Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Classic decoy account, and all of reddit fell for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Got my first queen vs. rook endgame in a real game and naturally blew it.
It's actually tricky, right? Trying against a computer and it's not simple to convert even with unlimited time.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Ding is just setting up a classic underdog comeback -- a great showman. Looking forward to the anime adaptation.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

rollick posted:

Ding is just setting up a classic underdog comeback -- a great showman. Looking forward to the anime adaptation.
he’s going to bodyslam nepo in front of 120,000 screaming dingamaniacs, brother

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
You joke now but wait till Magnus shows up with a steel chair.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You know they say that all men are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Ian Nepomniachtchi and you can see that statement is not true. See, normally if you go one on one with another grand master, you got a 50/50 chance of winning. But I'm a genetic freak and I'm not normal! So you got a 25%, AT BEST, to beat me. Then you add Richard Rapport to the mix, your chances of winning drastic go down. See, you got a 33 1/3 chance of winning, but I, I got a 66 and 2/3 chance of winning!

So Ian Nepomniachtchi, you take your 33 1/3 chance, minus my 25% chance and you got an 8 1/3 chance of winning the world championship. But then you take my 75% chance of winning, if we was to go one on one, and then add 66 2/3 per cents, I got 141 2/3 chance of winning. See Nepo, the numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for you.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

jesus WEP posted:

Huxley posted:

You know they say that all men are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Ian Nepomniachtchi and you can see that statement is not true. See, normally if you go one on one with another grand master, you got a 50/50 chance of winning. But I'm a genetic freak and I'm not normal! So you got a 25%, AT BEST, to beat me. Then you add Richard Rapport to the mix, your chances of winning drastic go down. See, you got a 33 1/3 chance of winning, but I, I got a 66 and 2/3 chance of winning!

So Ian Nepomniachtchi, you take your 33 1/3 chance, minus my 25% chance and you got an 8 1/3 chance of winning the world championship. But then you take my 75% chance of winning, if we was to go one on one, and then add 66 2/3 per cents, I got 141 2/3 chance of winning. See Nepo, the numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for you.

Lmao

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

jesus WEP posted:

Ding sucks and has depression.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Huxley posted:

I love how Steiner Math can appear in 3/4 of my bookmarked threads across all sorts of sub-forums.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

kalensc posted:

I love how Steiner Math can appear in 3/4 of my bookmarked threads across all sorts of sub-forums.

Might be an underestimation, yeah. Good stuff.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Huxley posted:

:golfclap:

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
Thought the puzzle in the article here was super neat https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/apr/21/chess-ding-misses-wins-and-his-prep-leaks-as-nepomniachtchi-keeps-the-lead

I didn’t see the whole thing it even when I worked out it all had to do with the black g pawn. What’s the best way to set up boards online to play through lines? I get muddled picturing five moves in my head

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

lol how on earth is this 0.0 eval. this position is nuts

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
turns out world championship chess players are like, very very good and will walk into insane positions that make no loving sense to regular humans, and in this WCC match, they just keep doing it

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I would prefer to defend the rook endgame as opposed to the knight endgame.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Hand Knit posted:

I would prefer to defend the rook endgame as opposed to the knight endgame.

excuse me, are you in the world championship?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

fart simpson posted:

excuse me, are you in the world championship?

really shows the injustice of it all

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I wanted the shot where it was straight on rather than overhead but these are pretty great

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
This is the first really grindy draw this match, right?

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

VictualSquid posted:

This is the first really grindy draw this match, right?

The first game that made it to an endgame, even.

update: The theoretically drawn endgame was a draw. I am surprised.

Exercu fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 21, 2023

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

now that felt more like a world championship game in the end

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

Yeah it's some of the worst chess commentary I've ever seen. Just ear-splittingly awful. I think next time a game goes on I'll see if Levitov is broadcasting in English or Russian.

This is the dumbest take ever. you should resign out of shame. What the hell are you talking about dude. That moment was incredulous and their reactions were real as hell.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The thought process:

"OK, so they've really overextended their Queen, and it looks like they want to get to the 2nd rank take my Rook with check. Well, I can bring up my queen, maintain the guard on the Bishop, then long castle and trap them! Yeah, I think I have a really good shot at trapping their queen here. Maybe chess is really starting to click!"

The position, as I proudly analyze the game after winning:

Huxley fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 21, 2023

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.
You mean you could have just taken their queen? This is my kind of chess. It's amazing how often I fail to consider I can just take a piece and instead try to come up with plans to defend. I think this is true in a broader sense, I often get caught considering how to defend against my opponent's threats and neglect my own attack.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that was my joke. I spent a minute of clock walking through all the possible ways I could bait them into letting me trap the queen ... which was already just fully hanging.

Because I am not very good (yet).

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Bishops moving backwards is every newbie's blindspot.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

stratdax posted:

Bishops moving backwards is every newbie's blindspot.

Pieces moving backwards never stops being a blindspot. I seem to remember that there's a Karpov game that he punts because he forgets the queen can move backwards.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Not just bishops :smithcloud:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I am still very bad at chess. But some things I'm starting to "get" that I think make me slightly better than I was four months ago:
  • Your king is a real piece, that can do things
  • Intermediate moves are usually a bad idea that you are clinging to because your opponent is about to take a piece you can't defend, just accept that it's dead and move on
  • Don't trade off pieces when you're down material
  • I do not, actually, know any loving opening theory, stop trying to innovate novel openings with every game, it never works out
  • It is very easy to blunder pieces when you think you're close to checkmating your opponent
  • It is not good enough to think "this seems like a winning position" if you have done no calculation, you need to actually calculate, at least a little
  • It sucks to play as black
  • Your pieces can go backwards

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Hand Knit posted:

Pieces moving backwards never stops being a blindspot. I seem to remember that there's a Karpov game that he punts because he forgets the queen can move backwards.

I remember seeing Finegold lecture about this. The game was against Larry Christiansen and the queen forks two pieces from the starting square: https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1069116

mortal
Oct 12, 2012
Pawns that are pinned are not actually defending anything.

Pieces defending two things are not really defending the things.

If I could learn that I would probably get a 100 Elo.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

drat yeah noticing when a pawn (or a piece) is pinned is another one of those things I never used to do and now can do like, nearly half the time!

oh yeah and
  • When I think I'm setting a trap/sacrifice, really I'm just blundering a piece. Always, every time.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Redmark posted:

I remember seeing Finegold lecture about this. The game was against Larry Christiansen and the queen forks two pieces from the starting square: https://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1069116

It's nice to be reminded that literally everyone ever is bad at chess.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
You haven't lived until you've tried to input the solution to a chess puzzle and your first move doesn't work because its not legal.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Salt Fish posted:

You haven't lived until you've tried to input the solution to a chess puzzle and your first move doesn't work because its not legal.

gently caress, I'm in check?

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

Thought the puzzle in the article here was super neat https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/apr/21/chess-ding-misses-wins-and-his-prep-leaks-as-nepomniachtchi-keeps-the-lead

I didn’t see the whole thing it even when I worked out it all had to do with the black g pawn. What’s the best way to set up boards online to play through lines? I get muddled picturing five moves in my head

As lichess alluded to in their tweet, running your own private instance of lichess (which is open source) would be an option. sure, you need a bit of technical know-how to do that, but surely a team of people preparing for a world championship with a EUR 2m prize purse could contract someone.

or wait if you mean like for yourself and not for world championship prep, get the chessvision.ai browser extension. it captures the screen and then spits out a link to an analysis board.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

My totally unfounded theory: Ding's English skills (the language, not the opening) are much better than he lets on, and he chooses not to use an interpreter, so that he can selectively answer questions he likes and :confused: at the ones he doesn't at the post-game press conferences.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Two things I'm learning as I start taking the game more seriously:

I am like, 200 points worse on my phone than I am on a computer. I have an old ipad floating around, I'm interested to see if that splits the difference.

I paid for a year of dotcom, which makes my dotcom rating feel very serious and sweaty. So I started using Lichess for "practice" because it was a place I felt free not to care about my "actual rating." And now 99% of my playing is on Lichess because not really caring is what makes it fun. I'm 100% aware of how this is all just my brain playing a trick on itself, so maybe what I need to do now is go get a FIDE rating, so THAT feels like my real rating.

Brains are funny things.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Inferior Third Season posted:

My totally unfounded theory: Ding's English skills (the language, not the opening) are much better than he lets on, and he chooses not to use an interpreter, so that he can selectively answer questions he likes and :confused: at the ones he doesn't at the post-game press conferences.

thats obviously true to some extent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

lonter posted:

This is the dumbest take ever. you should resign out of shame. What the hell are you talking about dude. That moment was incredulous and their reactions were real as hell.

nah he's right