Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I was always lukewarm on dungeons and got sick of them after Twilight Princess but I never stopped loving the overworlds (except for, again, Twilight Princess)

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

https://youtu.be/eaDeTV-LLYA

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

How did you find footage of my BoTW playthrough?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I''m another one whose not really a big dungeon person, but I did really enjoy some like Ice Yeti Mansion and the ship from Skyward Sword so maybe I just prefer when they have a bit more furnishing then just being a dungeon?

I loved me some Hyrule Castle in BoTW, hoping they bring that good energy to whatever is cooking here in Tears.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

LividLiquid posted:

Okay? You're allowed to find different things fun than I do.

You're right, but I also find your takes perplexing, because plenty of games have better stories and overworlds than Zelda (except BotW on the overworld front) and the thing that makes Zelda Zelda is the puzzle-box dungeons. So yeah, enjoy what you enjoy, but I'm surprised you gravitate towards this series in particular given your stated preferences.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Caidin posted:

I loved me some Hyrule Castle in BoTW, hoping they bring that good energy to whatever is cooking here in Tears.

Hyrule Castle in BoTW felt like the dev team were doing their best Dark Souls riff. I don't think they entirely succeeded, but I am glad it exists and I hope they iterate on it in some way in the new game.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

keep thinking I need to find a horse but the ones near the dueling peaks stables kept bucking me off and I haven't found any since

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I like the sound of torches crackling with a cavey echo.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

Hyrule Castle in BoTW felt like the dev team were doing their best Dark Souls riff. I don't think they entirely succeeded, but I am glad it exists and I hope they iterate on it in some way in the new game.

It had a very open ended approach much like the rest game I appreciated. Do you wanna charge the front gate like a badass? Fine. You wanna go in from underneath by this cave excavation? Sure. Secret passsages, climb the walls like a monkey, fly in a log like Mercenary Tao, get on top of the giant pillars and air drop in! It was neat, and there was a lot to poke around in there that cool to find like the journals and treasure.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

LividLiquid posted:

Okay? You're allowed to find different things fun than I do.

disagree

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
In this thread we believe in Democratic Centralism and everyone needs to stick to the line once the debate has been settled.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Mark me as someone who loves exploring areas in Zelda games but really hates solving puzzles in dungeons.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I like the overworld and the dungeons

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I like Zelda games

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

I have no dislike towards traditional Zelda dungeons but I think BOTW did the right thing by not featuring any but replacing them with a bunch of micro- and mini-dungeons and focusing on overworld exploration instead. That served this particular game well.

I wouldn't mind seeing some traditional dungeons again in TOTK, but at this point I trust the devs regardless.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Caidin posted:

get on top of the giant pillars and air drop in!

This is what I did, but not for any strategic reason - I just walked up, saw the gaping chasm between me and the castle, and figured that was just how you got in and there was no main gate without looking for one :lol:

Between that and Zora-ing up the waterfalls I skipped probably 2/3rds of the castle my first time playing it, glad I went back later to properly explore

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I like exploring Zelda overworlds, but by God do they like making them vectors for especially unfun traversal mechanics and minigame gimmicks. I could tolerate the boat in Phantom Hourglass, I could tolerate the train in Spirit Tracks, but gently caress the Tears of Light bits in Skyward Sword, the Eldin forced stealth section is what made me give up on that game

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Majora’s Mask makes exploring the inside of the castle fun since it stops aggro of everything in there other than Guardians and Lynels.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Albatrossy_Rodent posted:

You're right, but I also find your takes perplexing, because plenty of games have better stories and overworlds than Zelda (except BotW on the overworld front) and the thing that makes Zelda Zelda is the puzzle-box dungeons. So yeah, enjoy what you enjoy, but I'm surprised you gravitate towards this series in particular given your stated preferences.
The overworld parts of Zelda are just that good. I don't know what to tell you.

The series perfectly encapsulates the feeling of leaving your house after your Saturday morning cartoons all excited about an entire weekend to do with as you please, heading into the woods, and swinging a stick around like a sword as you explore and adventure. It's a childhood imagination simulator.

When the dungeons feel like an extension of that, I like them, and when they feel completely disconnected from the adventure, it feels like they're making me stop the thing I was enjoying. All they need to do to get me on board is either let me tackle them in any order at (within reason) any time, or failing that, take out the loading screens and everything else that makes them feel like a video game level. Preferably both.

But another way they can make them enjoyable is by connecting them to the story of the world. The history. The lore. Something. The Forest Temple is a great example of this and I adore it. But when they're just a bunch of puzzle rooms (why are they there? Who made these puzzles? Why did they make them?) There's nothing to sink my teeth into. It's just video game poo poo, and the rest of the gameplay is far more interesting to me.

Another piece of this is that I may enjoy them the first time through just fine, but they're what makes me avoid replaying a lot of the games as often as I'd like to. They just get in the way of what I want to actually do. I already solved those puzzles. Even when I try like hell to meet you all where you live on this topic, I can only do it once.

Hope that helps you understand.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 21, 2023

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

When the dungeons feel like an extension of that, I like them, and when they feel completely disconnected from the adventure, it feels like they're making me stop the thing I was enjoying. All they need to do to get me on board is either let me tackle them in any order at (within reason) any time, or failing that, take out the loading screens and everything else that makes them feel like a video game level. Preferably both.

Y’know, this got me thinking - in the gameplay trailer we saw icons for caves on the minimap, and they were presented in such a way that suggested that they’d be replacing shrines. We also saw Aonuma go into one of said caves with no loading screen or pause of any kind.

Since shrines were supposed to be mini-dungeons, this kinda makes me feel like you’ll at least partially get your wish here, with the caves being seamless mini-dungeons in TotK. I certainly hope so!

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

LividLiquid posted:

The series perfectly encapsulates the feeling of leaving your house after your Saturday morning cartoons all excited about an entire weekend to do with as you please, heading into the woods, and swinging a stick around like a sword as you explore and adventure. It's a childhood imagination simulator.

But another way they can make them enjoyable is by connecting them to the story of the world. The history. The lore. Something. The Forest Temple is a great example of this and I adore it. But when they're just a bunch of puzzle rooms (why are they there? Who made these puzzles? Why did they make them?) There's nothing to sink my teeth into. It's just video game poo poo, and the rest of the gameplay is far more interesting to me.

Another piece of this is that I may enjoy them the first time through just fine, but they're what makes me avoid replaying a lot of the games as often as I'd like to. They just get in the way of what I want to actually do. I already solved those puzzles. Even when I try like hell to meet you all where you live on this topic, I can only do it once.

Hope that helps you understand.

It does, actually, and I'm glad you replied.

For me, the overworld sections often don't give me enough information about what me goal is, and I find myself confused as to what to do next (not BotW, obviously, the aimlessness is often the point of that one). So when I'm fighting enemies and poo poo, I often end up frustrated because I don't know if the thing I'm moving towards is a dead end. The dungeons, however, generally have a clear goal, and (with few exceptions) you don't need to leave a dungeon once you enter. The dungeon is the entire universe until you complete it, so figure out how it works.

I agree with you on the story/lore stuff to a point. The Ancient Cistern in SS is my favorite dungeon precisely because it has a story within it. Not a deep one, but the realization that beautiful Buddhist temple is built on top of Actual Hell is great. But if there is no story, I am more than content with vibes. Who made these puzzles and why? People did, because they were born into a puzzle-based universe. If you had an incredibly powerful microscope, you'd discover that the atoms that make up Hyrule have locks and switches. It's just what Hyrule is.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I actually like it when dungeons (and equivalent) are separate and distinct. There's a sort of "language" used by designers in how they craft dungeons and puzzles, and the best ones feel as if you're to interpret what the designer is trying to tell you. Story justification or no, they're meant to be these little puzzle boxes you tinker and toy with, knowing that there is a right answer, and you just need to figure it out

After awhile you can enter a room for the first time and just sort of instinctively know which way is the intended direction, which way probably leads to optional chests, which mysterious buttons and doodads can be ignored until later, etc. It's a cool feeling, like you're in sync with the creators

It's a completely different skillset to design an open puzzle that can be approached from multiple directions and solved in ways the designer never expected. Similarly, it's a much different feeling when you solve that kind of puzzle, more of a "Ah, that worked? How clever!" as opposed to "Aha! I figured it out, I'm the smartest Hylian alive!"

Both are great feelings and I love that Zelda prioritizes giving us heaping scoops of both. Each game just changes up the ratio a bit

and to be clear LividLiquid, you can obviously enjoy the game however you want, nobody actually is challenging you and you definitely don't need to justify yourself. Most gamers don't even bother analyzing why a game does or doesn't work for them, and it's cool that you are really keyed into yourself like that

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I’m 38 so A Link to the Past was a big game in my childhood (I was too young to be good at 1 or 2 but certainly remember playing them) and from there on out a lot of it is just watching how that series evolves and where they take that lore that had an early impression on me.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

A good Zelda dungeon should have the same appeal as a good Metroidvania, which is the same combination of mild frustration and zen-like detached concentration as untangling knotted Christmas tree lights. Really it's a hyper-concentrated version of the sensation a good overworld gives you, a sense of blind bumbling around slowly giving way to growing familiarity and comprehension as you bounce back and forth from one bit of progress to the next.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2xnqCc1g74

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Vitamean posted:

keep thinking I need to find a horse but the ones near the dueling peaks stables kept bucking me off and I haven't found any since

Ice arrows and stamina food.

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
Anyone else holding out hope that we go to the moon a la Majora's Mask in a really trippy final level/secret area?

I'd love to see an appearance from the skullkid.

Speaking of skulls, a couple skulltula houses would be amazing as well.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I don't like the horses in this game at all, I also ignore them most of the time. The master cycle is way better, and looks rad as hell bringing it into the final boss fight.

Wtf I didn't even think about summoning the bike. I ended up just running around on foot and taking the last shot with Revali's Gale.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Did you ever crawl around inside of drainage tunnels, ditches, weird pipes, crawl in the storm drains or anything? Dungeons give me that childhood feeling of exploring a dark, mysterious, forbidden, dangerous place you have to lie to your mom and say you got wet and filthy some other way.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
I really like being able to explore places that feel hidden and enclosed, like dungeons or deep forests and things. The feeling of finding secret places is helped by the presence of the populated, open areas of the overworld.

BOTW didn't have that vibe as much for me. Basically everything was exposed out to the sky so fewer places felt like hidden mysteries that I was finding my way into or through. The Shrines were too much of an abstracted environment that felt separate from the rest of the world instead of a part of it. The Korok Forest, the permanently dark shadow place north of it and the Forgotten Temple did have the vibes.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Tokelau All Star posted:

Wtf I didn't even think about summoning the bike. I ended up just running around on foot and taking the last shot with Revali's Gale.

It's great, rolling around and doing tricks around a giant neon monster adds a whole new feel to the fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmDoZ0dRqKg&t=92s

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Asterite34 posted:

A good Zelda dungeon should have the same appeal as a good Metroidvania, which is the same combination of mild frustration and zen-like detached concentration as untangling knotted Christmas tree lights. Really it's a hyper-concentrated version of the sensation a good overworld gives you, a sense of blind bumbling around slowly giving way to growing familiarity and comprehension as you bounce back and forth from one bit of progress to the next.
I can get behind this.

Khanstant posted:

Did you ever crawl around inside of drainage tunnels, ditches, weird pipes, crawl in the storm drains or anything? Dungeons give me that childhood feeling of exploring a dark, mysterious, forbidden, dangerous place you have to lie to your mom and say you got wet and filthy some other way.
The ones I like absolutely give me this feeling.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shiroc posted:

I really like being able to explore places that feel hidden and enclosed, like dungeons or deep forests and things. The feeling of finding secret places is helped by the presence of the populated, open areas of the overworld.

BOTW didn't have that vibe as much for me. Basically everything was exposed out to the sky so fewer places felt like hidden mysteries that I was finding my way into or through. The Shrines were too much of an abstracted environment that felt separate from the rest of the world instead of a part of it. The Korok Forest, the permanently dark shadow place north of it and the Forgotten Temple did have the vibes.

This is basically what I was talking about when I mentioned looking forward to the caves in TotK. I like the idea of finding holes to go down and seeing where they lead and hope that TotK has a lot of things like this (since we still don't have a very strong grasp of how the caves/underworld stuff will work).

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

Runcible Cat posted:

lmao wtf, even if it doesn't hurt them (and I recognize that they are, in fact, not real) I could never do that

just sneak up on them and bash Soothe like it's a Mario Party minigame. Every press is counted, even if it doesn't play a sound or animation

The Ganondorf horse has the highest to-catch stamina (30 presses) and he can be grabbed with just one Stamina upgrade, everything else can be done from the start

Gwely Mernans posted:

Anyone else holding out hope that we go to the moon a la Majora's Mask in a really trippy final level/secret area?

brother, I am so convinced this is going to happen I'd bet money on it if I could

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Runcible Cat posted:

i'm like two divine beasts and an extra stamina circle separated from this event the main issue is I haven't run across any horses since that time

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Khanstant posted:

All the loving time, I used to adventure in the crawlspace underneath one of the houses I lived in as a kid even though my mom hated it, but those were my Zelda Dungeons.

I did that a lot until I found my the body of cat and her litter of kittens under there and it hosed me up royally because some piece of poo poo intentionally poisoned them. :smith:

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Gwely Mernans posted:

I'd love to see an appearance from the skullkid.

Speaking of skulls, a couple skulltula houses would be amazing as well.

When BOTW came out I kept saying "I wish we had gotten sky islands that lead up to the moon" and, well, we're halfway there already.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Shiroc posted:

In this thread we believe in Democratic Centralism and everyone needs to stick to the line once the debate has been settled.

“I never agreed to that.” I say, as I shoulder my hammer, the goalposts flickering red next to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Three weeks to go holy poo poo