Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

You might want to keep the pi2 around after you decommission it. I read it's the best bang for the power consumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I'm throwing an old Pi 3 into service as a power monitor at a GFCI outlet in my crawlspace that nuisance trips so that I can get alerted immediately when it goes down. I figured I'd host a page, forward a high port, and use Uptime Robot to yell at me when the page is down.

I intend this thing to serve a webpage and do nothing else. I don't want it to write at all if possible so that I can preserve the SD card. Based on https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/109422/how-to-disable-logs, I've disabled rsyslog and configured journald to use only volatile storage. Is there anything else that I missed? What else should I do to make a Pi serve a static page for the next 10 years from my crawlspace?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh that reminds me. Anyone have suggestions on how to harden a Pi for more outdoor type operations? The Pi2 or whatever I have up in the attic is on its last legs and I’d like to get it replaced with something that can better handle being more or less in open but sheltered air. It gets pretty drat toasty up there and I can’t imagine the humidity is good for it either.

Could just be the SD card dying though. IDK.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Warbird posted:

Oh that reminds me. Anyone have suggestions on how to harden a Pi for more outdoor type operations? The Pi2 or whatever I have up in the attic is on its last legs and I’d like to get it replaced with something that can better handle being more or less in open but sheltered air. It gets pretty drat toasty up there and I can’t imagine the humidity is good for it either.

SD cards die if you look at them funny, so yeah would always start there and power supply next.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Warbird posted:

There's not a whole lot you can do about the heat. Like, putting a heatsink on the CPU chip won't really do anything because the CPU is almost certainly not the thing that's dying. If you have it in a fully enclosed case, you could change that out for something like the semi-open ones that are just 2 plexi sheets with posts between. That way it will stay at ambient temp at least, rather than heating itself even more.

Humidity is probably not an issue unless your attic is growing mold or poo poo.

But yeah, swapping SD card and power supply is what I'd do first.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

God I don’t want to be assed to sort out how to configure that all again. Lord willing I can just clone the image to a working card and move on with my life.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Has anyone had any luck with cheap aliexpress power supplies for pi 3 that don't trigger the low voltage thing? I got two with push button power switches and they both do the low voltage thing, super frustrating

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

A pi-specific power supply will supply a bit more than 5v, usually 5.1v, to account for variances in cable quality. A 5.1v power supply is a good indication that it was built with the raspberry pi in mind.

You can try switching out the cables for something thicker or better quality.

Also, if you only occasionally get the low voltage warning, you can try using a governor that doesn't change power consumption, like powersave or performance.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
If you have a PoE switch there are some inexpensive ethernet/usb-c splitters that work pretty good.

the basic 5V/2.4A ones seem to work fine for our pretty basic needs (just a UART relay really)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

mewse posted:

Has anyone had any luck with cheap aliexpress power supplies for pi 3 that don't trigger the low voltage thing? I got two with push button power switches and they both do the low voltage thing, super frustrating

I always use Anker brand stuff if possible, and when not available I'll switch to Cable Matters. It's not worth cheaping out on wall warts and cables, they last too long

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Hadlock posted:

I always use Anker brand stuff if possible, and when not available I'll switch to Cable Matters. It's not worth cheaping out on wall warts and cables, they last too long

:same:

they can also catch fire if they're not designed well.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm not going near unbranded switch mode power supplies with about 1mm of separation between mains voltage and a pin on the end of a USB cable

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Can anyone recommend a stock tracker for pi 4s in Canada?

Alternatively, anywhere I can reliably buy other sbc’s here?

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

tuyop posted:

Can anyone recommend a stock tracker for pi 4s in Canada?

Alternatively, anywhere I can reliably buy other sbc’s here?

Rpilocator.com lists pishop.ca as having Zero Ws in stock atm. (21 cad)

Seems to be a bit more stock in general recently. Mainly Zeros, 3s and a few lower spec 4s.
Hopefully this is the start of the production that they were talking about at the start of the year

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 10, 2023

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rpilocator doesn't index canakit. Canakit seems to only sell pi 4s as EXTREME KIT bundles for $150+ cad

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I've got a pi4 that I use for streaming stuff from my pc to the telly but I'm wondering if there's any way to get it to stream from disney+ because there's no app for that on our smart tv. I have chromium media edition but when we tried that it ran like poo poo and I assume I've hosed the configuration up somehow and should just start over - is raspbian + chromium the best option for that or should I try a different os?

The pi is on a wired connection (and can stream 4k video from the pc) and disney+ works fine on other devices in the house so I don't think it's a bandwidth issue but any advice is helpful at this point.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Pilchenstein posted:

I've got a pi4 that I use for streaming stuff from my pc to the telly but I'm wondering if there's any way to get it to stream from disney+ because there's no app for that on our smart tv. I have chromium media edition but when we tried that it ran like poo poo and I assume I've hosed the configuration up somehow and should just start over - is raspbian + chromium the best option for that or should I try a different os?

The pi is on a wired connection (and can stream 4k video from the pc) and disney+ works fine on other devices in the house so I don't think it's a bandwidth issue but any advice is helpful at this point.

Consider getting a Chromecast with Google TV to replace the function of the Pi. There's a VLC app you can install on it to handle streaming from your own sources, plus you can stream Disney+ either from your phone to it or use the standalone app.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Pilchenstein posted:

Yeah Disney very much doesn’t want you to be able to access their videos as video files and hand them around your network. They keep it all tied to apps.

So you need some kind of set top box. Kodi is the software for that and there’s an add on for Disney that you could try. https://www.technadu.com/disney-plus-kodi-addon/223344/

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I'll try the kodi addon since I'm already using kodi to stream from the pc, cheers.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
This is kind of out of control, but I don't think there's any cheaper way to get a capable SBC in Canada in 2023, is there?

The $26 for s&h on a $300 order made me lol. Not sure if I want to pull the trigger on this because that is a lot of money for not very much computer.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I order from canakit for work stuff, basically the main option. Their S&H costs are ridiculous BUT it does arrive extremely quickly (shipped to BC)

mewse
May 2, 2006

tuyop posted:

Not sure if I want to pull the trigger on this because that is a lot of money for not very much computer.

It's really not worth it. I got a $100 small form factor haswell from dellrefurbished.ca a few weeks ago.. it came with a power cord, keyboard, mouse. The prices for pi 4s are idiotic considering the performance.

e: there are also the orange pi / rock pi / banana pi / whatever pi alternative SBCs if you really need the tiny form factor

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Unless you need the Pi ecosystem and GPIO and can't plug an Arduino in, get an Atom NUC off eBay.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I'm thinkin about when we have a setup that is reasonably all close together instead of a bunch of pis just having a server running docker instances or whatever. It's all just UART to ethernet mostly anyway. Everyone is comfortable with the Pis though so probably will be a tough sell.

They're also fine with just connecting pis to PDUs that toggle the power off and on on command despite my repeated warnings to not loving do that (multiple SD cards have been corrupted at this point). Apparently logging in and typing "sudo reboot" is too much of a hassle.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

Unless you need the Pi ecosystem and GPIO and can't plug an Arduino in, get an Atom NUC off eBay.

mewse posted:

It's really not worth it. I got a $100 small form factor haswell from dellrefurbished.ca a few weeks ago.. it came with a power cord, keyboard, mouse. The prices for pi 4s are idiotic considering the performance.

e: there are also the orange pi / rock pi / banana pi / whatever pi alternative SBCs if you really need the tiny form factor

I think the power requirement is the main thing I need. I just want a little box that I can plug a battery bank into and control an old DSLR to take timelapses of poo poo.

I guess specifically it's to replace the pi zero w I just bought for a chicken coop surveillance camera thing. The old zero just doesn't have the power to drive the cameras at a useful framerate for motion detection. But I found out about the libre board stuff and ordered one of the Le Potatoes (https://a.co/d/5LC6B08) to see how it goes!

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I'd use a beaglebone. It's old as hell, but who cares

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I think as a rule of thumb, unless your project uses the GPIO, the Pi is probably the wrong solution. There's so many better and cheaper ways to do things like stream media to a Chromecast or run home server stuff in a container on your NAS or even your router. My ancient RT-N66U can run a PiHole equivalent and it still gets regular (community) patches.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Mantle posted:

I think as a rule of thumb, unless your project uses the GPIO, the Pi is probably the wrong solution. There's so many better and cheaper ways to do things like stream media to a Chromecast or run home server stuff in a container on your NAS or even your router. My ancient RT-N66U can run a PiHole equivalent and it still gets regular (community) patches.

It would be good to discuss some of these. Like for home server stuff I already have one of those “thin client” x86 office surplus hp’s, for NAS I have a synology. I don’t really need GPIO for my other little smart device tasks except very rarely, but I actually don’t know what other options there are for a <60 (hell, I’d settle for <$100CAD) low-powered ARM computers.

Edit: oops, I just remembered hackerboards.com

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mantle posted:

What software are you running on your RT-N66U? I was running tomato on mine for a while but kept having issues and swapped back to the default firmware. Seems like every time I buy a router, it's the wrong one and the most popular alternative firmwares barely support them.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

What software are you running on your RT-N66U? I was running tomato on mine for a while but kept having issues and swapped back to the default firmware. Seems like every time I buy a router, it's the wrong one and the most popular alternative firmwares barely support them.

I've been running John's fork of Merlin, but it looks like it FINALLY is getting unmaintained: https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21ALJXk06IprzMMDc&id=9332FC159A7E129%215702&cid=09332FC159A7E129

There's also the mainline Merlin fork from the ASUS firmware that is also unmaintained: https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/about

I probably should switch over to a Google home and run PiHole on my NAS in a Docker container.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Mantle posted:

run PiHole on my NAS in a Docker container.
This is what I do on my Ubiquiti UDM attached to an unRAID server.

Death of Prime
Nov 3, 2005

Dead...for now
I've been googling and trying for a few weeks now. I can not get a drive on my Synology NAS to mount on my pi4. I've feel like I've tried everything and need some help. I'm back to a clean install after locking myself out because the drive wouldn't mount. I either get permission denied or /mnt errors. Any help would be appreciated

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Death of Prime posted:

I've been googling and trying for a few weeks now. I can not get a drive on my Synology NAS to mount on my pi4. I've feel like I've tried everything and need some help. I'm back to a clean install after locking myself out because the drive wouldn't mount. I either get permission denied or /mnt errors. Any help would be appreciated

Please show us the exact command you try, and the exact response you get.

Death of Prime
Nov 3, 2005

Dead...for now

cruft posted:

Please show us the exact command you try, and the exact response you get.

pi4@raspberrypi:/mnt/share $ sudo mount -t cifs -o username=MYUSERNAME,password=MYPASSWORD //192.168.1.247/volume1/'Shared Videos' /mnt/share
mount error(13): Permission denied
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) and kernel log messages (dmesg)

I did use my actual username and password

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Death of Prime posted:

pi4@raspberrypi:/mnt/share $ sudo mount -t cifs -o username=MYUSERNAME,password=MYPASSWORD //192.168.1.247/volume1/'Shared Videos' /mnt/share
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) and kernel log messages (dmesg)

What does the NFS permissions page for the synology share look like?

Edit: Is MYUSERNAME and MYPASSWORD a set of credentials found on the pi, the NAS, or both?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Death of Prime posted:

Have you tried to manually set the smb version and security mode in the command? You need to look up which the correct one is first.
Don't know about symology, but it is a common fix for permission problems in cifs.

Death of Prime
Nov 3, 2005

Dead...for now

tuyop posted:

What does the NFS permissions page for the synology share look like?

Edit: Is MYUSERNAME and MYPASSWORD a set of credentials found on the pi, the NAS, or both?

The username and password are what I use to log into the snyology. I have a username and pw for the pi but they are different than the NAS

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

CIFS is not NFS

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah but we could test nfs for troubleshooting now at least

Op, here’s a working line from my fstab file on a debian box:

code:
//nas.local/tv /mnt/nas/tv cifs credentials=/home/[user]/.mountcredentials,nofail,uid=[user],gid=users 0 0
The .mountcredentials file is just a file at my home directory with my credentials in it like this. NAS.local is a synology with a share on my network.
code:
username=[user]
password=[pw]

tuyop fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Death of Prime posted:

The username and password are what I use to log into the snyology. I have a username and pw for the pi but they are different than the NAS

For cifs you need the smb password. It is not necessarily the login password.
You would use the login password for nfs though.
What does happen if you mount with nfs instead of smb?