Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Too good to keep in a single thread

Infinitum posted:

For your audio pleasure (Right click -> Unmute)
https://i.imgur.com/8Ncw2l4.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Xelkelvos posted:

Honestly surprised there's not a star wars video game that's just the player being a bindery hunter in various pen world locations

There *was*. Sony killed it by giving everyone glowsticks. :mad:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Robot Style posted:

The three games that come closest to replicating that type of experience are:

[list][*]The Old Republic - The game is KOTOR III in all but name, and the multiplayer aspect is essentially optional. It's got 8 different class stories, including one for Bounty Hunter characters which might starts off with them taking low-level jobs for a Hutt and ends with them potentially assassinating the Chancellor of the Republic. While it's bogged down by dated MMO combat mechanics, it's the most robust in terms of character and armor customization, even if it doesn't make much of a gameplay difference.

the MMO?

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 20, 2023

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Yes. https://www.swtor.com/

It's probably the only piece of Legends media still being actively developed

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's a pretty bad game with some pretty ok stories stretched over far too many hours.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's also a late era Bioware after they gave up any chance of developing a game without the "Bioware Magic" TM crunch period. It doesn't hold up, a lot of the storylines are dumb and the resolutions to Kotor 1 and 2 storylines are pretty bad.

If you've played a Bioware game before you'll see the plot beats coming from a mile away with the seams laid bare.

Stupid Eternal Empire bullshit.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
The Old Republic's Imperial Agent 1-50 story is great, though.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The Agent storyline is also one of the few that doesn't try to get you to date your student, which is nice.

Apparently the BH romance option for male characters was originally supposed to be 17 years old when they launched the game, though they eventually aged her up. She's still heavily coded as your gravelly voiced adult bounty hunter's surrogate younger sister though.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Actually SWTOR is a cool game where you can have a lady Ewok friend who fights alongside you and a mount that plays the Mos Eisley cantina music and be a Jedi Knight who shoots lightning while wearing Mandalorian armour and wielding a beskar spear.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
It's pure comfort food for me. Just like to log in, play around a bit with a random class' storyline, and then log off. Ever since I got it working on my Steam Deck, I've been playing on a far more regular basis.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

MMOs are a plague. Forever grateful I don’t play those life suckers anymore.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Robot Style posted:

The Agent storyline is also one of the few that doesn't try to get you to date your student, which is nice.

Apparently the BH romance option for male characters was originally supposed to be 17 years old when they launched the game, though they eventually aged her up. She's still heavily coded as your gravelly voiced adult bounty hunter's surrogate younger sister though.

So many of those romances are uncomfortable and creepy. Put me off the idea of them in "blank slate" games entirely. And you do a LOT of colonial brutalization of indigenous populations whether you're Republic or Empire.

But the Agent storyline is one of the few that bothers with things like thematic reinforcement and symbolism, and it's doing that while cribbing bits from Alpha Protocol's "what kind of spy are you?" work. The Agent's companions all being reflections on the Agent's possible relationships to the Sith, the Empire, and the great game of spywork itself was a great touch.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Edit: Goddamnit, wrong thread again.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I absolutely lost it at the debatable bonus, as they both turn around :allears:

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
The Mandalorian has reinforced my long-held perception of Mandalorians going back to Clone Wars: they are a dumbass blockhead culture that make the klingons or Krogans seem thoughtful, complex and three-dimensional in comparison. There have certainly been one-off Mandalorian characters that I've liked here and there, but everything about their overall presentation (especially here) just makes them seem like the most boring culture you could ever imagine. It's a good thing they got cool jetpacks and armor.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Cassian Andor at Niamos Beach

And Andor filming in Dorset's quarry in the UK has been cancelled due to landslide concerns thanks to the weather

:ohdear: Really hope this doesn't mean they'll use the Volume's quarry instead...

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 21, 2023

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Tender Bender posted:

I don't really think I've seen a show that's just given up on this level before. Even Kenobi was trying to do something.

drat dude seems a little harsh for a dumbass show for morons (me)

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/fellawhomstdve/status/1649109011675979776

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I must say the final shot of the finale was some primo LOL material. The titular Mandalorian sitting out on his porch in a rocking chair drinking lemonade in the middle of the desert, in full battle armor and helmet at all times

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Data Graham posted:

I must say the final shot of the finale was some primo LOL material. The titular Mandalorian sitting out on his porch in a rocking chair drinking lemonade in the middle of the desert, in full battle armor and helmet at all times

It immediately reminded me of that DOOM mod where you just hang around a house and can feed/pet Daisy lol

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Data Graham posted:

and then it wraps it up with one of the best silly wipe transitions in Star Wars history.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I was hoping that they should show mando and baby yoda chilling out on the Jacksonville planet from Andor.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Oh, no, how will they find another quarry in England?!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Narsham posted:

Oh, no, how will they find another quarry in England?!

They could jump over to Wales but then they'd he competing with Doctor Who for quarry time.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
it's the finding picturesque british scenery without toxic human waste swirling around that's the trick you see

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

and then it wraps it up with one of the best silly wipe transitions in Star Wars history.

I smiled at it. That is podracing Star Wars.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Hibedhibedehibede this is the way folks!

Senrab
May 10, 2012
So basically Teva is the Commissioner Gordon to Din & Grogu's Batman and Robin. Not a bad setup for an adventure-of-the-week show.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I mean, I know they added somewhere around 600% more Mandalorians this season, but holy poo poo, season 3.

Xelkelvos posted:

Honestly surprised there's not a star wars video game that's just the player being a bindery hunter in various pen world locations

Given my love of open world games, I would never stop playing this game.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

404notfound posted:

Too good to keep in a single thread

Unbelievably good.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

thrawn527 posted:

I mean, I know they added somewhere around 600% more Mandalorians this season, but holy poo poo, season 3.

I wonder how the numbers would look if it was just “scenes where the phrase is said”. Rather than number of people saying it.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Data Graham posted:

In his defense, he owns exactly one thing to wear and is too used to having to fight off megafauna at a moment's notice

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
One little nick pick... It's nice that with all that flame-throwing, Din's cloak remained undamaged. Not even a singed edge. Flames literally kills guys in the scene before and after, but that cloak is some prime woven beskar or something.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The Mandalorian Season 4: Maybe an asbestos cape wasn't a good idea.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

In Star Wars, you either wear armor full time, military uniform, desert pauper robes, industrial worker jumpsuit, or elaborate fop robes.

No one walking down the street wearing a t-shirt with their favorite pod racer on it.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I just got back from Galaxy's Edge and watched the finale last night.

:pcgaming:

Every great thing about the finale has already been covered well by others in the thread. The whole thing was just :discourse:

I'm spent. Of course I'll watch the new Visions come the 4th, but I'm good to wait a good long while until Ahsoka.

I welcome Djarin and Grogu to pop into whatever Star Wars they want to in the future. I know something has been said about a Mando S4 already. I don't know that I need a fourth season, but I'd probably still really enjoy it so sure why not.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Sash! posted:

In Star Wars, you either wear armor full time, military uniform, desert pauper robes, industrial worker jumpsuit, or elaborate fop robes.

No one walking down the street wearing a t-shirt with their favorite pod racer on it.

But no matter what else you're wearing, you always wear boots.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You forgot cowboy leathers with vest or jacket

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Love Rat posted:

The Mandalorian has reinforced my long-held perception of Mandalorians going back to Clone Wars: they are a dumbass blockhead culture that make the klingons or Krogans seem thoughtful, complex and three-dimensional in comparison. There have certainly been one-off Mandalorian characters that I've liked here and there, but everything about their overall presentation (especially here) just makes them seem like the most boring culture you could ever imagine. It's a good thing they got cool jetpacks and armor.

The Clone Wars sort of made it seem like there could be more to them. Under Duchess Satine they had a less warlike culture with schools and everything, that is until the more warlike elements inevitably took over again, and that was before the empire came along.

I also liked their art and architecture. 'Lots of Art Deco and Cubism influences.

Space Robot fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Even as far back as their retooling in TCW the Mandalorians have had enough loose threads to allow multiple groups calling themselves Mando to exist simultaneously. The pacifist blond haired blue eyed cubism enthusiasts were the largest group but their dominance didn't last long before clan fighting broke out again.

Boba Fett's comment about Mandalorian Civil Wars in Season 2 also cues us into even more groups, since the chain code on his armour also mentions the name Mereel, as in Jaster Mereel. The New Mandalorians and Tor Viszla's original Death Watch from the Open Season comic get their shout out.

This last one is a further stretch but the Season 3 finale of Mando implies that there is greenery and farmable land outside of the domed cities. The settlement of Keldabe from Legends could still exist somewhere on the planet's surface along with many of the Celtic-style "war in winter farm in summer" Mandalorians from the Traviss novels.