Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
I have to recommend Ascension of the Metatron just because it's bonkers, but realistically yeah Pentiment is what you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

AngryBooch posted:

Case of the Golden Idol DLC dropping next week:

https://www.polygon.com/23691144/ca..._source=twitter

Hell yes
more please

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Played a few more demos this afternoon, might play some tonight IDK

illWill - I want to give this game a rec because the aesthetic is kooky and the monster designs are fun and silly, but I came away from the demo unsure of what the game wants to be. Enemies have too much health but I feel like the game wants to throw a good deal of enemies at you regardless. The shotgun is your default weapon, I like that, but it takes 3 headshots to kill the average grunt... so you've made the shotgun pistol-strength. What even the heck???

Mazeman - Basically fancy Pacman with characters that have skills like a dash or a sword to attack enemies. Nothing particularly special, especially compared to more inspired takes on the formula like Eatgirl.

Ninja Issen - One of those cyberpunk ninja games, of which there are starting to become... a lot. This one's KIIIINDA fun but the action's a little too small, and the combat is a bit inelegant. I like being able to swing my sword as quickly as possible, but there's no directional attacking which makes for a couple of really awkward fights, including the boss of the demo which is just unpleasant to fight.

Nyanroo the Super Cat - I'm a sucker for Genesis FM music and Nyanroo has some great jazzy FM tunes and even uses a faux-Genesis controller for their instructions screen. The game is patterned after the cartoony mascot platformers of the 16-bit era and probably wouldn't be too out of place on the Genesis if it was in 4:3, with its strategic use of simple colors. It controls alright, although the ''bounce" attack will take a little getting used to because you have to time it right before you land on an enemy. The level design in the city allows you to climb up to the rooftops optionally to get more goldfish which can be used to buy additional abilities. It's cute, but the game is currently in Early Access so I'm not in a hurry to buy it. I'll let the EA process play out.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Paradoxish posted:

DD: Rewind has reminded me that this game is actually really loving good and just nailed the gameplay design in a way that hasn't become outdated even a little bit despite a decade of endless rogue-likes.

I had over 200 hours in the original Desktop Dungeons and eventually hid it from my library because I was playing it so much. Anyway, I'm back on my bullshit thanks to the new game and I'm already top 5 in the dailies (by win streaks).

I called my kingdom 'BACK 2 THA OLD ME'

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Mr. Sun’s Hatbox: took me an hour to get to grips with the gameplay loop but oh my god it’s great

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

And another batch of demos:

Overbowed - A mini Metroidvania where you are an archer with arrows that regen over time. Enemies take one or two many hits to go down considering this, but the music is really nice. I'm getting a bit tired of the GB aesthetic but that may just be because I've seen a lot of GB Studio games on itchio lately (this isn't one of them).

Pandorex - I'm very fussy about my point and click adventures and this demo has two strikes against it that turned me off: a dodgy localization and unlikable characters that are just mean to each other. We need to get past the point and click adventure trope of making every character an rear end in a top hat. Please please please.

PaperKlay - As a prototype, it needs a bit of work and feels a little early in development. I don't mind the aesthetic, but the jumping just feels off and that is one of the biggest aspects of whether a 3D platformer is going to be good or not. The level design is also just kind of plain.

Raider Kid & the Ruby Chest - Another mini Metroidvania that goes one step beyond GB aesthetic... to Gameboy COLOR aesthetic! Okay that's a simple enough evolution but it manages to work for me. It feels like a mostly authentic GBC whip-em-up and it's a bit simple but I could see myself playing this if it has a cheap price point.

Project Absentia - Absentia's whole gimmick is that it's meant to look like a Newgrounds cartoon from the early 2000s, which may just be a convenient cover for the designer's abilities, but you can't say it doesn't nail that. I thought it was interesting that I found a secret area in level 2, and then found a secret area WITHIN that secret area by interacting with a bookcase. Okay, the game itself... it's fine. It's made in GZDoom so you move inhumanly fast (and somehow have a dash on top of that??) and enemies give very little feedback from weapons. It's not ideal for the Steam Deck vs M&KB, but it's ok. It's another early access FPS so it'll take probably 3 years to finish.

Spoorky - This one's at least mildly tragic because it is a Mario Maker style game with a relatively solid feel of play, but only had 2 reviews on Steam and is seemingly shutting down its servers in the near future. I played it just out of curiosity because there are gonna be demos/games on Steam that end up being a time capsule for what once was or never became. And if Spoorky does go down and get delisted then this demo would be the only thing left of it.

Speebot - So, compared to the previous 3d platformer, the jumping in this feels SLIGHTLY better, but it's a very basic game. Your only ability is jumping and the angle sticks to overhead which almost makes this more of a top-down 2.5D platformer than actual 3D. Nothing special.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Owl Inspector posted:

Ok, I finished the last singleplayer game I was working on so it's time to start a new game. What should I play next? Here's everything I'm looking at which isn't in early access. I know these are all pretty much interchangeable but thought I'd see if the thread recommends any of them in particular

Oh my God buy and play Pentiment immediately!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

fyi pentiment is on game pass so if that is cheaper or you're already on it, can go that route

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019

Artelier posted:

fyi pentiment is on game pass so if that is cheaper or you're already on it, can go that route

How do you get into these games where the gameplay is reading?Even the sonic visual novel murder mystery had some gameplay movement mechanics, does that exist in this?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I am Andreas Maler. I studied theology and my day job is working at a monastery, except I also really love occultism. can't get enough of it. I'm sure everyone here will be cool if I share this.

also, I'm obligated to pet every animal I see.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

re: Northern Journey- I will recap what I said when I originally played it;

It's a fantastic game, but I bounced off hard towards the end. It bummed me out a lot since it has a perfect atmosphere, characters, interactions.. but the combat set pieces towards the end got really boring to me (especially a certain underwater scene) but I did continue from there. I honestly think that with less combat and just focus on adventure it would've hit 100% for me, but of course YMMV. It's definitely worth checking out though, a single dev project that tries to do something different, and all the designs are incredible. It just didn't click with me towards the end.

And if anyone hasn't played Pentiment or Case of the Golden Idol, get on it immediately!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

kneelbeforezog posted:

How do you get into these games where the gameplay is reading?Even the sonic visual novel murder mystery had some gameplay movement mechanics, does that exist in this?

I haven't properly played it yet but on controller you can like, move the character using directions as opposed to point and click, if that makes you feel better.

Speaking of reading games, I just binged through The Life and Suffering of Sir Brante and wow, what a game, starting another run immediately

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've played through the first day and pentiment is absolutely fantastic so far. good recommendation!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Owl Inspector posted:

I've played through the first day and pentiment is absolutely fantastic so far. good recommendation!

You chose wisely :hai:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

TeaJay posted:

re: Northern Journey- I will recap what I said when I originally played it;

It's a fantastic game, but I bounced off hard towards the end. It bummed me out a lot since it has a perfect atmosphere, characters, interactions.. but the combat set pieces towards the end got really boring to me (especially a certain underwater scene) but I did continue from there. I honestly think that with less combat and just focus on adventure it would've hit 100% for me, but of course YMMV. It's definitely worth checking out though, a single dev project that tries to do something different, and all the designs are incredible. It just didn't click with me towards the end.

yeah it's definitely gonna be a real hit or miss game, even certain bits or sections are going to be hit or miss depending on the player because i loved the spoilered section from your post but there were other parts of the last quarter-ish of the game that weren't quite as amazing as what came before. though i feel it's also inseparable from the broader game that northern journey is - it's so good because it's one dev making strange loving decisions with his video game. that strangeness is inseparable from the bits that were less pleasant to play, it's inseparable from the feeling of discovering the dangerous and the unknown, which is the feeling of sublime horror (beauty which is immeasurable, formless, puts your Reason into a choke hold as it tries to grapple with what it perceives).

i made a long rear end post about it after i finished it but these were my thoughts on the very particular kind of player friction that northern journey has with its combat:

Foul Fowl posted:

and yet. i still pushed through. i mostly have zero tolerance for stuff in games that i don't enjoy but i think northern journey gets away with it in my brain for a few reasons. 1) the game is made by a single dev so i'm much more forgiving of all weird decisions, and because it has such a clear vision throughout it's definitely part of the intended experience 2) because the enemies are so unpleasant to fight, you really appreciate all of the increasingly mechanically complicated weapons you get to fight them, reinforcing the thematic content of human ingenuity and conquering nature 3) going through areas you've cleared is great 4) since most of your weapons are affected by gravity and the insects move in a very insect-like way, becoming better at fighting them takes some amount of skill and it's very satisfying to line up three perfect shots in a row 5) it makes the game feel grounded, which is important when the game goes so out there in so many other ways 6) it leads to some moments of profound terror.

i did play it on the deck which made it a lot harder to aim. and it's possible i am huffing some pure strain copium wrt the combat because i loved the game so much.

the copium has never tasted so sweet

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Pentiment hit me with 6D6 points of emotional damage towards the end of the game so the writing is definitely affecting, something very few games can reasonably claim I think. Besides like, being so stupid you get mad irl.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

kneelbeforezog posted:

Some people enjoy reading

Nah I'm funnin but it's like asking how people get into games where the gameplay is shooting. Folk like different things.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I will say that text-heavy games (or even just those with a lot of meaningful dialogue) demand a little more from me than I'm able to give on a weekday evening after making dinner. I've got a pile of indie games+pentiment waiting for me to go on vacation.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

I enjoy games with reading to a point, but I spend so much of my life reading text on screens that I wish there was an e-ink reader I could just plug into my computer, mount next to my normal monitor, and pipe game and website etc articles to that

And so even though I much prefer story-based games, thinking about eyestrain just keeps me from committing to those 20-60h long games with hundreds of thousands or millions of lines of text that I'd just be hammering into a pair of already largely destroyed eyeholes

e: to clarify, i havent checked into this in a while but i remember every time i had this frustration and went to check out the market for e-ink monitors and stuff, it's always super expensive, like $700+

boofhead fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 22, 2023

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
What's the word on Wildfrost?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

kneelbeforezog posted:

why does anybody like videogames at all, all you're doing is pressing buttons

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

You are aiming your eye at a word and then reading it. It's basically the same thing as a FPS

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

kneelbeforezog posted:

It's like reading a book with a multimedia production running in the background.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

kazil posted:

You are aiming your eye at a word and then reading it. It's basically the same thing as a FPS

Visual novel where you center your cursor over words and click on them and they gib and change what's going on in the story

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Bad Seafood posted:

I've really enjoyed it, there's a nice take on deck building where instead of costs each card just takes a turn to play. There's a lot of room for thought and strategy on arrangement of characters on the board, turn order, making cards count, and deciding which of your guys will be hit by an enemy attack. So much so that as I've gotten better I've begun redrawing way more often as burning a turn to have a hand prepped for an enemy attack is way more valuable than playing a suboptimal card.

It's got a lot of ways to affect the field and the numbers are balanced in a way that most decisions have weight.

Most of the negative reviews are "game is unbalanced" and I definitely hit some walls as I started, but given I'm consistently hitting endboss and now most of the time when I die it's from a specific stupid decision I see the instant after I end turn. Occasionally I die because I realize I have a terrible team/deck that just doesn't have the oomph to win a battle but that's my fault in what cards I picked and misplayed along the way.

A more accurate review is the game isn't unbalanced, it's just hard. I hope they don't reduce the difficulty because as I pushed through I realized the tactical depth the game has. The incredibly cute art threw people off I think.

Edit: a point in it's favor and a part of the difficulty is that there are way fewer battles in a run compared to most roguelikes. Every fight is essentially an elite or boss fight, no filler.

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 22, 2023

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Bad Seafood posted:

check out the last few pages of the roguelike thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563643

the most glaring negative ive seen posted isnt that its hard, it is that you get very few options to actually build your deck in a deckbuilder.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Waste of Breath posted:

Visual novel where you center your cursor over words and click on them and they gib and change what's going on in the story

Punching the reporter in Mass Effect 2 but you can do it to every character.

mystes
May 31, 2006

kneelbeforezog posted:

I mean, if people enjoy reading, why shouldn't they enjoy a game which is basically just a book with visuals and music?

That said I'm too lazy so if it's something like a visual novel I'll just watch lets play videos where people read all the text out loud

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is there a thread for emulator help? I can't find anything

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/fight-4-your-friends-coop-shooters?partner=nintendeal
Fight 4 your friends bundle
$10 and $15 tiers

Games:

quote:

Back 4 Blood
Zombie army 4
Warhammer:Vermintide 2
Killing Floor 2 digital deluxe
The anacrusis
Zombie Army Trilogy

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

kazil posted:

lol

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Wasted opportunity to not have Octopath 2 in a bundle with this title

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

New on Fanatical:
Build Your own trinity:
3 for $4.99/5 for $7.99/7 for $9.99

quote:

Tokyo xanadu eX+
Homefront the revolution
Street outlaws 2 winner takes all
Indie Carts Ultra racing
NG
Overpass
Intravenous
Autonuatz vs Piratebots
Zengeon
Police stories
Desolate
Pocket Cars
Crash day redline edition
Splash cars
Painkiller black edition
Race countdown

Star deal:
World of Warships starter pack (free to play)
$4

quote:

Dreadnought dlc
7 day premium membership pass

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
People here might now: there was a goon-made roguelite RPG on itch.io where you picked your party of 3-4 and you fought enemies by rolling dice and allocating them, each class had their own dice with custom sides. It was really minimalistic but very neat! Does anyone remember the name?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Slice and Dice, maybe?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Slice and Dice!

Efb

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, that's almost certainly Slice and Dice and it rules hard.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Buff Hardback posted:

Mr. Sun’s Hatbox: took me an hour to get to grips with the gameplay loop but oh my god it’s great

Yeah it's a gem. Haven't even dipped into co-op but I'm excited to try it, the option in the menu to enable "friendly neck-snapping" got a laugh out of me

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

going hard on demos today

Bits & Bops (coming soon) - While Melatonin was fun, it was a bit unremarkable as far as Rhythm Heaven clones go. Bits & Bops, however, is already proving to be on par with the actual Nintendo franchise. What really sticks out about B&B is the extra attention to details and surprises. While Rhythm Heaven levels typically move elements around in the second half of levels to obfuscate them, B&B relies on both obfuscation and fun sight gags to attempt to distract you and throw off your rhythm. This is best exemplified in the level shown above, where the thing being photographed will sometimes change in surprising ways that will make it more difficult to maintain focus. It's pretty brilliant on top of just being a fun way of keeping things visually interesting. With Rhythm Heaven I always prefered the Remix stages to the originals because of how much they kept me on my toes, but B&B's regular stages are already very entertaining as is.

COGEN: Sword of Rewind ($25) - If the screenshot gives off a vague sense of familiarity to you, consider that Copen from Luminous Avenger iX 2 is a DLC character for this game and it'll click into place. Not by Inti Creates but another developer looking to fit into the same space, Cogen mixes that slashy Megaman Zero feel with a Prince of Persia-esque rewind mechanic. Any hit will kill you, but you can rewind up to 3 seconds (each second a notch in your time bar). So functionally you have 3 "lives" so to speak that regenerate automatically but slowly. The demo could've been better, as it plops you into "training"-themed levels that do not really show off the actual full visual asethetic of the game, but I can see how this would be entertaining to IntiCreate fans.

Dancin' Divas (coming soon) - This is one of those G-rated horny games where it doesn't technically cross the line but you know this was developed with one hand. It's a beat-em-up with 4 ladies, three of which have impossibly tiny waists and one of which is very large, engaging in cartoon slapstick violence to enemies to get their relics back. Couple of things... despite the obvious horniness at play here (and to be clear, it is published by an ero game publisher so I'm not misreading anything), I actually kind of liked it better than the Fallen City Brawl demo I played yesterday?? I mean it's not amazing but the dev put a lot of fun cartoony animations into the game, characters go AWOOGA and you can bop enemies with big wooden hammers. Uh the character from Japan has a special attack where she rings a gong and a dragon enflames everyone? So uh IDK how to feel about that. I'm not gonna buy this myself because there's just better beat-em-ups out there, but it was a little amusing at least.

Discolored 2 (coming soon) - So... I must've missed something because I've played Discolored 1 when it was an Apple Arcade title, and I don't remember there being multiple characters and cutscenes. Like I'm sure the grey suit with the sunglasses was in 1 but IDK who these other two people are. I played this for about a half hour and it was fine, I'll probably play the full game, but it needs better signposting. Some stuff is just too hidden. Like all of the TVs are off, but ONE of them has buttons you can push. Why would I check for that? The game could've had the buttons more lit up than on the other TVs, but they didn't. So you've got the 3D version of a pixel hunt, adventure gaming's bane.

Find All 4: Magic (coming soon) - Remember what I said about pixel hunting? Well here it's fine because it's a hidden object game so that's kind of the point. This is one of those "we've put a bunch of cats on a drawing" games but at least the drawings are properly integrated into the world. And as you find all the objects in a section of the screen it fully gets colored in. Given that these games usually only go for like $3-4 bucks, I guess I'll have to dip into the series properly now.

Gedda Cake (coming soon) - Despite the fact that you play as a fat dragon, I'd say this just falls under general 'furry' category rather than 'g-rated horny' like I described with Dancin' Divas. there's no weird weight gain animations like that one game on Steam that people kept bringing up in this thread. It's just a Metroidvania where you're a weightier dragon lookin' for his family, fighting monsters, and getting new abilities by eating cake and finding recipes. The demo gave me a fireball attack, dash and one of Gedda's siblings joined up, who could swim underwater and had a water element to put out flames. So elemental vulnerabilities/blocks will be a thing. Combat is fine, there were a couple hidden walls and I found a few pieces of heart. So it's got the stuff I'm looking for. I don't love the Hollow Knighty aspects of having perk badges you can equip, and enemies respawning after using a checkpoint, but at least the map fills in by itself...

Tonight I will probably look at: Humanless, Junkienator, Madcap Mosaic, Poltergirl, Project Downfall, A Rat's Life, Recolit. I still have so many demos to go and I promise like 99% of them are not horny. And I mean that percentage literally, I think I have 100 demos still installed on the Steam Deck right now and 1 of them IS definitely horny, while the rest aren't. And then, once all those demos are done? Well, I have another 100 to install that I've already written down in my notes......

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Yup! Thanks :)