Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The Fool posted:

that being said

Terrible take, I actually really enjoy the SAFe methodology and went through on a huge 18-month project before COVID and I thought it was actually legitimately good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
To each their own but uh ewww. If you’re into that sorta thing it’s an easy way to make money

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
As someone on a shared infrastructure services team I will always and forever hate agile. They are getting better about including us in PI planning discussions where needed but even so, stupid last minute poo poo happens all the time and we have to jump to make it happen.

At this point I have no loving idea who to talk to anymore about anything, they change up the value stream teams and release trains or whatever the gently caress every six months.

gently caress agile, for the next company I want one that isn’t so heavily software development focused.

I have a rule in outlook to straight up delete all emails from our agile coach.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Terrible take, I actually really enjoy the SAFe methodology and went through on a huge 18-month project before COVID and I thought it was actually legitimately good.

blink twice of you need help

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.

devmd01 posted:

As someone on a shared infrastructure services team I will always and forever hate agile. They are getting better about including us in PI planning discussions where needed but even so, stupid last minute poo poo happens all the time and we have to jump to make it happen.

At this point I have no loving idea who to talk to anymore about anything, they change up the value stream teams and release trains or whatever the gently caress every six months.

gently caress agile, for the next company I want one that isn’t so heavily software development focused.

I have a rule in outlook to straight up delete all emails from our agile coach.

The thing I hate most about "Agile" as a word is that it creates an expectation that the dev team can and should change course every time someone comes along with a new thing for them to do. This is nonsense and an agile coach worth their salt should be telling people that. It sounds like your dev team is getting this kind of bullshit dropped on them and then they turn around and throw it at you. That'd mean that the problem is, unfortunately, at least two hops away from you. Maybe that agile coach needs to step up and have a talk with management.

As for your team, repeat after me: "Your lack of planning is not my emergency." Tweak your processes so the work gets done right to your standards and capacity. Do not accept anyone trying to subvert that process or take a shortcut in the work. It's a lovely position to be in, but imo the professional thing to do here is to make sure you have standards, let everyone know you have standards and then stick to them. Of course, politics can make that difficult. Again, that agile coach should put in some work for you and convince management that reducing "spontaneous" work will lead to better results and happier employees. If it's a one-time All Hands On Deck situation, okay, but constant emergencies do not increase faith in leadership. If everything's a priority, nothing is.

If management proves intransigent on either dumping last-minute bullshit on the devs or letting you establish sensible standards for servicing their requests, then, uh, welp. Time to decide what you're willing to put up with.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

The Fool posted:

that being said

Excuse me, SAFe 6.0 just came out recently!

Our SAFe cancer started in our infrastructure directorate, the result of a new director who is incredibly bad at his job and has no idea what his directorate does. We have this constant seesaw between "business objectives are about introducing new capabilities" and "the work to maintain systems is being ignored by SAFe" which leads to absolutely stupid poo poo like business objectives that are just "we will patch the servers every month" and then the Release Train Engineer asking "why new capabilities will this feature introduce". loving idiots every last one of them.

I've read enough about SAFe to see that there is potentially some value in pieces of it. The key is you have to look at a SAFe ritual, understand what value that ritual is supposed to deliver, and most importantly, understand how that ritual delivers value. Then when you follow the ritual as written and it doesn't deliver the value the SAFe bible says it will, you know how to modify it to suit your organization. This is a problem with all frameworks, but there's something about SAFe that makes it particularly bad. The framework becomes the goal, rather than a tool to deliver on your actual goal. That's easy, because it doesn't require any understanding. You just need to rote repeat the rituals, and then divinely, good things will happen. It really does feel like a religion, where it's all faith based. Nobody in charge understands how anything works, they just think that if they do the incantations the proper way, as written in the book, that good things will happen. SAFe is actually fine, it's just catnip to leaders who aren't capable of higher level thinking, because it looks like if you just SAFe hard enough that your org will be succesful.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

FISHMANPET posted:

Nobody in charge understands how anything works, they just think that if they do the incantations the proper way, as written in the book, that good things will happen. SAFe is actually fine, it's just catnip to leaders who aren't capable of higher level thinking, because it looks like if you just SAFe hard enough that your org will be succesful.
This is the dirty secret behind pretty much every framework that exists, be it Agile, SAFe, ITIL, or niche poo poo like the SANS Incident Response Framework. Someone up high can look at a chart and pretend they understand the complexities of day-to-day running by pointing at it and going "we are here". None of them are a substitute for actually being able to identify goals and work out how to achieve them, which is why that work flows downhill.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

FISHMANPET posted:

the Release Train Engineer asking "why new capabilities will this feature introduce". loving idiots every last one of them.

This enhances our security guarantee and provides us the capability to laugh at other dumb nerds who didn't patch their systems when a 9.8 CvE for our server software comes out. Alternatively just copy/paste the release notes for the update any time he asks dumb stuff.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Patching is not agile. I simply deploy new servers with the updates on them and recreate them when they’ve been owned. Very agile

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

i am a moron posted:

Patching is not agile. I simply deploy new servers with the updates on them and recreate them when they’ve been owned. Very agile
I have been told with a straight face that this is what Docker is for.

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
"Maintenance" is a tricky concept for many frameworks. I can't claim to know anywhere close to all of them, but the impression I get from the ones I do know is that they tend to focus on building new stuff from scratch. This is particularly nasty in terms of "spring goals" that want to focus in on the whole team Delivering Value (tm), but ime you can't plan a sprint that way. Or, put another way, you need to figure out a way to use maybe half your capacity on the nominal sprint goal, another 30% on maintenance / refactoring / Making Our Lives Easier stuff and save the remaining 20% for the inevitable last minute problems. If your product owner gets that, it can work. If they don't, you're gonna have a bad time.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If I have some stupid mandated training due by the end of the month, don't have your VP declare that everyone needs to have it done by the 24th because he wants to have his team get it done 'early' and then his loving director declares it has to be done by today for the same reason.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Haha sounds like you enlisted. Formation is at 630. 1SG says be there at 615. Platoon sgt says be there at 6. You keep going until you show up the night before, your entire existence a Kafka-esque sequence of milling around in a parking lot before you stand in line so someone can yell at you about filling out travel packets or warn you of the dangers of grilling on the 4th of July in the dead of winter

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
A few years back my at my last job they tried to implement Agile. In practice the only thing that changed was that now the weekly team meeting was called the scrum. Nothing else changed.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

i am a moron posted:

Haha sounds like you enlisted. Formation is at 630. 1SG says be there at 615. Platoon sgt says be there at 6. You keep going until you show up the night before, your entire existence a Kafka-esque sequence of milling around in a parking lot before you stand in line so someone can yell at you about filling out travel packets or warn you of the dangers of grilling on the 4th of July in the dead of winter

I did it like 20 minutes after that email came in. Then at 8PM that night, he emailed me and my boss asking why it wasn't done yet. :suicide:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Bargearse posted:

A few years back my at my last job they tried to implement Agile. In practice the only thing that changed was that now the weekly team meeting was called the scrum. Nothing else changed.

loving this.

A while back I took a look at a process that we do and realized, “we really suck at this.” I created a training to get people in my role to tackle that process from a strategic perspective rather than a tactical one. Think “we will take a step back and look at what the customer’s goals are and work to enable those goals with them” rather than “did you know that last month you opened 45 support cases”?

We renamed this process, putting “strategic” in the title to remind people to think bigger when helping their customers.

Stupid me.

Sure, we have had hundreds of people go through the training and implement their learnings in the new process.

But we also have managers nodding sagely when I tell them how they can best support their directs with this new process and whose takeaway was simply “okay, gang. It’s now called Strategic [process] instead of [process]” and put themselves up for promotion.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

KillHour posted:

I did it like 20 minutes after that email came in. Then at 8PM that night, he emailed me and my boss asking why it wasn't done yet. :suicide:
I love it when the training just doesn't register as complete for no perceptable reason. I once has that happen where the I was the only person in the entire country who hadn't finished a training and it went four levels above me to where the national manager came to ask why I hadn't done it. I made him sit down and watch me doing it again to prove that his poo poo was hosed and then I got an email the next day from the site manager asking why it wasn't done... :negative:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

I love it when the training just doesn't register as complete for no perceptable reason. I once has that happen where the I was the only person in the entire country who hadn't finished a training and it went four levels above me to where the national manager came to ask why I hadn't done it. I made him sit down and watch me doing it again to prove that his poo poo was hosed and then I got an email the next day from the site manager asking why it wasn't done... :negative:

Mine is definitely showing as done and isn't even in my LMS list anymore :shrug:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

People pissing me off: manager comes over on a Friday before my vacation starts, at 16:50, telling me to look into a production-stopping bug that needs fixing. I tell them twice that I don't have enough time to troubleshoot it, let alone push a fix.

They wave me off saying they really have to concentrate on this flowchart they're making. I troubleshoot the bug with a colleague of theirs instead, verifying that yes, this bug exists. I update the steps-to-reproduce with the correct ones and loving dump it back into the queue, because I'm going on vacation and I just missed my train thanks to this nonsense.

:argh:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm not an email config expert but doesn't M365 have a setting that prevents 'REPLY ALL' for some distribution lists?

Just had a guy 'reply all' to ask an inane question to 33,000 people.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Hughmoris posted:

I'm not an email config expert but doesn't M365 have a setting that prevents 'REPLY ALL' for some distribution lists?

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/exchange-team-blog/new-reply-all-storm-protection-report-settings-ui-and-alert/ba-p/3292465
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/exchange-team-blog/reply-all-storm-protection-customizable-settings/ba-p/2328371
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/exchange-team-blog/reply-all-storm-protection-in-exchange-online/ba-p/1369811

Toggle is off by default on tenants created before 2021.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Pissing me off: Slack surprise-rolled out private message forwarding, both for DMs and private channels, with no way to disable it.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Figured as much. :wom:

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Hughmoris posted:

Just lol at anyone who makes a large distro and doesn't restrict who can email to it.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Silly Newbie posted:

Just lol at anyone who makes a large distro and doesn't restrict who can email to it.

:emptyquote:

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime
How do you guys deal with people who can't be bothered to raise issues with you?

Had 3 recently from the usual suspects that have really pissed me off:

1. Workshop manager had his laptop disconnect from the network. Instead of calling me, he spoke to another manager in the department he was hot-desking at, who proceeded to take apart the docking station AND the terminal on the next desk for some reason. He couldn't sort the issue, so left 2 unassembled workspaces in a big pile, and the workshop manager ended up tethering off his phone and connecting via the VPN.
I came in the following day and sorted the issue instantly (after putting the 2 workspaces back together. The issue? The network port on the wall was damaged due to the desk being pushed against it. I wiggled the cable and it came back online.

2. A user moved departments and wanted to have that department's printer added to her profile. Instead of calling me, she spoke to her new line manager who tried to do it himself. He couldn't sort the issue, so just had her walk to the other side of the building to her previous department's printer for the 6 months she worked there. He had another member of staff transfer to his department on Friday and actually bothered to call me. I sorted the issue instantly (Moved the user to the new department in AD so the printer GPO applied).

3. A service engineer had an issue with his printer. Instead of calling me, he spoke to his manager who had a look at it himself. He couldn't figure out why the tablet couldn't see the printer bluetooth connection so he just gave up and left the engineer write out his paperwork by hand for several weeks. I happened to bump into the engineer in a supermarket carpark last week where he mentioned the issue. I fixed it instantly (the bluetooth module on the printer had fallen out).

It seems to be the same 3 members of staff that do this. I've raised it with the Directors but they just don't seem to give a gently caress. I've been going through some health issues these past few years and am trying to minimise stress, but these 3 idiots seem to be the cause of ALL of my stress at work. I feel like I'm one more issue away from just snapping and having a massive go at them.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Why are they getting to a point where they are able to cause you stress? This type of stuff is always going to happen, the important thing is that it shouldn't become your problem until you are told about it. To put that into practise requires a ticketing system with a policy covering the acceptable channels for submitting requests, and someone above you who cares to keep that enforced.

Your line manager should be shielding you from complaints about problems that you haven't been told about, that's their job.

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime
We have a ticketing system and it is used for the most part. It just seems to be these 3 members of staff that try to "have a go" at fixing things themselves.
They don't cause any damage (as they do not have any additional permissions above a standard user) but it quite often makes more work for me if I have to recable whatever they have moved/taken apart without asking.

I answer straight to the Directors at my company, so there isn't anyone above me apart from them that I can go to. Every time I raise it with them they just try to find excuses for the user behaviour. I've spoken to the users directly too and asked them to stop and they are apologetic so I know it isn't done out of malice.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm not really sure there's anything you can do. I appreciate it's frustrating but your efforts need to go into not caring about it, which I get is difficult because I used to be the same. If these systems being offline and nobody telling you isn't impacting your performance reviews because there's no evidence that you've even been asked for help yet then it needs to join the big category of "things you can do nothing about".

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

“Oh what’s this, you’re having issues with business technology? Did you submit a ticket?”
“No”
“Oh well once there’s a ticket I can take a look”

It literally should not exist in your list of things that bother you until there’s a ticket. Once there’s a ticket you can do what you need to do.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's a frequent and never-ending problem. The times where I've seen it at its worse is when the helpdesk is slow, useless, etc. When I have been able to fix the problem at places I've been at, it took years of building trust and making sure people were helped quickly and easily. It's annoying and takes a lot of work, especially when the response you want to have is make people who are always in a rush, waiting until the last minute, etc., wait longer because it can feel like not making them wait encourages bad behavior.

[edit: As far as tickets go, I agree you want them to always have one. The way I handled it was that I'd open it for them the first handful of times, explaining to them why it's important, and then over time hopefully they'll see its a team effort. If not, just get more militant with it and stop helping them if they haven't created a ticket first. Assuming leadership backs you up on that. There's a decent chance they'll just tell you opening a ticket on behalf of users is part of your job.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 23, 2023

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The thing where in all 3 situations, the user talked to their manager instead of IT tells me there's some larger cultural issue at play. It's not just these 3 users that don't want to go through IT, it's these 3 managers who are training their employees to not go through IT. That's the problem, and it's even more above your pay grade than 3 employees that don't want to go through IT. Culture change at an organizational level is hard. If your IT leadership isn't going to identify it as a problem and try to solve it, there's nothing you can do as merely a staff member.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Migrating an 8 year old Cisco ASA to a new Palo Alto on a critical network over the weekend might lead to some issues. Who knew.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Internet Explorer posted:

[edit: As far as tickets go, I agree you want them to always have one. The way I handled it was that I'd open it for them the first handful of times, explaining to them why it's important, and then over time hopefully they'll see its a team effort. If not, just get more militant with it and stop helping them if they haven't created a ticket first. Assuming leadership backs you up on that. There's a decent chance they'll just tell you opening a ticket on behalf of users is part of your job.]

Requiring a ticket c n also be a great labor-saving technique. I frequently get lab managers coming to me with an idea, we talk it over, hash out requirements and basically define a small project. Then I ask them to put in a ticket so we can schedule the work. Easily half the time I never hear about it again and I can get back to the forums in peace.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

FISHMANPET posted:

The thing where in all 3 situations, the user talked to their manager instead of IT tells me there's some larger cultural issue at play. It's not just these 3 users that don't want to go through IT, it's these 3 managers who are training their employees to not go through IT. That's the problem, and it's even more above your pay grade than 3 employees that don't want to go through IT. Culture change at an organizational level is hard. If your IT leadership isn't going to identify it as a problem and try to solve it, there's nothing you can do as merely a staff member.
Solid RCA here.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Arquinsiel posted:

Solid RCA here.

Please file this as an internal note to ticket #69420 for future reference

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's the one in the round file, yeah?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Silly Newbie posted:

CEO of my company: "these reply-alls are good for our culture!"

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Whipstickagostop posted:

How do you guys deal with people who can't be bothered to raise issues with you?

Had 3 recently from the usual suspects that have really pissed me off:

1. Workshop manager had his laptop disconnect from the network. Instead of calling me, he spoke to another manager in the department he was hot-desking at, who proceeded to take apart the docking station AND the terminal on the next desk for some reason. He couldn't sort the issue, so left 2 unassembled workspaces in a big pile, and the workshop manager ended up tethering off his phone and connecting via the VPN.
I came in the following day and sorted the issue instantly (after putting the 2 workspaces back together. The issue? The network port on the wall was damaged due to the desk being pushed against it. I wiggled the cable and it came back online.

2. A user moved departments and wanted to have that department's printer added to her profile. Instead of calling me, she spoke to her new line manager who tried to do it himself. He couldn't sort the issue, so just had her walk to the other side of the building to her previous department's printer for the 6 months she worked there. He had another member of staff transfer to his department on Friday and actually bothered to call me. I sorted the issue instantly (Moved the user to the new department in AD so the printer GPO applied).

3. A service engineer had an issue with his printer. Instead of calling me, he spoke to his manager who had a look at it himself. He couldn't figure out why the tablet couldn't see the printer bluetooth connection so he just gave up and left the engineer write out his paperwork by hand for several weeks. I happened to bump into the engineer in a supermarket carpark last week where he mentioned the issue. I fixed it instantly (the bluetooth module on the printer had fallen out).

It seems to be the same 3 members of staff that do this. I've raised it with the Directors but they just don't seem to give a gently caress. I've been going through some health issues these past few years and am trying to minimise stress, but these 3 idiots seem to be the cause of ALL of my stress at work. I feel like I'm one more issue away from just snapping and having a massive go at them.

Congratulations, you have users.

The cure is to get away from service desking, and into sysadmining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

the cure is to never work in IT again, tbh