Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fart simpson posted:

did u have that dude anymore

no he got fired at the same time

he seems to be doing fine now though, i still have him on linkedin :shrug:

e: idk if fired is the right word, cuz we gave him like 6 months of wages too since he'd worked there for 10+ years and the boss felt bad for, y'know, helping to completely ruin his life

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

google had a handful of kegs in the kitchen downstairs from where i used to work and a bunch of liquor bottles in my team area. i never saw anyone drink to excess or anything like that, though. for all the booze that was _around_, people only drank it very occasionally. which was really nice - if you wanted a beer there it was, everyone expected that you'd act like an adult. but also there was no expectation that people _would_ be drinking.

one of my friends who worked at google was the leader of a whiskey club and they got super drunk in the office at least twice a week but it was expensive booze and most of them were euros/australians so I think they got a pass

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The coding academy I went to as part of my re-skilling was also a coworking space, and had 1 beer tap that was unlocked each day at 4pm (and after noon on Fridays). The quality of the keg they had was a nice barometer of how close to bankruptcy the whole operation was. During the beginning of my time there the keg was usually some fancy local craft beer. Then it started being a generic big-name domestic. As I was graduating they hadn't replaced the empty keg for a few weeks.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Everything is technically a crime with a 1000 yuan fine; but if the law has an 8 in its number they'll let it slide. if it has a 4, punishment is the death penalty

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Truman Peyote posted:

my office has beer and wine around and people will gather for some at the end of the week. used to be much more common before covid obviously. once i left the office happy hour at like 6, went and got good and drunk with a pal of mine, then returned to the office to pick up my bag at like 10:30, and found two of my coworkers still there sippin brews and shooting the poo poo lol

lol

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

LanceHunter posted:

The coding academy I went to as part of my re-skilling was also a coworking space, and had 1 beer tap that was unlocked each day at 4pm (and after noon on Fridays). The quality of the keg they had was a nice barometer of how close to bankruptcy the whole operation was. During the beginning of my time there the keg was usually some fancy local craft beer. Then it started being a generic big-name domestic. As I was graduating they hadn't replaced the empty keg for a few weeks.

lol

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
y'all actually wanting to drink on the job are weird

last thing i want to think about when i'm getting a buzz is fixing my goddamn jira tickets, what gets me through the friday working day is the anticipation of jira-free intoxication at the end of it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sapozhnik posted:

last thing i want to think about when i'm getting a buzz is fixing my goddamn jira tickets, what gets me through the friday working day is the anticipation of jira-free intoxication at the end of it

yeah the last startup I worked at had a big "chill in the office" culture which I had no interest in and was probably part of why they canned me. dudes all giving me poo poo for leaving at 5 when I came in at 8 and ate lunch at my desk meanwhile they roll in at like 11, go to lunch for an hour and bs about video games until like 3 at which point they buckle down for maybe 2 hours before going to the lounge for drinks and games

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its just american hoesiks

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Sapozhnik posted:

getting my employees too drunk to drive to keep them at the office even longer :cenobite:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

qirex posted:

roll in at like 11, go to lunch for an hour and bs about video games until like 3 at which point they buckle down for maybe 2 hours before going to the lounge for drinks and games

sounds p good tbh

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Sapozhnik posted:

the trick is we didn't do any work on friday afternoon, it was an excuse to shoot the poo poo w/ your colleagues

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

graph posted:

sounds p good tbh

absolute dogshit life, leaving your office half drunk at 730 pm. waste of an evening
sendgrid loved doing that.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its pretty good if you like your co-workers

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

or hate your family/housemates, i guess

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i don't drink with my coworkers because i like them

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
once you realize the distinction the infeasibility of a drinky work culture becomes immediately apparent

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

the only actual friends i have ever made on the job were at my last job where i did in fact get very drunk with my coworkers

not all the time, though

it is pretty hilarious how much drunker some software companies are than a literal beer company, lmao

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

graph posted:

sounds p good tbh
it was the definition of a bad culture fit, most of them were good people but everyone was just too into being quirky and weird and making major product decisions via yelling and I was really focused on classes and having a social life outside of work so boring 9-5 megacorp lifestyle has proved a much better match for me

it's a shame in a way because if I'd managed to stay on until vesting I'd probably own a house right now [it was early stage splunk]

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

kingcobweb posted:

ZIZEK: zhe contradictionsh of expected and actual behavior from workersh are laid bare mosht plainly in, as we shee, "taking a charge," where zhe player, in the end, playsh defenshe by standing still, and so, in effect, refushing to play defenshe for a second, in much zhe shame way as a worker may "network" with zhe boshesh, and thush, be sheen as a more effective worker to the bourgeois even ash they do no work at all.

MARK JACKSON: to me, that's just great defense.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

rotor posted:

hmm maybe it IS a threat display

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

the koreanthian

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
one time at work I had dropped something below the sink (no cabinet) and found that someone had stashed a smirnoff liquor bottle there, right in the crevice between the plumbing and bowl.

i get that the computer toucher open office situation often doesn’t have drawers to store stuff in, but man there’s got to be a better way. airplane bottles perhaps

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Nybble posted:

one time at work I had dropped something below the sink (no cabinet) and found that someone had stashed a smirnoff liquor bottle there, right in the crevice between the plumbing and bowl.

i get that the computer toucher open office situation often doesn’t have drawers to store stuff in, but man there’s got to be a better way. airplane bottles perhaps

my sister worked at a music venue in high school and a pregnant lady snuck a bunch of booze in in airplane bottles

because she wasn't actually pregnant, she just took the weights out of a sympathy suit and filled it with booze bottles

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

FCKGW posted:

my old boss used to keep a 6 pack under the raised floor of the data room

this actually reminds me: when i worked in kuwait my colleague and i found a six pack of newcastle brown ale in the server closet of the embassy that was being decommissioned.
god only knows how long it'd been there, but the ambassador told us we could keep it and enjoy it.

unexpected alcohol out of nowhere like that was the highlight of my time there

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shame Boy posted:

no he got fired at the same time

he seems to be doing fine now though, i still have him on linkedin :shrug:

e: idk if fired is the right word, cuz we gave him like 6 months of wages too since he'd worked there for 10+ years and the boss felt bad for, y'know, helping to completely ruin his life

sounds like he was fired with severance

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space
at work there's alcohol of some sort at every other desk (and all fridges) but people rarely drink during the week. plenty of drinking happens at the parties/gatherings tho

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
they used to let us drink company supplied booze from 3pm on Friday in the ISP call centre I worked for and it was a complete poo poo show which somehow went on for years. then I went to work for a resourced company that had a total booze ban because the mines were dry sites so the office was too in solidarity. neither was ideal but I'd much prefer the dry office.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

quiggy posted:

crushing a code one with the boys

mods?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Cold on a Cob posted:

the trick is we didn't do any work on friday afternoon, it was an excuse to shoot the poo poo w/ your colleagues

i had a manager that just gave everyone part of friday afternoon off. everyone would get their work done quick and disappear, which was great encouragement to get out the door too

if there was poo poo shooting after was on us to figure out, which was great for sunny days and bars with patios

i've never worked somewhere with a drinking culture in-office and i'm fine with that. the rare event on-site with booze always felt wrong because walking back to my desk to get my bag buzzed in a fluorescent-lit office felt super depressing

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Turns out Humane’s (Hardware start up with a bunch of ex-Apple people) revolutionary new device is…a projector in your pocket. So instead of holding your phone in your hand you can hold a projector in your pocket and nothing in you hand. You still need to hold up your hand as if you are holding a phone so it has something to project onto. Probably also doesn’t work very well outside.

https://twitter.com/ElunaAI/status/1649346712178249729

Looks like an MIT Media Lab demo from 2008. Pretty sure this exact idea has already been tried several times before. Like I’m sure there is some no name Android phone with a built in projector that does a lovely job of this already.

Edit: Basically thread title. This just sounds like an inherently terrible idea.

Pulcinella fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 22, 2023

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
ive always wanted a 64x64 monochrome display projected onto my hand. i am excited for this lovely future

they also have one of those nonsense web urls where you cant find it unless you already know it https://hu.ma.ne/

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

I’ve definitely been in a few 10am meetings where someone rocked up with a drink and got some side eye. it was a startup so it very much had a culture of drink some stress away but anything before lunch got some shade.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

many years ago i had to go to the US on a work trip and the looks you get when you order a beer at lunchtime...

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

qirex posted:

yeah the last startup I worked at had a big "chill in the office" culture which I had no interest in and was probably part of why they canned me. dudes all giving me poo poo for leaving at 5 when I came in at 8 and ate lunch at my desk meanwhile they roll in at like 11, go to lunch for an hour and bs about video games until like 3 at which point they buckle down for maybe 2 hours before going to the lounge for drinks and games

god i would hatw that poo poo so much. i just want to get back home, gently caress hanging out at work and pretending to be productive

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Sweevo posted:

many years ago i had to go to the US on a work trip and the looks you get when you order a beer at lunchtime...

highly variable ime

like obviously lots of the us is puritannical but i personally have never gotten shade for having a beer (though i stick to low abvs) in a lunch sitch before.

i don't make a huge habit of it though, i personally don't really like boozy work environments - not because i care if someone has a beer now and then but because it almost inevitably ends up getting someone sloshed that really shouldnt be

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
one of the most fascinating interviews I was a part of was when we all (4 engineers plus the manager) took the candidate to lunch. The candidate ordered first and got a beer. Generally not done at our company at all, but one of the other engineers didn’t want him left out I guess, and ordered one as well.

He then ordered a second.

Still hired him because he was a really good engineer. And then he’d have a beer for lunch, even when eating at his desk.

But to his credit, he never got drunk and was decent at his job, so *shrug*

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

post hole digger posted:

i wasnt there this year, but at our holiday party a lot of the younger new hires who'd never been to a corporate party like that before were doing shots at the bar before dinner and two of them barfed on themselves and had to be sent home in a cab lol

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

post hole digger posted:

i wasnt there this year, but at our holiday party a lot of the younger new hires who'd never been to a corporate party like that before were doing shots at the bar before dinner and two of them barfed on themselves and had to be sent home in a cab lol

lol