Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mantle posted:

I can't find his thread, but these are some changes in the style of resume goon guy Parahexasomething? I recommend working with him to polish it off but this is the kind of thing he is good at.

hmm, this makes me concerned i'm not communicating some things clearly since these suggestions aren't quite true to what i've done. i'm a bit concerned if i'm that terse, i'll come across as having done more than i can back up in an interview.

i'll check him out. i get some resume reviewing through a part of my severance, so i'll send my current draft through that, compare all this, and then hit him up. the edited resumes are getting mixed reviews from teammates getting theirs back, but one of the complaints was "they abridged too much of my roles 10 years ago" so maybe it could be decent

thanks everyone, this is a huge help, i went from staring at a blank page for days to a draft i'm pretty confident in in just a few hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

yeah echoing Never say you Helped or Assisted with something. you just did it. when it gets asked about during your interview then you get to talk about teamwork

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

yeah echoing Never say you Helped or Assisted with something. you just did it. when it gets asked about during your interview then you get to talk about teamwork

while good advice, you also need to make sure you are capable of talking about the thing when asked about it in the interview

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

The Fool posted:

while good advice, you also need to make sure you are capable of talking about the thing when asked about it in the interview

oh for sure, i just initially was entirely truthful and put assisted any time i didn't do everything myself. the current draft i got rid of all uses of those except for the final mention of client support as a new hire because i didn't ever do more than help someone else with cases and it hopefully shows progression into my next promo where i did do them on my own, then the promo after that where i was effectively support lead

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
part of the problem i have is that when i ask myself "why do i want this job?" the answer is "i don't", and similarly when asking myself "why should they hire me?" i think "they should not"

i don't know how to get over this and it's seriously affecting my writing abilities. i was using modified LLM output for a lot of cover letters and whatnot but i feel like not hitting upon any success might be proving that to be a bad idea

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i would recommend applying for jobs that you do want

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

everything counts. if you just have an associates degree throw it on there too

can put down that we are friend s

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

part of the problem i have is that when i ask myself "why do i want this job?" the answer is "i don't", and similarly when asking myself "why should they hire me?" i think "they should not"

i don't know how to get over this and it's seriously affecting my writing abilities. i was using modified LLM output for a lot of cover letters and whatnot but i feel like not hitting upon any success might be proving that to be a bad idea

just think in terms of desperation like i need the money to send to kiwis in need

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Jabor posted:

i would recommend applying for jobs that you do want

i don't think that's realistic in this economy

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

love answering the leetcode and writings tests for it and then getting passed on. just a fantastic system we have here.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

KidDynamite posted:

love answering the leetcode and writings tests for it and then getting passed on. just a fantastic system we have here.

the more effort/bullshit you have to do in the selection process, the more likely the company will simply ghost you with no feedback.

learned that from that one year I couldn't find a job, I have a github repo full of coding projects companies asked me to do.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

during my last search, i came upon two companies that required you to take an AWS and Azure questionnaire of 40+ prior to even getting a first interview and i caught myself thinking, "are you sure you're not just farming answers for your existing staff?"

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

KidDynamite posted:

mononcqc's template has gotten compliments.

can someone link this

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

AnimeIsTrash posted:

can someone link this

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845966&userid=117596&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post490472500

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

:tipshat:

also lmfao i was wondering where i got my resume template from

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

ok next question: outgoing total comp for me was 150k (all salary, no bonus or rsus although i did get some late last year to the tune of 15k vesting per year which i won't see a dime of) for 8 years experience at a senior-equivalent band level. trying to figure out a guess as to what my outlook might be in this market, assuming i don't end up in california, seattle, or new york. not really sure levels.fyi is going to give an accurate picture given i'm looking in a recession

carry on then fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 21, 2023

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if you explicitly say "the tool that tells me the expected salary may not be trusted", it's gonna be hard. this means you have to get offers and compare them.

as always, compare to your batna, not levels.fyi or this thread or anything else. if you think your first job lowballed you and you can't negotiate the offer up, keep looking and bounce to one that doesn't lowball you. you don't have to put it on your resume if you dont want

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

here's levels.fyi for minnesota, in the past month (which was also in a recession): https://www.levels.fyi/t/software-engineer/levels/senior/locations/minnesota-usa?sinceDate=month

go gently caress with the filters and see what you can see imo

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

there's an apply link for a backend engineer for 'high touch', whatever that is. comp is 170-220. carry on then, you must apply to that job before the end of the day. that is your task. i do not want to hear why it's no use, or why you won't get the job, or why you aren't qualified, or anything else like that. submit your resume and, if there's a spot for it, a cover letter by sundown.

if you do not do it, there will be severe consequences*

* i will be annoyed at you and probably give you poo poo about it

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Achmed Jones posted:

there's an apply link for a backend engineer for 'high touch', whatever that is. comp is 170-220. carry on then, you must apply to that job before the end of the day. that is your task. i do not want to hear why it's no use, or why you won't get the job, or why you aren't qualified, or anything else like that. submit your resume and, if there's a spot for it, a cover letter by sundown.

This post will self destruct in five seconds.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Achmed Jones posted:

if you do not do it, there will be severe consequences*

* i will be annoyed at you and probably give you poo poo about it

just to be clear, you want me to apply to a senior-level position at a series b startup primarily working in typescript and go and focusing heavily on databases, monitoring, and big data, none of which i have any background in whatsoever?

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Did he stutter?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

carry on then posted:

just to be clear, you want me to apply to a senior-level position at a series b startup primarily working in typescript and go and focusing heavily on databases, monitoring, and big data, none of which i have any background in whatsoever?

well yeah but he also said you can't say that

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

carry on then posted:

yes, and they specifically told you to not make this post, too

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

carry on then posted:

Achmed Jones posted:

i do not want to hear why it's no use, or why you won't get the job, or why you aren't qualified, or anything else like that. submit your resume and, if there's a spot for it, a cover letter by sundown.

the job posting posted:

We are a quickly expanding team and believe in diverse backgrounds. We care less about "years of experience" and more about the impact you are able to make.

Even if your experience does not line up perfectly, we are still excited to have you apply. The best hires do not always check off every box of a job description.

god loving dammit. look at this shame you've brought upon yourself. apply for the job.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

there's not lining up perfectly, and then there's a venn diagram that's just two circles. i am literally staring at the application page now. it is asking me "Why do you think you're a great fit for this role?" i'm not a good fit for this role!!! it's a senior role at a fast-paced startup--concrete contributions are expected day 1, but i would need a year to learn all these concepts and languages and environments. and this isn't just me saying oh they'll for sure ignore me. what does it say about them if they actually hire me, given go and database expertise isn't exactly hard to come by?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i applied to a tvos role yesterday i've never done tvos in my life. send it!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

jesus christ you're difficult. read the ad, there's lots of poo poo that you can use. gently caress i've never met somebody that embodies the goon in the well so perfectly

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

carry on then posted:

there's not lining up perfectly, and then there's a venn diagram that's just two circles. i am literally staring at the application page now. it is asking me "Why do you think you're a great fit for this role?" i'm not a good fit for this role!!! it's a senior role at a fast-paced startup--concrete contributions are expected day 1, but i would need a year to learn all these concepts and languages and environments. and this isn't just me saying oh they'll for sure ignore me. what does it say about them if they actually hire me, given go and database expertise isn't exactly hard to come by?

do not post again in this thread before applying to the job

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
bro

quote:

Even if your experience does not line up perfectly, we are still excited to have you apply. The best hires do not always check off every box of a job description.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've never seen someone get cyberbullied into applying to a job before, this is wild

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i mean, shoot

i don't even have a resume and my experience is cobol, pl/sql, and losing my mind; i'm thinking about applying lol

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I'm going to apply and get that job and then not bother to show up, as a troll

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

qirex posted:

I've never seen someone get cyberbullied into applying to a job before, this is wild

boomer poster telling you to go send your resume via email early every morning until they grant you an interview because you're a hard worker

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
just open a telnet connection and give their webserver a firm TCP handshake and say "i'm ready to work, sir"

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I've got a round two interview (of three I think, plus a small take-home thing at some point) on Monday and I'm stoked, bit of a dream job. I'm incredibly qualified so if they don't hire me they're stupid and wrong

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Fortaleza posted:

I've got a round two interview (of three I think, plus a small take-home thing at some point) on Monday and I'm stoked, bit of a dream job. I'm incredibly qualified so if they don't hire me they're stupid and wrong

interviewing: if they don't hire me they're stupid and wrong

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

AnoHito posted:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

AnoHito posted:

so many stupid and wrong companies not paying me 400k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU