Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

w00tmonger posted:

was following a guide for a 5lb brisket on the treagger and Im thinking it led me astray.

3 hours this morning at 250 till it hit 165, wrapped, then was expecting another 6 in the foil hit 205. Hit 205 at 2.5 hours though so I pulled it for a rest

what the hell happened here?

It was a five pounder. Did you inject it with any beef broth/stock? That would help slow the cook time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

w00tmonger posted:

was following a guide for a 5lb brisket on the treagger and Im thinking it led me astray.

3 hours this morning at 250 till it hit 165, wrapped, then was expecting another 6 in the foil hit 205. Hit 205 at 2.5 hours though so I pulled it for a rest

what the hell happened here?

That's not super quick for 5lb. I've also read that Traeger/pellet grills tend to cook a little faster than other methods, perhaps due to more precise temperature controls. If it hit your target temp and has the flavor and consistency you want, that's a success.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 19, 2023

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

That's normal for a 5 pounder. Most brisket guide times that are like 12-18 hours assume you're cooking a 12-18 pound brisket.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Rescue Toaster posted:

Did you wrap the pork butt? If so I'd be way more suspicious that it was dry because it was undercooked and not fully rendered. Especially if it was soft on the outside and tougher in the middle. I get that a lot unless I go to 205F+ internal, but I always wrap because I'm in a hurry.

But if it wasn't wrapped, and the meat was dry at the outside then yeah, consider a higher temp so it cooks a bit faster. How long was it taking unwrapped? 12-14+ hours?

No, I’ve never wrapped shoulder.

For some reason the temp just stopped climbing basically. I should have taken it off earlier but leaving it meant I could just let it rest until dinner time while the ribs were cooking. I’ll know better next time. I think it ended up being on there for 18 hours and never broke 195. It was still edible especially with a little sauce but definitely not optimal. Great bark at least.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I never used to wrap shoulder until I started putting it in a pan with stock and covering it with foil at the stall. Remove the foil for an hour in the end to get some bark back. It's so good.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Kaddish posted:

I never used to wrap shoulder until I started putting it in a pan with stock and covering it with foil at the stall. Remove the foil for an hour in the end to get some bark back. It's so good.

This is the way.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

The last butts I did, I refused to wrap and so they took like 17 hours.

Doing a brisket this weekend. Gonna make me some burnt ends too. Can't wait.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

No Butt Stuff posted:

Explains the username.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Unwrapped butt stuff usually makes it take way LESS time for me. Def not 17 hours

Beer Gay So What
Apr 20, 2023

THEY MADE THE BEER GAY AND THATS OK

No Butt Stuff posted:

Doing a brisket this weekend. Gonna make me some burnt ends too. Can't wait.

I recently did a small baby brisket and it took an extra 6 hours to hit temp, hope the endeavor is worthwhile though! I've been making breakfast potato pancakes for lack of better words with my leftovers (taking leftover mashed potato, brisket, mixing in some egg, flour, onion, bell pepper, etc) all week and its been delicious.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Brisket

Trimmed 2 lbs off a 10 lb brisket

Hardware store rub because I am lazy

Now for a margarita and some sleep so I can put this thing on at 3 am

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Is that Meat Church? Don’t sell them short, they’re awesome rubs. My local ACE has a great selection from them.

Good luck!

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Bob A Feet posted:

Is that Meat Church? Don’t sell them short, they’re awesome rubs. My local ACE has a great selection from them.

Good luck!

ACE also sells the King Malcolm Reed's stuff.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
To celebrate getting a new job, I reverse seared two huge honkin' prime ribeyes. Smoked them at 225 with a bit of oak to 100 internal and then seared them over a blazing bed of lump charcoal. I tried the cold grate method that SnS pushes and I'm a believer now. Also parcooked some asparagus and threw it on the grill just enough to lightly char, then topped it with pepper and parm.

No pictures because it was dark when I finished and we were starving. The steak had a great crust and the smoke level was just right. I rate my current meat coma 5/5

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Taking it off and separating point from flat. Flat got wrapped and tossed in the cooler at this point
Point

Point turning into burnt ends

Burnt Ends sauced and rubbed and back on the smoker for an hour or two

I’m a bit disappointed in the bark but it’s part rub and probably part temperature.

Separating was super easy and the part I was most nervous about.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Trying some salmon.

225 till it was about 90 then up to 300 to finish it off.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I don't know why I found this so amusing. My neighborhood grocery store has these 'recipe pack' things when ordering online. One was for brisket mac and cheese. It just had the components to make one batch of mac & cheese and then a $90 brisket, no salt, pepper, etc... or actual directions for smoking it as far as I can see.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Rescue Toaster posted:

I don't know why I found this so amusing. My neighborhood grocery store has these 'recipe pack' things when ordering online. One was for brisket mac and cheese. It just had the components to make one batch of mac & cheese and then a $90 brisket, no salt, pepper, etc... or actual directions for smoking it as far as I can see.

Just cube it and boil with the pasta, easy!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I’m resting a big ol pork butt in the toaster oven on the warm setting (155 degrees).

Been resting since about 10:30am. It should be fine in there until 5pm right?

Right???

A brisket would be.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I’m resting a big ol pork butt in the toaster oven on the warm setting (155 degrees).

Right???

A brisket would be.

Yeah, its fine. Only risk is drying out a bit.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Hopefully my foil boat will return much of the juices. We will see!

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Right???

A brisket would be.

Wrap it in butcher paper if you're worried about it drying out. Otherwise you are giving it the long rest it deserves.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Only time I ever had trouble with a dry butt was when I accidentally cooked it twice :downs:

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Was wicked moist as always! Couldn’t even tell a difference after resting 6 hours in the toaster oven. Good to know that’s an option now. It was done waaayyy ahead of schedule and was worried how to keep it safe until dinner.

10lb butt rubbed in mustard, Lawry’s, bbq rub, and put in the WSM at 6:30pm last night. Smoked over Kingsford briquettes, two chunks of pecan, and one chunk of hickory.

Mostly kept the temp 225-240ish. It jumped up to 260 once or twice but no big deal. This morning it probed about 180 degrees at 6am, so I gave it the old foil boat. Was probe tender at 10:30am and was 200 degrees.

Went right from the smoker, into the toaster oven using the “warm” setting. That kept the internal temp at about 160 until dinner time. Turned the toaster off at 4pm and let it cool a little until I shredded and served at about 5pm.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Oh god yes

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Nice bark. Well done.

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

Got my old offset smoker out for the first time this year, since we have a long weekend for Labor Day. Doing a boneless pork shoulder, since I'm out of practice (and this smoker is a bit finicky). Actually two haves of a shoulder, since I didn't plan ahead at all and that was what they had at the butcher.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I've got 3 racks of ribs on my new Gravity 800 and its been extremely slow. I put in some probes to measure the air temp and the main grate is showing ~30 degrees lower than the grill is and the second level is showing 65 degrees. I guess I'm going to have to run some more tests because that doesn't seem ideal.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

How long did you let it get up to temp? It can take a while for the entire thing to even out. Where are you measuring? The left-hand side of the grill is usually significantly hotter, and that threw me for a loop because it's on the opposite side of the firebox.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Internet Explorer posted:

How long did you let it get up to temp? It can take a while for the entire thing to even out. Where are you measuring? The left-hand side of the grill is usually significantly hotter, and that threw me for a loop because it's on the opposite side of the firebox.

The last two hours I was staring at the temps since dinner was overdue and they were pretty stable. I didn't start the cook with those extra probes in, only after 4 hours and things didn't seem to be as far along as they should. After I noticed the temps seemed kind of low I bumped them with the app and watched the other probes go up about the amount I increased it by and stabilize. I had both probes on the left side but the main grate one was maybe a little too close to the front?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Got a couple pork butts half off but didn't have time last weekend so I put them in the freezer. How long in the fridge to thaw? About 10lbs each.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Oh no. Oh no...
Help!

Meijer has BOGO pork butts.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

toplitzin posted:

Oh no. Oh no...
Help!

Bogo with God

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Wow how hot.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

honda whisperer posted:

Got a couple pork butts half off but didn't have time last weekend so I put them in the freezer. How long in the fridge to thaw? About 10lbs each.

Ten pounds each or ten pounds total?

Probably at least 3 days.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

toplitzin posted:

Oh no. Oh no...
Help!

My Fry's had butts on sale for $0.99/lb the other day. Which is annoying because I've had too much pulled pork lately and no freezer space for it.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Ten pounds each or ten pounds total?

Probably at least 3 days.

10 lbs each.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
What?

quote:

had butts on sale
What?

Fry's is more than an out of business electronics store?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Dango Bango posted:

My Fry's had butts on sale for $0.99/lb the other day. Which is annoying because I've had too much pulled pork lately and no freezer space for it.

Harris Teeter here in NC had pork shoulder at that same price and I am going to smoke that up for pulled pork on Friday. Going to miss super cheap pork when we move out-of-state in a few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Sam’s here had beef cheek on sale. 8lbs for $20. My wife said no because “you make barbecue a lot.” I’m beginning to wonder if she’s even from Texas. Do we have a relationship sub forum? :ohdear: