Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

happyhippy posted:

It got 29 miles into the sky before it shat itself.
Mars is 33.9 million miles when closest to earth.
So only another 1.2 million Starships to go.

eventually they'll have enough debris it's effecitvely a space bridge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
god it's gonna be so funny when it turns out elon forced them to make it that way and if they argued they would be fired

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

How many rockets have you guys launched?? Yeah that's what I thought.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

moist turtleneck posted:

god it's gonna be so funny when it turns out elon forced them to make it that way and if they argued they would be fired

did nobody from Cape Canaveral advise them? did they not even look at pictures of the pads next to the VAB at Kennedy?

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I've got the bazinga lung, Pop

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I'm seeing comments from SpaceX people saying that they expected the elevation of the launch mechanism to accomplish the same goal, which means they didn't ask anybody

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

mdemone posted:

did nobody from Cape Canaveral advise them? did they not even look at pictures of the pads next to the VAB at Kennedy?

The Bazingas are already defending it saying it’s the same style pad as used to launch Saturn I :laffo: rocket science never moved past the 60s apparently in Musk land

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

the joke, as always, is on us

to put this in perspective, the entire DOE office of science budget last year was about $8b

https://www.energy.gov/sites/default/files/2023-03/FY2024-PresidentsRequest-Overview-Final-1.pdf

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 358 days!
elon you have done an epic fail.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

shame about texas being run by right wing psychos, y'all are on your own

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

DrPossum posted:

to put this in perspective, the entire DOE office of science budget last year was about $8b

https://www.energy.gov/sites/default/files/2023-03/FY2024-PresidentsRequest-Overview-Final-1.pdf

The NSF got about $9B

https://www.nsf.gov/about/congress/119/highlights/cu22.jsp

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

I bet elon would hire von braun if he were alive to help out

Yeah who cares where they come down. That's not his department.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

NWS dropping shade

https://twitter.com/NWS/status/1649063182886146049?t=9ykafBzmAI6ioAFGL7HwYA&s=19

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Grey Fox posted:

I've got the bazinga lung, Pop

Do you get that from vaping?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
is there still that one musk groupie that homeschools his kid so he can go to every launch

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The Bazingas are already defending it saying it’s the same style pad as used to launch Saturn I :laffo: rocket science never moved past the 60s apparently in Musk land

And are they aware that Launchpads 39A and 39B were quite literally built to solve the problem that Saturn launches caused, i.e. the debris and destruction of the pad?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

mdemone posted:

Pointless government waste. Why waste time preventing failure modes when you can simply ruin your launch pad, blow up your rocket, and grab headlines?

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Lol

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

I would listen to this man, he's an expert on failure.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1649089283230404610?t=4VI0VkwnFTHyasmt-h-Utg&s=19

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
https://twitter.com/jrh2000/status/1649066843288621057?s=20

Methane rockets only produce water and co2

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
what's a little more particulate in the atmosphere ? you won't care.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
unfortunately this is the only way we can ensure access to space. there's no other way to get there (it's too far away)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

mdemone posted:

I'm seeing comments from SpaceX people saying that they expected the elevation of the launch mechanism to accomplish the same goal, which means they didn't ask anybody

it's called innovation

you can't do things just because it's the way they've always been done

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

So apparently NASA's plan is to use Starship as the moon-landing craft just like the LM was with Apollo. They're eyeing 2025 with the Artemis IIl launch

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

mdemone posted:

Love hiring freshly minted engineering graduates

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's a shame Minuteman is already the name for a missile because starship clearly needs a rebrand

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Texas is gonna be the desert version of Rapture in like 3 years

"gonna be"

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
https://twitter.com/actioncookbook/status/1648898367924125696

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

the joke, as always, is on us

look all I'm saying is that if my taxes paid for that explosion, I would have wanted it to be a little bigger is all.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

shyduck posted:

So apparently NASA's plan is to use Starship as the moon-landing craft just like the LM was with Apollo. They're eyeing 2025 with the Artemis IIl launch

lol

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ben shapino posted:

How many rockets have you guys launched?? Yeah that's what I thought.
I have launched 0 rockets that have exploded :colbert:

Shrecknet has issued a correction as of 18:25 on Apr 20, 2023

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

shyduck posted:

That poo poo ain’t happening

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
Oi Groimes, I blew up me rocket

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

shyduck posted:

do they have a backup? Lmao

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

punished milkman posted:

do they have a backup? Lmao

lol

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I'm being told that actually musk INTENDED to poo poo his pants for all the DATA

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Amazing to see it get so far on its first launch!

Considering just how radically large a step change in capabilities Starship-Superheavy represents, all while being a wholly reusable launch vehicle and spacecraft system, this truly was a phenomenal accomplishment.

It successfully lit its engines, didn’t nuke the pad and launch complex, lifted off, passed through Max-Q, flew a (mostly) nominal launch profile, handled multiple engine-out events, and made it to stage separation before going completely off-nominal. Even then, the 120 metre-tall Starship-Superheavy consist was able to remain intact as it began to cartwheel before the flight termination system was likely used to end the mission.

And to keep things in perspective, too, we all just witnessed by far the most powerful rocket ever built by humans fly for the first time. They’re going to figure this out and make it work. Of that I have no doubt.

Great day. So glad that I got to watch it live.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
everyone laughing and joking about the rocket exploding is just really nervous that someone might notice that billionaires are actually incredibly stupid and that corporations are terrible and incompetent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

cspam explodes at midnight