Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Sharkie posted:

There's not actually any science that shows that plastics are bad, unless you're burning and inhaling them or something.

The science knower has logged on

Ugh lovely snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Slow News Day posted:

I happen to be, uh, quite familiar with EWG, and they are basically a dumpster fire of an organization run by total cranks. Any sort of affiliation with them should be viewed with extreme skepticism.

I'd like to know more about this, if you're inclined to share.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
:confuoot: https://arstechnica.com/science/2023/02/antarctic-researchers-say-a-marine-heatwave-could-threaten-ice-shelves/

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
The north island of New Zealand is currently being absolutely ravaged by weeks worth of storms. Homes in west Auckland were ruined, towns down the east coast were destroyed by a cyclone and it just seems to keep coming. The concept of managed retreat from climate change is now in the news and in the public consciousness.

There's been a noticeable change in the terminology that the right wing is using here, especially since the start of Covid times, and I'm not sure if this is occurring over in the States as well but it's left me seething. "We need to adapt to climate change". A reasonable statement on its face, but it's not meant to support the groups who want to develop climate-proof infrastructure to mitigate the damage of these sorts of events, it's used to shut them down entirely. To adapt, in their eyes, is to simply accept it and move on.

"We can't overreact and make changes to our society, we simply need to adapt". This new influx of op-eds are utilizing the word "adapt" while completely negating its meaning. They ostensibly acknowledge climate change, but argue that the only way to combat it is by doing absolutely nothing at all. Why do you think people are buying this? Why are people nodding and accepting this blatant use of double speak?

Related:

This is a good local article that links covid scepticism with climate change scepticism. https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300809224/cyclone-gabrielle-scepticism-is-a-sting-in-covids-tail

Enver Zogha
Nov 12, 2008

The modern revisionists and reactionaries call us Stalinists, thinking that they insult us and, in fact, that is what they have in mind. But, on the contrary, they glorify us with this epithet; it is an honor for us to be Stalinists.

Beartaco posted:

There's been a noticeable change in the terminology that the right wing is using here, especially since the start of Covid times, and I'm not sure if this is occurring over in the States as well but it's left me seething. "We need to adapt to climate change". A reasonable statement on its face, but it's not meant to support the groups who want to develop climate-proof infrastructure to mitigate the damage of these sorts of events, it's used to shut them down entirely. To adapt, in their eyes, is to simply accept it and move on.
Yeah the trajectory is usually "this isn't a real problem" followed by "there is no alternative" followed by "all this suffering is the result of [foreign countries/immigrants/leftists/the Jews]"

Conservative thought pretty much requires that you either assume everything is basically fine, or that the status quo is being undermined by nefarious forces since why else would the status quo be upset?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Beartaco posted:

"We can't overreact and make changes to our society, we simply need to adapt". This new influx of op-eds are utilizing the word "adapt" while completely negating its meaning. They ostensibly acknowledge climate change, but argue that the only way to combat it is by doing absolutely nothing at all. Why do you think people are buying this? Why are people nodding and accepting this blatant use of double speak?

Because they don't want to give up their treats. At least for some in part because there is no method for doing so at the scale needed anyway.

Same way American Democrats tell themselves they are doing something. It's hard to face all that despair and on.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I just want to point out the irony that rich people (mostly tech giants/workers) have been fleeing to your country for the past several years specifically to avoid climate change.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Enver Zogha posted:

Yeah the trajectory is usually "this isn't a real problem" followed by "there is no alternative" followed by "all this suffering is the result of [foreign countries/immigrants/leftists/the Jews]"

Conservative thought pretty much requires that you either assume everything is basically fine, or that the status quo is being undermined by nefarious forces since why else would the status quo be upset?

We've done nothing and we're all out of ideas. Oh well, too late now.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Leon Sumbitches posted:

We've done nothing and we're all out of ideas. Oh well, too late now.

"In other news, why are my kids being such ungrateful little shits? I keep giving them the 'you can be anything you want so long as you study and work hard' speech that my parents gave me and their parents gave *them*, but they keep telling me to gently caress off and are cutting themselves while doing drugs they buy off a peg at the gas station." :colbert:

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Freakazoid_ posted:

I just want to point out the irony that rich people (mostly tech giants/workers) have been fleeing to your country for the past several years specifically to avoid climate change.

Yeah there is a whole industry of planes waiting fully fueled at all times to allow billionaires to flee to their not-so-secret bunkers in New Zealand at the drop of a hat.

And by hat I mean socioeconomic collapse and guillotines.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

jeeves posted:

Yeah there is a whole industry of planes waiting fully fueled at all times to allow billionaires to flee to their not-so-secret bunkers in New Zealand at the drop of a hat.

And by hat I mean socioeconomic collapse and guillotines.

I am broadly inclined to ascribe this at least as much to elite panic nonsense as to the elites knowing more about the situation than the average bear. During perfectly normal boring natural disasters a really weirdly high number of elites immediately freak out and assume the poors are about to turn into rage zombies so they flee and/or arm up, when the general response of non-elites is to help each other out in those times of dire need. This obviously reflects real fuckin poorly on what privilege and money do to your brain, of course.

roger ailes hiring extra armed security in case the gays assassinate him was probably not a sign that he had secret intel about massive networks of homosexual communists preparing to execute their master plan

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
which is unfortunate, i'm pretty pro-gay-communist

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
snip

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 25, 2023

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Freakazoid_ posted:

Oh I assure you, we know. We built our economy on the idea that James Cameron would produce Avatar 2 and bring jobs to our film industry, and instead he spent a decade producing cruelty free honey on a farm in the Wairarapa.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Google Jeb Bush posted:

This obviously reflects real fuckin poorly on what privilege and money do to your brain, of course.

Alternatively it shows the kind of sociopath you have to be to get to the top under capitalism.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I don't think this discussion deserves being tub-girled, imo. New Zealand is the location that every American claims they'll move to whenever anything bad happens over there. It's where you send your worst billionaires to try to establish their own Silicon Valley political parties.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

yea we sent them thats how that worked

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Earth is On Track For Catastrophic Warming, UN Warns

But hey, oil company profits have never been higher!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
:sigh:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-65120327?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

California is phasing out fossil field trucks (another good but too slow/late thing). Things are at the point where that’s actually a possible thing to do too.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

My favorite part of this article is this sentence:

quote:

A sensationalised depiction of the Amoc shutting down was shown in the 2004 climate disaster film The Day After Tomorrow

The word "sensationalized" performs an incredible amount of editorializing. They could have written

"A possible depiction of the Amoc shutting down was shown in the 2004 climate disaster film The Day After Tomorrow"

or

"Some of the theorized consequences of the Amoc shutting down were shown in the 2004 climate disaster film The Day After Tomorrow"

but they didn't, and that's probably on purpose.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Totally agree that they pull that poo poo as a rule, but to be fair in that movie they did literally run away from cold as if it were a slasher or monster. It was a sensationalized film and if I remember right it even did the "attractive couple sharing body heat" scene as predicted.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Yeah, it's been more than a decade since I saw that movie so my memory is admittedly fuzzy but letting it slide as just sensationalized would be underselling the plot.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Describing it as "a possible depiction" would be inaccurate.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Day after tomorrow succeeded in making climate change look like a ridiculous farce to the average movie goer. Sensationalized is far too generous a term.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Has anyone watched Extrapolations? It sounds interesting and I really think it's about time we had some serious fiction about the effects of climate change.

I don't think I have a way of getting Apple TV, but if it's worth it I'd pursue other means of watching it.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

its pretty lame so far. all the bad stuff happens off screen and the characters just blather the arguments we've all heard infinity times before.

in that sense it may actually be decent for kids, to help visualize and imagine some situations better than govt reports and charts will. but its not entertaining drama or action.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
you mean it's not "sensationalized"

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

on a scale of 1: ipcc youtubes about the ar6 report to 10: the freeze wave scene in day after tomorrow its a 2

basically if you asked chatgpt to summarize parts of the report as a conversation between two people, and then paid ed norton and sienna miller to read them out loud

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
:negative:
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1648329406325161984

You'd think that people at an organization literally called "The Department of Energy" would have a firmer grasp of thermodynamics. Of course, direct air capture has never been a scientifically serious proposal, it's just another distraction so we can continue doing nothing about climate change while patting ourselves on the back.

quote:

Leading the charge, the U.S. government has offered $3.5 billion in grants to build the factories that will capture and permanently store the gas - the largest such effort globally to help halt climate change through Direct Air Capture (DAC) and expanded a tax credit to $180/tonne to bolster the burgeoning technology.

No surprise, a lot of it is being handed out to the oil industry:

quote:

Occidental Petroleum has said it is well positioned for federal grants for what could be the biggest Direct Air Capture plants in the world. It declined to say whether it had applied for support for two DAC projects it is developing in Texas.

Oil companies are also far ahead in getting permitted, sequestration wells, guaranteed to keep the CO2 in the ground.

“We have the pore space to begin with, from the reservoirs that are depleted or depleting, that we've operated that now can be repurposed into sequestration by the engineers who know how that reservoir reacts,” said Chris Gould, chief sustainability officer, at California Resources Corp (CRC.N), an oil company that aims for net zero emissions and is working with Climeworks on a California project.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
“Your relentless pursuit of oil profits got us all into this mess, here have more money to pay lip service that both the government and your industry is doing anything about the problem!”

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

This is incredibly misleading. The point isn't to slow down the energy transition but to compensate for hard-to-abate industries like steel, cement, heavy machinery, etc. Over >90% of our funding is already put into emission reductions. The CDR company reference in the article even gave out a press release to expand upon just that -

https://twitter.com/Climeworks/status/1646475265785180160?s=20

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

This is incredibly misleading. The point isn't to slow down the energy transition but to compensate for hard-to-abate industries like steel, cement, heavy machinery, etc. Over >90% of our funding is already put into emission reductions. The CDR company reference in the article even gave out a press release to expand upon just that -
How was that misleading? Direct air capture from the atmosphere literally does not make sense economically or scientifically. Among other things, it itself requires a tremendous amount of energy. It is absolutely a cynical ploy to slow down transition, with the help of a lot of useful idiots. Look at who advocates carbon capture - it's all the industries with a vested interest in inaction.

Carbon capture from the source is less ridiculous, but that's not what the article I linked was talking about.

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 20, 2023

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

https://twitter.com/Climeworks/status/1646475265785180160?s=20

It's not misleading, you just appear to not understand the intricacies. There are many different CDR methods. The Reuters article is talking about the US deciding to fund research into one particular method, which is Direct Air Capture, i.e. capturing CO2 from air. It is grossly energy intensive — even if we figured out a way to do it with perfect efficiency, you're still talking about capturing only 400 parts out of 1 million. The energy accounting dictates that it only really makes sense in places that have a) abundant clean energy nearby and b) no other contenders for that clean energy (such as a town). There are only a few places in the world that fit that bill, so the tech is never going to scale to a point where it can make a meaningful contribution to CDR as a whole.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

cat botherer posted:

How was that misleading? Direct air capture from the atmosphere literally does not make sense economically or scientifically. Among other things, it itself requires a tremendous amount of energy. It is absolutely a cynical ploy to slow down transition, with the help of a lot of useful idiots. Look at who advocates carbon capture - it's all the industries with a vested interest in inaction.

Carbon capture from the source is less ridiculous, but that's not what the article I linked was talking about.

Are we not supposed to experiment or something? There are industries that are hard-to-decarbonize or are you saying we aren't going to use steel?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Are we not supposed to experiment or something? There are industries that are hard-to-decarbonize or are you saying we aren't going to use steel?
Steel production doesn't need coke for one. Look up electric arc furnaces. You are also continuing to conflate direct air capture with carbon capture from emission sources, which makes your entire point incoherent and misleading.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Slow News Day posted:

It's not misleading, you just appear to not understand the intricacies. There are many different CDR methods. The Reuters article is talking about the US deciding to fund research into one particular method, which is Direct Air Capture, i.e. capturing CO2 from air. It is grossly energy intensive — even if we figured out a way to do it with perfect efficiency, you're still talking about capturing only 400 parts out of 1 million. The energy accounting dictates that it only really makes sense in places that have a) abundant clean energy nearby and b) no other contenders for that clean energy (such as a town). There are only a few places in the world that fit that bill, so the tech is never going to scale to a point where it can make a meaningful contribution to CDR as a whole.

Define meaningful. Who says it won't scale?

cat botherer posted:

Steel production doesn't need coke for one. Look up electric arc furnaces. You are also continuing to conflate direct air capture with carbon capture from emission sources, which makes your entire point incoherent and misleading.

I'm not conflating anything. They are two different things and it's the same company you referenced.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Define meaningful. Who says it won't scale?

I'm not conflating anything. They are two different things and it's the same company you referenced.
The thing you linked was talking about carbon capture from emissions sources. The one I linked was expressly talking about direct air capture. These are different things that you are continuing to insist are the same, making your entire point utter nonsense. How many times does this need to be repeated for you?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I linked an article that describes how carbon dioxide removal (CDR) solutions while a small aspect are important part of the energy transition. This is not limited to Direct-Air-Capture (DAC) but absolutely includes that technology. The article states these serious proposals even if largely experimental or small scale and aren't suppose to substitute for emission reductions.

Its not a pseudo-technology to play the rubes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I linked an article that describes how carbon dioxide removal (CDR) solutions while a small aspect are important part of the energy transition. This is not limited to Direct-Air-Capture (DAC) but absolutely includes that technology. The article states these serious proposals even if largely experimental or small scale and aren't suppose to substitute for emission reductions.

Its not a pseudo-technology to play the rubes.
DAC is a pseudo-technology to fool the rubes. It's a complete pipe dream and doesn't make sense from basic physics. CCS from emission sources isn't complete bullshit but it is absolutely being pushed for cynical reasons. Again, you are confusing this whole situation by continuing to conflate these things.