Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

TheMightyBoops posted:

This seems like a relevant place to ask this:
Raycon is a drop shipping scam right?

I've had a pair of raycon sport for just about a year and the right earbud is basically as good as new and the left earbud has about an hour of battery on a full charge. I'm looking for new ones but I guess no wireless earbuds are designed to last more than a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

they were originally one of those channels that debunks mlms, which i watched a few of, but after that well dried they pivoted to just general commentary, which they are not very good at. i watched their one on the nz gloriavale cult because i'm from nz and it was just terribly researched, total surface-level commentary below even that you'd find in a local newspaper, and very obviously just trying to take advantage of it being in the headlines at the time; which i know because it is titled "the cult that preyed on children" as the headlines were about historic sexual abuse allegations but the cult was not only active and still abusing people when the video was made, it's still active and generating abuse allegations to this very day.

true, I remember when she tried branching out into weird interesting places around the world, and just completely whiffed it. her bermuda triangle video was the dumbest poo poo, but her approach at research (none) made the video great comedy, at several points for eexample she brought up stories her "research" couldn't find a mundane explanation for, and her final conclusion was basically "forget everything I said, the Bermuda triangle is a scam, gently caress you for watching"

like fair enough, but why would you leave poo poo in your video that violently conflicts with your conclusion? that entire video seemed like a parody of these kinds of essays, the ending was basically like an unintended copy of the joke reviews Spoony would sometimes put into his videos :allears:

after that clunker, I slowly stopped watching her videos, since after that, what other dumb poo poo is hidden in her other videos where I don't know as much about the subject matter?

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

rodbeard posted:

I've had a pair of raycon sport for just about a year and the right earbud is basically as good as new and the left earbud has about an hour of battery on a full charge. I'm looking for new ones but I guess no wireless earbuds are designed to last more than a year.

I had some Altec Lansing ones I lost that were surprisingly good.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I've had really good luck with BeatsX and now the Beats Flex. My Flex last a whole day of podcasts and conference calls and a quick to recharge to a usable level if I forget.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

New Ahoy Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4EFkspO5p4 about pixel art of a burger.

I love that this didn't come out April 1st so you know it rules

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

TheMightyBoops posted:

I had some Altec Lansing ones I lost that were surprisingly good.

Yeah I have one of their speakers and the battery is still pretty good and it never lets me forget what the brand name is when I turn it on lol.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Pachylad posted:

The Michael Moore school of documentary editing?

Speaking of content creators catching L's:

https://twitter.com/theserfstv/status/1649167461277904897?t=T4MSPanh6lO-uknl9J58Xw&s=19

Lance, noo :negative:

I guess a lot of people really will defend their associates from pretty much anything, irrespective of if they're actually right.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
YouTube recommended me this pretty good deep dive on the infamous Peter Molyneux Project Milo demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUL8UDVVJSA

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

IShallRiseAgain posted:

New Ahoy Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4EFkspO5p4 about pixel art of a burger.
Great idea, great execution. Ahoy still the top voice in the game.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Also about that meal kit thing. If a company sponsors a youtube ad, you can pretty much assume the product is poo poo. (except for maybe a VPN, but even those are pretty misleading).

Most of the VPN's that sponsor videos are at least actually VPN's and if you buy them will function perfectly fine as a VPN, but yeah their marketing is super deceptive and implies you can make yourself totally anonymous just by toggling on a VPN, as if data scraping only operated off your IP address and nothing else. In a non-enterprise context you really only need a VPN for two things: spoofing your location to access geo-blocked content, and if you're torrenting copyrighted content.

I use exactly one of these advertises on Youtube services, and it's Trade. Costs $15-20 bucks a bag and every 3 weeks I get sent freshly roasted bag of third wave coffee, often from roasters I'd never have the chance or means to go visit. Also key: it's really not that much more expensive than buying similar coffee directly from a roaster, since they generally charge $12-18 per bag.

rodbeard posted:

I'm looking for new ones but I guess no wireless earbuds are designed to last more than a year.

Yeah it sucks, I'd legit pay a premium for decent quality wireless earbuds but all of it is cheap low quality crap. I guess AirPods are supposed to be nice but I'm on android and apparently while you can get them to work it's kinda finicky.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Sydin posted:

Yeah it sucks, I'd legit pay a premium for decent quality wireless earbuds but all of it is cheap low quality crap. I guess AirPods are supposed to be nice but I'm on android and apparently while you can get them to work it's kinda finicky.

I've put my Sony buds through hell (so many drops into puddles) and they still sound great 3 years later. not a bad alternative to AirPods imo

https://electronics.sony.com/audio/headphones/truly-wireless-earbuds/p/wf1000xm4-b

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Famethrowa posted:

I've put my Sony buds through hell (so many drops into puddles) and they still sound great 3 years later. not a bad alternative to AirPods imo

https://electronics.sony.com/audio/headphones/truly-wireless-earbuds/p/wf1000xm4-b

Cheers, I'll give them a look.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Angryhead posted:

Great idea, great execution. Ahoy still the top voice in the game.
There's no arguing that he has a great voice in the videos, but you can do a lot with a good microphone and even the tiniest amount of post-processing.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

TheMightyBoops posted:

I think the pyramid YouTuber is good at choosing topics, and I don’t think they’re a bad person, but based on their scripts they’ve always come off as kinda dumb.

My rule of thumb is that if a product or service has to consistently hammer you with advertisements, well after it's been established, then you're paying for the costs of those advertisements and not the quality. The best stuff usually has no need to hire a small army of influences to hawk itself.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

There's no arguing that he has a great voice in the videos, but you can do a lot with a good microphone and even the tiniest amount of post-processing.

Very true. I've used NVIDIA Broadcast for this a fair bit. When it works it's great but there seem to be a lot of weird bugs with it that either drop my volume or add weird gaps. Hopefully it will get better in time. Audacity works fine for most things as ever.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Famethrowa posted:

I have the xm3 and they are still going strong a couple years later. Still hold a good charge with both the buds and case.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Sardonik posted:

Very true. I've used NVIDIA Broadcast for this a fair bit. When it works it's great but there seem to be a lot of weird bugs with it that either drop my volume or add weird gaps. Hopefully it will get better in time. Audacity works fine for most things as ever.
Nvidia broadcast is mostly a gimmick about making it easy for the average gamer.

If you're any kind of a computer toucher with a bit of audio experience, you can do a much better job. Processing audio at realtime is not very computationally expensive.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

rodbeard posted:

When I was looking for some earbuds, I went asking on Reddit of all places and got recommended some Samsung Galaxy Earbuds and those have been working for me for 2 years now. But I got those for like 50$ off a Walmart deal and they're all like 200$ now so I assume they're either somewhat discontinued or outdated by a new model or something.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Nvidia broadcast is mostly a gimmick about making it easy for the average gamer.

If you're any kind of a computer toucher with a bit of audio experience, you can do a much better job. Processing audio at realtime is not very computationally expensive.
If I asked you for your 'plugin' would you accuse me of plagiarism? :haw:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Sardonik posted:

If I asked you for your 'plugin' would you accuse me of plagiarism? :haw:
At least buy me dinner first, I don't put out that easily. :v:

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
gently caress all that talk about bad videos, there's a new bobbybroccoli:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ett_8wLJ87U

e: yessss it starts with the george bush human cloning speech

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sardonik posted:

Lance, noo :negative:

I guess a lot of people really will defend their associates from pretty much anything, irrespective of if they're actually right.

He deleted it. What was there before hand? What lovely take did Lance have that he realized he probably shouldn't have?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wait, I had a bad video question. Is this guy anything special in the conspiracy sky mystery side of youtube or is this like, the top of the pile?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpftQ0G-4nM

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

He deleted it. What was there before hand? What lovely take did Lance have that he realized he probably shouldn't have?

The one in my post was Lance going "love you as a fan but this is some shady poo poo". He apparently had an earlier tweet he made that prolly similarly took illuminaughtii's side as well but deleted that before this one.

Guessing he deleted this now that people are catching on to it too lol.

And retweeting her tweets on his feed like it's no big deal, guessing their PR method is now "pray that everyone forgets the big fuckup here"

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

nine-gear crow posted:

He went in defense of the actual plagiarist, calling the rebuttals "a bad look"

Edit: I guess there were two!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pachylad posted:

The one in my post was Lance going "love you as a fan but this is some shady poo poo". He apparently had an earlier tweet he made that prolly similarly took illuminaughtii's side as well but deleted that before this one.

Guessing he deleted this now that people are catching on to it too lol.

And retweeting her tweets on his feed like it's no big deal, guessing their PR method is now "pray that everyone forgets the big fuckup here"

Only saw that one you mentioned first, thought it was a bit like 'Wow, dude can't believe you just stole their poo poo like that. Zoom in on a bookshelf in the back of his room Wow, you have a bookshelf too? How much do you have to steal from this poor small time youtuber smh'

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

RareAcumen posted:

Wait, I had a bad video question. Is this guy anything special in the conspiracy sky mystery side of youtube or is this like, the top of the pile?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpftQ0G-4nM
i mean, he's certainly special for dedicating that much time to recording errors.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sydin posted:

I have never not been android and I got these airpods last summer, they're fantastic, and pretty cheap for wireless earbuds compared to many others(they've gone on sale a couple times for 80 bucks or so, that's what I paid anyways). I have dropped them repeatedly onto hard surfaces and they've stood up to the punishment so far with no issues. might be worth a try.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

tinaun posted:

gently caress all that talk about bad videos, there's a new bobbybroccoli:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ett_8wLJ87U

e: yessss it starts with the george bush human cloning speech

The second half of this is already up on Nebula, if anyone has that and is impatient to watch the rest.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Mr.Radar posted:

YouTube recommended me this pretty good deep dive on the infamous Peter Molyneux Project Milo demo:

It's interesting to learn that it was actually a game that was under development. I thought that demo was a complete fabrication all these years, well it still was but you know. I completely missed that he demoed the game at TED and just assumed that the only footage of it was from E3.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
One thing that I feel like the video failed to mention is that the Kinect (Project Natal) was a huge grift overall. Project Milo was kinda special in its bullshit but still not an apple falling too far from its tree.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
As an update on a prior discussion, I went and watched that video Barely Sociable did about "The Dark Side of the Music Industry" and yeah it's weird. Like 60% of it is perfectly credible breakdowns of the history of organized crime ties to the music industry. Then he does a song and dance that comes just shy of saying every tragic OD or suicide was a mob hit to cash in on insurance payouts and music sale bumps, but close enough that you know what he's getting at.

And also a frankly absurd bit of string-on-cork-board analyzing how apparently so many musicians talk about taking "deals with the devil" and "Faustian bargains" like those aren't exceptionally common poetic expressions used every time someone knows they're compromising themselves dealing with some corporation or shady group.

It's like he had some pretty interesting but well-trod true crime research done around how the music industry is corrupt, but felt like needed to spice it up or pad it out a bit with some flimsy conspiracy stuff. It's not the worst thing but yeah it does wade way deeper into speculative crap than the other videos of his usually go. It probably does say something that he said he was planning follow up videos and none of those have materialized 10 months after that one.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Like, yeah, the 27 Club and related stories is an interesting *concept* but that does not belong in a serious retrospective on the music industry.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Symbolic Butt posted:

One thing that I feel like the video failed to mention is that the Kinect (Project Natal) was a huge grift overall. Project Milo was kinda special in its bullshit but still not an apple falling too far from its tree.

it was mentioned that by commercial launch the kinect was utterly trashed to cut costs

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Mr.Radar posted:

It's kinda eerie how the final version of Project Milo (presumably the closest Lionhead ever got the concept to a playable game) is basically a Telltale game. No, Kenny is not going to remember that, it's not going to mean poo poo.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Coney, the Smash commentator, did a thing about past E3s and talked about Peter Moleneux and described him as "the greatest trickster videogames have ever known" and it makes me laugh anytime I think about it

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Macaluso posted:

Coney, the Smash commentator, did a thing about past E3s and talked about Peter Moleneux and described him as "the greatest trickster videogames have ever known" and it makes me laugh anytime I think about it

I remember really loving a thing in an old E3 thread here where a dedicated goon just went back through years of old E3 presentations. It was amazing how many presentations ended up being total vaporware or forgotten trash once you sat down and kept count.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's like he had some pretty interesting but well-trod true crime research done around how the music industry is corrupt, but felt like needed to spice it up or pad it out a bit with some flimsy conspiracy stuff. It's not the worst thing but yeah it does wade way deeper into speculative crap than the other videos of his usually go. It probably does say something that he said he was planning follow up videos and none of those have materialized 10 months after that one.

Yeah, I think it didn't get the reaction he hoped, especially for the credibility hit he took. Most of his stuff usually lays out the mystery and then debunks how it's a scary mystery and you can just, like, call the hotel and ask about the room they're supposed to refuse to talk about. I was waiting for the turn on it, and when I didn't get it, it felt really odd. I almost felt bamboozled! Like I thought I'd be getting a look into the history around crime and music and instead got a conspiracy about musicians getting murdered on purpose.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I remember really loving a thing in an old E3 thread here where a dedicated goon just went back through years of old E3 presentations. It was amazing how many presentations ended up being total vaporware or forgotten trash once you sat down and kept count.

Any chance you remember which thread this was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

RatHat posted:

Any chance you remember which thread this was?

Quick Google search of the site isn't helping. It would have just been a pre-E3 megathread in Games from several years ago, sadly they didn't make it its own thread, it was just threaded in with other discussion.

I also don't want to overhype it, I just remember a lot of stuff that was funny in retrospect. Like Haze getting a ridiculous amount of press in the run up to its release alongside pitches that just fell apart before release. The concept was doing a write-up of each segment of the presentations, then covering how the game was received on release and what features actually made it.