Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Gripweed posted:

Im tired of people talking about biblically accurate angels.

Take an interesting thing and turn it into a meme and it's instantly unfunny and uninteresting and I hate it. I thought memes would go away by 2012 but gently caress

DrBouvenstein posted:

Ahh, Torque. Come for the blatant Pepsi Co product placement, stay for Adam Scott holding a giant key:

haha wtf

I seem to recall loving Torque. Maybe it's worth another watch.

\/\/ there are a couple times angels are described as some Lovecraftian horror. It's not like a new revelation (roffl) either; the books are fuckin old \/\/

credburn has a new favorite as of 02:55 on Apr 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

It's just one of those dumb meme things. Angels show up all the time in the Bible as normalish dudes, but because Ezekiel saw some Wheels within wheels every trivia brained dullard feels the need to let you onto the psuedo-esoteric knowledge they've picked up.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Gripweed posted:

It don't make no difference. It's easier to believe in this sweet madness.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Well the point is that angels are not nice people who went to heaven and got wings. They were created directly by God before he created the world. Satan is an angel.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Everything in a Monotheistic faith was created by God. It's only when you get into Dualism or Gnostic thought that says some things were made by a bad dude version of God as well.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Only Adam and Eve were created by god, everyone else was bred into existence.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Christianity is a weird one because it's a monotheistic religion whose leaders spent hundreds of years attempting to explain how one logically be both fully human and fully divine. They probably would have loved the idea of the half button press in Mario 64 speedruns.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Lilith, I'm sorry I forgot to mention you. Adam's first wife, who was an angel.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

dinahmoe posted:

I am very pleased that slouchy socks are back. I wore them all through the 80s. I just got a pair of red and white Jordans that look really cute with big baggy socks.

Hell yeah

I'm not gonna lie that post was something that popped into my head half-asleep but in the cold light of day I stand by it 100%

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

doverhog posted:

Lilith, I'm sorry I forgot to mention you. Adam's first wife, who was an angel.

No, she was a human. She became a monster later but she very much started as a human.

She also originated from a satirical poem from around a thousand years ago. She’s, in the timescale of Judaism, not all that old

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

doverhog posted:

Only Adam and Eve were created by god, everyone else was bred into existence.

Yes bit the start point of a thing still has a bearing on the thing itself.

I edited this because I read this as "everything else" not "everyone else"

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 11:10 on Apr 22, 2023

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Adam and Eve were the first created by God, but later when Cain is cast out he goes to live with a bunch of other folks God created I guess sometime between Eve and the Abel Incident.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
yeah the bible makes a ton of sense

doverhog
May 31, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

No, she was a human. She became a monster later but she very much started as a human.

She also originated from a satirical poem from around a thousand years ago. She’s, in the timescale of Judaism, not all that old

Love the confidence that the thousand year old poem is somehow a less reliable source than what ever other sources you have from that time and/or before.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

doverhog posted:

Love the confidence that the thousand year old poem is somehow a less reliable source than what ever other sources you have from that time and/or before.

I mean, yeah? That's literally a basic tenet of historiography. Sources closer to the event tend to be more accurate that sources from hundreds of years afterwards. There are exceptions of course and you need to account for the political and social pressures faced by the writers at the time, and you should see what's better supported by the archaeology and other sources, etc. But it's still a decent guiding rule of thumb. And if we're talking about a poem from 1,000 years ago, early medieval sources are not typically known for their accuracy about classical history.

klugman
Jan 28, 2009

alexandriao posted:

It strikes me that the people who actually need to know and remember the horror of the holocaust so that they don't support a modern version, either do not have the means or are already treating it as some kind of weird-rear end theme park

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Adam was made from clay.

Angels from fire.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Adam was made from clay.

Angels from fire.

Depends on which version you believe. There is a lot of stuff that ain't in the bible about Angels. Mainly because they are kind of not really clarified in the main text.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

doverhog posted:

Huh? What are you accusing me of here? I’m just saying that Lilith as Adam’s first wife first appeared then.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In Norse mythology the first Humans, Askur and Embla, are made from driftwood that Odin and his less famous brothers find on a beach while exploring the planet they just crafted from the corpse of a primordial giant that is in some versions kinda sorta their great grandfather.
Because of this the old Norse word for undead/ghost was Draugr which means wooden log or dead tree.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

Huh? What are you accusing me of here? I’m just saying that Lilith as Adam’s first wife first appeared then.

Sorry, didn't mean to accuse you of anything.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Here's a popular opinion: you're both loving lame

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Disco Pope posted:

My parents bought me a birthday/their anniversary trip to Krakow earlier this year and My dad booked me and my partner an Auschwitz-Birkenau tour without asking. I was a little conflicted at first, but I'm glad I did it.

Not because it was fun, or not because it wasn't depressing, but because I think we can never get complacent or think genocide is reduced to history or was some kind of "one-off". And that's something our guide impressed on us - this isn't something abstract. This is ever present, it's just that the Nazis industrialised it. I think you can *know* this stuff abstractly, but it really does hit different.

I wouldn't blame anyone for not going, and I got really pissed off at the small number of people who seemed too dumb to realise the gravity of where they were, but the presentation is sober and respectful and I left with sense of responsibility and vigilance. Of course, your mileage may vary, but I certainly don't regret going. And our guide chewing out the disrespectful without giving a gently caress about reviews or customer service was great.

EDIT: I went in angry and sad that the holocaust happened, I left angry and sad that it could happen again

Yeah I mean I only have to look at the recent laws being considered in the UK or US for trans folks and I get scared shitless that they're going to finally do a Genocide, but like if you need to go to a foreign land to get the same experience thats valid too i guess

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

doverhog posted:

Sorry, didn't mean to accuse you of anything.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Here's a popular opinion: you're both loving lame

I do not understand where this hostility is coming from. I just like discussing mythology

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
those websites where when you scroll parts of the website stay where they are and other parts scroll over them loving suck

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Gripweed posted:

:agreed: I mean, for gently caress's sake, WE GET IT.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

Gripweed posted:

those websites where when you scroll parts of the website stay where they are and other parts scroll over them loving suck

I miss desktop apps that weren't just websites.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Would someone please point me to all this biblically accurate angel discussion? They’re cool looking but maybe I’m not in enough bible groups or something

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Snowy posted:

Would someone please point me to all this biblically accurate angel discussion? They’re cool looking but maybe I’m not in enough bible groups or something

It’s just a thing people make a lot of memes about because it’s a funny concept.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Here's a lovely kind of elitist opinion: I wish people made their own jokes instead of just parroting a phrase or something from a meme. People treat these like "inside jokes" but it's not an inside joke if everyone on the Internet has seen it. Biblically accurate angel -- interesting connection you made there, first time I saw it!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

credburn posted:

Here's a lovely kind of elitist opinion: I wish people made their own jokes instead of just parroting a phrase or something from a meme. People treat these like "inside jokes" but it's not an inside joke if everyone on the Internet has seen it. Biblically accurate angel -- interesting connection you made there, first time I saw it!

Buddy

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i only know about the what angels looked like from the bible thing cuz of the videogame bayonetta

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

credburn posted:

There are fundamental differences between trying to be funny, parroting a phrase, and sharing a meme. I agree that making your own jokes is more effective when you're actually trying to be funny. That said, reposting a meme is more like saying "here's this thing I saw that I thought was funny" than actually trying to be funny.

As far as parroting phrases goes, are you talking about in general, on Facebook, or on the forums? If you're talking about the forums, I don't see how our catchphrases could not be considered an inside joke. The forums aren't nearly as ubiquitous as Facebook, the catchphrases require at least a LITTLE context, and they definitely (usually) seem more like "here's this silly thing we all know about that I thought was apropos" than actually trying to be funny.

Eridine
Aug 11, 2011

YeahTubaMike posted:

There are fundamental differences between trying to be funny, parroting a phrase, and sharing a meme. I agree that making your own jokes is more effective when you're actually trying to be funny. That said, reposting a meme is more like saying "here's this thing I saw that I thought was funny" than actually trying to be funny.

As far as parroting phrases goes, are you talking about in general, on Facebook, or on the forums? If you're talking about the forums, I don't see how our catchphrases could not be considered an inside joke. The forums aren't nearly as ubiquitous as Facebook, the catchphrases require at least a LITTLE context, and they definitely (usually) seem more like "here's this silly thing we all know about that I thought was apropos" than actually trying to be funny.

More like OldYeahTubaMikeLess

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Even though Vice City got me into '80s pop, the unique radio tracks on GTA3 are better than the "real" copyrighted material on Vice City, San Andreas and beyond.

e: You might say that this is a change on my part, but it feels like I just can't take no more. When I play a Grand Theft Auto game, I just like to bump to the music forever.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 20:13 on Apr 23, 2023

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

YeahTubaMike posted:

I like the parroting of phrases of SA stuff because that is sort of an inside joke we're all part of.

In real life I get the same annoyance whenever someone mentions Scarface and then we all gotta do our Scarface impressions and bond over it like it's not a ubiquitous thing.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

YeahTubaMike posted:

turn your monitor on

fake e: wait, wrong person!!!!!

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

credburn posted:

I like the parroting of phrases of SA stuff because that is sort of an inside joke we're all part of.

In real life I get the same annoyance whenever someone mentions Scarface and then we all gotta do our Scarface impressions and bond over it like it's not a ubiquitous thing.

so you're annoyed at... social bonding rituals? :thunk:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

part of the charm of that particular social bonding ritual is that everyone does it slightly differently and also badly, so you get to bond over being bad at something together (unless you practice, in which case you're a freak! a freak i say!!!!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

credburn posted:

Not many people know that, but poo poo Michael Caine impersonations are much funnier.