Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
This is how primitive americans drove around the moon *crowd gasps audibly*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

fermun posted:

that's a rooftop tent, $3700 4-person tent for car camping on top of your car. because that jeep has a truck bed and no rooftop luggage rack, they also had to install an adaptor that attaches to the bed and eliminates a lot of the utility of having a truck bed. it folds out like this:

some of them you can hook the trailer hitch electric hookup to power a LED light inside, but otherwise it's nothing more than a tent on your roof. people that have these are universally the biggest assholes at a campsite, hope they don't take the site next to yours

I don't hate these things necessarily, but I also don't see the point. Then again, I don't understand half the things people do while camping. I'm more of a blend into the woods and be part of nature kinda guy.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think the point is you can camp somewhere without setting up a tent, like a mini rv

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

There was a thread I found from someone's rap sheet that's being a dick in dnd/elsewhere to some educators and he has like 10,000 posts in the "these loving people are on the road with you thread" where he talks about scaring cyclists, celebrating when they get hit, trying to come up with ways to be lovely to them, and then every other post there is about other drivers how he flips them off when they turn to slowly and stuff.

He needs to come here lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don't hate these things necessarily, but I also don't see the point. Then again, I don't understand half the things people do while camping. I'm more of a blend into the woods and be part of nature kinda guy.
REI brains. nature is a commodity to be consumed, to be seen as consuming nature by the imaginary crowd. as the subject of desire, you see yourself as the rugged self-made outdoors man in the imaginary, so you consume the symbolic as an attempt to be this. but you have the contradiction that consuming nature isn't fulfillment to that desire (such as finding it uncomfortable, anxious about doing it right, too many bugs, dont get good sleep, feeling grimy, whatever), which means you aren't being the real self you imagine to be. so it must then simply be a matter of inadequate preparation and if only you consume the right objects you can obtain the fullfillment to be seen by the crowd as the rugged outdoors man you see yourself to be. REI provides that solution to this event horizon contradiction but will always be unfulfilled because it can't be fulfilled by consumption, which means endless and infinite profits. the gaze masquerade.

as an american, you grow up with the images of the independent masculine outdoors man being the pinnacle of success and fullfillment and internalize this desire as to what you're lacking in life and if you only had it you'd be made whole. if you could be seen as the rugged individualist outdoors man, then you see yourself as becoming the object of desire of others because it is what you don't have. it's a successful marketing campaign intended to make profit from that anxiety gap of what you desire and what you are. enter REI, hummers, and overpriced 80k trucks

e: this was a flippant shitpost not meant to be taken seriously but there is some truth in that.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 08:33 on Apr 21, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
*liberal voice* nice ableism folx, not everyone can set up a tent y'know. do better

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

NeatHeteroDude posted:

There was a thread I found from someone's rap sheet that's being a dick in dnd/elsewhere to some educators and he has like 10,000 posts in the "these loving people are on the road with you thread" where he talks about scaring cyclists, celebrating when they get hit, trying to come up with ways to be lovely to them, and then every other post there is about other drivers how he flips them off when they turn to slowly and stuff.

that's me. get out of the way granny! some of us got places to go

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Xaris posted:

*liberal voice* nice ableism folx, not everyone can set up a tent y'know. do better

would you be interested to know someone very recently told me ironic humor is ableist because "neurodivergent people can be very literal, so they won't get the jokes"? that seems more ableist imho

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

NeatHeteroDude posted:

would you be interested to know someone very recently told me ironic humor is ableist because "neurodivergent people can be very literal, so they won't get the jokes"? that seems more ableist imho
lmfao wtf

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Xaris posted:

lmfao wtf

how will autistic people access the humor if they're too messed up to understand jokes - a person I know

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Trains transport the rockets for the spaceships.

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/flyout/railroad.html

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

NeatHeteroDude posted:

how will autistic people access the humor if they're too messed up to understand jokes - a person I know

all the autistic people are posting on these dead gay comedy forums, sounds like a skill issue to me

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

mystes posted:

I think the point is you can camp somewhere without setting up a tent, like a mini rv

but you've gotta set up a tent. it actually takes a little longer to set up than a typical tent with ground tarp, it just is elevated so it doesnt need a ground tarp but also your sleeping pad and stuff take longer to set up because you gotta crawl up in that thing

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Granted, I would say that image encapulsates the point the United States is at, looking at past accomplishments and unable to think of anything greater. That you probably could have roads, walkable cities and go to the moon, but it is just not possible for American "patriots" to handle such a concept.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Maed posted:

a garage in manhattan collapsed, https://abc7ny.com/parking-garage-collapse-pace-university-financial-district-lower-manhattan/13153122/, this is gonna keep happening as cars get heavier and heavier, especially EVs. another gigantic infrastructure cost to EVs since all the old garages will need to be strengthened to handle the weight. add it to the pile of EVs not fixing a drat thing

I got curious and a tesla s weighs more than twice my 91 chevy S10 pickup did when both are about the same length lol, that equates to 4x the road damage too, fun times

there must have been a recent rivian delivery in my area. over past 2 days I’ve seen 3 different rivian suvs on my commute. reminds me of seeing Teslas all of a suddennon west Michigan.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

NeatHeteroDude posted:

legitimate psychopath

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Urbanism in Texas is a land of contrasts. On one side, Austin will add a bike lane. On the other side, TXDOT will pave over that bike lane to widen a road.

lobster shirt posted:

i recently looked at a house that flooded three times in six years but its neighbors on both sides have never flooded lmao. what is going on here!!

Easy. Those houses flooded too and they lie about it. Everyone lies about their hosed up house and there isn't any repercussion for it because it's usually the law suit isn't worth it. I had to pull map photos of flooding to determine if a home actually flooded or not.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
now that i hate cars and live in the coutnry i see stupid poo poo like this all the time it's just so ubiquitous

I think I remember some tidbit about the USA not actually having Hi-Lux platform trucks for sale? Because this garbage is a pathetic perversion of hte People's Truck

just buy a station wagon!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

short bed crew cabs look so stupid

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This thread has made it actively difficult to not be annoying in public

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Ignorance is bliss, solidarity

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

I wanna do phrenology on the "people" who drive those

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Gunshow Poophole posted:

just buy a station wagon!

What station wagons are sold in the US as this price point? The Subaru Outback and... ?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

McCracAttack posted:

What station wagons are sold in the US as this price point? The Subaru Outback and... ?

The only ones I really see in the states are from luxury brands outside the outback

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

gradenko_2000 posted:

I get honked at so much for taking up the whole right lane on my bike now

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah, I got mad at a car for parking right across the bike lane today. I shouted and hit his car. While my son was on the back, not my proudest moment honestly.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I get honked at so much for taking up the whole right lane on my bike now

take the lane or die getting sideswiped

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

A MIRACLE posted:

short bed crew cabs look so stupid

It's an oversized sedan with no cover on the trunk

Edit: you can buy a cover for the trunk on your oversized sedan, tho

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

sonatinas posted:

The only ones I really see in the states are from luxury brands outside the outback

yes that is literally all this is left

article should be titled "only station wagons"

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g26961972/best-station-wagons/

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

take the lane or die getting sideswiped

Preaching to the choir my friend

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

sonatinas posted:

actionjackson posted:

yes that is literally all this is left

article should be titled "only station wagons"

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/g26961972/best-station-wagons/

Part of America's weird car culture is explained by the lack of better choices. People are importing 25 year old Japanese compact trucks to the US because there's literally no such thing sold here. My city put a bus stop near my house a few years ago but it would have turned my 10 minute commute to work into a 1 hour commute to work because the route was nonsense.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Aren't there still some new hatchbacks like the Hyundai Accent (an abbreviation of Advanced Compact Car of Epoch-making New Technology) ok apparently not... Honda Fit? Nope not that either. Civic hatchback still exists, but the problem is it's still a fail car.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Okay then I'll take the bus. Oh wait...

Edit: Guess I have a raw nerve. People asking why Americans don't make better choices just makes the lack of better choices sting that much more.

wash bucket has issued a correction as of 19:23 on Apr 21, 2023

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

eXXon posted:

Aren't there still some new hatchbacks like the Hyundai Accent (an abbreviation of Advanced Compact Car of Epoch-making New Technology) ok apparently not... Honda Fit? Nope not that either. Civic hatchback still exists, but the problem is it's still a fail car.

mitsubishi mirage and chevy spark

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
dark time for subcompact hatchbacks in the united states

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

“crossover SUV’s” which I guess is every SUV that is smaller than a WWII main battle tank, are what you can buy instead of a station wagon today

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Honda stopped selling the Fit in the US a few years ago. I have a Civic hatchback and use it to haul my bike around, while I see large pickup trucks towing a small trailer because the bed is too small.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Smythe posted:

mitsubishi mirage and chevy spark

The Spark is dead and a bunch of articles said good riddance. The Mirage is rated one of the worst cars you can buy with a "boring" 73hp 3-cyl engine.

Every car should be boring to drive IMO (boring under the surface directly to the nearest lava flow hAhaha).

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I drove a Spark EV for a while (not my car though). It was ok. Terrible rear visibility. But that is every car now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
my wife drives a hyundai elantra hatchback and likes it. we had to get it a couple years ago because she's a high school teacher in the county jail and the city shut down the bus line that went to the jail in March 2020 and never reopened it, so when they returned to in-person teaching there was no other option.