Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

MonkeyLibFront posted:

You say this like it's a new phenomenon for NATO, every war game that's been had was that we would run out of ammo in weeks/days at current production rates, what NATO countries need to do is actually ramp up production and not just hand over units at peace time rates. For example, small arms and artillery shells are on a normal rate at the BAE factory in the UK, they are scaled to ramp up to 24 hour production if necessary, they haven't so far, I would assume that the US also has clauses in their munitions factory contracts that allow them at cost to ramp up without penalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.brusselstimes.com/463598/macron-working-on-secret-plan-with-china-to-end-ukraine-war

lol Jupiter

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

CODChimera posted:

https://twitter.com/ForeignPolicy/status/1649133336600670212

offensive on hold until ukraine gets more stuff and things

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

so I guess all the [TBD] stuff in the leaks was literal, huh

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Cheque still hasn't arrived in Kiev, again? Ah what a shame. Don't worry zelensky I'll call finance and have them write out another one and pop it into the post first thing Monday morning. You know how mail is these days, very unreliable.

(Reaches down, unplugs phone from wall)

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
calling off an offensive because you have no weapons, trained men, or supplies feels a bit too sensible for Ukraine. I'm guessing this is an attempt to throw Russia off the scent.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

it's going to be wild when we get a ceasefire with around the same territory lines as we currently have. people will lose their minds

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Comrade Koba posted:

so I guess all the [TBD] stuff in the leaks was literal, huh

Actually I think you'll find TBD stands for totally badass devastator

CODChimera posted:

it's going to be wild when we get a ceasefire with around the same territory lines as we currently have. people will lose their minds

Why would Russia agree to this?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Actually I think you'll find TBD stands for totally badass devastator

Why would Russia agree to this?

because they aren't actually morder and its likely both sides are outta gas

BennyProfane
Apr 19, 2023

by vyelkin
I don't think Russia is truly out of gas any time soon, and it's hard to imagine a way out of this that doesn't include a significant demilitarised zone to help prevent decades of stochastic terrorism in the future.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Europe is out of gas, russia has a lot of gas

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

CODChimera posted:

because they aren't actually morder and its likely both sides are outta gas

Why is that likely

If they aren't out of gas, what incentive do they have to make any concessions at all

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Regrettably both sides claim that time’s on their side and the other guys will crumble any moment now. This is gonna be a long rear end thread.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

CODChimera posted:

It will, but mainly because I can't imagine anyone wants to live with rocket artillery falling on their neighborhood every day.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It wouldn't solve anything for the Russians, they need to (and should) keep on shelling regardless. More recently, Russians have been pretty aggressive in hitting targets recently well behind the front line, and I would say as long as the Ukrainians are the worst of it, there is no real reason for the Russians to stop. Also yeah, even though Bakhmut (I am just going to use the old name for clarity) is going slowly, but the Ukrainians are in a really a pretty desperate position there as well.

But yeah, it has come up before, but whenever the war is going slowly, the expectation is both sides will come to a ceasefire because "it is a silly war with nothing at stake." It really isn't.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 07:00 on Apr 21, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Slavvy posted:

Why is that likely

If they aren't out of gas, what incentive do they have to make any concessions at all

This and with the entire western diplomatic corps already opened their dumb collective mouths about their planned intentions towards Russia, repeatedly & loudly.

There won't be a negotiation of any kind. That's cope from the self proclaimed cradle of civilisation thinking they can still talk their way out of this like they're negotiating a clothing deal with a garment factory.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/business/status/1648954681752731650

maximum neoliberalization in the middle of a war isn't turning out the expected profits

blackrock and co probably just hedging for safer bet of firesales for the harvest

Canadian teacher's pensions funds are going to bankroll the next three months of the war

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

DancingShade posted:

the self proclaimed cradle of civilisation thinking they can still talk their way out of this

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

dk2m posted:

https://twitter.com/war_noir/status/1542474807132012546

there was this from a while ago, which apparently is a variant of the M72, which itself is a variant of the BMW R71

honestly, it looks sick but there’s probably a reason why there’s been no footage (at least from what I’ve seen) of this thing actually in action

back when the war was fun, when me and the boys would load up nuts to butts on the ol' rusty steed to steal russian hardware, there was some choice sidecar footage

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1499748267692892163

great vehicles to bop along a broken road on, i absolutely adore them, but i would prefer more armor if i was gonna get shot at. its absolutely not surprising video examples dried up after only a couple of months

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Why is that likely

They were extremely hesitant to call a mobilization and might be just as hesitant when it comes to sending in the mobiks to get blown up. But, nah, don't think Xi is going to solve this one.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
please do not doubt nobel peace prize winner xi jinping

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

genericnick posted:

They were extremely hesitant to call a mobilization and might be just as hesitant when it comes to sending in the mobiks to get blown up. But, nah, don't think Xi is going to solve this one.

They don't want to send mobilized soldiers into a meat-grinder, but it doesn't mean they are just going to call it quits either. If anything, Russian strategy seems focused on reducing the combat potential of the AFU to the point that more professional troops can create openings for mobilized units.

The issue the Russians had during the invasion wasn't defeating AFU units but holding territory and protecting supply lines. The Russians need the Ukrainians in a position to do it again.

crepeface posted:

please do not doubt nobel peace prize winner xi jinping

For Xi to work his magic, the Ukrainians need to be abandoned to their fate by the West.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russia can win by continuing to do what they're doing ie preserving their force and mulching Ukrainian troops until they run out of bodies and machinery while also trashing ukraines infra

Ukraine can win by sweeping Russia out of the country with huge manpower intensive offensives backed by mass air power and artillery, reversing the entire course of the war

Which of these looks closer to reality is largely determined by how many Ukraine flags your Twitter handle has

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Russia can win by continuing to do what they're doing ie preserving their force and mulching Ukrainian troops until they run out of bodies and machinery while also trashing ukraines infra

Ukraine can win by sweeping Russia out of the country with huge manpower intensive offensives backed by mass air power and artillery, reversing the entire course of the war

Which of these looks closer to reality is largely determined by how many Ukraine flags your Twitter handle has

I think some in the West still expect that Russia will throw up its hands because "Putin is just some tin pot dictator that got into this on a lark" but eventually "calmer heads will prevail.' And in the end, a ceasefire will happen because this is "a meaningless brush war," not something that is actually core to Russian strategic interests. Furthermore, they assume that since the frontline hasn't moved that much means the "war has practically burned itself out."

In reality, it is very clear that the war hasn't stopped, and the lack of movement doesn't mean tons of people aren't dying every day.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

I hate how so many people's predictions of outcome depend entirely on their desires. Everyone is too optimistic! Give me a guy who says "I love [Zelensky/Putin] but he's hosed".

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

platzapS posted:

I hate how so many people's predictions of outcome depend entirely on their desires. Everyone is too optimistic! Give me a guy who says "I love [Zelensky/Putin] but he's hosed".

Ok here you go: I hate putin but he's going to win

Note: I've kissed people I hate before

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Ok here you go: I hate putin but he's going to win

Note: I've kissed people I hate before

Thank you slavvy i am satisfied.

On second thought I guess it's related because if you're doomed it's poor form to keep the war going.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
You'd need to love someone to be all like, I love them but they're hosed.

I don't think we even like like any of the involved leaders / governments.

I dunno if putin is going to win - but I don't think there's ever been a way for ukraine to win - only ways for all of us to lose - and in the interim a poo poo ton of innocents and conscripts get turned to slurry and a country suffers such levels of demographic attrition and collapse it might very well just... die.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, Putin is in reality pretty poo poo, but despite the incompetent planning of the first phase, this war really is about Russia as a whole more than it is about him, and any leader even somewhat loyal to the country would have eventually done the same.

Anyway, Russia by pushing advertising for contract soldiers as well as gearing up its MIC seems to be signaling a long-term commitment to this war.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I know who is going to win: Raytheon shareholders.

Someone I know holds shares and is giddy every time we talk about this.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

AnimeIsTrash posted:

during the intelligence leak several cum warrior thread posters also revealed they had security clearances @_@

predictable lol

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

AnimeIsTrash posted:

during the intelligence leak several cum warrior thread posters also revealed they had security clearances @_@

lol that owns, forum previously modded by bellingcat founder is filled with nafo warriors

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Putin sucks but results are results

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

Regarding the existential nature of this war for Russia: why haven't they declared a war if that is the case? Calling the SMO a war can still get your arrested and no draft has been issued.

Seems like declaring war would be the first step if you feel your existence is threatened.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

Regarding the existential nature of this war for Russia: why haven't they declared a war if that is the case? Calling the SMO a war can still get your arrested and no draft has been issued.

Seems like declaring war would be the first step if you feel your existence is threatened.

Because it doesn't gain them any specific advantage, and people call the SMO a war all the time in Russia.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ardennes posted:

I think some in the West still expect that Russia will throw up its hands because "Putin is just some tin pot dictator that got into this on a lark" but eventually "calmer heads will prevail.' And in the end, a ceasefire will happen because this is "a meaningless brush war," not something that is actually core to Russian strategic interests. Furthermore, they assume that since the frontline hasn't moved that much means the "war has practically burned itself out."

In reality, it is very clear that the war hasn't stopped, and the lack of movement doesn't mean tons of people aren't dying every day.

Like who? In terms of euros you have the psychos on one side and the grumblers on the other. Pretty sure everyone in the second group is aware that this won't end without significant territorial concessions, but you can't say it in the same ZIP code as a microphone while the first one is hyped up to have someone else fight WW3 over this.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

What would declaring it a war do?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

genericnick posted:

Like who? In terms of euros you have the psychos on one side and the grumblers on the other. Pretty sure everyone in the second group is aware that this won't end without significant territorial concessions, but you can't say it in the same ZIP code as a microphone while the first one is hyped up to have someone else fight WW3 over this.

There are plenty of people somewhere in the middle that silently don't believe the Ukrainians can win but somehow the West can clinch somewhat of a victory out of it by the Russians not gaining meaningfully more territory (American liberals in particular).

genericnick posted:

The entire army gets a stat buff and higher leadership.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 11:50 on Apr 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

genericnick posted:

More epic sound track for the movie.