Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sounds like booking yourself an extra hour or something would be the call, from everyone's experiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Aphrodite posted:

Sounds like booking yourself an extra hour or something would be the call, from everyone's experiences.

I've learned the hard way to always give yourself additional time on your travel days.

edit: WDW just released dates for Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 20, 2023

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Disneyland Trader Sam's says no availability for 60 days out, and the dining phone line is just a recorded message says to use the website or app, then hangs up. Guess I can keep trying online and hope something opens up.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Funzo posted:

Disneyland Trader Sam's says no availability for 60 days out, and the dining phone line is just a recorded message says to use the website or app, then hangs up. Guess I can keep trying online and hope something opens up.

Use this website to set an alert it you haven't already. It's free for two places.

https://mousedining.com/

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's actually 6 so if you're flexible on the day you want it, add them all.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Paul Proteus posted:

Use this website to set an alert it you haven't already. It's free for two places.

https://mousedining.com/

Set up an alert, thanks!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Funzo posted:

Keep checking. Last time I did reservations at DLR 60 days out it was all screwy but within a few days I was able to get all the stuff I wanted.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The text alerts are a good bit faster too so if you're dead set, it could be worth paying for a month.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cockblocktopus posted:

e: I'll probably try Sunshine Flyer next time assuming we still have a carseat-sized kid, but I'd still book Mears again. Just be prepared for a hiccup on the way back!
If it helps I thought everyone was talking about the Sunshine Flyer because that's the experience I had with it in March last year.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I always budget two extra hours on travel days, doesn’t matter if I’m driving or flying. Unless you are totally prepared (you are not) and everything goes perfectly (it will not) then your itinerary will remain a list on your phone, not actual reality.

Double that if you are with more than one other person.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Coasterphreak posted:

I always budget two extra hours on travel days, doesn’t matter if I’m driving or flying. Unless you are totally prepared (you are not) and everything goes perfectly (it will not) then your itinerary will remain a list on your phone, not actual reality.

Double that if you are with more than one other person.

If you're not by yourself, I agree with this. But at this point, my lists get done when I'm at WDW. Maybe I've just gotten more used to making saner lists?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

If you're not by yourself, I agree with this. But at this point, my lists get done when I'm at WDW. Maybe I've just gotten more used to making saner lists?

You have. Everyone thinks they can account for every minute and it’s silly.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Chapek maintenance budget killed a real one tonight with the loss of Disneyland's Fantasmic. DHS show is already scheduled for maintenance any day now.

https://twitter.com/LearnThisBiz/status/1650019305608867846

https://twitter.com/Nymo/status/1650034119076896771

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

If you have park hopper, can you go to the deluxe extended evening hours at your non-reservation park? (Eg starting at AK and ending the late night at MK) Can you enter after the park hopper hours “end”?

It seems like a yeah, but I was concerned about a technicality with park hopper hours ending before the extended hours begin.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Chapek maintenance budget killed a real one tonight with the loss of Disneyland's Fantasmic. DHS show is already scheduled for maintenance any day now.

https://twitter.com/LearnThisBiz/status/1650019305608867846

https://twitter.com/Nymo/status/1650034119076896771

what's real crazy is that foam doesn't automatically explode from cannons nearby or something for that. After the dragon roasted at WDW in Festival of Fantasy you'd think that they'd have some serious fire containment on the Fantasmic dragons.

The fact that my favorite girl was leaking fuel really sucks. I wonder how much of the stage she toasted.

ETA: gently caress your dreams, Mickey. Nightmares win.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

The fact that my favorite girl was leaking fuel really sucks. I wonder how much of the stage she toasted.

Dunno, but people who I'm certain know more than me have been politely intoning that the chance the show survives this seems dim. Anaheim Fire was at the park until 12:30am.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Man usually people overhype something going bad at Disney. You know that type of headline where it goes "SHOCKING and dangerous INFERNO at Disneyland" but holy poo poo that looks really really drat bad. Being California as well I'm sure the state will get involved and want some good answers as to what the hell.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Dunno, but people who I'm certain know more than me have been politely intoning that the chance the show survives this seems dim. Anaheim Fire was at the park until 12:30am.

I mean, shooting literal fireballs toward a crowd, for all they never miss, has been some super early 90s poo poo for a long time.

I doubt she'll come back how she was, I'd be surprised if Fantasmic as a show as a whole disappears forever from DLR.

E: turns out my spouse is right there today! I wonder if he'll go up to disneyland and get me some on-the-ground pics.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 23, 2023

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Good night, sweet prince.

WDW will be turning fire effects off on the parade float, but no change to Fantasmic since the ol' head on a stick uses a different ignition system.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The happy music in the videos and the kid screaming "NOOOOOOO!" really paint the weirdest picture.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Craptacular! posted:

If I had to guess, they’ll rebuild it with fog machines so the dragon just smokes.

Only individual in Disneyland allowed to lol

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

BadSamaritan posted:

If you have park hopper, can you go to the deluxe extended evening hours at your non-reservation park? (Eg starting at AK and ending the late night at MK) Can you enter after the park hopper hours “end”?

It seems like a yeah, but I was concerned about a technicality with park hopper hours ending before the extended hours begin.

Yes. You don’t have to have a reservation after 2 pm, provided you have scanned in to your reservation park at some time before that.

If you’re going to a park with deluxe extended hours and you aren’t staying deluxe, I’m not sure they’d let you in after the park has closed to the other guests for the day. If you happen to be in the park during deluxe extended hours and you aren’t staying deluxe, they won’t let you ride anything.

Park hopping hours end with park close, whether that’s closing to all or closing to guests other than deluxe.

Ainsley
Feb 17, 2011

You must go on a long journey before you can really find out how wonderful home is.
Is there a separate thread for Disneyland, or would this be a good place for a newbie to ask for help? I've been to Disneyworld a few times in the last few (pre-covid) years, but I haven't been to Disneyland since I was a teen and my parents handled all the logistics then, obviously. But friends are getting married in LA in November and the timing works out _perfectly_ to do Dapper Day on the same trip. (I'm pretty sure their wedding is at least partially an excuse to get all their vintage-loving friends from across the states in town so we can all go together). Since we'll only be doing Disneyland the one day, what should I know about booking in advance? Are fastpasses entirely gone / is Genie+ worth it? Do I need to book dining ahead of time? For that matter, dining recommendations? Ironically, I feel like we could blunder our way through WDW, but I'm actually more nervous about missing things or royally messing up the trip in the just the single park!

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
We were in the DLR parks yesterday, the morning after Murphy went up in flames, and you could barely tell anything happened. There was a little tarp area around where the dragon was, as far as I could tell the island was still open and castmembers I talked to were surprised it happened but didn't seem to think Fantasmic was gone for good or that anyone got hurt. They've done the show before without the dragon, and it's kind of the best advertising you can get.

The lack of maintenance and staffing in the DLR parks is really apparent these days. Security at the Toy Story lot took forever, as they had half the security lines open. Same for parking attendants, there was one person working the lot and it was chaos with folks just driving around wherever they pleased. Indy broke just as we were loading and it was down for hours, Incredicoaster was broken for the first few hours of the day, Matterhorn is down for refurbishment even though it was just down for months for refurbishment.

I read they are producing the Lilo & Stitch remake exclusively for Disney+ and it really made me wonder. If they took the $60+ million they are spending on that dumb remake and poured it into the parks for much-needed ride overhauls, staffing and fair pay for their castmembers, and general maintenance, it would be such a better investment!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Do they not have the fancy learning scanners WDW does? Those things you breeze through.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Ainsley posted:

Is there a separate thread for Disneyland, or would this be a good place for a newbie to ask for help? I've been to Disneyworld a few times in the last few (pre-covid) years, but I haven't been to Disneyland since I was a teen and my parents handled all the logistics then, obviously. But friends are getting married in LA in November and the timing works out _perfectly_ to do Dapper Day on the same trip. (I'm pretty sure their wedding is at least partially an excuse to get all their vintage-loving friends from across the states in town so we can all go together). Since we'll only be doing Disneyland the one day, what should I know about booking in advance? Are fastpasses entirely gone / is Genie+ worth it? Do I need to book dining ahead of time? For that matter, dining recommendations? Ironically, I feel like we could blunder our way through WDW, but I'm actually more nervous about missing things or royally messing up the trip in the just the single park!

This is the one-stop shop for all theme parks, actually.

You'll have to make a park reservation to get into Disneyland. With exactly one day, that will probably be more crowded because of the (unofficial) event, Genie+ is probably worth it. I'd probably spring for the individual lightning lane for at least one of the available rides, too. You didn't ask, but I wouldn't bother with park hopper unless you really want to experience something specific at DCA. It's a good park, but it's obviously worse than Disneyland and there's more than enough to fill a day.

Dining-wise, I don't think of Disneyland itself being spectacular. If you're interested, you can try to snag a spot at Oga's Cantina, which is pretty fun but not worth the time or money if you're not into the theme. Trader Sam's is a short walk from the park over at the Disneyland Hotel and is super fun; if you're going to spend a bunch of money on drinks and aren't enthusiastic about Star Wars, it's the better call (also probably easier to get into). Blue Bayou is the quintessential dining spot at the park (it overlooks Pirates), but the food is definitely overpriced. You also might not be interested in using all the time for a sit down meal. The churros at Disneyland are inexplicably way better than at WDW, and they are everywhere. The Galaxy's Edge quick service places are both very solid. Harbour Galley, over by the Mansion, has a good, sharable lobster roll. The Mint Julep in New Orleans Square is a classic.

If you haven't been to any Disney property in a while, mobile ordering through the app works well enough and is really good. You can place orders far ahead of time and pick up slots fill up, so as soon as you know you want something in the future, you should feel free to place the order. It was always a time saver for us, but we especially loved it for when you needed to save a viewing spot - you can grab a spot and place a mobile order for a snack at the bakery, then go pick it up when it's ready. That means the remainder of your party only has to defend your empty spot for a few minutes rather than the god-knows-how-long it would be if you had to wait in the normal line.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 24, 2023

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
And just to reiterate: Dapper Day is always packed, so definitely be prepared for everyone in the way posing for photos and long rear end lines for everything.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dapper Day seems to book the Disneyland Hotel, so Trader Sam's might be difficult that day.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Ainsley posted:

Boxman's post is spot on. If you're there for one day, don't get a park hopper. Get G+, and depending on how you want to do it, ILL or rope drop Rise of Resistance. I'm not sure if MMRR is ILL or not, so consider rope dropping that too. As far as dining goes, definitely go for a table at Blue Bayou. There's also good restaurants at the hotel and Downtown Disney. If you can squeeze in a second day for DCA, do it. It does have Carsland, one of the best themed areas and ride in any Disney park.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Debating if I will be able to handle spinning of the guardians ride at Epcot. Anyone know how it compares to space fantasy at USJ?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Wasn't Dapper Day the weekend before last?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Different days for each park.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Yeah please skip a pointless Lilo and Stich live action movie and fix the parks.

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1650440273615519748

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Jenny stop tweeting and make a 4 hour video about it please

Ainsley
Feb 17, 2011

You must go on a long journey before you can really find out how wonderful home is.
You guys are the best - many many thanks! We're neither of us big Star Wars fans, so that helps us nix out a decent chunk of the lines. My husband has actually never been to a single Disney park ever (hippie parents, not fundies thankfully), and he works as a set decorator for film/tv, so I suspect we'll both be pretty happy to spend most of the day just wandering and enjoying the theming work - it's basically the crowd level of Times Square in the summer, but with people actually picking up the trash and much less creepy costumed characters. I'd love to get on Indiana Jones, since it's not at WDW (though I know it breaks down pretty often) and I will demand a Haunted Mansion ride (being my favourite), but we're pretty easy-going otherwise. But THANK YOU for the reminder of Trader Sam's - we're both big Tiki connoisseurs, so that will be a major feather in the cap of the trip! Huzzah!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Ainsley posted:

You guys are the best - many many thanks! We're neither of us big Star Wars fans, so that helps us nix out a decent chunk of the lines. My husband has actually never been to a single Disney park ever (hippie parents, not fundies thankfully), and he works as a set decorator for film/tv, so I suspect we'll both be pretty happy to spend most of the day just wandering and enjoying the theming work - it's basically the crowd level of Times Square in the summer, but with people actually picking up the trash and much less creepy costumed characters. I'd love to get on Indiana Jones, since it's not at WDW (though I know it breaks down pretty often) and I will demand a Haunted Mansion ride (being my favourite), but we're pretty easy-going otherwise. But THANK YOU for the reminder of Trader Sam's - we're both big Tiki connoisseurs, so that will be a major feather in the cap of the trip! Huzzah!

You're in for a treat. They just re-opened Indiana Jones after a much needed refurbishment. I can't wait to check it out myself.

Haunted Mansion, Pirates, and Space Mountain at DLR are way better than their WDW counterparts, so check those out. Hit the Matterhorn as well. Check out the Roger Rabbit ride too. I'm not sure how much of it is open but definitely check out Toon Town. It's a pretty cool area even if most of it is kiddie rides. I think they're still doing some work on it though.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 25, 2023

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Jose Oquendo posted:

Haunted Mansion, Pirates, and Space Mountain at DLR are way better than their WDW counterparts,

Disagree on Haunted Mansion, other than the fact that it gets a cool holiday overlay. The Florida version is a bit longer and has more scenes.

Though I do dislike the projection hitchhiking ghost effect at the end and the interactive elements of the new queue of the FL version.

Ainsley
Feb 17, 2011

Oh poo poo, the Matterhorn is still up and running? For some reason, my brain had filed that one away as dead and buried - amazing!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's shut down right now for refurbishment but opens June 2nd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Virtue posted:

Debating if I will be able to handle spinning of the guardians ride at Epcot. Anyone know how it compares to space fantasy at USJ?

I don’t know about space fantasy but I didn’t think Guardians was all that spinny. I mean it does spin but it’s just a few rotations at a time and only a couple of times throughout the entire ride. I tend to feel kind of barfy after the tea cups but I didn’t feel like that at all after Guardians. I personally didn’t think it spins all that much.