Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

credburn posted:

I only watched Xena as a kid, but it always came across to me as Gabrielle was in love with Xena but Xena was either oblivious or just het.

i don't think so. at least from what i can remember, there always seemed to be some mutual affection. in fact, the first time i remember there being an instance of blatant romance, where xena and gabrielle kissed (not shown on-screen), xena was the one that initiated it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Mr Interweb posted:

if you're interested in seeing a campy, fantasy based version of greek mythology that's very, VERY loosely based on many of the original stories, give them a shot.

Way back when I was in college and working in retail, a coworker friend and I were having lunch in the employee break room and Xena was on the TV. We were having fun riffing on it when another coworker told us, in all seriousness, that we should stop because the show was based in historical fact. That has stuck with me to this day.

Anyway, that's my Xena story, and I guess I'll have a frosty and a small fry. Thanks.

Zamboni Rodeo has a new favorite as of 01:15 on Apr 20, 2023

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Wait, I have another Xena story, I forgot I had two

I had a whole-rear end routine where I'd set up my TV and put a cloth against the crack under the door so I could watch Xena late at night without my parents seeing the light.

They probably saw the cloth but didn't give a poo poo, but to me then I was getting away with something.

Anyhow, after all that drat trouble and waiting with anticipation, Lady Di goes and wipes out in a car and Xena got bumped for breathless news coverage about someone who was, to me, that woman from collector's plates infomercials.

I was so furious that, to this day, it's the only thing I think of when I see or hear anything about Lady Di. My Xena tragedy.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Haha, I was also surreptitiously up late when it happened except in my case it was to listen to K-ROCK which in itself hasn't probably aged well

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I was in the backseat of a car with my parents driving around Colorado in the middle of nowhere on vacation and the first radio station we got in hours had an announcer saying something about Prince Charles requesting his ex wife's body be returned to England.

Stonehouse Beach
Feb 8, 2019
My favorite thing about the shows was Kevin Smith's portrayal of Ares. Hit just the right mix of menacing & cowardly and the way he played off each lead gave him a different angle, the jealous brother on one hand and the spurned stalker on the other (though in both cases there was the shame that they were better fighters than the literal God of War)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Stonehouse Beach posted:

My favorite thing about the shows was Kevin Smith's portrayal of Ares. Hit just the right mix of menacing & cowardly and the way he played off each lead gave him a different angle, the jealous brother on one hand and the spurned stalker on the other (though in both cases there was the shame that they were better fighters than the literal God of War)

Shame about that guy. I always thought he would make a fantastic Goa'uld on SG-1.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Stonehouse Beach posted:

Yeah, Ares was great. Really tragic about the kevin smith though :smith:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Oh, that's rough, I didn't know that.

Toshimo posted:

I always thought he would make a fantastic Goa'uld on SG-1.

Spot on!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Wait, what the gently caress is this? Young Hercules starring Ryan Gosling?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUHUVnJIbpE

I've never ever heard of that but it apparently ran for 50 episodes??

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

oh yeah, sort of forgot about this myself.

unlike adult hercules/xena, this aired on fox kids. had a much longer run than i realized. i couldn't really get into it though cause it was further toned down and even goofier than its predecessor

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I remember the original Hercules miniseries that ran before the series and being very good in parts. The fight with Antaeus I still remember clearly because the design was so good and the holding him off the ground as he fell apart was so great.

I can’t find it on YouTube, which may be good, I can keep my memories.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

God of War 3 got Sorbo to voice Hercules again which was pretty cool.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that show.
I remember there was one episode with an atheist though. Like, he just straight up didn't believe in the gods despite Hercules literally being right there talking to him.

There was a scene where the atheist kid uses some physics thing to make it where Herc was physically unable to pick up a chair if he stood in a certain position, but a normal random girl could do so easily while doing so.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Mr Interweb posted:

Yeah, Ares was great. Really tragic about the kevin smith though :smith:

Aphrodite was also amazing. They both had petty greek god energy.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

remember when Sam Raimi and Robert Tappert also produced a tv series based on Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series and turned them from a freak-rear end libertarian screed with heavy bdsm overtones into the same kind of camp fantasy nonsense

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I never saw that show but that was honestly the best outcome. It pissed off the author, prevented his insane viewpoints from reaching a wider audience, and gave TV watchers some fun fantasy romps to enjoy.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Remulak posted:

I remember the original Hercules miniseries that ran before the series and being very good in parts. The fight with Antaeus I still remember clearly because the design was so good and the holding him off the ground as he fell apart was so great.

I can’t find it on YouTube, which may be good, I can keep my memories.

loved the antaeus fight. funny enough, i was only familiar with it cause it was part of an episode that was basically a clip show. never saw the movie it was based on. but i did see a few of the others, and thought they were pretty decent.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Aphrodite was also amazing. They both had petty greek god energy.

yeah aphrodite was awesome. did appreciate giving her the airhead, beach girl personality. she was probably the funniest recurring character in the series.

Alaois posted:

remember when Sam Raimi and Robert Tappert also produced a tv series based on Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series and turned them from a freak-rear end libertarian screed with heavy bdsm overtones into the same kind of camp fantasy nonsense

somebody once described it as the best worst show on t.v. at the time and i think that was pretty accurate

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Stonehouse Beach posted:

Funny thing is from the sound of it that's actually fairly spot on to how the actual Greeks saw Ares; a bloodthirsty unstable psycho who's also a massive coward and tends to literally run off crying to mommy the moment he actually gets hurt. (despite being literally immortal)

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Kwyndig posted:

I never saw that show but that was honestly the best outcome. It pissed off the author, prevented his insane viewpoints from reaching a wider audience, and gave TV watchers some fun fantasy romps to enjoy.

And gave every LARPer in New Zealand a bunch of new costumes once it got cancelled and they had to sell off the entire wardrobe and props department.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny thing is from the sound of it that's actually fairly spot on to how the actual Greeks saw Ares; a bloodthirsty unstable psycho who's also a massive coward and tends to literally run off crying to mommy the moment he actually gets hurt. (despite being literally immortal)

It should be noted that different regions in Greece had varying stances on the different gods. For instance, Athena was the patron goddess of Athens, so their stories would naturally favor Athena and boo Ares, etc. These would probably also vary throughout history, but I'm not an expert.

But yeah, most of the surviving Greek myths and legends seem to consider Ares something of a jackass. I'm sure there were some Greeks at the time who liked him more, but y'should have written more if you wanted people to know that.

Sidenote: This also applies to Nordic mythology. As an example, from what I understand, some early surviving myths place Tyr (the one-handed war god) as the head god of the pantheon.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Suleman posted:

It should be noted that different regions in Greece had varying stances on the different gods. For instance, Athena was the patron goddess of Athens, so their stories would naturally favor Athena and boo Ares, etc. These would probably also vary throughout history, but I'm not an expert.

But yeah, most of the surviving Greek myths and legends seem to consider Ares something of a jackass. I'm sure there were some Greeks at the time who liked him more, but y'should have written more if you wanted people to know that.

Sidenote: This also applies to Nordic mythology. As an example, from what I understand, some early surviving myths place Tyr (the one-handed war god) as the head god of the pantheon.

Which also makes the Roman version/equivalent (short version, the Romans were definitely big Greeaboos but also their religious ideals were more about syncretism and assuming everyone had the same gods under different names) probably the most radical departure, given Mars was basically the mascot god of the Legions and represented all kinds of aspects of their warfare and lives, including an agricultural aspect for how Legionaries would be rewarded parcels of land to retire on.

IIRC for an equivalent in modern widespread living religions, Hinduism is one example of a very broad and varied set of believes, practices and scriptures under a quite loose umbrella that mostly exists for political convenience.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Suleman posted:

And again, just because you're head of the pantheon doesn't make you the most popular. An easy way of measuring this with norse mythology is to see how many places that are named after the gods. And a lot of places are named after Tor while almost no places are named after Odin or Tyr.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Most of what I remember from Xena and Hercules is just the wole Dahak/Hope storyline which built up a lot of awe for this new random villain only for him to not even last the whole season and get beaten after he transforms into a Power rangers costume.
(At least Hope killed Xena's son and gave us a musical episode!)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
They both got a day of the week though! I love that the weekdays are named after Norse gods, why the gently caress not

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Given the mythology it's easy to underestimate how much Hestia/Vesta was important to actual day to day life and worship, being the god of the hearth and home, and basically living in a house. The Vestal Virgins were one of the most important institutions to the Roman civic religion, being basically high priestesses. The modern version, at least in Scion's take, would be her basically being the god of power plants and (domestic) electricity.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Which also makes the Roman version/equivalent (short version, the Romans were definitely big Greeaboos but also their religious ideals were more about syncretism and assuming everyone had the same gods under different names) probably the most radical departure, given Mars was basically the mascot god of the Legions and represented all kinds of aspects of their warfare and lives, including an agricultural aspect for how Legionaries would be rewarded parcels of land to retire on.

IIRC for an equivalent in modern widespread living religions, Hinduism is one example of a very broad and varied set of believes, practices and scriptures under a quite loose umbrella that mostly exists for political convenience.

also, unlike ares, mars was supposed to be brave and honorable

DeafNote posted:

Most of what I remember from Xena and Hercules is just the wole Dahak/Hope storyline which built up a lot of awe for this new random villain only for him to not even last the whole season and get beaten after he transforms into a Power rangers costume.
(At least Hope killed Xena's son and gave us a musical episode!)

oh god, somehow i completely forgot about that plotline/villain. this was the god that was said to be so powerful that he struck fear into the hearts of all the olympians. and yet, when he finally reveals himself, the "fight" that he had with hercules and iolaus was one of the most abrupt and anti-climactic sequences i've ever seen in media. the guy was beaten in literally under two minutes by some half-assed judo move. just absolutely pathetic all around. :argh:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Alaois posted:

I loving hate Sword of Truth so loving goddamn much.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

HopperUK posted:

They both got a day of the week though! I love that the weekdays are named after Norse gods, why the gently caress not

They're literally 1:1 swaps for the gods that the Romans named their days after (the ones with planets named after them), except Saturday which they just kept as-is.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Ares gets a bad rep, but I always liked him as low-key the least misogynistic male Olympian. I've never found a myth involving him raping anyone (which is pretty goddamn novel among this pantheon), he's a huge momma's boy to Hera, all his most notable kids are daughters on whom he dotes constantly, even Aphrodite likes him.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Asterite34 posted:

Ares gets a bad rep, but I always liked him as low-key the least misogynistic male Olympian. I've never found a myth involving him raping anyone (which is pretty goddamn novel among this pantheon), he's a huge momma's boy to Hera, all his most notable kids are daughters on whom he dotes constantly, even Aphrodite likes him.

That kind of tracks. The Greeks had some hosed up ideas about gender relations, so going "hah hah look at the dumb idiot brute who cares what women thinks and courts them as if they were people" would be completely in character.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Xena was good for a few seasons but all true fans when it went off the rails when Gabrielle cut her hair

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Some kind of Samson and Delilah situation?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

More of a "the woman cutting her hair is symbolic of personal character growth/claiming her agency and now she is ready to be a fighter instead of a weak and ineffectual sidekick/damsel in distress" trope.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The only specific Xena ep I remember is where they stopped at an inn and someone was murdered and it was like a mystery episode. Autolycus was there and somebody tried to say he'd done it, and their evidence was 'he was stealing from the dead guy's room'. And his defense was 'yeah of course I was?'

Stonehouse Beach
Feb 8, 2019
I remember an ep that was a Groundhog Day-style time loop, and since everything will get undone without consequence anyway, one loop Xena straight-up murders Ted Raimi so she can sleep

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Suleman posted:

Also worth noting that ancient Greek religion as it was practiced portrayed the gods pretty differently from what we see in drama and epic poems and the like.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Stonehouse Beach posted:

I hadn't watched the shows so the idea of 90's Kevin Smith as Ares really threw me for a loop (it's a Xena pun, get it)

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Ripley shaves her head in Alien3, so maybe it's like a reverse Growing the Beard situation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Suleman posted:

Most of the city states had patron gods and their local stories put them as chief protagonist. As mentioned Athena was Athens, Sparta had Ares and Olympia had Zeus for just a few examples.

Olympia was a political powerhouse early in the Hellenic period so Zeus had a place of prominence in the mythos, but their clout had drastically waned by the time Athens was ascendant.

Athens' versions of the stories are mostly what survive to this day, so you get Zeus as a debauched philanderer who has less power than he thinks he does and Ares as a tough talking coward.

The myths are mostly just PR aggrandizing their chosen God while insulting the other cities through theirs.