Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is that Power Rangers Unworthy fan series any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!
Iirc the director before the current one had to pitch the beast Morphers special to Austin as a vacation. The pay would just be enough for the travel and accommodations, but he'd get to visit New Zealand

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is Ninja Steel worth a watch?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
No.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Haven’t seen it myself yet but the anniversary special is out now and I’ve been hearing good things so far

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Barbara Goodson is still good(son) as Rita

I can't tell if they used the lightning collection figures or if they are just vinyl figures

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!
Those are 1000% Lighting Collection figures lol.

The special was kinda rear end, but it was a pleasant watch. Barbara Goodson carries it on her shoulders. It's a perfect take on what an edgier Rita would be She's just as funny and unhinged as ever, but she gets to add murder to her list of material. She's just as hyped about killing people as she is of her time machine working. Perfect stuff.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I won't call it a masterpiece but it was a lot of fun, and hearing some new Wasserman tracks was rad as hell.

Adam and Aisha cameo was weird, unless that's a tie-in to the new season or something

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Won’t be able to watch this until later but do they explain why Rita is a robot now and does Kat finally get to say Kim’s original morph call?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Larryb posted:

Won’t be able to watch this until later but do they explain why Rita is a robot now and does Kat finally get to say Kim’s original morph call?

yes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That’s all I needed to hear, looking forward to this

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
That was about the mix of terrible cheese with sloppy execution and accidental greatness that I expected. Plenty to like and plenty to laugh at. Covers a surprising amount of ground while staying mostly surface level. Worth the watch.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Walter Jones was really tremendous in this

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's basically a decent 3 parter from MMPR where they're allowed to say kill and die. I'm not sure how I feel about actually having Trini's death happen on screen, it feels a bit crass having her, ASJ, AJJ and JDF featured from archive audio. but they try and tell a story with a moral, the Megazord fight is... well, the CG looks every bit what you'd expect for the budget they had, and the fanservice is thick and fast, down to memes. Gizmodo put up a review pretty much saying it's not concerned with being an evolution of MMPR, but literally just BEING MMPR and that's probably as good a description as I can think of.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Getting ready to watch this as someone who watched the original show 30 years ago as a teenager. I realize it's a wacky kids show based off Sentai but is there an actual PR Canon universe? I think I stopped watching right when Time Force was coming out. Like, do all the rangers live in the same timeline/planet at the MMPR?

Also, wasn't the original MMPR Rangers/Zords destroyed and turned into the Thunderzords? Did they come back somehow in the story or is this more of a "forget about all that old poo poo and just watch this"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Getting ready to watch this as someone who watched the original show 30 years ago as a teenager. I realize it's a wacky kids show based off Sentai but is there an actual PR Canon universe? I think I stopped watching right when Time Force was coming out. Like, do all the rangers live in the same timeline/planet at the MMPR?

Also, wasn't the original MMPR Rangers/Zords destroyed and turned into the Thunderzords? Did they come back somehow in the story or is this more of a "forget about all that old poo poo and just watch this"

It's a very loose shared universe. Basically all the Rangers exist except when they don't because of the plot of the current season/episode.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

5 mins in and this is god awful hahaha. The suits and stuff look fine but right away in the first scene you can see Rita's rubber staff bending and flipping around....and then when [SPOILER] happens during the fight they just take their helmets off while still surrounded by enemies? Why?

Still going to finish but man it's BAD

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Sometimes yes, sometimes no, but ultimately it doesn't matter because Old People Return is always treated like an event unto itself.

If you watched up until Time Force, then you saw for example the episode of Lost Galaxy where they brought back the In Space people, that sort of thing happens in many but not all seasons. Mixed team reunions have been more common recently, though now that the MMPR are this old and everyone but Amy Jo Johnson (who doesn't want to run off to NZ for a month) has had their moment, we might see less of it.

If you want to get into hot and heavy lore talk there's a few Zelda like "split timeline" incidents that are a consequence of the show being killed by networks and then revived so many times, but that's probably self evident in a year where Zedd and Rita reappear in different events.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

5 mins in and this is god awful hahaha. The suits and stuff look fine but right away in the first scene you can see Rita's rubber staff bending and flipping around....and then when [SPOILER] happens during the fight they just take their helmets off while still surrounded by enemies? Why?

Still going to finish but man it's BAD

Yes and that's why I love it. True to the source material. It was all I needed it to be. I can tell they had to cram in 8 episodes worth of story into an hour but they made it work. A nice final send off.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

That was God loving awful but I don't regret it.

CGI zords suck, give me big wonky rubber suits in a fake city on a stage

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I liked that the rangers used their specific weapons. I miss the rangers having specific weapons, the ranger/sentai series have all changed to everyone uses the same weapon now and honestly it's kind of boring.

I understand why Toei/Bandai have done it, saving money on producing the toys and not having to deal with unsold stock at the end of the seasons but still having them use the same weapon sucks.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
Used the Power Sword without the theme blasting in the background. 0/5 stars.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That was weird and stupid but fun nonetheless. You can tell this was originally supposed to be a miniseries they had to cram down into a small movie and the CGI Zord fight left a lot to be desired but it was worth the watch and it was nice seeing David Yost and Barbara Goodson again (even Aisha got a small cameo)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 20, 2023

Saul Lewinsky
Feb 1, 2012
Whole special pleased my inner 7 year old. Then that memoriam segment at the end...not a single dry eye.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

For a relatively new actress I thought Charlie Kersh did a pretty good job as Minh and wouldn’t mind seeing her again one day (though if IMDB is to be believed she and Billy will supposedly have a role in the first episode of Cosmic Fury)

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
lmao i love that Rita went up a level in villainy for this

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Craptacular! posted:

Sometimes yes, sometimes no, but ultimately it doesn't matter because Old People Return is always treated like an event unto itself.
Between Lightspeed Rescue, Time Force, and SPD, someone figured that saying Rangers were kinda rare and unknown was dumb so everyone's like "oh m g its CAM, NINJA RANGER GREEN!!!"

Everything was in the same verse for a *while*. Its not till RPM that you see something so radically different that you go "wait this isnt the same earth, right?"

Then Dino Charge has an ending that basically puts it in its own little world and splits the timeline. And people more or less stopped caring. Plus by then the rotating casts made it easier to adapt the teamup stuff from the japanese series.

But now basically all the returning cool people are Morphing Masters so it doesn't matter if its Universe K.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I stopped watching Rangers in like, 1996, I think. Enough that I recognize everyone in the new special. It was definitely my favorite media for a couple years.

The best way I describe the special is that it's making me... existentially uncomfortable. Seeing these actors just thirty years older in the same roles is legit bumming me out. Why are they still Rangers at middle age. Why is David Yost such a charisma vacuum. What the gently caress are Aisha and Adam talking about in space.

It's got some fun parts at least. Walter Jones is doing a decent job with it. Robo Rita is a good time. Are Zack and Billy a couple? Because that is extremely the vibe.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

So everybody in the special are not active, solve a crisis a week rangers, they are more like reserves who step up when something in their local area or related to their specific threat comes up.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

MokBa posted:

What the gently caress are Aisha and Adam talking about in space.

About 12 years ago Power Rangers had a "the future but not very far in the future" season where rubber prosthetic monster men lived among humans, mostly because they were in the midst of a "follow the themes of the Japanese show whenever possible" phase. That year the rangers were more or less Space Cops. Aisha and Adam were rolled into that, with the suggestion that the "Everyone Is Old" period of MMPR would see the Zordon-era rangers as founders of the establishment that would eventually become that agency.

It's a nice way to stuff a few more bonus rangers in there without color clashing, and a fan service nod to a popular '00s season.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Craptacular! posted:

About 12 years ago Power Rangers had a "the future but not very far in the future" season where rubber prosthetic monster men lived among humans, mostly because they were in the midst of a "follow the themes of the Japanese show whenever possible" phase. That year the rangers were more or less Space Cops. Aisha and Adam were rolled into that, with the suggestion that the "Everyone Is Old" period of MMPR would see the Zordon-era rangers as founders of the establishment that would eventually become that agency.

Wasn't SPD one of the seasons where the showrunner had big plans for it and went "Wait, it's about what?" (Still one of my favorite seasons which is unfortunate because it is, in fact, the Space Cops season.*)

*But still not as bad as Dekaranger.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Nope that was In Space.

"They never leave earth? Its not actually in space???"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RBX posted:

Nope that was In Space.

"They never leave earth? Its not actually in space???"

Also Lost Galaxy where they turned a nature season into another space series (the mentor in the Sentai version was literally a talking tree)

Dekaranger was pretty similar to SPD in a lot of aspects except it had less of an overarching plot and instead of containing the monsters they defeated they were pretty much just a Sentai version of Judge Dredd (reminder that the MOTW in Dekaranger were all just regular civilians that happened to be committing major crimes)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 21, 2023

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Pretty sure RPM also had a story about the preseason planning running into "Wait this is what we have to work this into?

Zedd fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 21, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zedd posted:

Pretty sure RPM also had a story about the preseason planning running into "Wait this is what we have to work this into?[/i]

Yeah, and somehow they managed to make it work (though RPM still had a bit of Go-Onger style goofiness here and there)

I forget, was that the season that once did a behind the scenes episode where everyone was still in character?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 21, 2023

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
It's kind of telling that after Lost Galaxy that they switched to doing more straight adaptations for Lightspeed Rescue and Time Force, the main changes for the former being dialing back the family themes from GoGoV(in that the Rangers were siblings and their dad had made all the tech they used, and similarly for the demons the main group were mostly all siblings too) and adding a Sixth Ranger who didn't exist in the source material, while in the latter the main change was adding in Ransik as the villain

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

Larryb posted:

Yeah, and somehow they managed to make it work (though RPM still had a bit of Go-Onger style goofiness here and there)

I forget, was that the season that once did a behind the scenes episode where everyone was still in character?

RPM

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wild Force was also basically a straight adaptation of Gaoranger except with the addition of Master Org (which technically was a thing in the Sentai but it was more a concept rather than an actual being up until the endgame), scaling down the roles of the three big bads from the latter (I think the first one was literally reduced to being a MOTW in the PR version) and making Yellow a girl.

I seem to remember the Gaoranger mentor also being a lot cooler than the Wild Force one despite the general concept behind the character mostly staying the same

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 21, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I remember feeling like there was some definite WLW subtext with Wild Force Yellow and the princess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I mostly remember there was some sorta thing between Taylor (aforementioned Yellow) and Eric from Time Force in the crossover.

Was the princess mentor and the Silver being a thing just Gaoranger, Wild Force, both, or neither and my brain made it up