Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

there is not going to be any meaningful bonus for having a botw save file in totk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I hope that there's a meaningless one.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The only thing I will probably miss is my dyed black Hylian outfit as my go-to clothing

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

LividLiquid posted:

It's the only mainline Zelda game I've never beaten and I gave up about where you did. I made it to the final dungeon area, kinda' and there was this thing where a slider puzzle determined room placement and after just running all around to grab bafmodads before it'd let me even get there, I turned the game off without even saving and knew I'd never return.

That game loving LOVED to waste your time and give you busywork. Not having an overworld is completely hosed. It omitted everything I loved about Zelda and did the things I've never enjoyed really, really badly. It's the Other M of the Zelda franchise.

It kills me they used up all that killer music on such an unsatisfying chore of a game.

You were steps away from the final boss, OP

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
On the 360, I quit Tales of Vesperia literally at the door to the final boss. These things happen sometimes.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I mean, I hate slide puzzles too, but there were definitely worse parts of the game than that. Overall I liked Skyward Sword though. The remaster certainly helped.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Amppelix posted:

i started up a playthrough of Second Wind, the BotW mod, in my impatience to get my hands on TotK. I only got off the plateau so far but it's definitely given me that "ooh, what's that" feeling the first BotW playthrough is full of a couple times already so i'd say it's doing its job! even the redecorated shrines, though clearly just the old shrines but with random bits of scenery stuck in and occasional new enemies/obstacles, do a great job of making it feel fresh. they do really change up the monotonous look of the shrines which does a great deal on its own already.

coolest moment so far was when a stalbokoblin popped up 30 minutes into the playthrough with one of these equipped:

it's so fun seeing stuff i've never seen before just pop up randomly like this.

I hope we can braid Links hair and change his makeup seems fun

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Augus posted:

there is not going to be any meaningful bonus for having a botw save file in totk

you're gonna get a big smile and a thumbs up from Ganondorf who then asks to be your friend

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
One day I want a sequel series to let you start off exactly as OP as you started off in the last game and they just make harder stuff to fight. This isn't the place for that, but I'd like a Yakuza or Metroid or Mass Effect game like that someday.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Khanstant posted:

One day I want a sequel series to let you start off exactly as OP as you started off in the last game and they just make harder stuff to fight. This isn't the place for that, but I'd like a Yakuza or Metroid or Mass Effect game like that someday.

Early Wizardry let you do that, I believe.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Trails games in the same arc let you carry your level over and the playable characters keep all their physical skills. The 'magic' system gets reset but it usually goes higher or stronger than it did in the previous games, where instead of unlocking slots to put your not-Materia in you upgrade them so you can put stronger, higher-level ones in.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I somehow got a blood moon in the middle of a fight with a Lynel in BotW during the daytime. I knew that was possible, but it was the first time it happened to me.

The timing was funny too; it was in the middle of the Lynel charging at me.

Fortunately it did not reset his health.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Ytlaya posted:

I somehow got a blood moon in the middle of a fight with a Lynel in BotW during the daytime. I knew that was possible, but it was the first time it happened to me.

The timing was funny too; it was in the middle of the Lynel charging at me.

Fortunately it did not reset his health.

If you get a daytime bloodmoon it means that the game's "too much data to keep track of" limit was triggered and the bloodmoon occurred to reset things to a more manageable level. But it usually happens again just minutes later so you should probably just exit out of the game and restart it.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Part of what’s driving me to finish SS is the fact that I also got stuck in Twilight Princess and eventually lost interest and dropped it, only to find out years later that the dungeon I was in (City in the Sky) was super close to the end of the game and that I probably would’ve finished it within days had I pushed through

I guess the fact that I didn’t realize how close to the end I was proved that the whole circle inventory thing was effective, at least

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
If you get stuck just look up how to beat it. I know that hurts a lot of ppl’s pride but if it means the difference between you continuing to play the game or not, who cares if you’re “spoiled” on a single puzzle/dungeon/quest?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

If I can't beat Tetris in one go gently caress that noise

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Saved my boy Revali and now have two beasts in master mode. +3 attack food and my mountain of bomb arrows chumped the boss. Way easier than I remember my first playthrough doing it last.

With fully upgraded ancient armor and a bunch of major tests available every blood moon, I can dunk on silver lynels. Lynel bow plus ancient axe++ shreds them. Just need them to stop giving me guts/hooves and give me horns instead.

Master mode really isn't difficult beyond the plateau and the first hour or two after. Lots of goodies available to snowball hard. Then it's just late game normal mode with some gold enemies after you upgrade some sets.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Windblight Ganon was the easiest of the four imo

Glad the latest trailer made it look like real bosses would be coming back

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Windblight Ganon was the easiest of the four imo

Glad the latest trailer made it look like real bosses would be coming back

I did thunder first because I remember that one being the hardest. Didn't want to deal with much of the regen+p2 gimmick. Plus Urbosa's fury is great.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I must be the only person in the universe who enjoyed the underwater forest part of Skyward Sword

Like I keep saying, it's like a cute lil banjo kazooie level in my Zelda for a bit of a chill diversion

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Mustached Demon posted:

Saved my boy Revali and now have two beasts in master mode. +3 attack food and my mountain of bomb arrows chumped the boss. Way easier than I remember my first playthrough doing it last.

With fully upgraded ancient armor and a bunch of major tests available every blood moon, I can dunk on silver lynels. Lynel bow plus ancient axe++ shreds them. Just need them to stop giving me guts/hooves and give me horns instead.

Master mode really isn't difficult beyond the plateau and the first hour or two after. Lots of goodies available to snowball hard. Then it's just late game normal mode with some gold enemies after you upgrade some sets.

The actual Ganon fight is fun, since he heals during the invincibility phases.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Mahoning posted:

I can’t believe you actually made it to that point in the game and THEN gave up. So many things that are so much worse than that slide puzzle section. Anybody that gave up during the underwater forest section, I completely get it.
It had never occurred to me not to finish a Zelda game before. I'm a little slow on the uptake. Plus it was cumulative. Every "I should just loving quit" stacked atop one-another until the last straw was far less bad than everything that preceded it, but was nonetheless the last straw.

Alxprit posted:

You were steps away from the final boss, OP
I straight-up don't care. I knew that at the time and I didn't care. That's how fed up I was with literally everything about that game but the music and Groose.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
cannot imagine getting to the slider puzzle dungeon, an extremely cool puzzle in an extremely cool dungeon, in a game where the highlights are the dungeons, and then going "nah"

you do you, i guess

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

I hope that there's a meaningless one.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

The bonus for having a completed BotW save for TotK is that TotK goes straight to credits. You already beat it. Congrats! You just got dozens if not hundreds of hours of your life back.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
If there isn't a fishing game I'm going to be disappointed.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I was farming Lynels for their precious guts when I rolled into the Taobab grasslands.

I got it in my mind: I'm gonna snag a horse to speed things up.

I got the biggest one, and after taming it and driving it to the stable I realize it's friggin huge. Max strength and unlimited stamina. Speed is only 2.

Is this the Giant Horse?

I named him Potoooooooo

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
It''s actually still pretty fast just because it so big, and yeah it's Giant Horse.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Blaziken386 posted:

cannot imagine getting to the slider puzzle dungeon, an extremely cool puzzle in an extremely cool dungeon, in a game where the highlights are the dungeons, and then going "nah"

you do you, i guess
I don't expect you to know who any other posters are, least of all me, or what they've said in any thread, much less this one, so apologies to everybody who's heard this rant before, but I don't play Zelda games for the dungeons. Until A Link Between Worlds allowed me to tackle them in any order like Zelda 1 *sort of* did, it always felt like the beautiful world I was exploring made me stop for an hour and change to play a level of a video game.

Allowing me to do them in any order and at any time (or even not at all in BotW's case) made them feel like a part of the world again, at which point I started enjoying them again a great deal.

There are, of course, exceptions. Forest Temple, Spirit Temple, all the Wind Waker dungeons (likely because there were so few of them), and the list goes on. But on the whole, to me, they're a chore I need to do before my parents will let me go back outside and play.

So, Skyward sword not having any overworld at all was a pretty huge deal breaker and it took a steel will to get to the end of a game that included nothing I enjoyed in the series. And again, that puzzle was not why I quit. It was merely *when* I quit. If it was in the first dungeon, I would've groaned at yet another game making me do a kind of puzzle I don't enjoy, but it would've been fine.

But by that point, I was already like 40 hours into a game I hadn't enjoyed and only didn't quit because, y'know, Zelda. It's gotta' get good in a minute, right?

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

If there isn't a fishing game I'm going to be disappointed.
Me too, but I also liked the fishing game in Breath of the Wild quite a bit.

<remote bomb sound>

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I haven't been riding too many horses in this game (BotW). Just warping, climbing, and gliding. But, now that I have Giant Horse, all I want to do is drive my horse around like a jacked up F-250.

And then I realize, TotK may have Monster Jam.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I picked up BotW and will try to beat it before TotK

I have the base game, should I get the expansion pass dlc as well?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

LividLiquid posted:

I don't play Zelda games for the dungeons

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The dungeons are the best part of almost every Zelda game

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i play zelda games for one reason only: to determine whomst i would most like to gently caress

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

kidcoelacanth posted:

i play zelda games for one reason only: to determine whomst i would most like to gently caress

right now it's the bucket head guy

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
unacceptable, pick the shark prince like everyone else

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

kidcoelacanth posted:

Groose game objectively the best Zelda of all time

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

SgtSteel91 posted:

It has some nice QoL features in it even before the added content. Hero's Path alone is a rad feature.
Nothing completely necessary over the base experience, though.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'm here for Ganondorfs massive heaving bosom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

SgtSteel91 posted:

The DLC will give you the ability to summon your horse anywhere, which dramatically changes how you can engage with moving around the map. Whether you think this is good is up to how you want to explore but I enjoyed calling my horses, Murry and Nausicaa, to pick me up after I decided to wander to a place they couldn't follow me into.