Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

silvy i have a 5600xt lying around you can have if you want it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

git apologist posted:

silvy i have a 5600xt lying around you can have if you want it

if youre serious I'll pay to ship assuming its not 3 figures from nz

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

pre-emptive post for when i inevitably gently caress-up gutting my PC and installing all the parts in a new case that will fit my new graphics card. god i truly loathe doing PC hardware stuff idk how some people enjoy building PCs and poo poo. whenever i go to do anything something goes wrong.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Pile Of Garbage posted:

pre-emptive post for when i inevitably gently caress-up gutting my PC and installing all the parts in a new case that will fit my new graphics card. god i truly loathe doing PC hardware stuff idk how some people enjoy building PCs and poo poo. whenever i go to do anything something goes wrong.

i just paid the premium to have a company build me one last year, i'm too old and impatient to do that poo poo myself anymore

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

trip-report: Allah has smiled upon my labours, managed to pull it off without any gently caress-ups! mashallah!

this Corsair 7000D case is super nice

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Is that how the cpu heat sink is supposed to be installed? I have mine blowing from front to back, worried I hosed up now

e: nm realized we have different noctua coolers

Jenny Agutter fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 21, 2023

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

Is that how the cpu heat sink is supposed to be installed? I have mine blowing from front to back, worried I hosed up now

e: nm realized we have different noctua coolers

actually thats a good point i may indeed have installed it wrong. i need to check what direction the fan is blowing, ideally it should be sending the hot air up and out the top of the case instead of down directly onto the gfx card lol

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Pile Of Garbage posted:

trip-report: Allah has smiled upon my labours, managed to pull it off without any gently caress-ups! mashallah!

this Corsair 7000D case is super nice

quoting for panda

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
those coolers have rotational symmetry (?) so you can install them bottom to top or front to back, its nbd

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i post on an internet forum and for the last decade or so a large proportion of the posts contain either a) images from an image host that has announced it is purging a lot of their files and b) a social network owned by a racist moron which is very quickly being run into the ground

do you think the loss of all this ‘content’ will have a corrosive effect on the forum, and ruin a lot of its history, or is it nbd

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i suppose the former is worse than waffleimages while the latter is worse than lowtax, so i'm going with nbd

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

git apologist posted:

do you think the loss of all this ‘content’ will have a corrosive effect on the forum, and ruin a lot of its history, or is it nbd

so i use pihole for house dns here and i added *.twitter.com about two months ago

cspam is completely unreadable and makes zero sense

the hellworld etc threads are nearly unreadable and the only content i get is when people quote a <just a tweet> post and say "that's hosed up, lol"

in short, yes, SA absolutely should have an alt image host and also a bot that instead of just embedding tweets, uses a headless browser to screenshot them and then posts that image instead of the inlined tweet

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

jesus WEP posted:

i just paid the premium to have a company build me one last year, i'm too old and impatient to do that poo poo myself anymore

i used to like doing it but you can make the inside very tidy and etc these days and that’s what i’d be paying for

also .. they presumably use static discharge stuff. i don’t.. what kind of lifetime damage do i do to my machine i will just never know

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

in short, yes, SA absolutely should have an alt image host and also a bot that instead of just embedding tweets, uses a headless browser to screenshot them and then posts that image instead of the inlined tweet

i'd like alt text support, too. mainly for accessibility, but also because at least (well-written) posts wouldn't be completely without context if (when) hosting disappears

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

weird thing happened to me. my mom wanted me to fix up this few-years-old hp pavilion laptop for her. I checked it out and it seems fine except it has a spinny drive in it. so i rip it out and put in a blank ssd. go to install windows 11 with a usb made with the official ms media tool, but it just shows the hp logo and the spinner for a second before rebooting. i had another usb laying around with windows 10 installer on it, that shows a half-corrupted screen but otherwise the same behavior. turned off secure boot, changed boot order for good measure, still nothing. disabled TPM, still nothing. so I put in a fedora install usb, it boots up no issue. now i'm installing fedora to just check and make sure I didn't break anything during hard drive swap, but any ideas as to why the windows installers wouldn't work? same USB stick was used for windows 10 and fedora.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
maybe you made an EFI stick and its too old for that? idk

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

yeah it’s an uefi mobo

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

it's a sign

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I’m not going to give my mom a Linux laptop, I wonder if it requires a special hp signed version of windows? I’ve never heard of anything like that but it seems possible, but I would also think disabling secure boot would invalidate that

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i have a vague memory of being able to install linux on something, but installing windows required somehow preloading some extra drivers. kind of funny that linux had better hardware support out of the box vs windows.

well, that's my windows install problem story!

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jenny Agutter posted:

I’m not going to give my mom a Linux laptop, I wonder if it requires a special hp signed version of windows? I’ve never heard of anything like that but it seems possible, but I would also think disabling secure boot would invalidate that

Yeah you did everythign I would have thought to do, short of "reset bios to all defaults" for good measure. That has a very low probability of doing anything though. I haven't had windows installs muck up like that since installing NT4 with -0x or whatever switches.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

it’s really weird, I would have not been surprised by this maybe 15 years ago but windows has gotten a lot less brittle since vista era. I’ll try installing from a dvd (!) later and see if that works

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
get one of those usb linux jobbies that installs grub and then install windows as well (maybe need to copy a working windows partition idk since the installer won't work). then use grub to load windows

e: disclaimer: no idea if this will work

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

did you try loading the boot menu and explicitly selecting the thumbdrive to boot off? that it booted off the linux one suggests usb boot should be fine but hey who knows, maybe some there's some UEFI and Windows fuckery where you need to kick it upside the head

have you tried making a win11 iso without the official tool? download a plain iso and use something like rufus, or even totally manually with diskpart and copying over the iso contents?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

windows 10 iso is too big for a DVD fml

SO DEMANDING posted:

did you try loading the boot menu and explicitly selecting the thumbdrive to boot off? that it booted off the linux one suggests usb boot should be fine but hey who knows, maybe some there's some UEFI and Windows fuckery where you need to kick it upside the head

have you tried making a win11 iso without the official tool? download a plain iso and use something like rufus, or even totally manually with diskpart and copying over the iso contents?

yes, tried using the boot menu. just tried putting the iso on a usb drive with some linux program that can make bootable windows disks, same symptom with the corrupted screen and reboot loop. completely bizarre.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

the win10 usb boots fine on my desktop. now im getting mad at hp, this situation is hosed

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
does it have usb3? maybe try one of the 2.0 ports. I used to have to do that, but I never got the symptoms your having. sounds like a graphics card might be on its way out or something. maybe blow some canned air through it to get dust out if that makes sense

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

oh yeah just trying different usb ports sometimes sorts this kind of stuff, which is infuriating, but hey

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
pxe boot if you want a homelab project

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
you could image the windows installer to a partition on the ssd, boot from that, install it to a different partition, then delete + resize the remainder

its kind of a pain in the rear end but that's what i'd do in that situation, assuming the reason you can't get it to boot is because it's from usb (and not that the installer itself is somehow incompatible)

e: maybe try to use the linux bootloader for good measure? you can add an entry to bootx64.efi on the usb drive

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 21, 2023

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

you could try booting the computer…

….. into a dumpster!!!!

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

things I’ve tried: different usb ports, booting off of a Linux multi boot usb thingy (no video corruption but still rebooted), ran the recovery partition from old hdd (don’t know how to pick a target drive but it definitely overwrote fedora, making the ssd completely unbootable). now looking into slipstreaming hp drivers into install media, assuming this old amd apu is somewhat exotic. then I’ll try a pxe server. I think last resort is get a larger ssd and just clone the old drive but I don’t want to tear this thing apart again

polyester concept posted:

you could try booting the computer…

….. into a dumpster!!!!

seriously considering it lol. from the era of cheap laptops that advertise hd+ screen! that’s actually 1600x900 :whoptc:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

got somewhere! slipstreaming hp drivers into boot.wim and install.wim got to the installation screen and install! consistently fails after the reboot at "preparing devices". maybe i'll try a different set of drivers. does windows write any logs for installation that I can check out on this pos?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
your log is a piece of poo poo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Jenny Agutter posted:

got somewhere! slipstreaming hp drivers into boot.wim and install.wim got to the installation screen and install! consistently fails after the reboot at "preparing devices". maybe i'll try a different set of drivers. does windows write any logs for installation that I can check out on this pos?

sure does https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/windows-setup-log-files-and-event-logs?view=windows-11

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Update BIOS yet?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

no, I don’t think there were any on the drivers page

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

i tried calling hp, they don't have install images for computers more than 5 years old. but it got me thinking, this would have had windows from ca. 2015 on it. so i found an iso of windows 10 1507 and put it on the usb stick, and fuckin wouldnt you know it installed successfully. i guess microsoft are the fuckups in this story

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
congratufuckinlations I can’t believe you persisted with it for this long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

has anyone encountered this issue with Plex Media Server before where it randomly pulls down blank movie posters?

it started happening recently, seems to have affected a bunch of films in my library seemingly at random. ive tried reconfiguring the metadata agents, restarting the server and clearing the plugin cache. looking at the console i can see errors like the below being logged but cant find any info on how to fix them:

code:
[Req#2668] Error resizing an image, we don't trust what we cached [/var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Cache/PhotoTranscoder/4a/4a83ab1d25f0510a04410321bae7ca4dda27f5ba.jpg]
i tried clearing that PhotoTranscoder cache folder but no luck.