Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
hahaha holy poo poo that is egregiously bad. Then again, Carlin himself is NOT a historian, he's a hobbyist that plays at it, and that's another thing I would caution listeners about before getting in to it. Carlin has a BA in history and that's as far as it goes. He was a reporter and talk show host, he's a pop historian at best. He's not a serious academic and his content shouldn't be treated as such

Now that's not to say Hardcore History isn't a good listen - it can be, if you go into it with the mindset that you're listening to a pomped up longform pop-history article in audio form. Do not go into it expecting academic standard accuracy and take what you hear with the appropriate grain of salt. On the whole, you're better off saving your time and listening to Deathlands on audible instead

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Apr 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Oh thank goodness. I'd forgotten whether it was Carlin or Keegan who was a bit off at best.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Either way, the 1.2x Carlin Caravan of Lies Podcast History of the First World War still set me on a path of appreciation and future discovery regarding WW1. Way more than my high school history teacher who, trying to convey the gravity of a million casualties, actually printed out 1,000,000 dots on paper and posted them around the classroom in some vain attempt to make highschoolers give a poo poo about history stuff.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Scam Likely posted:

Either way, the 1.2x Carlin Caravan of Lies Podcast History of the First World War still set me on a path of appreciation and future discovery regarding WW1. Way more than my high school history teacher who, trying to convey the gravity of a million casualties, actually printed out 1,000,000 dots on paper and posted them around the classroom in some vain attempt to make highschoolers give a poo poo about history stuff.

1 million dots...how'd that work out? did the IT department stalk through the halls looking for the culprit?

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

B-Rock452 posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CrRd3SyL7zJ/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Those glide bombs seem to be working well...

(Russian jet accidently dropped a bomb on Belgorod)

Wow, the Russian MOD gave a statement quickly and it looks like it was the truth. That must be a first.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

CitizenKain posted:

I'll have to check those out. I read "To End all Wars" by Adam Rothschild, and it had a initial focus on the social background leading up to the war. A big one that was mentioned was that a lot of European nations were honestly just itching for a war. For the "noble" class, it was a good way to get out and have a good time, run around shoot some people and call it a day. Throw on top some incredibly obliviousness over what modern weapons could do to people, and you had people marching in close formations against airburst artillery. But for some reason, a lot of people in the ruling class just seemed to think that didn't apply if you had a bit of can do spirit.
I'd have to go back through it to make sure my memory is on top though. Even getting the title had me remembering I used to have a B&N Nook.

That's even more classism rather than ignorance. The officers knew how deadly tech was getting and the beginning of squad tactics. But squad tactics require more independent thought from individual soldiers, and a loss of control for the officers. There were intense and angry debates in the military journals between those who thought conscripts would totally freeze up unless they are in shouting range of an officer and the uneducated masses were too stupid to ever learn how to do squad tactics and those who thought lower class conscripts weren't that stupid. But at the beginning of WW1, the officers who thought every enlisted needs to be in shouting range of an officer to fight at all were in the lead.

So imagine a forum debate between "we need to micromanage every lower class soldier for their own good" and "they are not that dumb.". But every poster is a posh man covered in medals.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Apr 21, 2023

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Lmao

https://english.nv.ua/life/woman-receives-2-tickets-to-the-circus-for-her-conscripted-husband-in-russia-ukraine-war-50319159.html

Local Clown posted:

“The local authorities of Urupsky District promised me help. (They promised) to bring me firewood. Instead, they've brought me two tickets to circus. Serhiy Volodymyrovych Kornev, the head of the village municipality, was constantly lying. He said: ‘I'll bring it, I'll bring it, I'll bring it.’ But in the end, he brought two tickets to the circus.”

GundamHealer
Jul 23, 2022

Fish blocks are so last year. Now we send you to literal clownshows to help you ruminate on our other, much larger, metaphorical clown show

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

:whatfor:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Jesus loving Christ. This is somehow even more pathetic than the fake fur coat shoot.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Scam Likely posted:

Yeah, Blueprint for Armageddon is still IMO a very good listen. I had a similar experience as you, and I've since gone on to read a lot of the books Carlin quotes in the episode (Peter Hart's "Voices from the Front" seems to be a big source, a lot of the direct quotes are straight out of the primary sources Hart quotes in his book) so it's definitely a good starting point and at least the big picture stuff he gets right.

golden bubble posted:

But at the beginning of WW1, the officers who thought every enlisted needs to be in shouting range of an officer to fight at all were in the lead.

At the beginning and then throughout. As a whole the armies during World War I learned a great deal about how to make the best of the shitshow that was trench warfare on the Western Front, but crucially the people at the top didn't, or just ignored everything they were told for ~political reasons~.

A topic that keeps repeating time and time again in for instance "Voices from the Front" is that the commanders in charge of planning battles and assaults did the work, made the necessary preparations and had a reasonable plan, and then Haig or someone busted in and went "OK so you had a great plan, a thorough preparation and did everything necessary and got decent gains on that attack, now do it again with none of the above and also I need you to get 4X the gains in this attack", and then tens of thousands of people die for absolutely no reason.

Case in point: the Battle of Cambrai.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
A car set on fire and blew up outside an FSB building this morning.

https://twitter.com/russiasonfire/status/1649334981137768449

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Tesla trying to do something useful

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

This is just genuinely sad. This is how much the Russian leadership value human life.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
huh, even Hungary?

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1649340949170888704

lol

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1649309247966961664

short thread (and paywalled article) on Russian efforts to undermine pro-Ukraine support in Germany through far-right AfD and far-left Die Linke

https://twitter.com/CatherineBelton/status/1649328009713786882

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Russia bombs Belgorod...

:wtc:

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

"Two" tickets.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I feel like the circus is a step down from the water park tickets.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Dwesa posted:

short thread (and paywalled article) on Russian efforts to undermine pro-Ukraine support in Germany through far-right AfD and far-left Die Linke

https://twitter.com/CatherineBelton/status/1649328009713786882

I would certainly hope any serious German leftists would remember the poor choice of words of Ernst Thälmann when it came to ceding ANY ground to the far right.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Remember this from last year? When Russians accidentally used a picture of a Junkers JU-88 crew on their "they fought for the motherland" propaganda poster?

Well...

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

quote:

Driver was drunk .337 mg/l

That's not the same as blowing .33 is it??

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

pro starcraft loser posted:

I think it is.

that dude's liver must be made of adamantium

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

pro starcraft loser posted:

If I'm reading the chart right that I just Googled it looks like it would be a .07 on a breathalyzer.
E: Eh, I'm not so sure now.

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Apr 21, 2023

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Looks like Ukraine should be able too start Abrams training very soon. Presumably the full fleet isn't all that far behind.

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1649368380615344136

Direct link to Politico https://www.politico.eu/article/ukraine-troops-training-us-tanks-next-weeks/

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Scarodactyl posted:

Really we just wanted to pick up the spare on those privateers.

drat you Barrett!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Samovar posted:

I would certainly hope any serious German leftists would remember the poor choice of words of Ernst Thälmann when it came to ceding ANY ground to the far right.

Linke are boot-licking fascists, just as their East German predecessors.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I don't see any sensitive content in these images, but if scenes of a destroyed city might upset you be warned.

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1649371121618235392?t=3Vn8U7D3f3SXukHiDGHHWA&s=19

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
That is CGI. Russia doesn't target civilian buildings

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

RoyKeen posted:

If I'm reading the chart right that I just Googled it looks like it would be a .07 on a breathalyzer.
E: Eh, I'm not so sure now.

I think something got messed up in the reporting. They're quoting 0.337 milligrams per liter, but alcohol is usually measured in micrograms per liter. (US breathalyzer measures in grams per 100 ml, because even when they use metric they have to include some hogshead per fortnight flavor)

If it's meant to be 0.337 micrograms, that's about 1 beer, or blowing a .037.

If the units are correct as stated, this guy is an alcohol elemental, more vodka than man (and very, very dead)

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Milligrams of ethanol per liter of exhaled air is unit of breath alcohol concentration used in most of Europe.

0.337 mg/l is drunk, but not very drunk. It's about 2-3 0.5l beers or 2 shots

PS: different units

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 21, 2023

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

"The bomb left a 20m (60ft) crater and caused an explosion so large it blew a car on to the roof of a nearby shop."

If it was a Toyota Hilux, it'll be fine.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

totally non-fascist Russia

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1649400498422784000

lol again

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1649389889237008386

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Pablo Bluth posted:

Looks like Ukraine should be able too start Abrams training very soon. Presumably the full fleet isn't all that far behind.

Has the US promised to deliver Abrams? I missed that, I only heard about people donating Leopards and Challengers.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Gerblyn posted:

Has the US promised to deliver Abrams? I missed that, I only heard about people donating Leopards and Challengers.

Yeah, they'll be sending about 30 M1A1 to Ukraine - a token contribution as reassurance to trembling waif Germany, who doesn't dare do something like that alone.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

The US agreed in January to send 31 Abrams to Ukraine.

This was at least partially, if not primarily, to give Germany and Scholz political cover so that Germany could not be seen as leading the charge in providing tanks, but instead was following America's lead and was in the middle of the pack.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

They put it off for ages, then when the UK donated some C2s, and the EU Leo2s, they caved and offered some but only new ones off the production line at some distant future. More recently they finally switched to refurbs that could be delivered sooner.

Edit:
16th Jan - C2s announced
25th Jan - M1s announced but new stock with long leadtime. This provided the cover for/called the bluff of Germany to announce Leo2 at the same time.
Jan-Apr Other countries start chipping in with Leo2s.
21st March - M1s switched from new builds to refurbs to speedup.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 21, 2023

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
The hesitancy of NATO to properly arm Ukraine is so frustrating and terrifying.

I feel like the frustration needs no explanation but the terror comes from the fact that Russia's threats are being taken seriously and are incredibly effective at deterring NATO.

31 Abrams? They could send hundreds, no problem.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

That sucks, your husband gets conscripted and as compensation they give you 2 more conscription notices.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Hopefully it'll open the process to continuing deliveries. Although they should have provided them earlier, in defence of only 31 M1s; (1) as big as the US military budget is, there's still a process they have to follow and any given package M1s would probably have to be traded off against other supplies, (2) Europe needs to pull it's weight in donations and an sudden '500 M1s' would have provided cover for this side of the Atlantic to hoard their tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wouldn't put a lot of stock in that, there's several European members of NATO who would not approve Ukraine joining, I think.