Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Alita owns, and I'm glad Rodriguez will direct Alita 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Where's my Edge of Tomorrow 2: Live Die Repeated

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I didn’t like Alita at all

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I didn’t like Alita at all

Dangerous words to say in these parts, but correct.

For the film. The manga ruled, up to a point.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've tried to watch the film twice and I just can't do it. Everything about it rubs me the wrong way.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bugblatter posted:

Dangerous words to say in these parts, but correct.

For the film. The manga ruled, up to a point.

I didn’t say it was bad I just didn’t vibe with it.

I wish we’d get something like grindhouse or from dusk till dawn against but alas

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

feedmyleg posted:

I've tried to watch the film twice and I just can't do it. Everything about it rubs me the wrong way.

Alita's post-apocalyptic set dressing and super clean action design wrapped up in Robert Rodriguez's directorial trappings while channeling Jimmy Cameron can be deceiving. Enjoyment of the film relies on one's tolerance for anime and YA tropes imo, so I get why people might not vibe with it. I love the movie, obviously.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I really don’t see much of RR up in there. No inline cuts or weird fade edits, snap zooms, ect.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

teagone posted:

Enjoyment of the film relies on one's tolerance for anime and YA tropes imo, so I get why people might not vibe with it.

I wish someone had added that caveat before I bought it. It definitely feels like a YA property from the late 2000s, which I've never been able to do.

e: I even got the 4K in case that would sell me, but it turns out the aesthetics are also a huge turnoff to me. Not the eyes or anything, everything just has a gross unreal plastic sheen to it. Also everyone moves in such a stage-y, theatrical manner.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 21, 2023

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

kiimo posted:

Where's my Edge of Tomorrow 2: Live Die Repeated

According to Christopher McQuarrie on Twitter a few days ago, it's never happening.

I can't find it now, because his tweets all seem to be either deleted or hidden now? But he said something about how they had an idea that was not quite a sequel or a prequel, but it never came together. And if you hear anyone say there's talk of a sequel, it's a lie, it's deader than dead.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The Alita movie is basically a YA novel adaptation (even though it isn't). A lot of the fun comes from all the other cool and important characters slowly coming to the terrifying conclusion that this is her story and not their own.

That said, it would have easily benefited from being twice as grody. Hugo in particular should have been either much more or much less scruffy.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Yeah, nothing against it but Alita was a movie I spent most of thinking “this really just isn’t for me”. Except the random Good Samaritan robot dog wrangler, I recall appreciating we know nothing about him but that he was a cool dude willing to help out with his pack of robodogs for no particular reason, and robodogs are always a positive in my book*

*fictional robodogs only, irl police dogs are bad

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

According to Christopher McQuarrie on Twitter a few days ago, it's never happening.

I can't find it now, because his tweets all seem to be either deleted or hidden now? But he said something about how they had an idea that was not quite a sequel or a prequel, but it never came together. And if you hear anyone say there's talk of a sequel, it's a lie, it's deader than dead.

Good. A sequel would only water down the concept.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The manga gets so much crazier, Last Order and Mars Chronicles are so good.

Gimme the The Expanse-level tv series of Last Order.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i liked alita

it was janky as hell plotwise and i did not care for the hot dude, but the apparent honest sincerity of the acting worked for me

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Carthag Tuek posted:

the apparent honest sincerity of the acting worked for me

That's it for me too. I have no experience with the manga. But I'd say that it wouldn't have worked for me with anyone but Rosa Salazar playing the character.

RacistsSuck
May 3, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Watched Alita with my wife and then 12 year old son, and all three of us thought it was one of the worst movies we'd seen in years. I've struggled with the apparent love for it on the forums because that style of movie is normally our jam, and god drat it was a slog to get through.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Carthag Tuek posted:

i liked alita

it was janky as hell plotwise and i did not care for the hot dude, but the apparent honest sincerity of the acting worked for me

Yeah, the movie isn't afraid to embrace the source material and is unabashedly anime as gently caress in its presentation. Christoph Waltz delivering lines using terms like "URM Berserker" and "Panzer Kunst" completely straight-faced is such a beautiful thing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

teagone posted:

Yeah, the movie isn't afraid to embrace the source material and is unabashedly anime as gently caress in its presentation. Christoph Waltz delivering lines using terms like "URM Berserker" and "Panzer Kunst" completely straight-faced is such a beautiful thing.

Totally agree. Movie is earnest as gently caress and true to the form and spirit of the manga, even if it largely sidesteps a lot of the violence.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Rodriguez is a hack and the movie was bad. I have not read the animes comic, but I checked out completely in the first act when I correctly realized she was going to have to play space basketball to save the world or whatever

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Dillbag posted:

Rodriguez is a hack and the movie was bad. I have not read the animes comic, but I checked out completely in the first act when I correctly realized she was going to have to play space basketball to save the world or whatever

there is no alita anime and the rollerball subplot in the comic happens after the events of the movie — alita uses athletics to work through her trauma

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

scary ghost dog posted:

there is no alita anime

The OVA is great, you should watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwgC_HjG1d8

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The manga character that got replaced with Grewcica is way more brutal too.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Venuz Patrol posted:

the x means they're dating

AceOfFlames posted:

The x means they're loving

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Okay now I want the franchise to go long enough so we get the Fast XXX crossover

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The xxx means there's a LOT of loving

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

AceOfFlames posted:

The xxx means there's a LOT of loving

ted cruz voice: ...family

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

live with fruit posted:

Good. A sequel would only water down the concept.

The best thing about Edge of Tomorrow is that if you want a sequel, you can just watch the movie again.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I cannot imagine three more seasons of this.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19ikl8vy4zs

I never saw the previous two, but this sure looks like a good movie to watch during a Sunday morning hangover.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That’s exactly the type of movie it is. I’m all for the Man on Fire reunion.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

With The Equalizer 2 I remember there was some surprise. Denzel doing a sequel?!

Having seen it back in the day, I can say: he should not have done the sequel. So I shall remain skeptical about this third one for now. Then again, maybe it'll feel fresher and less rote. A radical change of scenery can do wonders.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 25, 2023

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've only seen the first one and was kind of put off by the end where he becomes a slasher villain. Also kind of weird to have the movies continue while the tv show runs.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/wbpictures/status/1650937790249721856?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Here's one that's not on that arsey twitter format.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ileyFOAbvkU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hate the let’s get nuts line used again

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CelticPredator posted:

Hate the let’s get nuts line used again

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

That is an unforgivably ugly looking movie.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hiding Ezra Miller in their own movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Seems like we got the beat of the entire movie and its just not that interesting?