Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

freebooter posted:

Wait until the budget is announced - whatever a Senate panel says, there's still the slim chance Albo makes a captain's call.

I'm still waiting for these ALP die-hards to explain to me why keeping the stage 3 tax cuts/cutting better access scheme session numbers is really good and consistent with the ALP core.

Like the ALP holds government presently they can change things, but I suppose it's easier to just do some hand-wringing and act in exactly the same way if Morrison's government was re-elected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Recoome posted:

I'm still waiting for these ALP die-hards to explain to me why keeping the stage 3 tax cuts/cutting better access scheme session numbers is really good and consistent with the ALP core.

Like the ALP holds government presently they can change things, but I suppose it's easier to just do some hand-wringing and act in exactly the same way if Morrison's government was re-elected.

Yeah but the Greens voted down the CPRS in 2009 and Albo comes from a disadvantaged background, and you stop doubting them, they've got a plan. Greens and the CPRS.

There, now you don't have to talk to a rusted on Labor hack. We're looking out for you.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
im sorry we broke our promise to never have a gst in this country and look how much the media shits on us for it and how little trust left in us now to be good economic managers

sorry? what did i say?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
oh cool they even have a register of broken promises https://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/search/display/display.w3p;query=Id:%22library/partypol/EZID6%22

but no we can't break our promises, circumstances never change, we're forced to hold the line of our "soft opposition" strategies forever now

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

The stage 3 tax cuts are especially galling in the context of the desperate rush to ostensibly reduce spending and cool demand by hoiking up interest rates.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Tomberforce posted:

The stage 3 tax cuts are especially galling in the context of the desperate rush to ostensibly reduce spending and cool demand by hoiking up interest rates.

Yeah definitely.

I also find it kind of annoying that HECS indexation is what's grabbed alumni's attention and caused a media stir. I appreciate that 7% inflation/indexation makes people sit up and take notice, but the far more hosed thing (and what I would prefer Labor to remedy) is that the repayment thresholds have not only not been raised to account for inflation, they've been actively lowered. That is far more unjust and far more onerous for graduates earning 45-65k a year than their debt level rising with inflation.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

the stage 3 tax cuts will allow me to buy that jet ski i've been eyeing off.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

hambeet posted:

the stage 3 tax cuts will allow me to buy that jet ski i've been eyeing off.

Enjoy your short ride and long hospital stay when your old man bones shatter like glass.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

freebooter posted:

Yeah definitely.

I also find it kind of annoying that HECS indexation is what's grabbed alumni's attention and caused a media stir. I appreciate that 7% inflation/indexation makes people sit up and take notice, but the far more hosed thing (and what I would prefer Labor to remedy) is that the repayment thresholds have not only not been raised to account for inflation, they've been actively lowered. That is far more unjust and far more onerous for graduates earning 45-65k a year than their debt level rising with inflation.

I mean this is the other part of it AND it was a key point raised by the Greens but, as is established, Labor's hands are tied oh well what can anyone really do?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

hooman posted:

Enjoy your short ride and long hospital stay when your old man bones shatter like glass.
Being a burden on the remnants of our free public health system is the least the elderly can do after slamming all the available doors in the faces of the young to ensure you live in the gutter and eat mouldy used pizza.

YVW BTW FYGM

In further Austro-Sino news: Lessons not learnt as we reengage with China to cement them as our largest trading partner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFzdgqClOpY

FFS

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Here's an interesting perspective from The HECS Explainer

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-19/hecs-indexation-explainer/102237170

All very riveting stuff, shame that the three journos on the byline couldn't as Ol' Bruce about why the annual income has somehow gone down which is a bit counter to the whole inflation argument. If anything, the minimum threshold should be going up?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Father Bob died

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

The last good catholic

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Taking his greivances to God directly.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

GoldStandardConure posted:

Taking his greivances to God directly.

She better loving listen this time.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

https://twitter.com/JohnSafran/status/1648547833329459201

I was already feeling sick today but now I'm just very sad.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
The only priest I've ever liked

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

ShoeFly posted:

The last good catholic

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

ShoeFly posted:

The last good catholic

Mel Gibson is still alive.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

JBP posted:

Mel Gibson is still alive.

Not sure he qualifies for the good part.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Testekill posted:

https://twitter.com/JohnSafran/status/1648547833329459201

I was already feeling sick today but now I'm just very sad.

I thought he died ages ago. I must be either conflating him with another famous aussie catholic or Mandela effecting him being fired with him dying. Vale Bob

Also I got a robocall today that was in Mandarin so I looked it up and apparently it's a kinda successful scam telling old Chinese people that they owe huge debt and threatens to kill their families? Weird

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 20, 2023

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

The Peccadillo posted:

Also I got a robocall today that was in Mandarin so I looked it up and apparently it's a kinda successful scam telling old Chinese people that they owe huge debt and threatens to kill their families? Weird

I thought they cancelled the robodebt thing?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Non Compos Mentis posted:

I thought they cancelled the robodebt thing?

They didn't cancel the mandarin robodebt scam thing tho

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Laserface posted:

They didn't cancel the mandarin robodebt scam thing tho

It's sad that the government run program lines up so neatly with a literal theft scam.

Odd that nobody seems to be going to jail over it, despite everyone knowing who did it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I keep getting that stupid twitter ad mourning the death of David Koch.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
He was executed for financial crimes

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I keep getting that stupid twitter ad mourning the death of David Koch.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

my brother had a spare ticket to the Jordies live show about Bruz. I went. cliffnotes for those interested:

- FJ paid barilaros court costs of 50k (not a 100k settlement as reported) and a 50k fee to ask to have a jury hear the case (they wanted a jury because there was a better chance they would 'get' the humour involved) that the judge knocked back because quote 'ive watched a youtube, i get the internet' and then pronounced 'bruz' as if it were a french word.
- the settlement included Barilaro signing a document that said everything FJ said he did was not defamatory or untrue (tacitly confirming that everything reported was in fact true)
- FJ had to apologise for hurting Bariilaros feelings, nothing else.

about the google case:
- they dont know for sure but the educated guess from their lawyer is that case against google ended with google dropping their defense because if they lost and Google ended up a classified as a publisher and not a platform would set a pretty scary precedent for Google and they couldnt afford to let that happen. FJ was originally a witness in that case and had planned to use their settlement document as evidence however Google chickened out at the last minute, changed to a whole different legal team and settled as reported.

nothing (directly accusatory) about who he thought firebombed his house, plenty of wog jokes, ad hominems and stereotype humour that everyone here frowns about.

spent too much time getting mad that the mainstream media dont like him in the middle then rounded the show out with a big spiel about how they were just pawns in a much bigger game re: the google case and democracy isnt real.

decent show, was funny enough (even if you totally exclude all the questionable humor and just leave it as a story about court) but a little preachy.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Non Compos Mentis posted:

The only priest I've ever liked

There are plenty of other dead priests you know?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I knew mine as kid. I assume he's dead, he was old as hell twenty years ago. Nice dude

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

The Peccadillo posted:

I knew mine as kid. I assume he's dead, he was old as hell twenty years ago. Nice dude

I grew up in a very small town, went to the local catholic primary school where the priest was a kind scruffy old guy quick to laugh, encouraged us to take care of each other, and always had time to listen - and I haven't experienced such a sense of community or place since.

Then I went to a catholic high school in the city where the priest was an overdressed prick and the whole place was one of entitlement and show and that the people should know their place - and I've hated religion ever since.

edit: ok, I don't hate religion. I listen to too many Buddhist podcasts and meditate to hate religion. I do stand by the idea that the start of a religion is a cry for help, and I hate those fuckers that wilfully subvert the message for their own self-interest.

SecretOfSteel fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 22, 2023

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/cameronwilson/status/1649656196599791617

its a shame leunig is a nutso

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Long Dan

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

SecretOfSteel posted:

I grew up in a very small town, went to the local catholic primary school where the priest was a kind scruffy old guy quick to laugh, encouraged us to take care of each other, and always had time to listen - and I haven't experienced such a sense of community or place since.

Then I went to a catholic high school in the city where the priest was an overdressed prick and the whole place was one of entitlement and show and that the people should know their place - and I've hated religion ever since.

edit: ok, I don't hate religion. I listen to too many Buddhist podcasts and meditate to hate religion. I do stand by the idea that the start of a religion is a cry for help, and I hate those fuckers that wilfully subvert the message for their own self-interest.

Yeah it's nice to have a bit of religious culture, it's annoying to have to seek it out rather than growing up in it

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

SecretOfSteel posted:

Growing up in a small town too the local catholic priest was pretty chill and even would regularly remind people during sermons that that hell isn't a real place.

Then I went to a large high school in the city (Newcastle) where the principal/brother once held a special assembly for all 1000 or so students specifically to tell us to "stop all the bitching" which was received with silent awe.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I'm attending lessons at a local orthodox Christian church ahead of my wedding in order to become a part of the church to get married there and as a long time agnostic it is cool and chill and interesting and full of history. I've learned a lot and enjoyed it so far.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
My dad was a baptist and hit me and told me pokemon was the work of the devil.

Been playing pokemon ever since. :beerpal:

Also he used some loophole where he created a company and made his new wife the CEO and put on the books that he was being paid minimum wage in order to avoid paying child support to my mum.

Wants my kid to get baptised.

lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Aware posted:

I'm attending lessons at a local orthodox Christian church ahead of my wedding in order to become a part of the church to get married there and as a long time agnostic it is cool and chill and interesting and full of history. I've learned a lot and enjoyed it so far.

I'm a Catholic and married an orthodox person in an orthodox church and I didn't have to do anything extra as the two churches are cool with each other I guess. Would have been nice to learn a bit about it though, it's very different to the modern Catholic church, probably more like it was pre Vatican II