Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I could see myself not getting any new clubs this year but it's too early to tell. The only thing I got last year was a Ping G425 LST head.

Turns out the tournament I have in a couple hours is actually Driver, 7i, putter, rather than just 7i (which I think would have been more fun, oh well). I hit my 7i more times yesterday than I can count and started being able to judge distance fairly well on chips and pitches so we'll see how it goes today. I wish I could hit driver off the deck but that has never been something I am good at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
Went to what was a new course for me - Cummings Cove (yes I giggled at the name). Didn't have a great overall score but had some legit bogeys that could have been pars. Also got my first ever chip in to cup shot today, which by itself was a highlight. Every course around me has their greens punched and HEAVILY sanded so I'm hoping its better on vacation when I play a few courses on the NC coast.

Oh and for sandwich/drink healthyness chat, had three beers but no uncrustables - it was pack of nabs and spicy peanut weather. Others in the foursome complained of dry sandwiches from the drink cart.
For statistics purposes, there were no uncrustables available at the club house or drink cart, and neither was regular PB&J.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

We ended up shooting -9 and won 3 out of the 4 skins so it worked out great. It was pretty funny after playing a bunch of holes in a row with chippy 7 irons for like 30, 50, 80, 100, etc. yardages and then coming to a 175 yard par 3 where a full 7 was perfect, I had to take quite a few practice swings just to remember what a normal swing felt like. I hit a driver off the deck on a par 5 and put in on the green from 240 which was easily the best result I've ever had from playing that shot. Honestly with the team we had, even with a full bag of clubs we probably would have only shot like -14 so it's funny how well we adapted. There were a few short shots where some sort of wedge would have made a big difference with being able to land on the green and stop near the pin rather than relying on a lucky bounce in the rough/fringe but we still never had more than a 5-6 footer for par all day even on our bad holes.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
So for whatever reason I’ve started doing this thing where I’m turning my head to look downrange before the club even makes contact with the ball. With the result you’d expect. Is there some sort of trick or mental focus I can use to keep my attention on the spot the ball is in until after it leaves the club face? It’s like my mind and my eyes are super-focused on the ball to the point I can’t even force myself to not anticipate hitting it. I know, that’s a lot of the “hit instinct” I’m supposed to avoid, but I can’t figure it out.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Lincoln posted:

So for whatever reason I’ve started doing this thing where I’m turning my head to look downrange before the club even makes contact with the ball. With the result you’d expect. Is there some sort of trick or mental focus I can use to keep my attention on the spot the ball is in until after it leaves the club face? It’s like my mind and my eyes are super-focused on the ball to the point I can’t even force myself to not anticipate hitting it. I know, that’s a lot of the “hit instinct” I’m supposed to avoid, but I can’t figure it out.

What worked for me was not denying the instinct, but limiting it. I shift my focus to the portion of the ball facing down range. So, I'm consciously changing what I'm looking at instead of trying to stay fixed, but in a functionally meaningless way.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I was gonna buy a new TSi3 driver in late 2021 and play a bunch of golf in 2022. Neither happened.

At this point, I may as well wait for the new driver to be seeded in June. At the very least, I’ll be able to get a TSi3 for cheap.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 16, 2023

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

New (to me) 2020 Forged Tec One Length irons, 5-GW. It's a reward to myself for finally sticking to single digit handicap. It's my first ever forged set! I've fluctuated between 9-12 since June last year but since the season picked back up I've kept it reliably single figures. Golfing for five years has finally paid off! I'll never be as good as some of you lifers, but I can reliably say I no longer embarrass myself on the golf course.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Josh Lyman posted:

I’m team Nature Valley Granola Bar

Kind bars aren't bad either, just a little pricey. I found the new swing for most of 9 holes today. Even called a couple good halfway in. gently caress yeah :)

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Golf league starts today. I've never been less enthusiastic for it, my swing is just shot

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
40 minute frost delay. Nothing I love more than sitting in short sleeves, putting on sun block waiting for the frost delay to end.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

daslog posted:

Golf league starts today. I've never been less enthusiastic for it, my swing is just shot
Hope this doesn't come across as gatekeeping as it wasn't my intention.

YMMV, but when I'm there, if I don't get a lesson before starting play or hitting the first ball, I will immediately ingrain all my old bad habits from long-term memory. It always feels like I'm not swinging very hard, when I'm going a million miles an hour. I've felt that exact same feeling before and I'vs always tried to fix it myself with BAD results and further ingraining bad habits from 20 years of upper body over the top swings. I always come back to the 50 bucks I should have put on a lesson in the first place after the time and frustration and realized I would have been a hell of a lot better off eating a little money up front.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Yep I did the lesson already. Now that I'm older, I've accepted that golf is a continuous fight against yourself and your tendencies.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Irons were on fire yesterday, 11/18 GIR

putting was not on fire, had 0 birdies and a couple of those GIR's turned into bogeys (and one into double)

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I've never asked for my money back from a course before, but was sorely tempted today. Fairways punched yesterday and today, so we were watching them punch fairways we were playing, so of course all the plugs still in the fairways and rough. Greens were punched three weeks ago and had not been rolled or resanded, so not just bumpy, but lumpy. They had been soaking the fairways to aid in the punching, so I averaged ten paces on fairways to get out of casual water. It was brutal.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

torgeaux posted:

I've never asked for my money back from a course before, but was sorely tempted today. Fairways punched yesterday and today, so we were watching them punch fairways we were playing, so of course all the plugs still in the fairways and rough. Greens were punched three weeks ago and had not been rolled or resanded, so not just bumpy, but lumpy. They had been soaking the fairways to aid in the punching, so I averaged ten paces on fairways to get out of casual water. It was brutal.

I get where you're coming from there. At least they're spending the money though.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Farking Bastage posted:

I get where you're coming from there. At least they're spending the money though.

Yeah, the maintenance is necessary, but maybe don't A, not announce on the website that the maintenance is happening and B, charge full price.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

With golf season starting to rev up now - shall we do a group WITB for the 2023 season?

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
My witb for 2023 is pretty set, only have one club that i would say is on the hot seat but likely safe.

Driver: Ping g410 plus 9 degree head playing 10 degrees and 1 flat, va conposites Drago 65 shaft. Had this for about 3 years now and im super comfortable with it. No complaints.

3w: ping g410 14.5 degree head with everything standard, va conposites Drago 75 shaft. If i had to pick one club to hit a fairway with or else i would die on the spot it would be this one. Possibly my favorite club of all time. I officially have 3 backup heads in case this one breaks.

3 and 4 hybrid: ping g410 19 degree playing standard and 22 degree playing 23 degrees, both with va conposites raijin 85 hybrid shafts. The 3 is beloved, the 4 is currently the one club in my bag that feels absolutely alien in my hands and is a couple swings away from getting swapped for a srixon u85 4 iron with a dg 120 x100 that ive been striping on the range the last few trips.

Irons: mizuno jpx 921 tour 5-gw with x flex oban ct 115, standard lofts. They feel and look great. Not much else to say about them, they're a pretty simple club.

Wedges: 54 and 58 mizuno t20. Both of these are getting worn out and ill probably upgrade next year. They arent the softest feeling wedge but i personally prefer a harder feeling wedge.

Putter: 33 inch axis1 rose model. Bought this sort of on a whim last year and after a few rounds and practice i was 100% a converted stan. First two rounds this year are 30 putts each with no 3 putts. Honestly shocked that nobody other than justin rose on tour is playing this thing. Dudes had the most strokes gained putting after gaming this thing.

Ball is the 2023 pro v1x but honestly i could probably play the v1 and it wouldnt matter. I just happened to have a bunch of shop credit and got 3 dozen v1xs so im sticking with it this season.

Tour velvet standard grips on everything, lamkin deep etched cord on the putter.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Ping G425 LST driver and G410 5 wood, Callaway Apex 2.0 3h and 4h, Mizuno MP20 blade 5i-pw, Cleveland rtx 4 50/54/58, and a Cleveland putter that’s about 5 years old now.

I’ve been considering getting more forgiving irons but honestly since these are fitted to me, I am happy with them. My usual shape is a draw and my misses are just a pull or a push which is a swing issue. I got these on eBay for a crazy good price a year and a half ago so unless something drastic happens I think I’ll use them for at least this whole season.

The only other thing that’s been tempting me is maybe another driver but I’ll probably hold off.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

WITB: a bunch of old man clubs that my grandpa made himself, including super whippy woods that I have used for my first year and change of playing. I am planning on getting fitted this year and actually getting a full set of Irons and wedges and eventually a wood and hybrid not meant for an 85 year old :v:

We’re going camping next weekend up in Door County WI, and there’s a smattering of nice golf courses up there. I want to bring my clubs but I might be just shy of them actually opening up because I think there’s still some snow up there :(

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

WITB: No changes since 2017 :negative:

915D3 driver: really need to update this to a TSi or its successor.

915F 15* and 18* fairway woods: love my 5 wood, 3 wood is fine but having tested the TSi metals, upgrading doesn't make sense. I think my main quibbles have to do with the shaft.

716MB 4-PW irons: no reason to upgrade blades other than the 620MB looking nicer and having less offset. I bought used so the shafts are +1/2". I can and do choke up but grip diameter is different if choking up if your stock shot. Not sure I'll actually do anything about this though I could cut the shafts with a Dremel and regip. However, Tour Velvet Cord .580 round still seems to be suffering from supply chain issues and 8 new grips would be $100. I could do Lamkin Crossline Cord which I have on some of my other clubs which are available but still $90.

Vokey 52/56/60 wedges: no reason to upgrade these unless they wear out.

Bullseye flange putter: I have a love/hate relationship with this putter. Sometimes I put well with it, sometimes I struggle. I do have an Anser 2 which sometimes I'll use but I imagine I'll be continuously searching until I get a (used) Newport 2.

Josh Lyman posted:

Did someone say headcover shot?

New (used) irons and 52*.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Kind of feeling that new Burner Mini that just came out. Never really fell in love with the Cobra Speedzone last year, kind of wanting something that plays better for me, teeing up very low, something that feels more manageable.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The retro headcover that comes with it is mint. I'd buy just that headcover.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I'm still totally happy with my 13-club set and uninterested in any updates. The only thing that's changed over the last few years is changing from 2016 Srixon 565 to ZX5's (with a test drive ZX7 in between) and Ping Glide 2.0 to 4.0 56.

Wood/hybrid shafts are a mix and I have 2 driver shafts. Irons are -1° flat, and -1° weak and 1/2" shorter to get the 6 iron back to a normal 37.5" (iron lengths seemed to have have snuck up a bit since 2015 and Srixon measures the length from the center of the club face now, I was having to choke up on those ZX7's).

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I just got the Costco set used on CPO. Was mildly amused that the packaging was throwing them all into a box with one of the irons facing the opposite way of all of the other clubs.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Keyser_Soze posted:

I'm still totally happy with my 13-club set and uninterested in any updates. The only thing that's changed over the last few years is changing from 2016 Srixon 565 to ZX5's (with a test drive ZX7 in between) and Ping Glide 2.0 to 4.0 56.

Wood/hybrid shafts are a mix and I have 2 driver shafts. Irons are -1° flat, and -1° weak and 1/2" shorter to get the 6 iron back to a normal 37.5" (iron lengths seemed to have have snuck up a bit since 2015 and Srixon measures the length from the center of the club face now, I was having to choke up on those ZX7's).

What app is that? I was going to do my own WITB but that's way cleaner than what I was planning on doing so I'd rather just use that.

Also, those Srixon irons are sexy - always loved their irons.

(CROSSPOSTING)

In case anyone here has one, I'm looking for a short throw projector for my home sim. ~.8-1.2 throw ratio's ideal but I can work with ones outside those numbers. If you have one or know a guy who has one let me know!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kirios posted:

What app is that? I was going to do my own WITB but that's way cleaner than what I was planning on doing so I'd rather just use that.
The second one is just Google Sheets but the first one with the brand logos, I believe, is a signature from The Hackers Paradise forums

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah upon further inspection you're right - it's a signature.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Yeah, I rarely go there anymore since it seems to have gone marketing post heavy and the sig isn't in posts by default anymore since they changed forums software a few years ago. I actually have the sigs turned off since they start to take up too much space. You can access and edit the sig in your account and then take a screen shot. They have a bunch of brands loaded as smilies so I just go in there and update/scrape it when I make a change. It's a great little tool in that way over just a text dump/spreadsheet.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 19, 2023

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

G430 driver - ping tour black 2.0 X
TSI2 3w - tensei av white X
Stealth2 5w - kai'li red X

Srixon zx7 4-pw - modus 120 stiff
50* cleveland CBX
56* vokey
60* callaway jaws

Odyssey 2 ball ten putter

I should probably be playing a stiffer shaft in my irons, but these seem to really work for me.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
If i see Josh teeing it up in my group id be prepared to lose some money. Thats a stick bag if i ever saw one.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

https://twitter.com/TigerWoods/status/1648777382541623298

A good thread if you're wondering what that is/what it means

https://twitter.com/bambam1729/status/1648817071822626817

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
And despite Mallon’s terrible Twitter handle, the guy knows his stuff. Before retiring, he was one of the foremost orthopaedic sports surgeons in the country…a career that he started after a brief stint on the PGA tour.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Time catches up with all of us. He's 48, has had lots on injuries and you usually don't play top level golf when you get bones fused. Tiger is the reason that I got into golf and I will miss him at the majors.

:tipshat:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I don't know why we're all shocked Tiger isn't playing well. He's old as poo poo now. His body is breaking down.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Idk I feel like people are generally surprised at how well he plays, when he does.

At this point I’m just happy the dude is and can have a life with his kids. He’s pretty lucky that’s the case. Any golf I get to watch him play is pure gravy and I’ll enjoy all of it with absolutely no expectations.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Kirios posted:

With golf season starting to rev up now - shall we do a group WITB for the 2023 season?
Driver: Cobra F9 at 10.5 degree with HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black
3W: Cobra F9 with motore
3H: Adams Idea Pro Gold.
4-P: Bridgestone J36 combo set with PX 6.0
gap: Bridgestone west coast design
SW, LW: Cleveland RTX 4
Putter: KIRKLAND SIGNATURE
Ball: Use TM TP5x in simulator, so probably retired ones of those.
Bag: Jones Carry Bag (death to stands)

Yes, a lot of my bag is still from 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

716MB 4-PW irons: no reason to upgrade blades other than the 620MB looking nicer and having less offset. I bought used so the shafts are +1/2". I can and do choke up but grip diameter is different if choking up if your stock shot. Not sure I'll actually do anything about this though I could cut the shafts with a Dremel and regip. However, Tour Velvet Cord .580 round still seems to be suffering from supply chain issues and 8 new grips would be $100. I could do Lamkin Crossline Cord which I have on some of my other clubs which are available but still $90.
The chinese amazon grips seem pretty solid, frankly. I installed MCC knockoffs, and they sell for maybe $55/13 - https://www.amazon.com/CHAMPKEY-Premium-Weather-Control-Feedback/dp/B07T94CVDH?th=1

I have the real thing in some other clubs and can't tell the difference, but I am probably not super picky. Their are tour velvet knockoffs for less than $2, I think.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 20, 2023

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Kirios posted:

Nothing new for me this year:

Driver - Cobra King Radspeed XB 9*
3H - Cobra Speedzone 19*
7W - PXG 0211 21*
3I/4I - Mizuno Pro Fli Hi Driving Iron 21.5*
5-G - Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal
SW - Cobra King MIM 56/10
LW - Cobra King MIM 60/04
Putter - Bettinardi Studio Stock 15
Ball - Srixon Z-Star XV or Srixon Q-Star Tour depending on time of year
Bag - Sun Mountain 5.5 LS Stand Bag

I don't love my wedges and the 3H may get swapped out for my 3W

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Pretty flashy new bag over here, don’t be too jelly.

Driver: Ping G15 w/stock stuff shaft

3 wood: cobra BafflerRail F, I’ve only hit about 50 sky balls with this club, so the top line is mainly free of that distracting black paint they put on it. I struggle to find a 3 wood that I can hit well from the tee AND from the fairway, this has been the best for me.

5 wood: Callaway FT-fusion 5 wood. Don’t use this much anymore to be honest.

4 hybrid: Ping i15

5-PW: Ping s56 black dot. These things are old but drat if they don’t still look and play great. Someday will probably upgrade to something, but holy crap are these things in good shape for how many rounds I’ve played with them.

52*: Ping tour-s
56/60*: Cleveland something or others, honestly can’t remember.

Scotty special select Newport two putter.

I may pick up a used Ping G410 plus driver yogurt though for $200. Seems like a lot of guys using newer ping drivers, think that’ll be a meaningful upgrade over my …2009 Ping G15?

Also gonna spend a few days with my mom and dad down at Porta Cima in lake of the ozarks. Super fun Nicklaus design course if you ever get the chance to play it! Will be there 3 full days, hoping to get 6-7 rounds in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Anyone got a recommendation for a travel bag? Got my first trip where I'll be flying with my clubs