Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

another Gaz-L classic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

bad booking is when the guy i like isnt immediately world champ

justice for shawn spears

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
I hated how El Hijo del Vikingo didn’t beat Kenny Omega. Way to squander the AAA Megachampion, Tony Con.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Takashita got put into the top angle the company has going this week. Goons keep watching a slow boil and getting absolutely shocked when the water starts roiling like it came out of nowhere.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Please watch the content befor posting on it please and thank you

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

coconono posted:

Please watch the content befor posting on it please and thank you

I do. And I think the main reason I post here much less than I used to is that it's pretty clear the prevailing taste of the community and mine have diverged. It is somewhat frustrating/disappointing, but I'm trying not to lash out the way I have in the past.

For the record, I'm glad Takeshita is finally getting pushed after months of what, to me, looked a lot like aimless stop/start where AEW/Khan kinda wanted him to be featured but didn't really want to put him over stars. I hope this leads to bigger things. I'm just not gonna hold my breath because I've been disappointed by AEW just as often as I love what I see.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Gaz-L posted:

For the record, I'm glad Takeshita is finally getting pushed after months of what, to me, looked a lot like aimless stop/start where AEW/Khan kinda wanted him to be featured but didn't really want to put him over stars. I hope this leads to bigger things. I'm just not gonna hold my breath because I've been disappointed by AEW just as often as I love what I see.

For what it's worth I hear you, even if I understand kinda what AEW is going for.

You sign someone, you want to show them off. It's more or less a "coming soon" sign. The WWE likes to do a signing and just plop them right into the middle of poo poo. This is because Vince tears up scripts 5 minutes before the show. AEW has a story in mind, and it takes time before they're able to fully incorporate the new hotness into whatever they're building to. So unfortunately you get to check out a cool new wrestler while they take hard luck losses or get into really low stakes feuds with people at the bottom of the card. Maybe they get fed to Jade, which is a whole other can of beans. Either way, AEW is not going to stop everything and inject an unknown into a story that's humming along. Don't wanna risk derailing someone else.

Bryan Danielson is the exception because he's Bryan Danielson. And hell--with him it was more teasing that he was championship level talent more than actually strapping him up.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Gaz-L posted:

I do. And I think the main reason I post here much less than I used to is that it's pretty clear the prevailing taste of the community and mine have diverged. It is somewhat frustrating/disappointing, but I'm trying not to lash out the way I have in the past.

I don’t think you’re wrong in your assessment. There almost always seems to be a cooling off period on new signees a few weeks after their debut. It can feel frustrating for sure. Sometimes it seems like it’s not their fault, like with Bandido apparently having visa issues, but other times it’s just how someone is being used.

On the other hand, I guess I’d rather this then everyone who debuts gets pushed into a big program and wins a belt because then you start to feel like TNA putting your belts on anyone who left WWE right away.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I think you kind of just miss stuff. Takashita's start stop was them taking an unknown for the audience and building him up. The whole time he's "jobbing" they were showcasing him and doing these angles with Don. There has been a very intentional build around him and he's been getting hotter. Jay is very likely getting pushed hard because he's here as part of a story that is also in NJPW and they're doing another forbidden door.

Komander isn't that good yet, just very good at a few moves. He'll get there but a big push would expose him.

There are absolutely other debuts they have bungled. I think Athena has landed in a good spot but yeah, this might have always been the plan but she cooled off. You just picked some bad examples.

Also as an aside the one surprise unknown debut who got a rocket, Action Andretti, has not been amazing

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 22, 2023

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gumball Gumption posted:

I think you kind of just miss stuff. Takashita's start stop was them taking an unknown from the audience and building him up. The whole time he's "jobbing" they were showcasing him and doing these angles with Don. There has been a very intentional build around him and he's been getting hotter. Jay is very likely getting pushed hard because he's here as part of a story that is also in NJPW and they're doing another forbidden door.

Komander isn't that good yet, just very good at a few moves. He'll get there but a big push would expose him.

There are absolutely other debuts they have bungled. I think Athena has landed in a good spot but yeah, this might have always been the plan but she cooled off. You just picked some bad examples.

Also as an aside the one surprise unknown debut who got a rocket, Action Andretti, has not been amazing

Komander is very good but not the guy you push right now. He's worked really hard to expand his skillset and train with different people.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Gumball Gumption posted:

I think you kind of just miss stuff. Takashita's start stop was them taking an unknown from the audience and building him up. The whole time he's "jobbing" they were showcasing him and doing these angles with Don. There has been a very intentional build around him and he's been getting hotter. Jay is very likely getting pushed hard because he's here as part of a story that is also in NJPW and they're doing another forbidden door.

Yeah, I was actually typing up a response that Takeshita feels like a very bad example. Athena would also be my go to for actual bad/confusing booking. Because a huge deal was made of her, she was fed to Jade and then dissappeared. Like it felt like there was a build up with no pay off.
I think in other threads folks would also be less cheeky about someone not being a fan of TK's booking. When it pops up here I think we're more likely to read it in an uncharitable way.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah, I was actually typing up a response that Takeshita feels like a very bad example. Athena would also be my go to for actual bad/confusing booking. Because a huge deal was made of her, she was fed to Jade and then dissappeared. Like it felt like there was a build up with no pay off.
I think in other threads folks would also be less cheeky about someone not being a fan of TK's booking.

Athena was off TV for a month and a half while she re-tolled her character. She debuted, was pushed into a title match, lost, and then shortly after with a new, better character got another push. It wasn't even really stop start, right after she was off TV they started the new character work!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
athena 'disappeared' into being the current ring of honor champion, where she's been having killer match after killer match

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

flatluigi posted:

athena 'disappeared' into being the current ring of honor champion, where she's been having killer match after killer match
I should probably clarify I was talking about AEW TV, not RoH and the webshows. If you don't follow both of those it's like she vanished, and iirc hasn't been seen in 2023.

My incredibly lukewarm take is the AEW and ROH relationship is both really well done at times and muddled at others. Sometimes it's just treated another promotion, other times it's a direct extension.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
if you're going to complain about "tk's booking" it doesn't make sense to discard how he thought Athena deserved to be the headliner champion of his new promotion

and that's the key word: new. tk's roh has barely started walking on its own and building its own roster and focuses separate from aew. you can't really establish that separation when all you can do with roh is ppvs and showcase matches on aew programming, but now that it has a weekly show underway it's laying that groundwork

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

I'm just not gonna hold my breath because I've been disappointed by AEW just as often as I love what I see.

I agree with you/you're not alone in thinking that, for sure

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Shinjobi posted:

The WWE likes to do a signing and just plop them right into the middle of poo poo.

?

WWE signs people then sticks them on NXT for 5 years.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Coolness Averted posted:

I should probably clarify I was talking about AEW TV, not RoH and the webshows. If you don't follow both of those it's like she vanished, and iirc hasn't been seen in 2023.

If you don't watch the show she's on she's barely on the show.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Lamuella posted:

?

WWE signs people then sticks them on NXT for 5 years.

I guess they do that too. Was thinking of Cody most recently, and [celebrity], and Ronda

But yeah they the glut of em down to NXT

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

the big guy right now who wwe signed who they sent to nxt would dragon lee

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Lamuella posted:

If you don't watch the show she's on she's barely on the show.

Maki Itoh sure doesn't wrestle much, huh?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Shinjobi posted:

I guess they do that too. Was thinking of Cody most recently, and [celebrity], and Ronda

But yeah they the glut of em down to NXT

I can accept that of people of the Cody-tier and above. But I would say that AEW also does this for people of that tier..

this isn't to say I don't have issues with how AEW sometimes uses its new people. There is frequently a short settling in period after someone gets signed, often because the person they're going to work their first real program against is finishing up something with someone else. And with a big roster you are going to get people who make a brief splash then find themselves in a bigger pool than they had been before. There's also the issue that as AEW rarely demands exclusivity they usually are letting their new guys work out their obligations to other companies before getting behind them heavily. So someone like Komander recently got his All Elite graphic, but has worked more dates for GCW than AEW this month. Not because AEW aren't behind him but because he already had those dates booked and is honouring his obligations. Same with Takeshita, who got the All Elite graphic in November but was given the chance to work the American indie dates he had booked and to keep up with his tours in DDT.

Is there an argument here for doing the All Elite graphic later? Maybe.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/slim8504/status/1649391465800384512?t=BlKgW9RWt6MkKPOELkeDKA&s=19

:shrug:

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
i also hate the entire concept of professional wrestling

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Chris Jericho beat Goldberg with a facelock in his prime.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

man, I'd love to see how over Takeshita would be in WWE in the same amount of time with a similar Win/Loss record

being disappointed in how AEW pushes develop is one thing, but pretending it's even comparable to the void the fed drops everyone into is a joke

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

The337th posted:

man, I'd love to see how over Takeshita would be in WWE in the same amount of time with a similar Win/Loss record

being disappointed in how AEW pushes develop is one thing, but pretending it's even comparable to the void the fed drops everyone into is a joke

Something I actually like about AEW’s booking is that they don’t just immediately throw guys into huge programs. They let them work a bit and get people used to them. Sometimes they wait a little too long but imo if you get over you will still be over when they turn the booking up as long as they didn’t make you look like a total geek. Wwe’s issue is that when they don’t use a guy they book them like a total geek. And if they do get over on their own they take away the thing that got them over in the first place.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Ganso Bomb posted:

I don’t think you’re wrong in your assessment. There almost always seems to be a cooling off period on new signees a few weeks after their debut. It can feel frustrating for sure. Sometimes it seems like it’s not their fault, like with Bandido apparently having visa issues, but other times it’s just how someone is being used.

I usually attribute this to new people needing to be integrated into the current plan. We know Tony Khan is a plan ahead booker, and he has to adapt when things don't go the way they're supposed to, and integrating new talent into his plans seems to take time for him. It seems to take a PPV cycle for new signings to get integrated into storylines and divisions properly, until then they go into a holding pattern where they don't win too much or the question would be, "Why aren't they getting any title shots?" but they don't get chumped out either, so you know they're going somewhere eventually.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

El Generico posted:

I usually attribute this to new people needing to be integrated into the current plan. We know Tony Khan is a plan ahead booker, and he has to adapt when things don't go the way they're supposed to, and integrating new talent into his plans seems to take time for him. It seems to take a PPV cycle for new signings to get integrated into storylines and divisions properly, until then they go into a holding pattern where they don't win too much or the question would be, "Why aren't they getting any title shots?" but they don't get chumped out either, so you know they're going somewhere eventually.

This, basically

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/cenationboy7/status/1649595692581548036?s=46&t=AwMtDeZF_tX5DmOd53fE0g

bartok
May 10, 2006

I was an El Gigante fan as a kid so I can't criticize anyone for loving a terrible wrestler because they are very tall.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
https://twitter.com/jodex96/status/1649915552125825025?t=IGhAvIfQGUJEZDvv7WDUNQ&s=19

Cody's back

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/SpeeMichael/status/1649967905637822464

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I so badly wanted that to turn into CD joining the BCC. :(

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

BCC feels more like NJPW’s CHAOS unit during the early streaming era when it was this crew of badasses aligned in a general direction. Does not feel like Danielson calling the shots at all.

But that’s just my willful interpretation of reality.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I think BCC is like TMNT. Mox is Raph, Yoots is Mikey, Claudio is Leo, and Danielson is Donny.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MJeff posted:

I so badly wanted that to turn into CD joining the BCC. :(

Someone pointed out to me that Blood and Guts is coming up - the Elite now has four members with a fifth in orbit, so BCC is likely picking up a fifth soon too.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

idk, they could get Eddie back for one more B&G

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Nativity In Black posted:

I think BCC is like TMNT. Mox is Raph, Yoots is Mikey, Claudio is Leo, and Danielson is Donny.

I think that you'll find if you listen to the rap from the end of the first movie that Raph is the leader of the group, transformed from the norm by the nuclear goop :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/wwe_wwf_Junkie/status/1649906842158366732?s=20