Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

oh jay posted:

Yes. Those aren't their "souls" in the mindpace, it's their quirk factors. All Might shouldn't there at all because he has no quirk but something something he made OFA his own.

I think it's a dumb explanation but it's the one we were given, and it will probably stand because I can't think of any satisfying twist that could come from changing it.

Has it ever been actually explained what a quirk factor is? The wikia says "collective physical and genetic traits that compose a person's Quirk", which doesn't sound relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Staltran posted:

Has it ever been actually explained what a quirk factor is? The wikia says "collective physical and genetic traits that compose a person's Quirk", which doesn't sound relevant.
It's a nebulous thing. The first movie established that your quirk and "quirk factor" are sorta two different things- like if your quirk was Cyclops Laser Eyes, the quirk factor is the power behind it. If your eyes got hosed up or you used it so much you essentially ran out of juice that means your quirk factor decreased. At least that's kinda how I took it.

Hawks still had his wing quirk, but due to all of the injuries he took the "factor" was essentially withered away. Same with Aizawa- he kept getting his eyes hosed up and it weakened the quirk's effectiveness and his ability to use it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I don’t think Aizawa’s quirk is any weaker, it’s just harder to use effectively with only 1 eye.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

RatHat posted:

I don’t think Aizawa’s quirk is any weaker, it’s just harder to use effectively with only 1 eye.
The factor is basically how much eye he has left. Matches what AFO says about what's left of Hawk's wings. He still has his wings, but they're all hosed up.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Terper posted:

I'm a Quirky individual

*holds up quirk*

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Kanos posted:

Yeah that's the weird part. If these are just genetic memories then there should be a fully formed All Might in Deku's head because he passed it on and the quirk is completely burnt out of him, but the half-formed ghostly All Might(because the real one's still alive) implies some kind of metaphysical soul thing going on.
AM could sense the conversation Deku was having with the vestiges, so it's pretty clear there's a metaphysical aspect. (ch 304 onward)

Lt. Lizard posted:

Lmao, if that ancient janky fan translation that used individuality instead of quirk was actually correct all along.
Individuality was always the most correct translation, but it also sounds terrible compared to quirk.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
"quirk" was always a banger of a name for superpowers

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's a really good localization that mostly captures the intent of the name until you get to the "your quirk is also sorta your force ghost??" Stuff

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Farg posted:

"quirk" was always a banger of a name for superpowers

:yeah: 100% agree

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I hope so, just because everyone being extremely angry about Mineta doing something useful and not horny would give me immense entertainment.

You misunderstand. Mineta will be very horny about his ball being on AFO's butt.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

AfO has something embarrassing stuck to his rear end right as he regresses back to age where he's incredibly vulnerable to bullying.

This is how Bakugo became the greatest hero...

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Bakugo has almost been dead for eight months, 24 whole chapters!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Is he still on Namek?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Is his jeart still beating?

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

The Birdcage is gonna close in on everyone any second now.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/7356/my-hero-academia-chapter-386?&date=20-4-2023-23

rip all might but I love that his strategy is "he loves being a big monologuey rear end in a top hat and hates me so i can use that to distract him"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
My prediction is Stain'll paralyze AFO with some of his blood gotten from this fight, saving All Might, then Shigaraki will drag the fight with Deku here, AFO will be like "Ah yes, we can finally merge" and Shigaraki will be "The future is now old man, hurry up and die." Notably, they describe the rewinding and aging as the opposite of AFO/Shigaraki in this relationship, Shigaraki is infecting him.

And it absolutely is a Shigaraki thing to just immediately kill the source of his hatred, and not an AFO thing. AFO would deliberately skip All Might so he could kill Deku in front of him, or so he could seed every last vestige of society crumble, to know that he's lost in every sense of the word. Shigaraki doesn't play games like that, that's the point of the Overhaul chess metaphor. He doesn't scheme or think 'How can I best hurt this guy' he thinks "I'm going to just shoot the guy on the other side of the board." Shigaraki would kill All Might, AFO would save him for last. The fact AFO isn't able to control himself is proof he's become the lesser of this duo.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Apr 21, 2023

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Nee chapter, what trash do we get this week?I think I actually liked this chapter. Maybe I’m just used to how bad it has been, but this seems like an actual good chapter. Like it seems like we will get Stain and All Might vs AfO which actually sounds perfect and I didn’t even think about it as a thing. The Dabi stuff seems fine as well. I think I might be feeling a bit optimistic about this conclusion now.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Hey i could follow what was happening

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Ryaomon posted:

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/7356/my-hero-academia-chapter-386?&date=20-4-2023-23

rip all might but I love that his strategy is "he loves being a big monologuey rear end in a top hat and hates me so i can use that to distract him"

I expected this moment a lot sooner than it ultimately happened, but the set up is on point.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Ryaomon posted:

Man, All Mights crazy grin as he remembers Deku asking if you can be a hero without a quirk got me. All Might is so cool.

Stain paralyzing AfO is a good call. Personally I'd love it if he just has to stand there paralyzed until he disappears though. It would be amazing karma for him to just fade away without even getting any final words. Bonus if All Might and Stain sacrifice themselves so it's just him alone without anyone there to give a poo poo.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Yeah I actually kinda like this chapter. I am huge sucker for the chapter title being used to punctuate the end of a chapter.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It does, once again, circle back to the beginning of the story. There is no reality in which anyone comes out of this story looking like a bigger hero than All Might. He is the platonic ideal of heroism, he shows up and suddenly everything is ok. His catch phrase is just perfect. "I am here!" and that's that. Even if he dies here, he's a half dead rando with no power standing up against a badly written demi-god with every loving power you could think of. In comparison giving Deku a gross of random powers just diminishes him a bit.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
While paying attention to numbers in something like this is pointless, I did it anyway. Apparently Tsar Bomba's fireball was about 8km wide. I assume it wouldn't have cremated everything at the edge, though. So roughly equivalent blast, probably? I don't think the Todorokis have ever made shockwaves with their heat explosions, though, so maybe he wouldn't break windows a few hundred km away.

AM trolling AFO is indeed great.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Hell yeah, called it! All Might rules so hard.

I also liked Iida putting his armor on Todoroki to protect him while they went max speed.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
gently caress me, when I'm sure there's not a cool left in this book somebody reminds me he's here.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
MHA has been rough for a very long time imo, but this chapter kicked rear end

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
gently caress yeah. while we did call it All Might continuing to show why he’s a bad rear end. I am hoping with him and Stain showing up maybe this finally be the turning point and no more hopelessness… maybe.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
What Horikoshi is clearly going for:

What we're getting imo:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

All Might is still so loving cool

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Carlosologist posted:

All Might is still so loving cool
What's hilarious to me is that All Might shows Horikoshi gets Superman better than the majority of people who wrote his comics.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Nessus posted:

What's hilarious to me is that All Might shows Horikoshi gets Superman better than the majority of people who wrote his comics.

I've always kind of liked that All Might has always just kind of sucked as a teacher and owned up to that fact. Like, he absolutely tried his best to teach Deku how to use his power and whatnot using what he knew, but after a while he wound up admitting that it just kind of came easily to him because of how swole he'd been and whatnot.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I must say I am sort of fond of the extreme cross-hatching Horikoshi's been doing, does a bit to sell the general mood.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
ALL might going full IronBats with the briefcase there and car right?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It helps explain how he dealt with those goons that confronted him when Nagant was fighting Deku.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
I think it's totally believable that after Deku and All-Might came clean to the school that Hatsume and the rest of the Support class got inspired to make some All-Might Hulkbuster gear and since this manga is throwing everything out the window who's also to say that Eri didn't rewind All Might just enough that he could put some power into the suit for a slugger or two

This manga is going off the rails the same way Bleach did so anything's possible, I just wish the artstyle wasn't so hard to follow where every character starts to look exactly the same

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Maybe I'm a fool for thinking this, but I believe All Might can defy his death flags once again.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

AFO would have to be strangling the life out of the villain ball for that to happen.

Then again, that is kind of his thing, so you might be right.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I mean if All Might Dies here It would just be the absolute worst loving writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
So you're saying it's very likely.