Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Nothus posted:

That's code for "no poor people and other minorities that make me uncomfortable"

I think the post is sarcastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

marchantia posted:

We live on a bus route in a midsized midwestern city which I feel like is the best of both worlds but I have a feeling this thread may disagree :shrug:

I live in the suburbs outside a major city and I feel like it suits me well. Your situation sounds pretty good, probably cheaper, too

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

last night I learned that Cook county, which encompasses Chicago, provides tax breaks for people who own commercial rental property… if it’s empty. very cool.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

More like Cuck County

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Paradoxish posted:

The internet constantly reminds me that relatively dense east coast suburbs are an oddity because I can't think of anywhere in this area where most of the bigger bars, restaurants, and grocery stores aren't open until at least midnight, if not well into the morning. Like the thought of not being able to order pizza for delivery at 1am is super weird, and I've never lived anywhere that I'd classify as a real city.

it blows people's minds that there are suburban towns on long island with higher population densities than every major city other than nyc itself and san francisco

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/markets/status/1649414042031738891?s=20

quote:

Even Austin’s well-off can find themselves caught up in a world where builders keep upping the stakes. Young’s customer at the Hanover was Enrique Mendez, the founder of a staffing agency. He lives in a $4,000-a-month apartment in the Quincy, which was considered top-of-the-line when he became one of its first tenants in October 2021.
Still, his king-size bed barely fits in his bedroom, and the Waterline tower is rising outside his window. Ultimately, that building will be 74 floors, marring his lovely view of the city, as the construction cranes already do. Cement trucks, jackhammers and nail guns wake him at 6 a.m. Although he expected some construction, he says, “I didn’t know it was going to be the biggest tower in Texas.”
Mendez wants to escape, and he’s considering an apartment that costs $5,800 a month, 45% more than what he’s paying now. But on a lark, he’s looking at the three-bedroom penthouse. He can’t afford it. The monthly rent: $18,558.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
I got an opportunity to move to Montreal at the end of the year. It seems like the only city in Canada that is an actual city and remotely affordable. I've been looking rents and they are fully half what rents are in most of BC and there's a lot more options for families.

Honestly feels like it would be worth it to brave the winters and learn French just for the housing/lifestyle alone.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

More like Cuck County

:dawkins101:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Montreal is one of the best NA cities for sure. I hope you know French

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
We liked Montreal so much that we spent a year learning French just so we could go back for a much longer trip. We go like every 1-2 years now. It's great and we'd move there in a heartbeat if we could.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

jpmeyer posted:

it blows people's minds that there are suburban towns on long island with higher population densities than every major city other than nyc itself and san francisco

Long Island is not a place of honor... no highly esteemed deed is commemorated there... nothing valued is there.

What is there is dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.

Apr 7, 2003

a guy on local social media here told me that this is a good thing because every $800K condo frees up a $300K house for someone poorer to buy, but neglected to mention that A> $300K is already unaffordable for the median family around here and that's what a 100 year old rowhouse costs now, and B> all those cheaper properties are being bought up by investors to rent out.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

jpmeyer posted:

more assholes packed closer together than anywhere outside of a hot dog factory

Apr 7, 2003

it really does seem like they're just trying to normalize paying 40%+ of your net pay towards housing no matter where you live

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

a guy on local social media here told me that this is a good thing because every $800K condo frees up a $300K house for someone poorer to buy, but neglected to mention that A> $300K is already unaffordable for the median family around here and that's what a 100 year old rowhouse costs now, and B> all those cheaper properties are being bought up by investors to rent out.

The other thing is that people who can afford the $800k condo might look at the $300k row house and decide it’s fine and be willing to pay $400k putting it well out of reach of that hypothetical lower income buyer

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Austin is great in that it is like Berlin, it attracts the worst transplants and concentrates them in one place. A lot of people living off their parents largesse, while they try to make it as an electronic/goth musician. lol!

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

WaryWarren posted:

Austin is great in that it is like Berlin, it attracts the worst transplants and concentrates them in one place. A lot of people living off their parents largesse, while they try to make it as an electronic/goth musician. lol!

Afaict it’s just worse LA without the benefit of being much cheaper than LA

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

gently caress his 4000/mo view

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

it really does seem like they're just trying to normalize paying 40%+ of your net pay towards housing no matter where you live

There's zero downside from the perspective of investors, developers, and landlords. Do you have "extra" money at the end of the month? Then you can afford more for housing.

People are going to cut everything else first, so affordable housing actually just means leaving money on the table.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

anyone know how much it cost per unit to build those giant public housing developments in Vienna? just as a comparison to this 600k/unit here stated in the article

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

euphronius posted:

Montreal is one of the best NA cities for sure. I hope you know French

I don't speak a word of French but the government will put us through full time or part time french lessons because we were not born in Canada and given the difference in housing costs my partner will be able to quit her job and focus on learning French for a year or two.

It seems like the language barrier and bitter cold is only part of the reason housing is inexpensive. The multitude of 4-8 plexus and undivided apartment ownership model seems less ideal for speculation and the renter protection seems to be a lot stronger than in BC.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Jenny Agutter posted:

last night I learned that Cook county, which encompasses Chicago, provides tax breaks for people who own commercial rental property… if it’s empty. very cool.

I've seen property taxes for multi-unit buildings the same as or lower than for single-family houses. Like, total taxes, not per-unit.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

something about denver was just posted somewhere saying 23,000 empty “luxury” apartments

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I don't speak a word of French but the government will put us through full time or part time french lessons because we were not born in Canada and given the difference in housing costs my partner will be able to quit her job and focus on learning French for a year or two.

It seems like the language barrier and bitter cold is only part of the reason housing is inexpensive. The multitude of 4-8 plexus and undivided apartment ownership model seems less ideal for speculation and the renter protection seems to be a lot stronger than in BC.

Montreal is the best city in North America and we’d emigrate to Quebec in a hot second if my ironically French-Canadian backgroundish wife had the time to learn French to a professional level to continue work in her public sector profession over there

as a computer toucher, I’m allowed to be dumb and close to monolingual :agesilaus:

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
im thinking about living in a van.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
moving on up: I got gas lines but no gas meter

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

RadiRoot posted:

Look at mister fancy pants here with a van! I'll bet it still has all the windows AND a working head gasket, you ritzy gently caress.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

RadiRoot posted:

make sure you have 50k ready to renovate that van and make an IG video about how easy it all is :)

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Willa Rogers posted:

I've seen property taxes for multi-unit buildings the same as or lower than for single-family houses. Like, total taxes, not per-unit.

you mean vacant buildings?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

RadiRoot posted:

Where I live we passed an ordinance (only enforced in certain neighborhoods) essentially banning commercial vehicles from street parking, to target people like you specifically

yes I do have a 20 year old van I park in front of the house with valid tags that keeps getting 72 hour tow notices every time the city comes through at the request of my lovely boomer neighbor, why do you ask?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Jenny Agutter posted:

you mean vacant buildings?

No; fully occupied. Like a 14-unit building having lower property taxes than a SFH.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Where I live we passed an ordinance (only enforced in certain neighborhoods) essentially banning commercial vehicles from street parking, to target people like you specifically

yes I do have a 20 year old van I park in front of the house with valid tags that keeps getting 72 hour tow notices every time the city comes through at the request of my lovely boomer neighbor, why do you ask?

Here it's the zoomer alderman who tried to ban trucks from the wholesale greenhouse in his ward, until the city attorney pointed out that the city would be responsible for the loss in business revenue that resulted.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

edit:

https://www.denverpost.com/2023/04/21/elephant-rock-mobile-home-park-water-violations-palmer-lake/

quote:

PALMER LAKE — Donald Simmons doesn’t want cancer.

He and his wife have been living in the Elephant Rock Mobile Home Park, just outside downtown Monument, for the past 13 years because it’s the cheapest option in town.

And for the last five of them, their tap water has been contaminated with elevated levels of radium, a naturally occurring radioactive metal that can be carcinogenic.

Simmons won’t drink it, but his wife does. And it makes him nervous.

“What’s it gonna do to our bodies?” he asked Tuesday as he sat next to his neighbor’s porch, a drill in hand. “What is this going to do to us in the long term?”

The state is well aware of Elephant Rock and its tainted water. But Colorado’s top water regulators say they’ve never been in a situation like this.

Since early 2019, officials with the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment have cited the park owner, Kim Lucky Oliver, repeatedly for refusing to comply with state water regulations and failing to inform park residents of the radium issues.

The state’s attorney general sued Oliver in August, seeking to compel the park owner to follow the law. An El Paso County judge in February found him in contempt and assessed $70,000 in fines. In a letter last month, the attorney general’s office told him it planned to seek a warrant for his arrest.

Oliver, though, has ignored all communications and failed to clean up the water. Meanwhile, residents say the owner has been absentee — failing to even collect rent, pick up trash or plow their streets during the winter. The water system is so flawed, homeowners say, that it has to be shut off weekly in order to avoid catastrophe.

A Bakers Cousin has issued a correction as of 00:05 on Apr 24, 2023

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/CNBCMakeIt/status/1650077057882398722?s=20

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

kitchen shower what a great idea

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

did anyone look inside ?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

yeah it looks snug I would definitely be okay in there by myself

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

"I spent $150,000 to build it"

lol wot?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
yeah I mean if you build a custom camper for 200 grand it better be a good place for you to live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

mystery solved:

quote:

Overall, it cost me around $175,000 to build the home, which included the prefabricated shell structure, labor and material costs.

To pay for everything, I used the $85,000 I got from the sale of my home (my husband and I split the profits) and a $90,000 loan from a close friend.

I pay $725 a month in housing costs, which covers a parking space (in the backyard of someone’s home, which I found through a local Facebook group), internet, water and electricity.