Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I remember there being some unhinged Ukraine supporter who was 100% certain there were 100,000 Ukrainian soldiers being trained at NATO bases all over the world who would come back for the big offensive. Wonder how they're doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

150 guns to support 9 Brigades is a new one.

If we are generous, they could do 3 "battery" of 6 guns in each of the 9 brigade for 162 guns total. It's close to the 150 number and probably let them move 1 battery while 1 is being setup and one is shooting to keep rotating.

It's also probably light to only have 6 guns ready to fire at any moment if you are actively pushing forward.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Nix Panicus posted:

I remember there being some unhinged Ukraine supporter who was 100% certain there were 100,000 Ukrainian soldiers being trained at NATO bases all over the world who would come back for the big offensive. Wonder how they're doing?

If you stop to think all of those 35k won't be combat element troops either. there's various types of support, medical, logistics, admin in every brigade and so on.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
toothies and tailies

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
One of the major flaws in US commentators listing a number of brigades and equating that in their head is that a lot of them don't realize that US brigades are heavier than a lot of other countries' brigades. Hell, it's true down at the company level. A US tank company is made up of 14 main battle tanks (3x platoons of 4, commander, XO), compared to 10 (3x platoons of 3, 1 commander) in a typical Russian or Ukrainian tank company.

Each time the US mentions a Ukrainian "brigade" armor or mech infantry, they've been referring to a formation of 2,000 troops or so. In contrast, a US army armored brigade combat team is over 4,000 troops, plus the vehicles and equipment. US Stryker and Infantry BCTs are over 4,500 soldiers.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

mlmp08 posted:

US brigades are heavier than a lot of other countries' brigades

i'd believe this

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

US brigades are also heavier in the tail

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

is reuters not paying editors enough these days?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nix Panicus posted:

Yeah, I think it goes without saying that the US tooth to tail is going to be significantly, drastically more capable and sizeable than Ukrainian forces. Even within a battlespace, before you get to the depth of depot and replacements.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Battlespace is such a funny word to me

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nix Panicus posted:

They've got a lot of junk in their trunk

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Endman posted:

Battlespace is such a funny word to me

I prefer Battlezone personally, you could use a joystick.

-----

Also, as far as Ukrainian brigades go, I am sure plenty of the units actually in the field including the ones cycled in and out of Bakhmut are going to not be anywhere near full strength. The new ones coming in are but yeah they are only going to be about 2,800-3,000 men.

To be get to 80,000, you would have to probably pull other units off the line for a major offensive and they would still be light on heavy equipment.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 00:30 on Apr 22, 2023

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

BROTHER I AM DEEP STRIKING INTO THE BATTLESPACE

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Endman posted:

BROTHER I AM DEEP STRIKING INTO THE BATTLESPACE

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

warfighter always makes me laugh

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Nix Panicus posted:

deport the entire ukraine-canadian population to ukraine, win war

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Regarde Aduck posted:

yeah the thing about hype is that it hurts a lot more when things don't go as planned

lol at "150 155mm howitzers"

"why aren't any f-16s", says the geopolitically very astute people

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Russia should know by now that continuing to oppose the West only leads to human catastrophe!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

supersnowman posted:

If we are generous, they could do 3 "battery" of 6 guns in each of the 9 brigade for 162 guns total. It's close to the 150 number and probably let them move 1 battery while 1 is being setup and one is shooting to keep rotating.

It's also probably light to only have 6 guns ready to fire at any moment if you are actively pushing forward.

Yeah, 3x6 guns is the standard makeup of a field artillery BN in a US brigade combat team. SPG 155mm, towed 155mm or towed 105mm depending on type of BCT.

never mind that US BCTs also have divisional artillery and this thing called "the air component" at their disposal, so it's not exactly fair to compare small countries' formations to a military the size and resourcing of the US.

Still, have to imagine a whole lot of donated howitzers are destroyed in combat or generally broken by now.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Al-Saqr posted:

Eid Mubarak to all the haters.

heres hoping the ukranians and russians come together and join in the spirit of eid and lay down their weapons in peace and harmony, also play a game of football so that peace may reign.

i hope one day Brother Volodymir and Brother Vladimir see the light of islam and follow the example of the prophet PBUH.

Namaste

Funny you should say that, the big Ukrainian derby match is this Sunday. Dynamo Kyiv vs Shakhtar Donetsk.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

From this war, did we find out that all the fancy equipment doesn’t work that well against an opponent with similar level tech?

Seems like this war is back to WWII type tactics of just pound everything with artillery and move up slowly.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Palladium posted:

"why aren't any f-16s", says the geopolitically very astute people

They’ve been asking for German submarines and frigates which would be a no kidding act of war.

Of course, since their goal is to draw NATO in, that’s not really a problem.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Ukrainian battlecruisers should besiege Sevastopol

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

US is sending Abrams tanks to Ukraine. From listening to the Radio War Nerd podcast about tanks, I take it they will quickly run out of fuel and be blown up.

I didn’t know it but they said those things are so thirsty you pretty much need to build a pipeline behind them to keep them fueled up.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Raccooon posted:

From this war, did we find out that all the fancy equipment doesn’t work that well against an opponent with similar level tech?

Seems like this war is back to WWII type tactics of just pound everything with artillery and move up slowly.

We discovered that Russia just adapts to things like HIMARS by keeping their ammo dumps and HQ further back, and that HIMARS is expensive and limited and not a real substitute for saturation with low tech artillery. We're also learning industrial production capacity is key for military success, a lesson we already knew over a hundred years ago, but nevertheless must relearn every decade or so

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Frosted Flake posted:

They’ve been asking for German submarines and frigates which would be a no kidding act of war.

Of course, since their goal is to draw NATO in, that’s not really a problem.

have they tried the one weird trick by calling others to sanction china more

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Raccooon posted:

don't know about everything but the m777's sure kinda don't come up very much anymore

nor do the HIMARS, but that might be because they are holding them back

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Uuhhhh

Endman
May 18, 2010

The big takeaway from this war from a technological perspective, at least to my untrained and largely stupid eye, is that cheap drones with explosives strapped to them are very effective.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

yeah it's an odd one

if i was to be cynical i'd say they were playing to their audience

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Senior lieutenant Pavel Kuzin mowed down hundreds of Russians with his machine-gun before his death, enabling his troops to commit a skilled rear-guard action.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

I'm MOOTW

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Endman posted:

The big takeaway from this war from a technological perspective, at least to my untrained and largely stupid eye, is that cheap drones with explosives strapped to them are very effective.

this is true. i also perceive there being a huge difference with the amount of information available about the enemy. its impossible to build up an armored fist to push unexpectantly in a particular direction when you're being observed 24/7

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

sending 35,000 warrior poets to the ukraine

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

master of orion third worldism

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lmfao

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Endman posted:

The first time I read about a Ukrainian jet fighter going down from a cheap drone, I thought it was a fluke. The second time really made me realize cheap drones are incredibly effective.

Fun fact, the US army used a ton of cheap (for the US MIC) ADM-141 TALD glider drones during the first Gulf War. They saturated Baghdad's SAM radar with decoy gliders.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1649561761022967821

does this one really need any more comment than just lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Some Guy TT posted:

does this one really need any more comment than just lol