Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
It's interesting that Abaddon's said he hadn't heard of Exalted before people started mentioning it, because Throne has basically the same weirdo vibe and aesthetics that game's version of Hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Oh man, I love Glorantha and had totally forgotten it existed.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

GunnerJ posted:

It's interesting that Abaddon's said he hadn't heard of Exalted before people started mentioning it, because Throne has basically the same weirdo vibe and aesthetics that game's version of Hell.

There's definitely a lot of thematic overlap between exalted and k6bd but Throne is nowhere near weird enough to be Malfeas. Where's the sun that's also a spear that's also a dude? The retrocausal desert? The snot-tentacle baby-loving Endermen?

some of the demons would fit right in at Throne though. Himself probably has dual citizenship

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 19, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
K6BD has strongly diverged from Exalted!Hell as its story and setting were expanded upon, but everything from Preem Nand's Hell to the drinking contest still has the vibes.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Yeah I should have been more clear, I meant the weird mutant devil-infested Throne that Alison got yeeted into at the start of the comic, at about that level of setting knowledge it felt a lot like how I imagined Malfeas.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

SniperWoreConverse posted:

If TES is the prototype K6BD then what is the protoTES

Glorantha gets thrown around a lot, read a bit and checks out, which gets to

Runa posted:

getting your writer high af and locking them in an office until they have a draft ready

or the vedas iunno I'm not that literate

extrapolating that would be the Bhagavad Gita (the Mahabharata in general), the Buddhist discourses ("if you find Buddha on the road, kill him"), the Upanishads. From there microdose some acid to get those along with gnosticism and hermeticism and hell yeah it's a pretty impressive core

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Schwarzwald posted:

K6BD has strongly diverged from Exalted!Hell as its story and setting were expanded upon, but everything from Preem Nand's Hell to the drinking contest still has the vibes.

Yeah, I like the style in those chapters, but the change was pragmatic. It's really hard to tell a coherent story when your characters are that alien. Not to say you can't do it - Rice Boy has a lot of very empathetic characters who are very bizarre - but in the end I'm glad he ended up focusing on more humanlike characters.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

KSBD also reminds me of Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny, a book about immortal, super-enhanced assholes who style themselves after Hindu gods and lord over the lesser folk.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Lord of Light is such a good book.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, I like the style in those chapters, but the change was pragmatic. It's really hard to tell a coherent story when your characters are that alien. Not to say you can't do it - Rice Boy has a lot of very empathetic characters who are very bizarre - but in the end I'm glad he ended up focusing on more humanlike characters.

They're still by far my favorite parts of the comic. Off the top of my head Prophet did a pretty great job telling a story fully immersed in that kind of otherworldliness, but John Prophet himself isn't a very interesting person in the way that any given character in KSBD is, and effectively every character and most objects and locations are Prophet.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 19, 2023

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Vattu's visual texture is untouchable and I loved the early chapters but it really ends up flailing around and settling on a very naive, kind of pat ending for a story about how empires fall. I hope K6BD sticks the landing better than that.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
The discussion on the nature of violence in the latest episode of Gundam: Witch from Mercury reminded me of K6BD and inspired me to make this edit:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

wdarkk posted:

The discussion on the nature of violence in the latest episode of Gundam: Witch from Mercury reminded me of K6BD and inspired me to make this edit:

I was thinking the exact same thing while watching that episode, almost said "Protect the rat!" out loud (they did protect the rat).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

habeasdorkus posted:

Unsounded doesn't have the multiversal scope of KSBD, but absolutely does have a deeply developed world with its own mythology, religions, and origins. It's also flippin' gorgeous. Content warning from pretty much chapter 2 onwards for gore, and at a couple points around chapter 10 for attempted sexual assault of a minor.

glad someone else beat me to it

some substantial overlapping themes, too

The author's elevator pitch:

quote:

The broadest summary would be: “An undead sorcerer makes friends with the betailed daughter of a crime boss, and the two set out into a world on the brink of political and metaphysical disaster, searching for a way forward and the truth behind their own existences.”

Sell the themes: Children must find a way to live in a world that affords them no special privileges. Idealism and causes make good people do and believe bad things. Cosmically, nothing is ever forgotten, and in life you are faced with the decision to add to the horrors of history, or ameliorate them with a pittance of compassion. Computer-magick is cool as balls.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

glad someone else beat me to it

some substantial overlapping themes, too

The author's elevator pitch:

:hmmyes: more things should have summaries like this.

I nearly forgot about Unsounded. That means I've got years of backlog to binge. :woop:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

OgreNoah posted:

Lord of Light is such a good book.

Creatures of Light and Darkness, however, was garbage

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Although it does contain an idea similar to ki rata

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The first half of the Books of Amber series was pretty cool. (the korwin ones)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The Merlin books were alright, but they were clearly written as part 2 of a 3 part story.

RI loving P, I guess.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mindblast posted:

:hmmyes: more things should have summaries like this.

I nearly forgot about Unsounded. That means I've got years of backlog to binge. :woop:

We're on the brink of being done

with the first book of two :v:

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
https://www.tumblr.com/orbitaldropkick/87187609921/mathangi-maya-mantra-quick-warmup-sketch

quote:

Mathangi "Maya" Mantra.

Quick warmup sketch. Antagonist in Kill Six Billion demons, a habitually drunk, overweight, Mendicant (begging) Knight. An insanely powerful swordswoman with a burning hunger for revenge.

Wields the Maybe Sword.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Bilirubin posted:

Although it does contain an idea similar to ki rata

Tell me more.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Google Jeb Bush posted:

We're on the brink of being done

with the first book of two :v:

Wat :shepface:

Is this their magnus opus or something. I love grand stories but Im also a little weary of them(will it ever finish? That sort of thing).

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ehhhhh. K6BD is grand, it doesn't feel one bit meandering. The plot is clear and clearly drawing toward a conclusion. It is taking a while, but I think that's more down to the quality of the output rather than the narrative dragging its feet.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Skippy McPants posted:

Ehhhhh. K6BD is grand, it doesn't feel one bit meandering. The plot is clear and clearly drawing toward a conclusion. It is taking a while, but I think that's more down to the quality of the output rather than the narrative dragging its feet.

They're talking about Unsounded. Which, it does seem kind of insane that Ashley Cope is only halfway through.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Mindblast posted:

Wat :shepface:

Is this their magnus opus or something. I love grand stories but Im also a little weary of them(will it ever finish? That sort of thing).

It is. The good thing is that it sounds like the end of book 1 will definitely be a finale for a bunch of the cast and for the Silver plot.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1649500341380042771/photo/1

“Secret techniques? Here, girl, I’ll show you a secret way to pick your teeth. Ha ha!”

-Meti ten Ryo to her student Mathangi

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Allison to death:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol if that's actually the question that owned her

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Does this mean she's not poisoned by sword law?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

She's a complete idiot.

But she's the right kind of idiot.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

It probably is! And her answer was probably that she was loving terrified of death, just like Jantris - every moment of their lives is based on death, dealing it out, obsessively terrified of their turn. Meanwhile the noodle vendor thinks about noodles. Even if they get killed in a universal war they were actually alive for a while, rather than spending their whole existence steeped in death

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Is that a statue of aesma?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Kind of reminds me of this one scene in Portal 2, where an AI is so stupid that he doesn’t recognize an AI killing logical paradox (“This statement is false”) as one and is unaffected

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I really love Abaddon's use of sound effects. "DOOM" is amazing every time it comes up in a really dramatic moment. The fact that doesn't seem to be an actual sound in the world, but coming from a feeling, is just sublime. Maya is making that sound with her face.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
love the frog guy

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

She was reminded in one moment that her whole life was consumed by killing people and trying not to get killed herself. And it's not fulfilling and it's not what she thought it would be but she got blinded by all the glitz and glamour of being a chuuni

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I knew that Todd was royalty, this whole time.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

habeasdorkus posted:

Does this mean she's not poisoned by sword law?

Head empty, sword sharp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

shirts and skins posted:

Is that a statue of aesma?

Sure looks like it.

Furiously dumbassing prostrate before the god of dumbassery