Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Okay maybe it's more like 20-30 meters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

ikanreed posted:

This kind of narrow thinking is why you don't have $8

goddamn this check mark poo poo is funny. it's a bunch of people telling on themselves that they never understood why being verified ever mattered at all. not the least of which is elon musk Genius CEO and tech Wunderkind who is in his fifties

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
Maybe these celeb’s personal assistants should point out how far down the line twitter is when it comes to popularity and stick to Facebook and Instagram instead.

Same for news orgs too, they all should ditch twitter and focus on where the vast majority of people are instead of giving money to Elon and sharing verification with nazis.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
lmao that's so loving nuts.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
they hosed up something people have had a handle on for like what, better part of a century now? "well the explosion we're making is gonna drive the rocket UP, so all this stuff on the ground will be fine probably"

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

19 o'clock posted:

goddamn this check mark poo poo is funny. it's a bunch of people telling on themselves that they never understood why being verified ever mattered at all. not the least of which is elon musk Genius CEO and tech Wunderkind who is in his fifties
I'm curious how Elon was legacy verified in the first place. I bet he actually paid someone

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Poco posted:

I can't wait for the day a load bearing MacBook dies and breaks the whole website.

It won't die. Musk will just unplug it and trash it when he has a feud with Apple.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

they hosed up something people have had a handle on for like what, better part of a century now? "well the explosion we're making is gonna drive the rocket UP, so all this stuff on the ground will be fine probably"

they thought the thrust would divert horizontally after hitting the pad.

which it did. by destroying the pad.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

this is the thread where you watch tucker and defend ted cruz and bari weiss endlessly but to own the libs/cia/fbi/homeland

inevitably this winds up like, back in ye olden times, the second life goons that used to go to the furry sex/roleplay cubs to have furry cybersex ironically and for trolling purposes but somehow wound up having lots of nonironic orgasms

good for him

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

It's just first principles. How do you really know if something we've always done has any actual concrete science behind it or if it's just traditional and it's the wrong way to do?

Thankfully we gained lots of data from this and we will be able to make process moving on forward.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

mdemone posted:

that's useful data

e: beaten

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

maybe some day they'll invent reusable rocket launch pads

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Elon Musk is somewhere right now trying to pitch a trampoline-based launch pad and an engineer is just spinning the cylinder in his desk revolver

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
How much is it to rebuild all that lol

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

we need a new launchpad, I'll go tweet about the dog

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Elon is the only person brave enough to break away from the chains of the past and attempt to reinvent the wheel. Why stick to the old same shape when there could be a better shape out there? Nobody even wants to try!

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/jdan/status/1649466728542347266?s=20

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

I'd like to believe that's real but lmao at the last line

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Uhm but are you single??

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

what's that little bit at the bottom

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

DrPossum posted:

I'd like to believe that's real but lmao at the last line

the last line is what makes it!

also lol
https://twitter.com/patkiernan/status/1649445388418514944?s=20

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Dr. VooDoo posted:

*Standing in front of a Nazi firing squad* Well at least I never infringed on their free speech saying my entire race should be purged from the face of the planet. That would have been worse

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

It's real

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

DesertIslandHermit posted:

How much is it to rebuild all that lol

it would honestly probably be easier to build a whole new one, with a flame trench even

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

you get what you deserve when you give money to elln

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Raskolnikov38 posted:

it would honestly probably be easier to build a whole new one, with a flame trench even

Last I checked, their solution that they were gonna try for the next time is to make the launch mount higher

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

after decades of articles about how rich people are rich because they don't spend money on stuff like coffee or netflix??

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
"we will be rebuilding our launch platform to feature a large lever which pivots on a fulcrum, or see-saw, which will launch the rocket upward when we drop a large rock on the opposite end of the lever - or see-saw."

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

NeonPunk posted:

Last I checked, their solution that they were gonna try for the next time is to make the launch mount higher

no no dig up stupid!

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Launching the rocket with a giant slingshot and let the engines do the rest.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

joke tweets can be real if you just want them to be and don't read the last line in the fake text exchanges

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

mdemone posted:

if i think about the scale of resources that went into this extremely expensive firework i start getting heated but at the same time i feel like, were i in any position that would have musk's ear, i would surely be so sick of his poo poo that i'd let the catastrophe happen just as a "you have to let people make mistakes on their own sometime" lesson and hope that the large enough public shame makes it stick (it won't)

callous perhaps considering it could have been worse given how much payload we're working with here, but were i in said position, i'd also likely not give a poo poo.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
we've constructed the world's largest jack-in-the-box and placed it beneath the rocket,

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

for comparison this is the damage after a fully fueled N-1 rocket exploded on the pad

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

embeds are loading but twitter.com seems to be completely down right now?

also, lmao

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
https://twitter.com/WhitlockJason/status/1649372549115936768?t=jd5DbaCkx52o8KFHJwqVqQ&s=19

Typical Twitter Blue user using $8 worth of toilet paper every day

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/GroovyBruce/status/1649474631714086920

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
working for Elon at Space-X is like trying to rebuild the 60s NASA program but using only components from The Incredible Machine

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

does this dude use gold leaf for toilet paper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Launching the rocket with a giant slingshot and let the engines do the rest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGO4LtCctTk

It's apparently as feasible engineering and physics wise as the Hyperloop, so, not at all, but like Hyperloop companies, they have raised a lot of money from idiots with too much money.