Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
To be fair everyone is woke if you are leader of the Reform Party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
dicked ice

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dickchard Lice.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Looks like the CBI's going under lol. These days, you can't even turn a blind eye to a culture of sexual abuse within your organisation without woke zealots (ftse 100 companies) deciding to boycott you.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

in don’t get why some companies have “paused” their membership while others have quit? come on, it’s like the end of the News if the World, everyone knows it’s a dead man walking

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
As predicted:

https://twitter.com/unfetteredmind1/status/1649188721307140100?s=20

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

This is a story as a reminder that the NHS is full of great people when you let it work.

Had stomach pain Tuesday/Wednesday, phoned up GP on Thursday morning and they had a telephone consultation for me later than morning. Describe my problems over the phone, GP asks if I can make it to her surgery by midday to check if it's appendicitis. I go in, she determines it's worth sending me to hospital and by 3pm the hospital has diagnosed me with appendicitis and puts me in for surgery. Due to other people needing surgery more urgently I get bumped to the next morning and have a painful night, but the (foreign) nurses are constantly checking my temperature and giving me pain relief overnight to try and help me cope. I go under the knife 10am next morning, have my appendix removed, and now am just waiting for the all-clear to go home.

I've been very lucky with how swiftly and kindly everyone has acted, but I shouldn't have to be lucky- this should just be how things work. The NHS first and foremost needs more staff and more staff consistency - any reforms to the structure of the NHS can only happen when there isn't a manpower crisis due to low pay.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Look dude, if you're going to make Party Political Shitposts on behalf of the Communist Party of Britain (Marxist-Leninist), you need to clearly indicate that they were paid for by Jeremy Corbyn.

tia

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

More seriously, happy to hear you got given the treatment needed Nothingtoseehere.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I used the Dartford crossing once and it was the worst three hours I've spent in Kent, which is saying something. Then as a additional slap in the face once you get across you're in Essex.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

big scary monsters posted:

I used the Dartford crossing once and it was the worst three hours I've spent in Kent, which is saying something. Then as a additional slap in the face once you get across you're in Essex.

Lmao, as someone from Essex who managed to escape after finishing school this just hits home. Essex and Kent are just terrible, terrible places, a blight upon an already blighted nation.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Rabelais D posted:

Lmao, as someone from Essex who managed to escape after finishing school this just hits home. Essex and Kent are just terrible, terrible places, a blight upon an already blighted nation.

You went to a finishing school?

Great language we have there, would be a shame if someone ambiguated it

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Elon is causing Lord Sugar to melt down

https://twitter.com/lord_sugar/status/1649698679115194369?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I don't know why I do this to myself, reading all these fascist bullies out in force defending the appalling Raab on twitter.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/AllisonPearson/status/1649409500166737920

Gordon Brown terrorizes Ed Balls in the office, 2006

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Tories gonna tory Jaeluni! It's hard to not stare into the void.

My mum wanted me to wheel her round M&S today as a treat. Spent 90 quid on a small bag of shopping. Most of it covered in Charles' face.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/JuliaHB1/status/1649680919421235200

There are some incredible dogshit opinions this morning, but this one really stood out. lol

e: There's also this from last night

https://twitter.com/AllisonPearson/status/1649381450595155968

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Apr 22, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Their four quid sourdoughs are very good. I would normally object to paying that much for bread but it's super dense and I can eat the whole thing myself as a day's meals so eh.

verydarkblue
May 23, 2009
This is going to be weird and long so apologies in advance. I'm a long time lurker, I've lurked since LF and transitioned to the UKMT thread at its demise. I find it difficult to communicate, I either come across as stiff or end up going full TMI (this is going to be TMI, probably) and that's why I haven't posted. One of my daughters has told me to start talking to people, so this is what I'm doing. It's also going to be weird because while none of you know me, I've been lurking here for years so it feels like I know all of you, lol. I've always been on the left side of politics, maybe even more left than most as I grew up in the deep south of the US as an opiniated, non-religious female and spent my youth fighting racists, misogynists, homophobes, transphobes, climate deniers and mean spirited idiots. I usually lost but I kept fighting. I moved here in the 90's and fell in love with this stupid country and I've been here ever since. I live in Northumberland and still love this stupid country.

I am old (Jaeluni age, roughly) and have been a self employed plushie doll maker since leaving a toxic work environment that gave me enough of a settlement to start up the doll making venture. I've struggled, honestly, but I am happy to be out of office work and working for myself. I previously used the Solidarity Fund to help me sort out a disaster with British Gas but there are so many people who are in truly desperate circumstances, I'm not comfortable asking for more. I've recently found out that the hernia I've been carrying around for several years is, in essence, inoperable. My age, size, the size of the hernia (think 10 months pregnant), general health and the length of the operation (4+ hours) give a minimum fail rate of 30% and they sent me away with a view to re-evaluate in 2 years. I can only imagine the outlook will be similar so I am coming to terms with being like this permanently. It sucks, but that's life. It means that my safety net of going back into the work force if this fails isn't a possibility unless they can offer fully remote work. I've had a couple of interviews but as soon as they realise my age, they politely decline to move forward.

I'm hoping that you all can help me the way you helped Camrath with his fudge venture. I need work. If anyone is interested in ordering a plushie of any sort, I've made a thread in the SA Mart thread and I am truly in need of orders. I can provide pics of my work, I primarily make video game characters, anime characters, OCs and small creatures (Pokemon, Digimon, Splatoon Squids, etc) but if you can describe it to me, I can make it. I would very much like to both pay my bills and eat but it's becoming increasingly difficult to do this.

I've watched the way this thread cares for and supports each other for years and I'm hoping a little of that camaraderie can flow towards me. Sorry for the wall of text. If anyone has any questions, work related or not, I'm more than will to answer them.

Here is the link (thanks, Sebzilla!) https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4030236

verydarkblue fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Apr 22, 2023

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Hello and welcome, friend. This is indeed a deeply stupid country but the fact you've actively chosen to live here speaks volumes. There's enough good bits to make the shite bearable.

Very sorry to hear about your health worries, and best of luck with the plushies. I'll check out your SA Mart thread (maybe drop a link for ease?)

You and all other lurkers should never feel reticent about starting to contribute to the thread. We're all gently caress ups here, so :justpost:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

verydarkblue
May 23, 2009
Honestly, it's such a beautiful country! I grew up on the Gulf Coast, hot, humid and flat. Where most people want to live someplace like that, all I remember are the mosquitos, the palmetto bugs (large, flying roaches that just don't die), heat and sand everywhere. I love it here. When I first moved here we did a driving tour of England and Scotland and it was amazing. Just a shame about the politics, the monarchy and the overabundance of gammon.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The climate can be a bit depressing (both weather-wise and socially) but yeah I wouldn't want to live elsewhere.

Echoing :justpost: and welcome.

verydarkblue
May 23, 2009
I kind of like the weather and some of people, lol.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

verydarkblue posted:

This is going to be weird and long so apologies in advance. I'm a long time lurker, I've lurked since LF and transitioned to the UKMT thread at its demise. I find it difficult to communicate, I either come across as stiff or end up going full TMI (this is going to be TMI, probably) and that's why I haven't posted. One of my daughters has told me to start talking to people, so this is what I'm doing. It's also going to be weird because while none of you know me, I've been lurking here for years so it feels like I know all of you, lol. I've always been on the left side of politics, maybe even more left than most as I grew up in the deep south of the US as an opiniated, non-religious female and spent my youth fighting racists, misogynists, homophobes, transphobes, climate deniers and mean spirited idiots. I usually lost but I kept fighting. I moved here in the 90's and fell in love with this stupid country and I've been here ever since. I live in Northumberland and still love this stupid country.

I am old (Jaeluni age, roughly) and have been a self employed plushie doll maker since leaving a toxic work environment that gave me enough of a settlement to start up the doll making venture. I've struggled, honestly, but I am happy to be out of office work and working for myself. I previously used the Solidarity Fund to help me sort out a disaster with British Gas but there are so many people who are in truly desperate circumstances, I'm not comfortable asking for more. I've recently found out that the hernia I've been carrying around for several years is, in essence, inoperable. My age, size, the size of the hernia (think 10 months pregnant), general health and the length of the operation (4+ hours) give a minimum fail rate of 30% and they sent me away with a view to re-evaluate in 2 years. I can only imagine the outlook will be similar so I am coming to terms with being like this permanently. It sucks, but that's life. It means that my safety net of going back into the work force if this fails isn't a possibility unless they can offer fully remote work. I've had a couple of interviews but as soon as they realise my age, they politely decline to move forward.

I'm hoping that you all can help me the way you helped Camrath with his fudge venture. I need work. If anyone is interested in ordering a plushie of any sort, I've made a thread in the SA Mart thread and I am truly in need of orders. I can provide pics of my work, I primarily make video game characters, anime characters, OCs and small creatures (Pokemon, Digimon, Splatoon Squids, etc) but if you can describe it to me, I can make it. I would very much like to both pay my bills and eat but it's becoming increasingly difficult to do this.

I've watched the way this thread cares for and supports each other for years and I'm hoping a little of that camaraderie can flow towards me. Sorry for the wall of text. If anyone has any questions, work related or not, I'm more than will to answer them.

Here is the link (thanks, Sebzilla!) https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4030236

Greetings fellow "Golden Girl" :)

It is tough getting work over 55 - employers are far too ready to dismiss 'oldies' as being 'unable to learn new tricks' or 'bad with tech' or whatever load of age-discriminatory BS they can come up with.

These happen to be my bug bears: In my work, the only two of us who have the faintest inkling on how computers work, able to sort out computer problems, get to grips with new software etc are a volunteer - it's a charity - who is pushing 80yo & only just beginning to go 'off the boil', and myself - 63 next week - and the only reason we can't sort out more is because 'they' won't give us the admin passwords for 365 etc to sort out some simple years-long niggles that we could fix in probably 15 mins). The youngsters in their 40s are clueless, never backup their stuff, & spend hours emailing our extremely elusive microsoft consultant which we are obliged to have because that is apparently one of the rules for getting full 365 free as a charity but who never answers emails or the phone.

I hope your plushies takes off.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
No fears, just posts.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

verydarkblue posted:

I kind of like the weather and some of people, lol.

that's the spirit

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

The climate can be a bit depressing (both weather-wise and socially) but yeah I wouldn't want to live elsewhere.

Echoing :justpost: and welcome.

The climate is good. Never too hot or cold, rare to get extremely high winds. Bit of damp & grey is a price worth paying

verydarkblue
May 23, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Greetings fellow "Golden Girl" :)

It is tough getting work over 55 - employers are far too ready to dismiss 'oldies' as being 'unable to learn new tricks' or 'bad with tech' or whatever load of age-discriminatory BS they can come up with.

These happen to be my bug bears: In my work, the only two of us who have the faintest inkling on how computers work, able to sort out computer problems, get to grips with new software etc are a volunteer - it's a charity - who is pushing 80yo & only just beginning to go 'off the boil', and myself - 63 next week - and the only reason we can't sort out more is because 'they' won't give us the admin passwords for 365 etc to sort out some simple years-long niggles that we could fix in probably 15 mins). The youngsters in their 40s are clueless, never backup their stuff, & spend hours emailing our extremely elusive microsoft consultant which we are obliged to have because that is apparently one of the rules for getting full 365 free as a charity but who never answers emails or the phone.

I hope your plushies takes off.

Yeah, I get this. I was into computers, and new technology in general, from the very beginning. I've always had the tendency to tinker with something if it didn't work the way I wanted it to and ended up learning a lot that way. But people see an old person, 64 at the end of this year, and think I spend my time emailing cat memes to my fellow grannies, lol. Some folk just don't have the desire to tinker with things, it's kind of sad.

verydarkblue
May 23, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

The climate is good. Never too hot or cold, rare to get extremely high winds. Bit of damp & grey is a price worth paying

Also no big natural weather incidents, apart from some flooding, yet. No hurricanes (lived through a couple of big ones), no tornadoes, and no earthquakes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am mostly just grousing because I've missed all the nice weather due to being at work and it's been pissy rain for weeks. The UK can have wonderful weather I just could do with some.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I love this opinion that the Civll Service - the Civil Service! Sir Humphrey and co.! Literally the Establishment! are somehow bomb-throwing revolutionaries.

verydarkblue
May 23, 2009
The weather can get quite grey and depressing and grousing is perfectly acceptable. When I first moved here it took me quite a while to get used to the grey and the darkness of winter. Also grousing is one of my favourite words; I never heard it before I moved here and it works in so well in so many situations.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

feedmegin posted:

I love this opinion that the Civll Service - the Civil Service! Sir Humphrey and co.! Literally the Establishment! are somehow bomb-throwing revolutionaries.

Well you see they all went to university at some point, so they are basically loonie left students because that's what all students are these days as the telegraph keeps telling me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Alison Pearson is a journalist so I also think she probably does work from home?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
She mostly hides under her desk in case gargantuan meat cube Gordon Brown throws 150kg 90s era photocopiers through her window.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Guavanaut posted:

https://twitter.com/AllisonPearson/status/1649409500166737920

Gordon Brown terrorizes Ed Balls in the office, 2006

I think she might be thinking of Geoff Capes.

Easy mistake to make (it’s the kilt).

verydarkblue
May 23, 2009
I like how they are 'formerly impartial/world class' all because they called out a bully.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
So normal workers are bone idle and won't work.
Small boat immigrants are bone idle and won't work.
Railway workers are bone idle and won't work.
Junior doctors are bone idle and won't work.
Now the Civil Service is bone idle and won't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
It never fails to rile me that it's loving opinion columnists who sit there on twitter all day complaining that other people are lazy and don't do any work. Like loving hell, you're getting paid six figures to poo poo out 300 words a week and in all likelihood have literally never done an actual days work in your life.

I guess, as ever with these people, it's all just projection.