Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
His hair being different is interesting, it’s been his afro buss cut with a low fade until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m really trying not to get my expectations up, but it’s really hard when every single photo coming out of this upcoming season is better than the last.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1649103170210238464

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Boxturret posted:

I don't really recall previous doctor's changing their outfit to blend in to the time period before, neat.

Hey, 9 put on a new jumper! And 10 made an effort with his hair in The Idiot's Lantern.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Eleven sometimes put on a different coat

Twelve probably had the most variety though (mostly because he brought his own clothes, I think?)

Thirteen definitely has the worst of it though, and we were robbed of more stories with the inverted dark coat, which looked a lot better on her

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

but I dont want the doctor's most powerful enemy yet. i want literally any other adjective instead of "powerful",,

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

"the doctors most zany enemy yet"

"the doctor's dumbest enemy yet"

all good and would be good episodes imo

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Boxturret posted:

I don't really recall previous doctor's changing their outfit to blend in to the time period before, neat.

Au contraire

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Au contraire

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Why the various Doctors wear different outfits all the time!

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Random Stranger posted:

Chibnal: "95% of the budget goes to CGI."

Davies: "95% of the budget goes to wardrobe."

Davies is right.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The doctor has faced down literal gods. I find it hard to believe that this is the most powerful enemy yet.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

OK I've been out of the Doctor Who scene for awhile but I have to watch this episode. They look amazing.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

CommonShore posted:

The doctor has faced down literal gods. I find it hard to believe that this is the most powerful enemy yet.

Good to see that the usual RTD strategy of "ramp up the stakes and overhype the threat, to ultimately disappointing levels" is still the first page in his playbook

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It’s a single tweet

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
RTD is a showman and he'll say wild things and do big splashy setpieces to get as many eyeballs as possible on the show. It worked really well for him!

I didn't like it at the time, but I'm looking forward to his second run.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s a single tweet

Yes, he's just getting started, that's correct :v:

Clouseau posted:

RTD is a showman and he'll say wild things and do big splashy setpieces to get as many eyeballs as possible on the show. It worked really well for him!

And fair play to him on that. His style of showmanship doesn't particularly appeal to me personally, but I can't argue with how successful his original run on the show was.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Wow. He absolutely rocks that outfit. Like, I know jack poo poo about fashion, but I know he looks drat good.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The theme from Shaft started playing in my head when I saw this.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I like this one, because drat that is an arse.

https://twitter.com/missrebelleious/status/1649108689322639387

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Timby posted:

The theme from Shaft started playing in my head when I saw this.
The theme from Department S for me.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Which Doctor is the biggest rear end?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Khanstant posted:

Which Doctor is the biggest rear end?
Is? Six. Has? Zero.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
When Peter Davison was filming Time Crash, the BBC dug out one of his old outfits to wear, rather than having a replica made. It turns out the trousers were larger than they were supposed to be, because they'd picked the pair that were altered to fit Colin Baker in the post regeneration scenes.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

And that pair was still too small, so he had the flies undone. It's very obvious when watching that scene that he's shot from the waist up.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Wasn't sure if this had been posted here yet:

https://twitter.com/sophie_aldred/s...o-newsupdate%2F

A Martha/Ace spinoff would definitely get my interest, I have to say

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I rewatched The Eleventh Hour and it holds up pretty well I think, aside from the future references where it's like -- "ok so how did everyone in the universe know this incredibly specific fact to the doctor's timeline, but not the doctor". But ehhh.

Also based on the moment when she joins the TARDIS crew, I could totally see an alt universe write of this where the doctor is a serial abuser who abducts girls... yeesh

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Wasn't sure if this had been posted here yet:

https://twitter.com/sophie_aldred/s...o-newsupdate%2F

A Martha/Ace spinoff would definitely get my interest, I have to say

Hell yeah, that's an adorable picture, too.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

alexandriao posted:

I rewatched The Eleventh Hour and it holds up pretty well I think, aside from the future references where it's like -- "ok so how did everyone in the universe know this incredibly specific fact to the doctor's timeline, but not the doctor". But ehhh.

That one made a bit more sense than some of the others (looking at you timeless child) because at least prisoner zero came through a crack and might have gained some knowledge from that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Eleventh Hour is so loving good, the perfect start to a near perfect season (marred by, sadly but predictably, Chris Chibnal!). Just incredibly great Doctor Who.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

The Eleventh Hour is so loving good, the perfect start to a near perfect season (marred by, sadly but predictably, Chris Chibnal!). Just incredibly great Doctor Who.
:(

I don't remember Chibnall ruining Eleventh Hour and I almost don't want to know how he did it, but now I have to know.

:sigh:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

:(

I don't remember Chibnall ruining Eleventh Hour and I almost don't want to know how he did it, but now I have to know.

:sigh:

J-Ru means Chibnall nearly ruined the season with his Silurian 2 parter.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Eh, Victory of the Daleks is shite too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

Eh, Victory of the Daleks is shite too.

It's certainly one of the weaker episodes but I loved the whole aesthetic (until those AWFUL Dalek redesigns) and the interplay between the Doctor and the "nice" Daleks.

"YOU DO NOT REQUIRE TEA!?!"

The Silurian 2-parter was such a let down, but it's also frustratingly pretty vital on a rewatch due to those excellent last couple minutes of the last episode when Moffat took the writer's chair back and did Rory's death (and subsequent erasure) scene.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The first episode of the Silurian 2 parter is good, I will fight you

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Because I don't want to fight anybody, I will agree that it's certainly better than the second part!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Oh and because it needed saying, Caves (which was our random one for the week) is ludicrously good. A Jacobean revenge tragedy in a sci fi setting with fantastic performances throughout. It turns out that the best way to write for PD's doctor is to write for Tom Baker's, but only if you want the tone to be incredibly grim - Tom's character could easily pull off the "being flippant under danger" (which was a big problem sometimes as it undermined the threat). Davison's Doctor doing that, though, just gives off waves of fatalism. Great stuff.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

And he did it all for a woman he had known for many years and been on hundreds of adventures with, I wonder if he would have done the same for somebody he barely knew!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

What's nice is also that it is actually firing on all cylinders for once - the story would be nowhere near as good if the script was worse, if the direction was worse, if the performances were worse, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davison himself said something akin to,"If they could have made more stories like this I would have stayed!" didn't he?