Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I both love and hate Desktop Dungeons Rewind. It holds up incredibly well and is absolutely awesome, but it also forces me to accept that my brain is really not good at understanding mechanics in a way that lets me solve these puzzles. I was trying the challenge maps and got to one about the slow effect and there are three normal enemies, a boss, one spell, and one weapon. Very few variables. Even without grasping the mechanics I should be able to brute force the puzzle given enough attempts, yet I cannot solve this.

Thankfully I can progress overall because sometimes you luck into an easy map or a map that is easy for the class combo I choose. Excellent game, I fully expect to sink another dozen or so hours into it much like the original. Even more if it works on the deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

haldolium posted:

sounds a bit like the uncanny valley effect.

Word, I was thinking something similar, just caught off guard cause I don't really have any issues with the presentation of humans or human actions in the Unrecord video. I assumed that's also part of why they obscured 'enemy' faces and hands, aside from leaning into the bodycam viewpoint.

The situational mismatch of presenting me with an FPS solo actor gunning down 'enemies' in set pieces mixed with the realistic visuals and presentation is stretching my suspension of disbelief to the breaking point I think. In Heavy Rain the mansion shootout stretched my suspension of disbelief so far that it broke & I think Unrecord is close to doing something similar.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

haldolium posted:

Games are inevitable bound to technology, which is for me the reason why they're an amazing medium as they combine a large spectrum of arts and tech together. I appreciate all directions, Nothern Journey was amazing but so is development towards photorealism. I think it is always great to try to achieve that level, let artists then decide what to do with it. Only because you have the option to use physically correct representation of the world, doesn't mean we have to or will see only cop shooters or whatever. Of course AAA companies will push that poo poo out regardless, but they did so forever while driving the tech forward.

oh yeah if it's done for the sake of passion or creativity i won't complain. i don't even really have an issue with the hyper realistic cop simulator game. i meant these 200 million dollar games where a hundred artists work around the clock to sculpt a perfect pair of digital horse balls so rockstar can put it on some promo material. where two hundred artists look at liveleak videos and go insane to make sure noted anti-violence game the last of us 2 perfectly depicts how a human skull cracks when smacked by a brick. aside from the human cost of these things, it's lead to impressive graphics being an end to itself rather than in any way enhancing your experience of playing the game.

the level of detail constrains the gameplay, since the stupidly detailed animations now need to perfectly line up, so your player can't do what they want, they have to abide by the railings put into the game. there hasn't been a AAA game that's significantly advanced video gaming as a medium in a long time and most of them seem to be regressing. they just get prettier and more boring. in gta 3 or vice city there was an assassination mission where you were supposed to have a boat chase. i took an RPG to the shore and killed his boat. if i'd tried that in their more recent games it would have told me MISSION FAILED: YOU HAVE TO EXPERIENCE THE CHASE SEQUENCE WE SPENT SO MUCH MONEY TO MAKE.

though tbh mostly i just wanted to post a pic of the witch from northern journey.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
If a generic shooter in a generic eastern European warehouse asset pack with a slightly different camera angle gets you all shocked and upset, I've been told in Ready or Not the hospital mission is set directly after the nightclub attack and you find survivors in the ICU who've been executed.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

SirSamVimes posted:

V Rising rules. I imprisoned someone with high quality blood so I could feed and drain him repeatedly and not have to settle for low quality peasant blood when hunting a boss. The game's mechanics absolutely encourage you to play like an evil vampire lord from trashy dark fantasy books.

It absolutely owns. I have a (fairly inert) thread about it here, I expect a pretty decent bump in popularity with the big patch in a month.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4003177&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, I enjoyed V Rising a whole bunch when I first played it, at this point I pretty much just put it on the backburner until it's more complete. At first I was a little scared off by its apparent focus on clan-based PVP, but it's really customizable and lets you adjust pretty much everything to the point where it works just fine as a solo game as well.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I both love and hate Desktop Dungeons Rewind. It holds up incredibly well and is absolutely awesome, but it also forces me to accept that my brain is really not good at understanding mechanics in a way that lets me solve these puzzles. I was trying the challenge maps and got to one about the slow effect and there are three normal enemies, a boss, one spell, and one weapon. Very few variables. Even without grasping the mechanics I should be able to brute force the puzzle given enough attempts, yet I cannot solve this.
I've been checking out the original non-Rewind version this morning and I'm pretty sure just did this puzzle, assuming it's the first Slow puzzle and the same in Rewind: There's no healing so you need to be extremely precise with the amount of damage you take. The only thing you really control is whether you're holding the big sword that makes you slow or not (since you'll strike last if you're holding it, thus taking damage even on the killing blow). So if you kill the first enemy without picking it up first, you won't take damage. Then pick it up to kill the next two, taking unavoidable damage. Then you can hit the boss once safely, use the swap power to slow him, ditch the sword so you're not slow yourself, and safely get the killing blow.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

quote:

https://www.trueachievements.com/n52956/shinji-mikami-leaving-tango-gameworks

quote:

Jeff Grubb on Hi-Fi Rush: "Based on what I've heard, it just didn't make the money it needed to make"
https://www.resetera.com/threads/jeff-grubb-on-hi-fi-rush-based-on-what-ive-heard-it-just-didnt-make-the-money-it-needed-to-make.711194/

Just games industry things.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

2 Million Players according to Wikipedia. What a pathetic flop 🙄

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm assuming this is bullshit and one of the quotes are taken out of context. The body of the e-mail isn't included. And the forum thread quote is somewhere in a 2 hour plus youtube video.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Sounds like the problem isn't with any lack of success on Hi-Fi Rush's part but with Xbox management failing to leverage its success into actual money.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Volte posted:

Sounds like the problem isn't with any lack of success on Hi-Fi Rush's part but with Xbox management failing to leverage its success into actual money.

Correct. If 2 million players playing a game like Hi-Fi Rush isn't meeting expectations, then it's the expectations and the business side that are out of whack.

And if the answer to that is "well 2 million people only played it because of Game Pass" then.. isn't that exactly what Microsoft are trying to achieve?

Or is it that Hi-Fi Rush didn't drive enough new Game Pass subscriptions? In which case, the answer is that they should look internally at the bollocks up they've made of projects like Halo.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

FWIW Aaron Greenburg (Xbox marketing head) pretty flatly denied this, and Jeff did a bit of a walk back.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Time to talk about a lot of demos and stuff:

Knights of the Road: Too rough around the edges. I like the idea of Captain America-style having a shield be all of your combat/movement tech, but you bizarrely cannot throw your shield while jumping. Middle of the road music and level design.

77p: Eggwife: Trying Way Too Hard: the Game. wants to be just soooo zany random and edgy but without much in the way of actual jokes and just really bad (I'm sure it's "intentional" but w/e) level design and the guns feel terrible. It's like a 12 year old tried to create a Tom Green video game. The opening cutscene has a copy of E1M1 magazine featuring Postal2, because of course it does.

Burrowburrow: Now, this one's bizarre too, but it's much more competent. It's one of those break-a-bunch-of-tiles, craft-a-bunch-of-things games, but the animations are really fun and the art style's funky in a good way. Playing this on controller was awkward though, there were almost no button prompts and I had to just press stuff at random to figure out how to even bring up my backpack, let alone craft. Definitely needs more onboarding instructions.

Corsair's Madness
This platformer's a lot closer to decent than Knights of the Road. It's clearly inspired by Shovel Knight and easily pales in comparison to that game, but aiming that high at least means they put a priority into having decent music and level design. The double jump off the blue lanterns isn't perfect and may need a bit more forgiveness to the timing window. I like having the three green stars per level like Mario 3D World, which you can trade in to increase your hearts or special weapon points. Not a game I'd spend $20 on, but if I saw it for $5 I'd definitely go for it.

Decline's Drops
Definitely some promise to this one, a platformer with stylish combat and some pep in its step in general, and plenty of secret walls. The UI needs a lot of work, particularly on the world map, and the level design is scaled a little too large I think. But this one could turn out interesting.

Ekorella
Color me impressed with this RPG Maker offering. A unique world with interesting characters, completely original tile art, and fun battle animations. The spooky stuff doesn't work as well for me because I'm getting tired of the creepypasta aesthetic, and the illustrations feel oddly amateur compared to the rest of the game's art, but otherwise this one is pretty cool.

Fallen City Brawl
Color me UNimpressed with this brawler. Bad pixel scaling, basic move set, enemies stay on the ground for too long, lacking in interesting setpieces, the UI looks awful and is difficult to read. Really bad boss in the first level too.

Cloud Gardens
Now we're talking. This isn't a demo, I actually just grabbed it off of one of the old itchio megabundles I bought. But it was exactly the kind of relaxing building I was looking for after playing Tinytopia. The game has a campaign too, it's not just sandbox like I assumed it was. The goal is to help nature reclaim desolate dioramas by planting seeds, then placing down trash that impacts the plant growth. You have to reach 100% to complete the level, and so you have to balance the amount of disposable garbage you're placing with well placed seeds to grow over top of them. I've gone through 2 chapters so far and I really like it.

Cosmic Express
It's just this and Sokobond on my list of Draknek games to play, and this one was in that same megabundle. It's a draw-a-line puzzler where you have to pick up passengers and get them to their homes before you can leave the stage, and you have to do it all in one linear railway. What's interesting is some levels have multiple exits, which lead to different level unlocks. I'm a big fan of Draknek puzzlers, and this one is solid, though not my favorite of theirs (A Monster's Expedition, in my opinion, is masterclass design and a top 25 puzzle game).

Hokko Life
Still on the lookout for relaxing games, I gave Hokko Life a try since I got it in some Fanatical bundle at some point I think. This one is basically Animal Crossing in fast forward, as each quest unlocks almost immediately after the other, and you can pass time by sleeping. Which is fine by me because I can enjoy the AC gameplay but the world itself in Hokko is really generic, and the animal designs are just kind of off-putting/creepy. I'll just unwind with this game for a couple of days before moving on to something else probably. HowLongToBeat says this game is only 5 and a half hours long so they really just kind of took the bag and ran, huh.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 21, 2023

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

The 7th Guest posted:

Hokko Life
Still on the lookout for relaxing games, I gave Hokko Life a try since I got it in some Fanatical bundle at some point I think. This one is basically Animal Crossing in fast forward, as each quest unlocks almost immediately after the other, and you can pass time by sleeping. Which is fine by me because I can enjoy the AC gameplay but the world itself in Hokko is really generic, and the animal designs are just kind of off-putting/creepy. I'll just unwind with this game for a couple of days before moving on to something else probably.

It's funny how it's kind of like Animal Crossing but almost completely without charm. All the villagers look like they're about to turn into Five Nights at Freddy murder mascots at any second.

The furniture customization tools are quite impressive, but there's hardly any point to actually spend time using those.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yeah Hokko Life is nice but it does lack a certain charm. Still pretty nice that you can customise things so much and decorate your town so well. I think Dinkum is closer to what I was looking for in that area, though I wish there wasn't quite so much combat (there's not much but my preferred amount in town-buildy games like this is none).

Cloud Gardens is *lovely*. Deeply relaxing.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Anno posted:

FWIW Aaron Greenburg (Xbox marketing head) pretty flatly denied this, and Jeff did a bit of a walk back.

Hopefully he's right, I don't think anyone is rooting for publishers to take a negative view of games like Hi-Fi Rush.

But Greenburg has talked some poo poo before, and I don't think it's a surprise to see Microsoft come out strongly and quickly against anything that makes Game Pass look like a bad deal for the games themselves.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Bumhead posted:

Hopefully he's right, I don't think anyone is rooting for publishers to take a negative view of games like Hi-Fi Rush.

But Greenburg has talked some poo poo before, and I don't think it's a surprise to see Microsoft come out strongly and quickly against anything that makes Game Pass look like a bad deal for the games themselves.

I would lean towards MS being straightforward for once, there's a chance folks are making a big deal out of nothing:

Fruits of the sea posted:

I'm assuming this is bullshit and one of the quotes are taken out of context. The body of the e-mail isn't included. And the forum thread quote is somewhere in a 2 hour plus youtube video.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

The 7th Guest posted:

Time to talk about a lot of demos and stuff:

Knights of the Road: Too rough around the edges. I like the idea of Captain America-style having a shield be all of your combat/movement tech, but you bizarrely cannot throw your shield while jumping. Middle of the road music and level design.

77p: Eggwife: Trying Way Too Hard: the Game. wants to be just soooo zany random and edgy but without much in the way of actual jokes and just really bad (I'm sure it's "intentional" but w/e) level design and the guns feel terrible. It's like a 12 year old tried to create a Tom Green video game. The opening cutscene has a copy of E1M1 magazine featuring Postal2, because of course it does.

Burrowburrow: Now, this one's bizarre too, but it's much more competent. It's one of those break-a-bunch-of-tiles, craft-a-bunch-of-things games, but the animations are really fun and the art style's funky in a good way. Playing this on controller was awkward though, there were almost no button prompts and I had to just press stuff at random to figure out how to even bring up my backpack, let alone craft. Definitely needs more onboarding instructions.

Corsair's Madness
This platformer's a lot closer to decent than Knights of the Road. It's clearly inspired by Shovel Knight and easily pales in comparison to that game, but aiming that high at least means they put a priority into having decent music and level design. The double jump off the blue lanterns isn't perfect and may need a bit more forgiveness to the timing window. I like having the three green stars per level like Mario 3D World, which you can trade in to increase your hearts or special weapon points. Not a game I'd spend $20 on, but if I saw it for $5 I'd definitely go for it.

Decline's Drops
Definitely some promise to this one, a platformer with stylish combat and some pep in its step in general, and plenty of secret walls. The UI needs a lot of work, particularly on the world map, and the level design is scaled a little too large I think. But this one could turn out interesting.

Ekorella
Color me impressed with this RPG Maker offering. A unique world with interesting characters, completely original tile art, and fun battle animations. The spooky stuff doesn't work as well for me because I'm getting tired of the creepypasta aesthetic, and the illustrations feel oddly amateur compared to the rest of the game's art, but otherwise this one is pretty cool.

Fallen City Brawl
Color me UNimpressed with this brawler. Bad pixel scaling, basic move set, enemies stay on the ground for too long, lacking in interesting setpieces, the UI looks awful and is difficult to read. Really bad boss in the first level too.

Cloud Gardens
Now we're talking. This isn't a demo, I actually just grabbed it off of one of the old itchio megabundles I bought. But it was exactly the kind of relaxing building I was looking for after playing Tinytopia. The game has a campaign too, it's not just sandbox like I assumed it was. The goal is to help nature reclaim desolate dioramas by planting seeds, then placing down trash that impacts the plant growth. You have to reach 100% to complete the level, and so you have to balance the amount of disposable garbage you're placing with well placed seeds to grow over top of them. I've gone through 2 chapters so far and I really like it.

Cosmic Express
It's just this and Sokobond on my list of Draknek games to play, and this one was in that same megabundle. It's a draw-a-line puzzler where you have to pick up passengers and get them to their homes before you can leave the stage, and you have to do it all in one linear railway. What's interesting is some levels have multiple exits, which lead to different level unlocks. I'm a big fan of Draknek puzzlers, and this one is solid, though not my favorite of theirs (A Monster's Expedition, in my opinion, is masterclass design and a top 25 puzzle game).

Hokko Life
Still on the lookout for relaxing games, I gave Hokko Life a try since I got it in some Fanatical bundle at some point I think. This one is basically Animal Crossing in fast forward, as each quest unlocks almost immediately after the other, and you can pass time by sleeping. Which is fine by me because I can enjoy the AC gameplay but the world itself in Hokko is really generic, and the animal designs are just kind of off-putting/creepy. I'll just unwind with this game for a couple of days before moving on to something else probably. HowLongToBeat says this game is only 5 and a half hours long so they really just kind of took the bag and ran, huh.

I appreciate the demo impressions, this kind of stuff in the thread feels like the only way I can keep up with new stuff.

Burrowburrow looks interesting, going to wishlist it to keep track

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I also appreciate the demo review and I wish listed cloud gardens because of it.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Cloud Gardens is very chill. The sandbox mode lets you make some pretty cool stuff, although I do wish it fed you props to grow your garden like the campaign does, instead of relying on you picking through the many, many available options manually

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

Volte posted:

I've been checking out the original non-Rewind version this morning and I'm pretty sure just did this puzzle, assuming it's the first Slow puzzle and the same in Rewind: There's no healing so you need to be extremely precise with the amount of damage you take. The only thing you really control is whether you're holding the big sword that makes you slow or not (since you'll strike last if you're holding it, thus taking damage even on the killing blow). So if you kill the first enemy without picking it up first, you won't take damage. Then pick it up to kill the next two, taking unavoidable damage. Then you can hit the boss once safely, use the swap power to slow him, ditch the sword so you're not slow yourself, and safely get the killing blow.

This was the trick, for some reason I thought I had tried this but I guess not!

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Bumhead posted:

Yeah I know he’s had his moments. But this seems like such a straight forward denial about something he actually should have knowledge of that I’m inclined to believe him.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Fruits of the sea posted:

That quote just sounds like standard "Exec emails the company after a major member departs," corpo speech, I don't think you need to include the rest of it to get the idea what it includes. They're going to include perfunctory positive statements about the latest product to keep morale up, even if it's not actually doing that well

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Cloud Gardens is very chill. The sandbox mode lets you make some pretty cool stuff, although I do wish it fed you props to grow your garden like the campaign does, instead of relying on you picking through the many, many available options manually

Yeah cloud gardens is great. Kind of a less stressful version of Dorfromantik. Which is also pretty chill but not as fun in sandbox mode.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

HopperUK posted:

I think Dinkum is closer to what I was looking for in that area, though I wish there wasn't quite so much combat (there's not much but my preferred amount in town-buildy games like this is none).

you can't set a game in australia without having random wildlife attacks, it'd destroy the immersion

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

ShadowMar posted:

you can't set a game in australia without having random wildlife attacks, it'd destroy the immersion

Extremely true!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Foul Fowl posted:

the most beautiful game i played this year was made by one dev and looks like this:

Friendly thread reminder to check out the Northern Journey steam page. If you want a really unique but also appropriately janky FPS adventure game that looks like Skyrim but with a lot of spiders and strange dreamlike music, it’s a fantastic game.

It’s like $12 and you can very quickly tell if it clicks with you within 2 hour refund window so what do you have to lose?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Northern Journey is one of the most instantly captivating games I've ever played.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

never heard of that game before but instantly put that on the wishlist cause it looks like a fun adventure

thanks for the heads up

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Northern journey appreciation post.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Here's Secret Sleepover Society's archived stream of Northern Journey. It's long so just dip in and out to see the glory. It's genuinely a great achievement, a very good game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV1WnLAINpM

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Northern Journey is exactly the kind of thing I follow this thread for. It looks pretty rad (and janky in a good way) and I would have no idea that it exists otherwise.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I’ve still got like 120 demos installed to the Steam Deck so I’ll be giving demo impressions for a while.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ok, I finished the last singleplayer game I was working on so it's time to start a new game. What should I play next? Here's everything I'm looking at which isn't in early access. I know these are all pretty much interchangeable but thought I'd see if the thread recommends any of them in particular

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Pertinent is a unique treat of a game, if you like history at all.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Oy that Golden idol murder mystery game y'all need it it's a clever challenge

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Pentiment is really good, made by and for history nerds

Weedle
May 31, 2006

pentiment is really great, especially if you like disco elysium or umberto eco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Those games are all so different from each other. Pentiment, yeah, a small download and a real original. But maybe you're more in the mood for zombie action or space fights.