Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

shocked drat pikachu, who knew 600+ dollar gpus don't sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

wargames posted:

Low sales?
Lower the price?
No, false scarcity!

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Arrath posted:

Low sales?
Lower the price?
No, false scarcity!

Honestly EVGA got out when the getting was good.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
The 4070S and 4080S are probably going to be pretty great, what's the ETA at this point? Took 9 months to go from the lame $599 2070 to the decent $499 2070 Super.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Brave of them to address such a small slice of the market.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Arrath posted:

Low sales?
Lower the price?
No, false scarcity!

It's not really scarcity if you can just buy one in a store for MSRP. It is NVidia saying "Is the pricing wrong? No, people just need time to figure out what a good deal it is!" which, you know, good luck

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Lockback posted:

It's not really scarcity if you can just buy one in a store for MSRP. It is NVidia saying "Is the pricing wrong? No, people just need time to figure out what a good deal it is!" which, you know, good luck

Fair, call it "preventing overstock" or whatever. Doesn't change how lame this all is.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Lockback posted:

Minimum i7 9700?

The game looks no more graphically impressive than Doom Eternal.

The environments trailer looks a little better than the gameplay trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqSJyWeZSY8

They say they're using the full UE5.1 suite with Lumen and Nanite, but they don't seem to be making very impressive use of it. Like, it's okay? Pretty decent for fully real-time lighting even, but the requirements still seem heavy for the visuals.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

They say they're using the full UE5.1 suite with Lumen and Nanite, but they don't seem to be making very impressive use of it. Like, it's okay? Pretty decent for fully real-time lighting even, but the requirements still seem heavy for the visuals.
it's very impressive that the visual design makes it not seem even the slightest bit different switching between 4k and 1080p on that clip

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

The 4070S and 4080S are probably going to be pretty great, what's the ETA at this point? Took 9 months to go from the lame $599 2070 to the decent $499 2070 Super.
I’m not sure anyone expects Supers this gen. We didn’t have them last gen, just Ti, and the 4070 Ti already exists.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

It's like somebody crossed Myst with Star Citizen ("EMERGENT RIVERS GAMEPLAY!!!!")

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

For some reason the art is giving me huge 90's FMV game vibes. Like Myst or somesuch.

Parts of it look real good but other bits appear to be from a game that came out a few years ago.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
One game channel (I think it was LevelCap?) put out a video recently about an indie game that's told from the perspective of a police bodycam and it hides a lot of the imperfections by stylistically using fisheye lensing and simulated H.264 artifacting to make the graphics look disturbingly realistic.

Immortals of Aveum looks really pretty but that eerily realistic found-footage type style feels so much more visceral because of how it looks like you're watching a livestream of real footage.

I wonder if we're going to see a trend where developers try to add realism to their visuals by giving that sort of streaming video imperfection.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
A lot of games use film grain for similar reasons

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

creepy weird cctv guy simulator 2024

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4060-ti-priced-at-399-us-same-pricing-3060-ti-3070-ti-performance/

The price leaks have been reasonably accurate thus far, except for the 4070, which was quickly corrected to $599. Hopefully this one is accurate too, because even though this should probably be a lower-end SKU anyway, it'll be nice seeing a model number with the same price as last gen. And if this comes true, then it may be another sign that Nvidia is preparing to lower prices on their higher-end cards too.

The "3070 Ti performance" part of the rumor is realistic too. That's about a 25% improvement over the 3060 Ti, though the VRAM stagnation is disappointing and could be a problem in the future, especially at 1440p and up.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 22, 2023

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

One game channel (I think it was LevelCap?) put out a video recently about an indie game that's told from the perspective of a police bodycam and it hides a lot of the imperfections by stylistically using fisheye lensing and simulated H.264 artifacting to make the graphics look disturbingly realistic.

Yeah it looks pretty intense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qvVNzsJyB0

https://www.pcgamer.com/unrecord-announcemen/

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

I’m not sure anyone expects Supers this gen. We didn’t have them last gen, just Ti, and the 4070 Ti already exists.

I'd say we kind of did have them last gen, but it was done in a much more muddied way. The 3080 12GB is kind of like a Super, in that it has more memory and is faster than the original 3080. And I think some of the plethora of 3060 variants that could be counted as Supers.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Meanwhile, what hobbyists are doing with UE5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_5s4dGmgr8

Obviously we aren't gonna get anything like this in a shipping game in the near future, but it's interesting to see the difference between what we're getting in these early days of UE5 and what is actually possible with the engine.

This project is also doing some simulated camera effects to trick your brain into thinking you're seeing camera footage, which makes it seem more real. It's just a lot less heavy-handed about it than Unrecord.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 22, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Obviously we aren't gonna get anything like this in a shipping game in the near future, but it's interesting to see the difference between what we're getting in these early days of UE5 and what is actually possible with the engine.

This project is also doing some simulated camera effects to trick your brain into thinking you're seeing camera footage, which makes it seem more real. It's just a lot less heavy-handed about it than Unrecord.

that looks incredible goddamn

I just whispered "how the gently caress..." repeatedly for a few minutes - the first thing that really tipped me off that it wasn't "real" was some pop-in on the shadows at about 2:10 and again at 3:00

still, that's really impressive. Can we get Skyrim looking like this?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Modded Skyrim with shades of Far Cry 3 looking rear end video

Okay now that is badass but would give me motion sickness I think

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

I'm too jaded, as soon as I saw that smeary mess over there illusion broken.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Both Aveum and that UE5 hobbyist project look not super impressive, they're leaning too far into the hyper-real which causes your eyes to pick out the inconsistencies such as how the smoke from the chimney disappates into nothing instead of being a steadily rising haze, the water in both projects looks like poorly defined poo poo, etc.

Aveum looks way the gently caress worse than the other, EA is going to spend a shitpile of money for a complete dogshit game, since the gameplay is as inspired as the graphics, and we're all here to laugh at it.

VVV Pretty much, that bodycam game even though it was likely "gameplay" did a better job of fooling me into believing it was realistic via sound design, actor/camera movement/distortion, and faint artifacting you'd see on a lovely bodycam than either of the other 2. There were definitely some smeared textures and you can find lots of problems if you pick through it, but the artifacting covered for it in the moment.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Apr 22, 2023

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
You're describing the uncanny valley basically, and it's gonna be an issue with a lot of ue5 projects that try to go for realism

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Yeah that camera trick makes it look identical to any one of those 4k city walking tour channels on YouTube, very cool.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

wargames posted:

welcome to the death spiral of more expensive GPUs -> less GPUs sold -> shitter PC AAA games -> go back to 1

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Twerk from Home posted:

Lol, value? Not on my watch

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The problem with that is that the 4080 Noctua that I so covet will never come down in price, ever.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Google Butt posted:

Yeah that camera trick makes it look identical to any one of those 4k city walking tour channels on YouTube, very cool.

A Rambalac walking simulator game would be so nice

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
The grass at the beginning of that Aveum vid looks like it was animated in flash, it has that cheap looking effect of stretching back and forth instead of swaying naturally (which the trees behind seem to do). Same with the pale foliage in the second scene. Definitely one of those uncanny valley triggers where they'd be better off leaving it static if they can't manage realistic motion.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I'm too jaded, as soon as I saw that smeary mess over there illusion broken.

Yeah for as good as most of it was (that lake view :kiss:), there were some noticeably crap parts. What really got me though was how choppy the video was, genuinely hard to watch at points. And why go to all that trouble then only upload 1080p/30Hz.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i don't get how you aim in that bodycam game without the weapon being locked to the center of the screen, or a diegetic laser sight, or anything like that

does it just have really aggressive aim assist?

https://twitter.com/esankiy/status/1649104852704690178

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

repiv posted:

i don't get how you aim in that bodycam game without the weapon being locked to the center of the screen, or a diegetic laser sight, or anything like that

does it just have really aggressive aim assist?

now THAT is amazing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
maybe it's going to be one of those 90s games like A Fork In the Tale with Rob Schneider or Silent Steel where you select choices and it plays out results?

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The problem with that is that the 4080 Noctua that I so covet will never come down in price, ever.

Make your own. Strapping a12x25s to a GPU is a time honored tradition. (Or t30s, or p12s...)

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I know we meme constantly about people who say pc gaming will die, and I don't think it will either, but they sure are doing their best to make that happen with... you know... *gestures at the entire market*

The combination of huge gpu price increases, financial recession, general crash in tech employment as a whole (who are by far the main buyers of these parts), and then the stark realization that UE5 is going to be too much for the vast majority of consumer cards to handle, is a hell of a development.

Also, I'm not saying this is deliberate but it's very upsetting how quickly the entire world economy is pivoting to essentially drop the bottom 80% of humans out of the economy. The GPU situation mirrors what is occurring across the globe in almost every sector.

Palladium posted:

welcome to the death spiral of more expensive GPUs -> less GPUs sold -> shitter PC AAA games -> go back to 1

100%, it's a positive feedback loop. The only saving grace here is that UE5 is designed to facilitate creating a smooth-ish end product for all platforms. Therefore, for now, it still makes sense to throw PC gaming a bone. But that reverts more by the day and the mechanism of the positive feedback mean there is no obvious way to stop the decline.

Kind of like how we're coming to a baseline consensus that we can't stop climate change; it's not just the situation itself, its how the various components strengthen each other to make a really lovely unified whole and effectively prevent solving it.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
dlss only works as a performance crutch for devs if people can buy your dang gpu's, too

i guess that's the danger of next gen having vastly more memory as well, if it means devs just shovelling stuff into 12/16 gb of vram

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I'm only on PC for wow, everything else is on PS5 now. Too many lovely PC ports.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

these things tend to go in cycles - (pc) gaming's a cheap hobby overall
i think there'll be a vocal move back towards the PC once console gamers are confronted with current gen games like Starfield running at 30 on the consoles

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
PC gaming is going to be fine. AAA gaming is not. What was the last AAA release on any platform that was actually good? Like something that you would put on a list of games that someone has to have experienced? It's been loving years, the industry is collapsing. Almost all the top-rated games now are produced by small to midsized teams with no to midsized marketing budgets. Those type of titles tend to not be super demanding.

That's probably more than anything else what is helping consumers avoid buying overpriced GPUs. There just isn't a need for them, and it's been going on long enough that people's FOMO is fading.

I think part of it is a shift where the industry is having to adapt to multiple new things and doing so badly because it's always been a high profit margin industry that never truly targeted being efficient and adapting particularly well. We'll eventually see some big budget games that have that "must play" pop to them again, but it'll probably be a few more years.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It's basically my benchmark now, so either it comes way down or I wait for something in the 5000 series that hits that mark.