Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

DarkAvenger211 posted:

ignore my googily eyes I think I hosed up the left eye multiple times

While it wasn't the color I was going for I think it looks better than my original intention. Though it is my lightest skin tone contrast paint I own (I only put on one layer too). Are there any lighter skin tone contrast paints out there that anyone could suggest? I could always just go back to using some non-contrast paints but I do like how the slapchop method highlights these details so easily

For lighter skin, dilute the crusader skin with speed paint medium.

The easy cheat code for eyes on a human like face is "looking all the way to one side is always valid"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Well I did it anyway! Progression from left to right is me finding various ways to preserve the brightness of the colour scheme when washing. I think I've got a good workflow dialed down by the end.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

gently caress yeah, they look sick!

Now get to work on the other 500 models in the army :v:

Edit: man, I forgot to mention that I absolutely love the way you've painted the weaponry. The flesh fading to bright red gives them a toxic plant/thorns vibe on top of the fish/lizard scheme of the chitin.

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 21, 2023

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'm starting a new Deathwatch Kill-Team comprising of Astartes seconded from homebrew chapters that belong to some folks I'm fond of that I follow on Instagram.

Here's the first one I wrapped up today:

My struggle with white balance continues...

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Silhouette posted:

gently caress yeah, they look sick!

Now get to work on the other 500 models in the army :v:

Nids are surprisingly easy to build and paint actually. I think I could bang out a box in one evening if I skipped blending oils straight from the tube (2 days dry time lol) for the extra yellow and applying heavy gel for the water ripples (overnight at least). We'll see if I get completely owned by Termagants though.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Eej posted:

Nids are surprisingly easy to build and paint actually. I think I could bang out a box in one evening if I skipped blending oils straight from the tube (2 days dry time lol) for the extra yellow and applying heavy gel for the water ripples (overnight at least). We'll see if I get completely owned by Termagants though.

You know the cardboard trick, right? Dab your paint on a square of cardboard, let it sit for about half an hour before you paint, and you've dramatically reduced the drying time since it's leached a ton of the oil out while still keeping all the good qualities of oil paint.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I did not know that actually but now I do. I was considering thinning to speed things up but that would completely alter the ease of feathering the rough edges into smooth blends. I was thinking of trying some oil mediums to see how they work for miniatures anyway but it's good to know I can just slap some oil on cardboard to get the desired effect too.

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014

AndyElusive posted:

I'm starting a new Deathwatch Kill-Team comprising of Astartes seconded from homebrew chapters that belong to some folks I'm fond of that I follow on Instagram.

That's a great mini! How'd you manage to get the crackle effect on the Iron Hands pauldron? It looks really nice!

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

A bear. It was nice just trying out different shades of brown

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

It's subtle sorta but I like that darker gray on the front shoulders there. Nice bear.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Famous last words

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Finished up another almost-done Tyranid! All I have left that I bought before 10th edition is two Carnifexes which will be fun

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Paranoid Dude posted:

That's a great mini! How'd you manage to get the crackle effect on the Iron Hands pauldron? It looks really nice!

Thanks! I used Abaddon black to make the cracks and dents and then used Blue Horror to highlight.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

It's subtle sorta but I like that darker gray on the front shoulders there. Nice bear.

Thanks, that was what I was going for after looking up some reference pics

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
WIP of my ultramarine duder. I guess he'll be the standard bearer of my mixed chapter squad! I'm super happy with him so far, I think he's probably the best model I've painted. Stayed up a little bit too late on a worknight to finish the dang armor. Upon closer inspection, I maybe ought to tone down the highlights on top of the helmet, and do something to make the shoulder pads pop more besides putting on decals, but I don't really like the 'eavy metal style of highlighting the inside of shoulder pads, so I dunno how I'll go about that. Maybe some super light drybrushing with alaitoc blue before applying decals?

Anyway, super excited to get started on the ancient banner I found in my bits box- I haven't painted cloth before, so it'll be an interesting challenge!

Hidden to his right is a shameful white scars marine that I just want to forget about. Only after I'd basecoated the entire mini in white scar did I realise I'd totally hosed up, partly due to having to use too many layers to get good coverage, but also because... how do you highlight something when your basecoat is your brightest colour :downs:? Thought maybe I could save it by just washing the recesses but there was just zero pop, I made a mess with the wash, and the more I worked on it the less satisfied I became, so I just slathered the mini in weathering and gave up. Painted the helmet in the wrong shade of red too. Total catastrophe! More likely to strip it than try to fix it.

AndyElusive posted:

:vince:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Bohemian Nights posted:

Hidden to his right is a shameful white scars marine that I just want to forget about. Only after I'd basecoated the entire mini in white scar did I realise I'd totally hosed up, partly due to having to use too many layers to get good coverage, but also because... how do you highlight something when your basecoat is your brightest colour :downs:? Thought maybe I could save it by just washing the recesses but there was just zero pop, I made a mess with the wash, and the more I worked on it the less satisfied I became, so I just slathered the mini in weathering and gave up. Painted the helmet in the wrong shade of red too. Total catastrophe! More likely to strip it than try to fix it.

I think the White Scar looks pretty great tbh, I like the muddy white. What I think it really needs is more depth in the red. I'd very carefully apply green or dark brown wash in the recesses and as lines between the sections on the helmet.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I think the White Scar looks pretty great tbh, I like the muddy white. What I think it really needs is more depth in the red. I'd very carefully apply green or dark brown wash in the recesses and as lines between the sections on the helmet.

Thanks for the tip, I guess I'll try!

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I'm really baffled at how inconsistent contrast paints feel compared to each other. I've been trying a bit of space wolves gray and it really feels more like I'm using drakenhoff nightshade than anything else.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

w00tmonger posted:

Crusader skin can be pretty dark, I but half suspect your lighting isn't doing you any favors. Extremely warm

Oh yeah my desk lamp is very warm. Though even in cooler lighting it's definitely still darker than I intended

NinjaDebugger posted:

For lighter skin, dilute the crusader skin with speed paint medium.

The easy cheat code for eyes on a human like face is "looking all the way to one side is always valid"

I've also got some contrast white I could mix in too. I'll give that a shot next time

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

AndyElusive posted:

These are great!

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

AndyElusive posted:

What did you do for that basing? It looks great and I really like how naturally dry and dusty it looks.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Thanks guys!

The base is just a basecoat of Doombull Brown and then a coat of Martian Ironcrust leaving spots open for a fill in of Martian Ironearth crackle paint.

Then a wash of Reikland Flesh, a drybrush of Tuskgor Fur (I should probably skip this drybrush but it's force of habit) and then a very liberal application of AK pigment which is a mix of Medium Rust and Vietnam Earth. Hope that helps!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Oh yeah my desk lamp is very warm. Though even in cooler lighting it's definitely still darker than I intended

I've also got some contrast white I could mix in too. I'll give that a shot next time

My gut says try mixing a little of the speedpaint bone rather than the white, I feel like the white will make the skin look very unhealthy because it has a slight bluish tinge. Also if you zenithal (or drybrush white) over brown instead of black it can help the contrast skin tone paints, sometimes they struggle to bring any tone over the black parts at all, brown gives you a warmer (and less harsh) shadow while still doing the slapchop thing.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
more diorama

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Eej posted:

Finished up another almost-done Tyranid! All I have left that I bought before 10th edition is two Carnifexes which will be fun

I love how vivid and eye grabbing this scheme is. I'm hoping to do something similar and am definitely inspired by it :buddy:

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I love this. Feels very much like a early 90s lego catalogue.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

This is disgusting and I demand more.

[Seriously, it's great and makes me want to try painting the littlest of weird little guys]

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Hell yes.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Thanks guys!

The base is just a basecoat of Doombull Brown and then a coat of Martian Ironcrust leaving spots open for a fill in of Martian Ironearth crackle paint.

Then a wash of Reikland Flesh, a drybrush of Tuskgor Fur (I should probably skip this drybrush but it's force of habit) and then a very liberal application of AK pigment which is a mix of Medium Rust and Vietnam Earth. Hope that helps!

*posts really good work*

*it's just a few simple steps*

I think I'm overcomplicating the process :cripes:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Angry Lobster posted:

I'm really baffled at how inconsistent contrast paints feel compared to each other. I've been trying a bit of space wolves gray and it really feels more like I'm using drakenhoff nightshade than anything else.

I've heard that Vallejo Xpress Color are more uniform in performance otherwise Contrast is what it is.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

SiKboy posted:

My gut says try mixing a little of the speedpaint bone rather than the white, I feel like the white will make the skin look very unhealthy because it has a slight bluish tinge. Also if you zenithal (or drybrush white) over brown instead of black it can help the contrast skin tone paints, sometimes they struggle to bring any tone over the black parts at all, brown gives you a warmer (and less harsh) shadow while still doing the slapchop thing.

Absolutely do not mix in anything but the speedpaint medium. Speedpaint white and bone are both colored paints, they won't lighten poo poo. Speedpaint white is actually a bluish grey that's made to flow down into the cracks and darken them, leaving the heights bright, it is actually just as dark as the crusader flesh. The equivalent of "adding white" to lighten is literally to add speedpaint medium so that it lets your base color shine through more.

You can actually use diluted pallid bone as a lighter skintone on its own, it comes out looking less brown and more yellow, and is fine. Similarly, if you dilute one of them heavily and use a fleshtone of your choice (slightly brighter than you want the final to be) it will act like a wash and add the depth for you.

as far as slap chop goes, try prime black, then doing a very deep, strong drybrush or airbrush grey or warm brown, then do a light dry/air zenithal with bright white.

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014

:vince:

Love Warmaster, really wish there was a big (or even small...) scene anywhere near me.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Looks like the art style of King's Bounty video games

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Finecast can suck it

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I love how vivid and eye grabbing this scheme is. I'm hoping to do something similar and am definitely inspired by it :buddy:

These are the videos that I drew from for doing my Nids, hopefully they might help you too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBu3e8jZDEc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG9pzpKdtO4

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Z the IVth posted:

I've heard that Vallejo Xpress Color are more uniform in performance otherwise Contrast is what it is.

So they say, I have a couple of bottles myself, but I haven't had the opportunity to properly tests them. At first glance, they behave pretty similarly, although the colours are not as strong as citadel's paints, unfortunately.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

RT Dread continues apace - the scheme is a homage to old school ultramarines/blood angels that I was gifted as a kid by my uncle (and then promptly ruined the now-priceless RT figures by painting them with enamels, setting them on fire, etc.):

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Im out of town for work, so excuse my poo poo set-up. I found a store that had old warhams and picked up some harlequins. Because of space restraint, i cant really get too many more colours. Im not really sure where to go from here so i'd love some suggestions.

And here are the colours i have to work with

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

My Spirit Otter posted:

Im out of town for work, so excuse my poo poo set-up. I found a store that had old warhams and picked up some harlequins. Because of space restraint, i cant really get too many more colours. Im not really sure where to go from here so i'd love some suggestions.

And here are the colours i have to work with

Pink and white accents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Pink and white accents.

This is the answer. Just Arizona Iced Tea that bike up