Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Some of them you can do relatively easily, about equivalent to setting up a shipyard.

But if you want to do "invade scale plate green, kick the xenon out, and terraform the planet" that's pretty late yeah :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

All recruit boarding has always been a crapshoot. I’ve had L pirate ships that took 2, sometimes 3, iterations of all-recruit boarding parties (42 scrubs at a time) but I always just kind of assumed that was “normal”, for a given value thereof, and I’d just skim the vets out of those to consolidate a “trained marine” ship somewhere for the more-important boarding stuff.

There is (was? used to be?) a way to Just Buy vets from third party docks by buying “High Preset” ships fully crewed with marines and in theory that had a higher rate of giving you vets/elites in the crew mix, but outside of that I think terraforming projects or mods are the only way to train marines up without just dumping hundreds of them into the RNG boarding meat grinder.

Finishing war guild missions that give you L sized ships as rewards (such as miners) always have decent marines on them.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

But if you want to do "invade scale plate green, kick the xenon out, and terraform the planet" that's pretty late yeah :v:
That was the first one I did, because I figured I wanted a challenge.
:negative:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

What happens if a faction is wiped out?

The mods I have installed are meaning the Xenon are absolutely stomping Antigone and obviously the split. The split have already lost 2 sectors and I'm maybe 2 hours in..

Last I heard factions have technically infinite cash resources, so a total faction wipeout in terms of all stations and ships is sort of possible but
- They'll still buy, or try to buy, ships from any docks they're factionally allowed access to
- They'll still throw down plots in sectors they're allowed to throw down in (which in this case would probably be "sectors they previously owned and are at war with the current owner"), which means
- They'll still hire or comission the building of construction vehicles, and pay for getting materials shipped in to build them

All of which is to say since the game is all about resource supply lines more than cash reserves, any eradicated faction can recover on it's own over time, but functionally if a faction's been eradicated by NPCs, they're probably hosed without direct player intervention to remove whatever eradicated in them in the first place, or bootstrap the faction back into a viable position by directly supplying and defending their stations, or a combination of the two

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

That was the first one I did, because I figured I wanted a challenge.
:negative:

Same but Atiya's Misfortune lol, my PHQ's been parked there since pre-ToA

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Frontier Edge is a decent one imo. It's a hotly contested sector (usually the xenon will win) but also not at the end of the universe.

Edit: Factions can't be wiped sadly.
The game will always try to have a minimum of stuff for them. For example in my HOP game where I put my allegiances with them and everyone that HOP dislikes was also my enemy, I completely flushed PAR out of the lower right section of the map. They had tons of stations in progress in their lone sector, Litany of fury. I occasionally visited to bully them and raze their shipyards etc again, but they will always try to rebuild them. No idea what happens if you steal the sector ownership though.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 21, 2023

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
Training marines through terraforming just feels pointless since by that time you'll have your own self-sufficient shipyard and have no need for boarding.

I guess if you'd take the approach of not befriending literally everyone and playing all sides it could be nice to have some good marines to pick up some Asgards or something. Might be fun to try actually.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah I was about to say if marine training is via terraforming you don’t need trained marines anymore at that stage of the game, you have millions, if not billions, of credits to throw at problems.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Man this just reminds me of how large of a ball drop Starbase was :(

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
How do you get a plot like that to sit over the gate?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

How do you get a plot like that to sit over the gate?
Place the plot as close as you can, then manipulate the axis until it overlaps.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

I picked this up like three days before the expansion released, purely on seeing this thread crop up every once in a while.

game good

did the emp-cur jailbreak start. i've got three silicon miners in 18 billion and just found the big hyperspace highway loop. thinking about trying to find these terran fellows, they sound friendly and chill

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh yeah super chill, real easygoing sorts. The battleship with the station destroying laser cannon bigger than most other ships is just vibing.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

Sample_text posted:

I'm waiting on someone to make a Boron version of this mod:
https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/994

I started their quest, boarded one of the fighters, it feels nice, but drat am I bored of the organic look of those things, and it's a shame I can't mount their guns on my Teladi / Argon fleet .

Re: Freespace. I stil think it's the gold standard for a space sim shooter, with the only minor gripe I remember having with it when I played it back in 2000 was that a lot of the guns were very similar and functioned as straight-upgrades to each other.
The moment I realized how crazy good the basic dumbfire rapid-fire missiles were , I had entire banks of them to use instead of my primary weapons, since you could re-arm your ammo for free if you knew when the downtime was in missions.

Nevermind, I looked around a bit and found out how to write my own mod. Will post if I can get it to work.
Am also aiming to do some manual re-balancing of those lovely railgun weapons to make them more viable, even if it means cutting their out of sector damage in half.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do you mean the boron railguns because they're one of the best weapons in the game, which is very funny that the borons have developed a gun that can delete fighters at eight kilometers away in the blink of an eye.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

OwlFancier posted:

Do you mean the boron railguns because they're one of the best weapons in the game, which is very funny that the borons have developed a gun that can delete fighters at eight kilometers away in the blink of an eye.

If they must kill, they’ll at least make it quick, painless, and you’re dead before you can even be distressed when you realize you’re about to die! :v:

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I guess the split where onto something when they abducted Boso

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Regarding QOL mods and 6.0, I've found that Mycu has updated some of their mods, and also some of their mods without updates still work with 6.0: https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/users/7018859?tab=user+files

For me a must have is Custom Tabs -- it allows me to just shove poo poo off my main property page and just check it every now and again. Love it, and glad it still works. I put my various stations there like refineries or whatever that are set-and-forget so why bother having them on the main property list? Same goes for trader fleets as I like to have ware-specific and area-specific smaller trading fleets and they don't need a lot of micro so just put them in their own tab and only keep the vital poo poo on the main page.

Other nice ones are: Equipment Tooltips (easier to see weapon stats at ship outfitting), Cleaner Hud, and Sector List for a bit of extra functionality in the map mode.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

ughhhh posted:

Terran start is good. Make sure you do the player HQ mission and hatikvas choice missions as soon as possible (the PHQ requires you to scan signal leaks on stations). Rest you just do what you need to figure out the game. There is no time limit on things and everything changes constantly. Make sure to change the game setting which allows time to pass while in menu if you intend to do a lot of economy stuff so things don't get paused while in menus (you can pause it manually while giving orders with default P key of you want).

Thanks, the bolded bit especially was the kind of detail I wouldn't even know to look for. I'm about done with Everspace 2 so I think I'll jump into the Terran cadet start and see if I can push through the learning curve.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I'm starting to see why the orange split faction up north tends to die out. The Xenon are really starting to gently caress things up up there... and just as I got promoted too!

Hey just curious about those UI mods, there doesn't happen to be a mod to make the UI snappier and like.. sense my clicks and drags immediately instead of 10-50 milliseconds later, is there? Kinda like how someone rewrote the entire UI for Skyrim so it actually feels like a real UI instead of something slapped together for consoles.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 22, 2023

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

DaveKap posted:

I'm starting to see why the orange split faction up north tends to die out. The Xenon are really starting to gently caress things up up there... and just as I got promoted too!

Hey just curious about those UI mods, there doesn't happen to be a mod to make the UI snappier and like.. sense my clicks and drags immediately instead of 10-50 milliseconds later, is there?

If you pause the game and your UI feels where you want it to be in terms of snappiness, that’s just the nature of the underlying sim asserting itself. “Pausing the game so you can interact with the map properly” turns into a requirement pretty early on in your empire management timeline.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
According to the egosoft discord if you recruit marines from the Vigor Syndicate there's a good chance some of them will start as veterans.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

Sample_text posted:

Nevermind, I looked around a bit and found out how to write my own mod. Will post if I can get it to work.
Am also aiming to do some manual re-balancing of those lovely railgun weapons to make them more viable, even if it means cutting their out of sector damage in half.

Boom!

.....now I just need to do all the others.

Also managed to un-dogshit the railguns by giving them double projectile speed and Auto-Aim.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxL4pzuwSUQ&t=7s

In case you're wondering, it's red because I didn't grind the Boron rep yet.....because I was too busy messing with the Mass Driver to make it tolerable

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The mass drivers are basically a player gimmick weapon I think. Because high velocity weapons with long range and high alpha are extremely deadly. Which is why the boron railguns are so effective.

I don't know if the AI can use them properly, although a whole wing of fighters kitted out with them could be interesting if they can.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

There are ZYA fighters in Heretics End harrassing my Provinces Adrift Boron besties as they try to trade with the Commonwealth. Getting tempted to just start killing the fighters...

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Just do it! If you manage to shoot down the distress drones, its not even a crime...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

blowing up split is never a crime

like legit I actually don't think anybody would care except maybe the teladi if you do it in their systems

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I've added that Khulee mod for citizenship mid game and now I don't have access to anything and it's taking forever to grind rep.

I think I'm missing something as I have 2 stations in space and have easily made over 500k with the stations for citizenship?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I've got stations set up in Heretic's End, and Midnight Star III and I'm starting to have a real problem with SCA Plunderer's harassing and even destroying my M traders. I think I need to finally invest in some patrol/rapid response interceptors or something.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

The mass drivers are basically a player gimmick weapon I think..

Not anymore they're not. They loving rule now. 6 shots before overheating, 8 km range with near instant projectile travel, and autoaim. Slow-locking autoaim, but will eventually lock on.

Also re-made the Meson Stream to be more like the Asgard beam , in that I removed the initial heat build-up, but increased the heat build-up while shooting.

For how much these things cost to build or buy, they SHOULD be that loving good. I have a squadron of Falx frigates and I am pretty sure I could afford 2 fully kitted out destroyers for that price.

Now that I have a vague idea what I'm doing, am going to mess with some other weapons as well.
The Teladi charge up gun, I want to see if I can increase the projectile speed but also the spread, so the more you hold it down, the more like a shotgun it becomes.
The Paranid Burst ray is getting a range increase.

EDIT: Right, before I consider the railguns properly "done", I want to see tomorrow if I can change the graphics of the beams.
How hard would it be to get a Quake 2 style corkscrew trail on them.

Sample_text fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 22, 2023

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Two more questions; Is there any way to flag SCA ships as Red/Hostile all the time? edit: When revealed I mean, I'm worried they won't always be targeted by a patrol even if revealed as SCA because they're technically "only" -5 until they're actively loving up my traders.

Also is there a good guide on ship modifications? I've started unlocking those and I'm curious but its all rather a lot to figure out.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 22, 2023

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Dealing with the SCA in an unmodded game is very, very annoying as none of the defend/patrol stuff works reliably. I mentioned a couple pages ago that setting your traders to "Comply" with their demands is kinda lame but works very well, saves your ships and you only lose some of the cargo each time.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
Is there any way to effectively protect a sector from pirates, with a mod maybe? Barren shores has constant SCA spawns and they're very annoying. I can't police the sector since it's not mine. I tried using patrol but they just fly around and ignore my traders when attacked. I'm trying out some repeat attack orders now, but I don't think it'll be effective since the area is so small, and a bunch of them in sequence would have them fly around ignoring enemies again. If it was the size of half the sector it'd probably work.

What I'd like is some sort of response fleet which would go and help out if a trader is attacked. Either that or a way to pre-emptively be able to clean out the pirate ships.

Edit: Didn't notice the post right above. Fitting

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

How do I turn the plunderers hostile so I can shoot them without having the whole sector get mad at me? I remember taking SCA ships iny last playthrough but not how I did it.

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
They shouldn't need to be hostile, you can attack them just fine. You might need to reveal that they're SCA by scanning them first though, I've never had any issues but I always do that first.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I never scan them, just attack if you know they're a pirate. They'll sometimes call for sector security but it always receives a "Negative" ime.

Also I believe the reaction force mod was good a while ago for actually doing sector patrols but I'm not sure if it works with 6.0.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

So even after the highway construction, Sanctury of darkness still kinda splits the boron in two, instead of small craft it chews through capitals like no ones business as their jump in point is too high up and they take very lethal damage getting down to the other side, its a roll of the dice if one makes it through or not it seems

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah I realized I've been strengthening the wrong side. Should have been working on the Provinces Adrift side as the Kingdom End sectors are so well insulated.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Sanctuary of Darkness is wonderfully atmospheric and a great idea, but kind of clunky in implementation.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I miss the security override software from X3 that would let me claim "abandoned" ships without having to go for a spacewalk. Edit: Though I have recently discovered that shooting the abandoned ship's data leak with my repair laser will claim it. I think that might be part of the repair laser mod I downloaded though (100m range and x5 repair speed).

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

You can also send a marine over.