Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
He was chubby and plump, a right Jolly old spook
And I shrieked when I saw him, so awful his look.
With a wink of his eye he then offered a pill
then i knew that soon i would be programmed to kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

has anyone read this book by the killer of jolly west?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
im pretty sure reading a book written by the son of west is an auto mk-ultra indoc

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mawarannahr posted:

hahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

mawarannahr posted:

https://abc30.com/archive/6642227/

Jolly West was a true artist

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Well, that sure is ... something.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
lol i love that article, i remember finding it a while ago and this quote always gets me

quote:

His father, Louis Jolyon "Jolly" West, was a world-renowned psychiatrist with expertise in brainwashing and cult activities who examined famous patients like Lee Harvey Oswald and Patricia Hearst. His mother, Kathryn West, was a respected psychologist. Friends called them pillars of the community.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Azathoth posted:

Well, that sure is ... something.

it sounds at least like many other assisted-suicide stories of the time & place

but I know there's something hosed up about it. there's just gotta be.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Oh the West family is so nice, we always send our kids there after school for baby sitting

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

"some things are more important than following the rules that are meant for the greater crowd"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

“Everybody makes a difference,” Dr. Louis Jolyon West says. “You can fight city hall. You can change the world. It might not seem like much of a change at the time, but you have the power as an individual to do a great deal.”

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Jolly said: “Describing his own experience, Freud once observed--and I paraphrase--that the only son of a doting mother is very likely to grow up feeling he is destined to accomplish great things. And as far as back as I can remember, I felt that. My mother always told me: ‘You can do anything. You are a genius. You have great gifts. You’ve got to use them. Don’t waste them.’

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

With a grim chuckle, as if speaking of a dimly remembered acquaintance, West added: “I was a bloodthirsty young fellow.”

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

i didn't realize that mass shootings and in particular school shootings ended up being a focus area for ol' jolly:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1985-10-27-vw-12459-story.html

quote:

In the 1970s an effort was made at UCLA to start “the world’s first and only center for the study of interpersonal violence,” West said. “Not wars and pogroms and revolutions--there were centers doing that--but murder, rape, mayhem, child abuse, battered wives, and the role of alcohol and drugs in causing violence, and the factors that lead people to become violent, and the appropriate care of victims.

“We lined up all kinds of approval for the center, but at the last minute the (California) Legislature prevented us from going ahead, because there had been such an outcry against it--ironically, from many liberal organizations that I belonged to--based on arguments that to study violence was essentially to experiment on underprivileged people, like prisoners or minorities, and also based on arguments that we would be doing brain operations, putting electrodes in their heads, or making guinea pigs out of them.

“This was all utter nonsense, of course. We never planned to do any of those things, and our protocols made clear what we would do. But it was Watergate time. People were not in a trusting mood. And there had been some scandals in the Public Health Service, including the discovery that in a study of syphilis in Florida, some poor blacks had been used as controls and not given medication for the disease.

Frustrating Experience

“So our project to start a center at UCLA was blocked. This was the most frustrating experience of my career. But it didn’t stop us from going on to study violence, and we’ve made a lot of progress in the care and understanding of victims, especially in the fields of child abuse and rape.

“We are making progress in other projects. We know, for example, that witnesses to violence--especially children--are also victims of post-traumatic stress in ways that we had not realized before.

“Some of our younger doctors in the institute are involved in a study of children in three criterion groups: those who witness the murder of a parent, those who witness the suicide of a parent, those who witness the rape of a mother.

“We’re looking at other circumstances in which children are traumatized.” West noted, for example, that following a sniper attack in February, 1984, at the 49th Street Elementary School, which resulted in three dead and 12 wounded, a team of UCLA psychiatrists “went in to examine a number of the survivors: those who were on the playground, those who were inside the school, those who were absent that day, those who go to another school in that neighborhood. One phase of the study even involved counting incidents of nightmares, incidents of other disturbances, such as eating habits.”

In this--and in all of Jolly West’s efforts to make a difference--after all the facts are known, and after all the data have been processed and analyzed, “There comes,” he said, “the ultimate question of how to intervene. How do you help those children, and how do you help other victims? What works in relieving their symptoms? That’s what medicine is all about.”

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

i didn't realize that mass shootings and in particular school shootings ended up being a focus area for ol' jolly:

happy 24th anniversary of columbine

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

mdemone posted:

it sounds at least like many other assisted-suicide stories of the time & place

but I know there's something hosed up about it. there's just gotta be.

I am going to choose to believe that it is an elaborate hoax and Joly was murdered for the insurance money. I have nothing to base it on, but getting murdered and having it covered up would be the most poetically fitting end for him, so I think I'll go with that.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
id only be concerned if wests son suddenly decided to murder his parents and then casually turn himself into an execution state

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

mawarannahr posted:

jolyos Caesar

Et tu, McVeigh?

borgnar
Dec 30, 2018

mawarannahr posted:

oh my god

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

jolyos Caesar

powerful user name

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Jolyon of YOSPOS

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

He programmed his own son to kill him, tying up the last loose end in a fitting and poetic denouncement to a long career

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
kojima poo poo

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

He was chubby and plump, a right Jolly old spook
And I shrieked when I saw him, so awful his look.
With a wink of his eye he then offered a pill
then i knew that soon i would be programmed to kill.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

I also have to repost this every time the tread gets programmed to kill-pilled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FUersarZuo

borgnar
Dec 30, 2018
if you could pick one historical room to be a fly on the wall in, the interrogation room where jolly west Talked To jack ruby would be a solid choice

it matters a lot less than a lot of other rooms you could choose, but what the gently caress happened in there

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Sending drugs to help suppress unfriendly populations is just what the capitalist class does.

They are getting better at it, though. Former reliability Democratic strongholds in rural Appalachia where there was a strong community memory of the power of labor solidarity were flooded with opiates soon after the last vestiges of the extraction economy shriveled up. Those new addicts were then demonized and, locally at least, "tough on crime" rhetoric skyrocketed.

Having a corporate cutout to blame (a la the Sackler family) publically, and to allow the public to direct the ire there rather than at the intelligence community is a huge step forward.

Former Everything has issued a correction as of 22:58 on Apr 21, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Futanari Damacy posted:

Jolyon of YOSPOS

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

borgnar posted:

if you could pick one historical room to be a fly on the wall in, the interrogation room where jolly west Talked To jack ruby would be a solid choice

it matters a lot less than a lot of other rooms you could choose, but what the gently caress happened in there

nah that's a solid choice for one room

I can't think of a better room.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
Jolly being murdered with his last words being ‘Motherfucker’ before being covered up as a suicide.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

mawarannahr posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaIJKM0sjdo

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Video unavailable
This video is restricted. Please check the Google Workspace administrator and/or the network administrator restrictions.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Futanari Damacy posted:

Jolyon of YOSPOS

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Brain Curry posted:

Video unavailable
This video is restricted. Please check the Google Workspace administrator and/or the network administrator restrictions.

Get back to work

"100 Greatest Maniacal Movie Laughs"

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Get back to work

"100 Greatest Maniacal Movie Laughs"

visiting a friend in the icu i wish i were working

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
shame you cant watch movie clips in the hospital, that seems pretty cruel

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Should put arlington road on the vibe films list.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

A Bakers Cousin posted:

shame you cant watch movie clips in the hospital, that seems pretty cruel

:smith:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Watching youtube isn't covered by your insurance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy

Former Everything posted:

They are getting better at it, though. Former reliability Democratic strongholds in rural Appalachia where there was a strong community memory of the power of labor solidarity were flooded with opiates soon after the last vestiges of the extraction economy shriveled up. Those new addicts were then demonized and, locally at least, "tough on crime" rhetoric skyrocketed.

Having a corporate cutout to blame (a la the Sackler family) publically, and to allow the public to direct the ire there rather than at the intelligence community is a huge step forward.

Are there any colorful maps that depict this sort of occurrence to allow for some level of comparison? Like those gifs that show covid spread after Sturgis?

Opiate spread, "tough on crime" bills, changing voting patterns, etc.