Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah Saga is designed to emulate Dark Ages warbands of a chieftain, a couple retainers, a bunch of dudes with axes, and maybe some guys with bows; the ancients stuff is fun but the lists are a little silly if you think about them too hard. I do wonder how they'll handle post Marian Rome when Age of Caesar finally comes out- might be fun to have their foot troops be all hearthguard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

This thread is making me wish I had my stack of FoW core books nearby so I could check all the rules I half-remember, but on the other hand I am also glad that I have given up on that game and don't need the hefty rulebooks anymore.

Although I haven't played before the current V4, I have heard it is somewhat simplified, and certainly my rulebook is a slim A5 booklet. I'd say it isn't overly complex but there is a decent amount of depth. It's written out fairly clearly with some examples, could probably usefully be made longer with more in-depth examples of edge cases, and/or FAQs.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

StashAugustine posted:

Help I'm having extremely stupid decision paralysis about Saga basing. I've currently got my foot troops on 25mm rounds, heroes on 30mm, warlords on 40mm rounds, and all mounted troops/heroes/warlords on 50x25mm rectangles. Now that I'm painting a bunch of heroes at once, I'm thinking that I might want to distinguish them from the other mounted troops. I'm considering 50x25mm ovals for the heroes and 50mm rounds for the mounted warlords, but I'm waffling over actually making the decision.

What I’ve learnt from my better, more experienced Saga players around here is that large circular bases for stuff on horses looks good, but is a pain in the rear end game-play wise.

E: as in one friend going through the hassle of rebasing all his cavalry after a few games because wider bases on cav sucks.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 18, 2023

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I think the only time you want a large large base is for factions like the Britons where you want your Warlord in S of all your guys. Otherwise it is a hindrance for movement

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cessna posted:

Saga: Age of Hannibal is Punic Wars, so about a century before Marius.

Velites, Hastati, Principes, Triarii, etc.

It does seem a bit off to have skirmishing units of, say, Triarii and Velites in the same fight together, but, hey, it's a game.
I'd hope that's what sixth and maimed got sold, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he got something more appropriate for the Triumvirates.

Genghis Cohen posted:

Although I haven't played before the current V4, I have heard it is somewhat simplified, and certainly my rulebook is a slim A5 booklet. I'd say it isn't overly complex but there is a decent amount of depth. It's written out fairly clearly with some examples, could probably usefully be made longer with more in-depth examples of edge cases, and/or FAQs.
The V4 slim booklet is significantly smaller than the V3 booklet but from what I remember of reading it the stuff removed was just enough to annoy me about having spent money specifically gathering the relevant teams that no longer existed.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

lilljonas posted:

What I’ve learnt from my better, more experienced Saga players around here is that large circular bases for stuff on horses looks good, but is a pain in the rear end game-play wise.

E: as in one friend going through the hassle of rebasing all his cavalry after a few games because wider bases on cav sucks.

Yeah this is why I'm having second thoughts, and why I'm definitely not doing it for the generic troops. Maybe just sticking to oval bases for both warlords and heroes?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Arquinsiel posted:

I'd hope that's what sixth and maimed got sold, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he got something more appropriate for the Triumvirates.

True - if you aren't into the era it's easy to just get something that's just "Roman" without knowing which era it is specifically intended to works for.

That said, if you aren't too picky it's probably fine, especially if you're just getting started. If you're playing Punic Wars/Saga Age of Hannibal just say "these guys are Principes, those are Hastati" or whatever.

It also works the other way to an extent. There are plenty of rules that are ostensibly for later periods; Too Fat Lardies' game Infamy, Infamy, for example, is about Romans vs. Barbarians, especially in Caesar's Gallic Campaigns. If you aren't too concerned about exact details you could use Punic Wars era Romans, especially the Principes, as legionaries.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah this is why I'm having second thoughts, and why I'm definitely not doing it for the generic troops. Maybe just sticking to oval bases for both warlords and heroes?

I think so, the pro gamer route is probably to squeeze them in on as thin and short bases as practically possible (and allowed), the realistic option is to at least go for something rather thin rectangular (like 25x50) or a pill or oval type of base.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

lenoon posted:

The ubiquitous go-to is usually osprey for these things - they have a LOT of Punic war books that will give you all the info you’re looking for.

Will do! I like reading about the Roman Republic so this won't be a chore. :)

alg posted:

As mentioned, Ospreys should help. When you order your LBMS, just make sure you get the right transfers for your manufacturer. Some of them are under old manufacturers - like some Warlord stuff is in there as Saxon miniatures. The owner responds pretty quickly to questions so it is worth asking since they are across the pond and shipping takes a long time.

Pro tip, thank you! I've ordered my first set of Romans from Gripping Beast themselves, but I'll double check with the owner to make sure. They're just across the channel from me so less of a lead time, but unusable transfers are still unusable.

Cessna posted:

There's very little real info and a lot of speculation. Archaeology for the Punic Wars is has significant gaps (i.e., we don't have a single Roman sword from the era, so we don't know for sure what kind of sword they used). There are some references to colors in primary sources (Livy mentions what color feathers they wore on their helmets) but nothing about tunics or designs on shields. We can reconstruct some things by inference and/or by learning what was used much later and projecting backwards, but again, there's nothing definitive.

Personally I paint my Romans with red tunics and Allied legions with white/tan (unbleached) tunics. There's no evidence whatsoever that they did this, but it looks good.

(Also, if you're okay with metal miniatures, Aventine's Romans and Carthaginians are outstanding.)

Osprey books are pretty good, but they're speculating as much as anyone else due to lack of real evidence; as such, don't take them as fact. Personally I think they present an unrealistic perspective - for example, I seriously doubt that any Romans had tunics bleached as clean as these:

And, more seriously, (a) Livy also mentions purple feathers (they weren't all black) (b) the wolf-headdress is mentioned, but there's zero evidence of the wolf insignia on the shields, etc, etc. The point is, you can pretty much paint what you think looks right (within reason) and no one can tell you you're wrong.

Edit: And Carthage is even worse, we have even less info on what they wore, for obvious reasons.

Edit to add: If you're interested in Punic Wars era skirmish games also check out Clash of Spears, it's quite good.

Good feedback, thank you! And I'll definitely check out Aventine.

Arquinsiel posted:

This thread is making me wish I had my stack of FoW core books nearby so I could check all the rules I half-remember, but on the other hand I am also glad that I have given up on that game and don't need the hefty rulebooks anymore.

Well the first thing to nail down is are your Republican Romans pre- or post-Marian Reform? The Maniple system breaks down really nicely for Saga and will give you good variety for each unit type, but the Cohort system is a bit more "every point buys you a unit of Warriors".

For my first set, I just ordered the "Republican Roman Army set" from the Saga distributor in the UK, Gripping Beast. Almost impossible to make out details, so no idea how period correct they are.

Cessna posted:

True - if you aren't into the era it's easy to just get something that's just "Roman" without knowing which era it is specifically intended to works for.

That said, if you aren't too picky it's probably fine, especially if you're just getting started. If you're playing Punic Wars/Saga Age of Hannibal just say "these guys are Principes, those are Hastati" or whatever.

It also works the other way to an extent. There are plenty of rules that are ostensibly for later periods; Too Fat Lardies' game Infamy, Infamy, for example, is about Romans vs. Barbarians, especially in Caesar's Gallic Campaigns. If you aren't too concerned about exact details you could use Punic Wars era Romans, especially the Principes, as legionaries.

At the moment, my main objective is to get an army to start playing. It's only after buying the standard set, I started thinking about the painting scheme and not screwing that up completely. Reading the replies here has given me at least some other vendors to look into for getting decent miniatures for other armies for SAGA.

Thanks to everyone for replying!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

sixth and maimed posted:

At the moment, my main objective is to get an army to start playing. It's only after buying the standard set, I started thinking about the painting scheme and not screwing that up completely. Reading the replies here has given me at least some other vendors to look into for getting decent miniatures for other armies for SAGA.

Thanks to everyone for replying!

The good (or bad) thing of ancients is that we know little about how quite a lot of armies dressed or were equipped, or even how they fought. There's a big debate now on how even hoplites fought, and that's from one of cultures we have lots of written sources from. And with all that, what colours people wore are so far down the barrel of things we don't know that you really don't need to stress it too hard.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

sixth and maimed posted:

I posted this to the A/T ancient history thread first, but was referred to this thread (following this one from now on).

I was hoping the thread could help me with something: I recently played a game of "Saga: Age of Hannibal" and really liked it. As a result, I've ordered the Republican Romans as my first army. I was hoping the thread could point me in the direction of some resources to how the Roman legionaries from that time period were kitted out. It would be too much to hope the miniatures are completely time period correct, but I can at least try to get the colors and markings correct. I searched the tread for anything SAGA-related but nothing relevant came up. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I did come across a mention of Little Big Men Studios and their shield decals which look pretty dope, imo.

Aside from the usual Ospreys, another good place to look would be older issues of Ancient Warfare magazine (https://www.karwansaraypublishers.com/en-gb/pages/ancient-warfare) focused on the Punic Wars/mid-Republican Roman armies. They have a lot of good articles on reconstructing soldiers and often hire good artists to produce a few pieces per issue.

The vast majority of info on the appearance and armament of Roman troops from this period comes from two sections of Polybios' Histories, a Greek text written in the 2nd c. BC. These are 6.22-3:

quote:

6.22: The youngest soldiers or velites are ordered to carry a sword, spears, and target (parma). The target is strongly made, and large enough to protect the man; being round, with a diameter of three feet. Each man also wears a headpiece without a crest (galea), which he sometimes covers with a piece of wolfs skin or something of that kind, for the sake both of protection and identification and so that the officers of his company may be able to observe whether he shows courage or the reverse on confronting dangers. The spear of the velites has a wooden haft of about two cubits, and about a finger's breadth in thickness; its head is a span long, hammered fine, and sharpened to such an extent that it becomes bent the first time it strikes, and cannot be used by the enemy to hurl back; otherwise the weapon would be available for both sides alike.

6.23: The second rank, the Hastati, are ordered to have the complete panoply. This to a Roman means, first, a large shield (scutum), the surface of which is curved outwards, its breadth two and a half feet, its length four feet,—though there is also an extra sized shield in which these measures are increased by a palm's breadth. It consists of two layers of wood fastened together with bull's-hide glue; the outer surface of which is first covered with canvas, then with calf's skin, on the upper and lower edges it is bound with iron to resist the downward strokes of the sword, and the wear of resting upon the ground. Upon it also is fixed an iron boss (umbo), to resist the more formidable blows of stones and pikes, and of heavy missiles generally. With the shield they also carry a sword (gladius) hanging down by their right thigh, which is called a Spanish sword. It has an excellent point, and can deal a formidable blow with either edge, because its blade is stout and unbending. In addition to these they have two pila, a bronze helmet, and greaves. Some of the pila are thick, some fine. Of the thicker, some are round with the diameter of a palm's length, others are a palm square. The fine pila are like moderate sized hunting spears, and they are carried along with the former sort. The wooden haft of them all is about three cubits long; and the iron head fixed to each half is barbed, and of the same length as the haft. They take extraordinary pains to attach the head to the haft firmly; they make the fastening of the one to the other so secure for use by binding it half way up the wood, and riveting it with a series of clasps, that the iron breaks sooner than this fastening comes loose, although its thickness at the socket and where it is fastened to the wood is a finger and a half's breadth. Besides these each man is decorated with a plume of feathers, with three purple or black feathers standing upright, about a cubit long. The effect of these being placed on the helmet, combined with the rest of the armour, is to give the man the appearance of being twice his real height, and to give him a noble aspect calculated to strike terror into the enemy. The common soldiers also receive a bronze plate, a span square, which they put upon their breast and call a breastpiece (pectorale), and so complete their panoply. Those who are rated above a hundred thousand asses instead of these breastpieces wear, with the rest of their armour, coats of mail (loricae). The Principes and Triarii are armed in the same way as the Hastati, except that instead of pila they carry long spears (hastae).

95% of the reconstructions of Punic War-era Romans you see are taken directly from these passages; much of the rest of what we know comes from other scattered literary references and archaeological evidence, but much of it is actually kind of hard to square with Polybios' description, so it usually gets ignored. There is basically zero evidence for clothing colors, btw, and little reason to think that anything approximating a uniform was worn; troops probably mostly just wore their own clothing most of the time, so knock yourself out.

In terms of historical accuracy, Victrix's plastic line is pretty good, even though some of the models are uglier and chunkier than their later offerings (like the Hellenistic troops). In addition to Aventine's line, I personally really like Agema's models, which are the most historically accurate out there IMO, though some people don't like their more realistic proportions. They make an excellent and extremely cheap plastic kit that is basically a legion in a box, with 56 minis including hastati, principles, triarii, and velites.

quote:

It does seem a bit off to have skirmishing units of, say, Triarii and Velites in the same fight together, but, hey, it's a game.

This probably happened all the time. We hear of lots of incidents of Romans being attacked while setting up camp or gathering resources and scrambling to send out whatever troops are nearby to skirmish with the enemy.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Heading to Salute 2023 this weekend - anything I should keep my eyes open for?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Southern Heel posted:

What a Cowboy should be there I think

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

MeinPanzer posted:

This probably happened all the time. We hear of lots of incidents of Romans being attacked while setting up camp or gathering resources and scrambling to send out whatever troops are nearby to skirmish with the enemy.

One thing I like about Clash of Spears is that it doesn't try to "miniaturize" a larger battle into a skirmish (i.e., try to set up a triplex acies with 30 models) like many other wargames. Instead the scenarios are the sort of thing that smaller groups of troops would do, like "stop the enemy foragers" or "pre-battle scouting."

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

sixth and maimed posted:

For my first set, I just ordered the "Republican Roman Army set" from the Saga distributor in the UK, Gripping Beast. Almost impossible to make out details, so no idea how period correct they are.
They're pre-Marian so as far as any of us know you are golden.

Southern Heel posted:

Me?

I intend to try see what that 6mm Orc attack on Marienburg is all about, and otherwise do some small shopping.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
Goonhammer Historicals posted a really good article they call "nailing their colors to the mast" in response to an April Wargames Illustrated piece that included a quote from John Stallard about how "wokism" is killing the hobby.

https://www.goonhammer.com/goonhammer-historicals-historicals-in-modernity/

This is all stuff we've talked about here, but I really like it because it's a great affirmative argument - it calls out some of the obvious bullshit and refutes the argument behind the critique of woke, but it goes farther to make an actual positive argument about why wargaming needs to think through issues around what it means to play historically fraught eras and how to be more inclusive, and ends with commitments they're making. I don't think it's going to move any of the grogs, but I think it may get people curious about historicals but icked out by their reputation to take another look.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
A brilliant article! Gonna pass it around everywhere I can.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

It's probably a coincidence that the captcha I got when signing in was "Select all the pictures with stairs in them".

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Here's possibly a dumb question, but are there any ruleset that cover small-scale, skirmish battles? I'm talking on the scale of Kill Team or Frostgrave/Stargrave - like 10-20 dudes on a side, and on a 3'x3' max table.

That just seems to be the size game that I can get into.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Cthulu Carl posted:

Here's possibly a dumb question, but are there any ruleset that cover small-scale, skirmish battles? I'm talking on the scale of Kill Team or Frostgrave/Stargrave - like 10-20 dudes on a side, and on a 3'x3' max table.

That just seems to be the size game that I can get into.

Plenty of them!

Which era are you looking for?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

3 Action Economist posted:

Plenty of them!

Which era are you looking for?

Literally any.

Like, I have Silver Bayonet and and thinking of getting The Last War so I've been looking for good Napoleonic and WWI models, but the way my idiot brain works, you could probably throw any ruleset at me and I'll be like "Oh neat! Can't wait to paint vikings/SAS/cavemen/samurai/warships!"

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Well my favorite is Muskets & Tomahawks, which is (naturally) a skirmish game in the era of muskets. There are supplements for more specific eras (like the AWI).

There's also Sharpe Practice for Napoleonics specifically.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I was going to suggest Saga but that's more 50 models or so

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Nordic Weasel started out there - Five Men in Normady/At Kursk and so on.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The thing about skirmish gaming is the really good ones build the rules to present the combat they're representing in a really thematically interesting way, so to meaningfully pick one you kind of need to have at least some idea of what kind of toys you want to put on the table.

3 Action Economist posted:

A brilliant article! Gonna pass it around everywhere I can.
Not an emptyquote.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

spectralent posted:

Nordic Weasel started out there - Five Men in Normady/At Kursk and so on.

I have 5 Parsecs and 5 Leagues like 5 feet away and still forgot about Nordic Weasel. :negative:

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

I was going to suggest Saga but that's more 50 models or so

If you go all hearthguard you can field a force with like 25 models.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Notahippie posted:

Goonhammer Historicals posted a really good article they call "nailing their colors to the mast" in response to an April Wargames Illustrated piece that included a quote from John Stallard about how "wokism" is killing the hobby.

https://www.goonhammer.com/goonhammer-historicals-historicals-in-modernity/

This is all stuff we've talked about here, but I really like it because it's a great affirmative argument - it calls out some of the obvious bullshit and refutes the argument behind the critique of woke, but it goes farther to make an actual positive argument about why wargaming needs to think through issues around what it means to play historically fraught eras and how to be more inclusive, and ends with commitments they're making. I don't think it's going to move any of the grogs, but I think it may get people curious about historicals but icked out by their reputation to take another look.

Thank you! Exactly the vibe we wanted to go for, call out the issues but present an alternative vision instead. Now we just need to deliver on that vision!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Salute 50 was fantastic - some really lovely miniatures and games on show. I took a few photos but not many, I spent most of my time bouncing around like a butterfly between exciting new armies, scales, and game systems. By the end I felt i was fairly conservative in my choices:

Continuing the Pendraken theme I bought into a British Peninsular Napoleonic army - after seeing the figures on display my 2mm, while functional, just doesn't have the 'wow' factor I'm hoping for. I had considered going 28mm for Sharpe Practise but I really do want to continue to feel my way around 10mm. I also was completely overawed by the new edition of Lion Rampant so impulse bought some late Hundred Years War figures. As a nod, I got a bit of terrain for each.

Wargames Illustrated latest issue has one of the Warlord 3rd Rate ships on the front so I figured it was worth a leaf through - the magazine was excellent and the ship seems nicely done, but the scale seems so bloody off on those large naval/space games I saw, so it may end up as a display piece.

The LARD ZONE was there, I thought this was a nice table:

I found I have a local historical wargaming club - only a few miles away. This is a 15mm East India Company vs Sikh "Rebels" wargame they've played:

A very large scale Dambusters game:

I took some other photos but not really historically related. I enjoyed it a good deal, even if I didn't manage to connect psychically with Arquinsel.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
What are the best solo friendly wargame rules out there? Things with randomized activation, no hidden info, etc.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Southern Heel posted:

I took some other photos but not really historically related. I enjoyed it a good deal, even if I didn't manage to connect psychically with Arquinsel.
If you saw one of the like three people wearing a mask at the event and it wasn't John Kovalic then you probably saw me. I didn't stay too long, ended up leaving at about 1PM. Got myself Tomorrow's War, Last Days Zombie Apocalypse, and The Last Prospector expansion for Stargrave. Picked up some sci-fi figures from site favourite Bad Squiddo Games on a whim to maybe use them for Five Parsecs, Ventriss for Legion, and a few bits and bobs from Warbases. Sadly most of the companies I was interested in buying from didn't bring enough stock of what I wanted to prevent me needing to pay shipping on the rest anyway, or just didn't show up at all, so I ended up not spending much money compared to what I feared.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Count Thrashula posted:

What are the best solo friendly wargame rules out there? Things with randomized activation, no hidden info, etc.

Are you wanting specific genres? As mentioned earlier in the thread NordicWeasel's 5 Parsecs/Leagues/Klicks are all designed as solo games.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Oh, Battlefront :allears: https://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=53&art_id=7696

There are probably more Panthers in this list than the Clausewitz Division had in real life.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
With the addition of other means! WITH THE ADDITION OF.

God, it's a small change but it's so significant and it drives me insane everyone misquotes it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Holy poo poo that article is terrible. It's like they made a bunch of edits to improve it and just included both versions :psyduck:

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 23, 2023

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Southern Heel posted:

A very large scale Dambusters game:

...why does he have a control yoke.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Arquinsiel posted:

Holy poo poo that article is terrible. It's like they made a bunch of edits to improve it and just included both versions :psyduck:

Not to mention that they several times talk about how elite/high quality the division was, but their record appears to be getting wrecked in every engagement and then reorganizing as an even more hosed up remnant.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Notahippie posted:

Not to mention that they several times talk about how elite/high quality the division was, but their record appears to be getting wrecked in every engagement and then reorganizing as an even more hosed up remnant.

That's par for the course when it comes to how Battlefront views the Wehrmacht

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Comstar posted:

...why does he have a control yoke.

I dunno the rules, but I bet if it had mechanics for working the controls instead of just moving (Like how Gaslands hands gears), some kind of visual aid to show those setting would be good.

And even if not, why NOT have a control yoke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Endman posted:

Oh, Battlefront :allears: https://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=53&art_id=7696

There are probably more Panthers in this list than the Clausewitz Division had in real life.

I have just played against my friend who was using Germans out of the new Berlin book. I get that it's a game, but the overwhelming 'point' of the newer options seems to be to field a shitload of late war German tech (because it's cheaper on account of the discount given for being poorly trained and motivated). Which is kind of thematically the opposite of my understanding of the battle of Berlin, ie the Nazis were outmatched in every way, overwhelming numbers, better training, better operational planning. It conjures up the image of the victors approaching the last pockets of resistance only to have a horde of Panthers and Tigers unleashed on them!

I'm not sure where BF games sit on the chud scale, but I am aware some of their stuff subscribes to the (disputed if not outright debunked) idea that the Wehrmacht were qualitatively the best army in the war one-for-one. Whereas the Russians have mass conscript attacks, kept going by their Commissars (which again has largely been debunked as not their normal practice).

I guess I have heard FoW described as not a very serious historical WW2 game, but the game of the film of WW2. At the same time, I think the rules are by and large very good for recreating basic real life tactics.