Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
My tts philosophy is that I’m fine playing a game so long as someone I’m playing with owns the physical copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I don't like to do the TTS version because it doesn't have full rules enforcement and there's too many edge cases and things not covered by FAQ/errata that I have to wind up guessing at and it's too easy to miss little stuff. I like the steam app, but it's a shame it doesn't have all the content.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I forget, are they allowed to put the Horizon spirits on the Steam app? I feel like they aren't but I also think it'd be a good DLC, like "oh yeah we're obviously already working on it" good.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Ragnar34 posted:

I forget, are they allowed to put the Horizon spirits on the Steam app? I feel like they aren't but I also think it'd be a good DLC, like "oh yeah we're obviously already working on it" good.

They've announced that they're working on it for release this year. (Jagged Earth is also in development but has a lot more stuff to implement.)

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I wonder what the difficulty modifier is for playing Mud against England :v: Gotta be minimally -3, lmao

Never won a game more comfortably. No city ever built, not one blight, both tracks fully revealed by end of game (T2 Win). Against Level 3 England. In fairness the game was made even easier just by the order of invader cards - first Explore into Wetlands (where I have a starting shrine) (on board B so G2 takes care of the adjacent Wetlands build), second Explore into Jungle. Third explore (Level 3 invader card) goes to Jungle/Wetland. Hilarious

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
One you get good at the game up through 4 of any adversary should be beatable 100% of the time.

I find some spirits become unreliable and heavily dependent on the fear and event deck once you push difficulty 8.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Meanwhile the other day I got owned by Hapsburg level 2 with Starlight, possibly because I decided Savage Transformation and Call of the Dahan Ways would be some kind of... combo? I don't remember what I was thinking except that the elements matched and Starlight's animal build is very solid in my experience.

I always want Call of the Dahan Ways to have more of an impact than it does. Maybe I should just get it out of my system and play a round of Downpour with that card right on top of the minor deck.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

KPC_Mammon posted:

One you get good at the game up through 4 of any adversary should be beatable 100% of the time.

Not if I'm stubborn enough! Kept faceplanting as Sharp Fangs against France and Prussia because I wanted so badly to make bottom track work out. I also did only just learn that I was misplaying his first innate, thinking I had to meet the second level threshold before activating the level 3, so it was a smidge harder than necessary. Playing that correctly I think will mitigate bottom track problems a bit, but still I think full top track is always gonna be the star.

I'm also very bad with Vital Strength at any difficulty. Gotta figure him out. I could go up in difficulty for like Ocean's, Thunderspeaker, Rampant Green, Keeper whenever I play them next though. Probably BoDaN as well, who's produced a clean sweep victory for me every time so far.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I bottom out at France 2+ more than I win because I do not adjust any of my strategies which involve playing the long game with no consideration for how many towns are on the board.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Not if I'm stubborn enough! Kept faceplanting as Sharp Fangs against France and Prussia because I wanted so badly to make bottom track work out. I also did only just learn that I was misplaying his first innate, thinking I had to meet the second level threshold before activating the level 3, so it was a smidge harder than necessary. Playing that correctly I think will mitigate bottom track problems a bit, but still I think full top track is always gonna be the star.

I'm also very bad with Vital Strength at any difficulty. Gotta figure him out. I could go up in difficulty for like Ocean's, Thunderspeaker, Rampant Green, Keeper whenever I play them next though. Probably BoDaN as well, who's produced a clean sweep victory for me every time so far.

Basic strategy for vital earth:
1. Your recovery gives you growth too, so there isn't that much opportunity cost to recovering when you still have cards in hand. Looping one or two good majors is probably your endgame, so remember to keep fishing.
2. The bottom track gives you a lot less bang for your buck than the top, clearly. I suggest getting 2 plays and 3-4 energy asap, then 6 energy, then you het to choose between 3 plays or maxing energy, depending on what your majors look like.
3. The innate is a niche tool at best unless you're using that one aspect. I usually ignore it completely, to be honest. That said, Draw of the Fuitful Earth + Rituals of Destruction will trigger the first step of your innate, a good aggressive move if you have a turn to breathe plus 4/2 on the growth track. So turn 3 at the earliest or more likely turn 4. Something to aim for.
4. Vital Earth is one of the weakest spirits in the game, so you probably upped the difficulty a bit by picking it. Half a point maybe. I might just be telling myself that though.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Well, I got interested in this through the recent LP, and now I'll probably soon start a run of that Legacy version with a friend of mine.

A probably not particularly original observation: Rampant Green + Serpent is an extraordinarily pleasant experience. Especially when getting the opportunity to earn the final Fear card with a 31-energy-boosted Unleash a Torrent of the Self's Own Essence, right after raising a whole new island segment out of the sea just for emphasis.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Best ending I ever had: Two players, each playing two spirits.

Other player chased most of the remaining invaders into one board with their spirits. Lots and lots of pushing.

One of my spirits raised a whole new island segment. The other then sank the one containing the remaining invaders.

Earned us a Fear 3 victory.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

Earned us a Fear 3 victory.
I can imagine that the three survivors clinging on to pieces of driftwood were somewhat spooked.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Here is how I play Vital Strength of Earth and make amazingly good use of the innate:

Baseline Strategy for quick fear, damage, and build prevention.

Turn 1

Growth 3, Plays

Draw of the Fruitful Earth (3 energy reserve)

Turn 2

Growth 1, Plays

Draw of the Fruitful Earth, Rituals of Destruction, Gift of Strength (1 energy reserve)

Turn 3

Growth 1, Energy

Draw of the Fruitful Earth, Rituals of Destruction, Gift of Strength (0 energy reserve)

Turn 4

Growth 1, Energy

Draw of the Fruitful Earth, Rituals of Destruction, Gift of Strength (0 energy reserve)

Making a sacred site, turn 3+

Growth 2, Energy until 4/turn, Minor Power

Random Minor, Guard the Healing Land or A Year of Perfect Stillness

Only do this if you absolutely need the defense + blight removal or invader skip. Guard the Healing Land is only worthwhile if it prevents a blight cascade or allows Dahan to counterattack. A Year of Perfect Stillness is highly situational and usually worse than allowing a build or ravage and using the Ritual of Destruction Combo.

The goal is to draw of the fruitful earth twice to setup huge rituals of destructions and prevent builds.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Just took my most brutal loss yet.

Playing Keeper against Sweden 4. I set everything up such that two lands would blight during the next ravage, each adding just one blight. Dahan were set up to clean up after the ravages (two towns and a city) in two lands, one blighting and one not blighting.

Then I drew the Event card. Stage 2, Increasing Aggression. Invaders do +1 damage per land when Ravaging.

See I had set up every single land with zero margin. The land that was gonna blight and then have a city get destroyed? It was going to do 5 damage, not six. One extra blight there. The other land that I was letting blight was also ravaging for 5 damage, until the event. Another extra blight there. But wait, there's more. The land I was defending (6) in wasn't going to blight or take out a dahan, but it went from seven damage to eight! So it did add a blight and it took out one of the Dahans.

Two blight turned into five off one event. Four fear turned into three. The game ended before the next invader phase when I realized I had no way of stopping the fat land that was ravaging next - which I also was fine letting ravage on that turn because, again, four is a lot less than seven!!

I actually became emotional about this and couldn't start another game. Extremely not cool.

I did almost immediately discard the event and just play the next one. But I didn't want to meta it like that, on the one hand, and there was a chance that the Fear (T1) card could fix at least one land. Any explorer push card would have spared me one of the three blights and not immediately ended the game. Yeah I drew Plan for Departure, gather a town into a coastal land... the lands they were ravaging in!!

Edit: worth mentioning that the Coastal Lands card was the last of the stage 2 cards. Lol. Lmao

Perry Mason Jar fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 16, 2023

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the downside to having the event deck is that every once in a while you get hosed. At that point I might have just rewinded to see if the next event card would have changed anything, like you said, because honestly did that loss really have anything to do with your decisions? Personally sometimes I try to keep certain events in mind when I play, especially the ones that make ravages more dangerous, but if I don't have the resources for it then I'm not going to fuss about it. And then the card comes up anyway and now there's an infinite blight cascade and oh god.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Ragnar34 posted:

At that point I might have just rewinded to see if the next event card would have changed anything, like you said, because honestly did that loss really have anything to do with your decisions?

It did, unless it was your first time ever seeing that event. It heavily punishes greedy defense optimization. This was clearly an awfully unlucky time to draw it, but it was a possibility and you can reasonably play around it unlike outpaced or other more bullshit events that got removed.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Board B Keeper also meant my only sacred site was on the furthest inland land. I could only manage anything at all because of Winds of Rust and Atrophy's nutty range, haha.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Played a game with Fangs for the first time and heard people say he's kinda janky, but I really enjoyed playing them. Was paired with an Ocean, so the chase card was super good to cast people back into the sea. I eventually managed to draw Pent-Up Calamity and since I had picked up a couple of majors that allowed me to place even more beast tokens down, along with a strife, I was able to clear entire pockets of opponents really easily, along with doing a heck of a lot of fear generation. I've heard there's some issues in the design of Fangs, even if they are super mobile, what are people's thoughts?

Edit: It was a level 3 Prussia as well, so difficulty 6.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I don't like Fangs because a lot of their movements rely on the absence of blight. You yourself can only move beasts in or around blight with a single card, which in my experience is a big pain.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Fangs' only problem was being shipped with B&C. The base game obviously doesn't support its beast-centric gameplay and base+B&C doesn't give a lot of good beast cards/0 cost on-element cards. The spirit itself is perfectly fine, if frustrating to newer/weaker players who might make some mistakes early on and taper off due to its weakness to early blight. If you stick with it, you'll probably find that its issues all make perfect sense : reclaim + gaining a card is well worth 1 energy on a spirit with two growth options and the blight restrictions on its powers are mostly there to rein in its very strong early game. It's my favorite spirit and I can assure you it can beat any level 6 adversary* so don't worry too much about what people say.

*Habsburg 6 is rough but why would you ever willingly play against Habsburg

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Eraflure posted:

Fangs' only problem was being shipped with B&C. The base game obviously doesn't support its beast-centric gameplay and base+B&C doesn't give a lot of good beast cards/0 cost on-element cards. The spirit itself is perfectly fine, if frustrating to newer/weaker players who might make some mistakes early on and taper off due to its weakness to early blight. If you stick with it, you'll probably find that its issues all make perfect sense : reclaim + gaining a card is well worth 1 energy on a spirit with two growth options and the blight restrictions on its powers are mostly there to rein in its very strong early game. It's my favorite spirit and I can assure you it can beat any level 6 adversary* so don't worry too much about what people say.

*Habsburg 6 is rough but why would you ever willingly play against Habsburg

:agreed:

Even in B&C it's playable, you just have to lean more on majors than a lot of players expect (and it sounds like Tekopo did.) The JE minor deck adds so many great cards that bottom track Fangs can get pretty wild too, though.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Pent-Up Calamity should be an insta-win with Fangs if you grab it early. Same with Panthers Prowl. Such fun majors on Fangs, and he's really wanting for good majors (B&C).

I really enjoy him, playing only base + B&C, but falling behind on blight can be such a big black eye that some games are a huge tightrope act.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I really enjoy him, playing only base + B&C, but falling behind on blight can be such a big black eye that some games are a huge tightrope act.

I like this weakness due to how fast and powerful fangs is compared to other spirits. You either go big and win or pretty quickly spiral out of control. In multiplayer the spirit is incredible because you can very quickly deal with the invaders that aren't in blighted lands on your board and then start helping your allies in exchange for some help with your problem areas. It does a good job promoting teamwork much like Ocean or Lure.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Pent-Up Calamity should be an insta-win with Fangs if you grab it early. Same with Panthers Prowl. Such fun majors on Fangs, and he's really wanting for good majors (B&C).

I got Prowling Panthers and Pent-Up Calamity and yeah, it made Fangs into a real powerhouse where I was just flooding the board with Beasts and then using them for a huge amount of damage.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Anyone playing with the naming rule? Optional "rule" that says to rename the Spirit in accordance with how they grew over the course of the (winning) game. I usually just focus on impactful majors, then powers, and name around that. Here's a few:

Type Changes: Bringer of Dreams and Nightmares turned into Dread of the Crashing Waves. (Tsunami)

Ocean's Hungry Grasp became Receding Tide Cracks the Lands. (Winds of Rust and Atrophy)

Keeper of the Forbidden Wilds into Twisted Incarnation of the Murmuring Flowers. (Manifest Incarnation, Flowers Murmur)

Same Type, Level Up: Sun-bright Whirlwind became Violent Cloud Windstorm. (Talons of Lightning)

Sharp Fangs Behind the Leaves evolved into Prowling Panthers Stalk the Brush. (Prowling Panthers)

CHOAM
Mar 13, 2022

My most recent game had an entertaining yet grindy 2 player set of Vengence as a Burning Plague and Stone' Unyielding Defiance, all those damage effects just stack up so great even if you're not getting them actually used every round.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Same Type, Level Up: Sun-bright Whirlwind became Violent Cloud Windstorm. (Talons of Lightning)
Just played with this combo last week and kicking myself for not thinking about the naming thing; it's a neat little play element you can add in. But then I started alternating Talons of Lightning with Poisoned Land (with a blight removal minor in hand), so nothing really would have fit.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Starlight Seeks Its Form became Death, the destroyer of worlds (drafted gift of constancy and gift of power turn 1)

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Something I've really grown to appreciate as I get deeper into the game is the tension between picking a card that's great for my elements and a card that solves problems for me because it does something new. At first I figured 8 elements was way too many for a sensible color pie, and I don't even have a grasp on the mechanics under each element's umbrella yet, but clearly it's there.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Meanwhile my problem is that sometimes I look at the elements first and the text when I actually play the card in the slow phase.

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

Ragnar34 posted:

Meanwhile my problem is that sometimes I look at the elements first and the text when I actually play the card in the slow phase.

My signature move is boning myself by failing to look at the targeting requirements when choosing a card with a perfect element match and then not having a land with dahan or a sacred site or whatever to originate the power from.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
You don't need to fit the targeting requirements to benefit from the elements so that's a :thumbsup:

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

Ragnar34 posted:

You don't need to fit the targeting requirements to benefit from the elements so that's a :thumbsup:

True, but it's often nice to get the card effects in the slow phase too. I do probably undervalue the "0 cost elements match" selections though.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Alright I've beat all the adversaries through Level 4 with the exception of France (an oversight, just noticed, it's France time later today...) :smug: I officially know how to play the game.

England 4 gave me a good struggle before getting a win out. The Build tile combo with the build rule is just so difficult to "solve" lands around. I'd clear one, or two!, lands and they'd Build a town anyway from adjacency!

Grabbed the win last night with Eyes Watch. Just such a good strong spirit (but I didn't pick him specifically for the match-up either). Drew out the whole Fear deck. A couple notes on Eyes:

1. Entered a Reclaim loop to finish the game. Very poor energy generation, two growths that gain a power card, and a high elemental count for innate highest threshold feels like you will always enter one. I'm not a big fan of Reclaim loops, generally would prefer if they never happen. River handles them best probably. Lightning worst (haven't tried Aspects). Entered one in a 2p game with Devouring Teeth recently too, which I also didn't love (Teeth, though, has access to tons of energy so you don't need to fully commit to the loop as such).

2. Event cards that delete Dahan feel not great on every defensive spirit, at least in solo. Balanced well enough, I think?, though - just Feels Bad.

I think every win I've gotten with Eyes Watch has been a straight Fear deck victory with tons of turtling. Makes Eyes a little boring in that sense, nothing really flashy, but he's a lot more interesting in the early game before settling in. Grabbing defensive minors and spamming your Special Rule is a must but not a given.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I’ve not been motivated to write up any of my spirit island campaign (too many exhausting Prussia games), but here is a pic of a game from last night we “won” vs Prussia 4 using the Ward the Island’s Shores scenario

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Who's everyone favorite spirit? Turned out to be Sharp Fangs for me so far. Love being able to play a mix of minors and majors, top and bottom tracks!

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
1. Shroud of Silent Mist
2. Shattered Days
3. Finder
4. Keeper of forbidden groves
5. Ocean

Although all of this is subject to change when nature incarnate drops

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I will cheat by saying Starlight. I fully intend to play the hell out of Wounded Waters Bleeding though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Lure of the Deep Wilderness is my jam.