Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
if you're straining a shaken cocktail and getting a noticeable amount of non-ice solids in your mesh strainer, you probably need to be straining your citrus juice before making drinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

my kinda ape posted:

https://www.caskers.com/linden-leaf-cocktail-elements-orange/

I ordered all 3 kinds from there so whenever it shows up I'll report back.

These seem pretty good so far if you want to add an expression of orange/lemon/lime without actually keeping fruit on hand.

Caskers loving sucks though. The Cocktail Elements stuff shipped in a timely manner but the other 3 bottles I ordered shipped from 3 different vendors. One made a shipping label right away and then sat on it for a week+ before actually shipping it, it finally got delivered today. Another got charged to my credit card and they haven't even bothered making a shipping label, and the last had an initial charge when I ordered two weeks ago that has now disappeared and Caskers sent me an email this morning saying there is an issue with my payment and I need to contact my bank to have it fixed (??? I used my Amex card which is working fine) or they will cancel my order in a week. Clown company.

Anybody have any favorite recipes that require a citrus expression for the full effect so I can try them out some more?

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Just a basic fine mesh strainer should be enough. I think mine is whatever they sell at walmart/target and I’ve had it for years. If it clogs between drinks then I invert it and tap against the wall of sink. Knocks it all loose. Maybe a quick rinse. Spoon squish trick works too as others have said.

If it clogs a lot and you can’t get through one drink then maybe you just have more pulp than usual. Could be the quality of the ice creating lots of shards. Depends on the drink and the volume you’re making I guess. But I wouldn’t worry about it too much. It’s just a strainer.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Yea straining your citrus first is a great idea. Also a toothbrush every once in a while works wonders for cleaning your mesh.

Otherwise, and this is the equivalent of “did you try turning it off and back on again,” you are using a Hawthorne strainer at the same time, right?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The Maestro posted:

Yea straining your citrus first is a great idea. Also a toothbrush every once in a while works wonders for cleaning your mesh.

Otherwise, and this is the equivalent of “did you try turning it off and back on again,” you are using a Hawthorne strainer at the same time, right?

Yes. I am going to get a new hawthorne. I have the OXO one and am going to get the cocktail kingdom one w/ the really tightly wound coil. I just hate having to pay shipping for amazon purchases.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Ugh I hated the Oxo one so bad

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Scythe posted:

Shochu and chuhai beg to differ, as do the ten billion salarymen passed out drunk every night near every train station in Tokyo.

In the many adaptations of Japanese products served at American restaraunts, I generally have found the Chuhai to be conspicuously absent. Fresh fruit, soda, and alcohol base is just tasty.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

If you really need to clean your strainer just soak it in some bleach water for ten minutes then toss it in the dishwasher

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Fun tip involving Hawthorne strainers: you can remove the spring and pop it into your shaker tin with egg whites to get more foam out of your dry shakes.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I have two mesh strainers, and I find one is SIGNIFICANTLY better for filtering ice while still allowing the drink to flow. The other gets jammed with ice shards and kinda sucks. Not sure why, maybe size of the mesh holes is different, or form factor.

I wanna get one that looks more vertically conical, mine are kinda rounded and flat.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cocktail+kingdom+hawthorne+strainer&sprefix=cocktail+kingdom+ha%2Caps%2C173

What is the difference between 0, 2 and 4 prongs? Is one better than the others for some reason? I'm guessing the Koriko is the one to focus on?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I have this one: https://a.co/d/30LCmHa

I never noticed prongs until you posted about them, just that there’s no handle and that’s easier to use for me. Works fine.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Waltzing Along posted:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cocktail+kingdom+hawthorne+strainer&sprefix=cocktail+kingdom+ha%2Caps%2C173

What is the difference between 0, 2 and 4 prongs? Is one better than the others for some reason? I'm guessing the Koriko is the one to focus on?

Koriko 2 prong was always my favorite

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

I have this one: https://a.co/d/30LCmHa

I never noticed prongs until you posted about them, just that there’s no handle and that’s easier to use for me. Works fine.

That's the one I have and I don't think any hawthornes have handles. Do they?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Pander posted:

I have two mesh strainers, and I find one is SIGNIFICANTLY better for filtering ice while still allowing the drink to flow. The other gets jammed with ice shards and kinda sucks. Not sure why, maybe size of the mesh holes is different, or form factor.

I wanna get one that looks more vertically conical, mine are kinda rounded and flat.

There are 2 common gauges for strainer meshes, one tighter and one looser. You can tell if you look closely

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Mine has one...

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Yep and I hate the form factor of them, which is why I got the oxo one without it!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I just remembered how much I love a classic 2:1:2 Manhattan with half an ounce of Ancho Reyes added. So good

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I had zero time to go anywhere but a supermarket by the hotel on my business trip to Brazil, and the most expensive bottle was this one at about $11USD, but it's pretty drat good :)

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I had zero time to go anywhere but a supermarket by the hotel on my business trip to Brazil, and the most expensive bottle was this one at about $11USD, but it's pretty drat good :)

That's a good looking caipirinha

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TengenNewsEditor posted:

That's a good looking caipirinha

Lol I was gonna post this verbatim except "fine"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Aww thanks friends :yaycloud:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Ypioca is a good choice

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I've a mess off grapefruit, any fun cocktail ideas beyond greyhounds?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Palomas!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Especially if you use a nice smoky mescal instead of just tequila, +1 to Palomas.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Siesta's are nice

1 1/2 ounces tequila
3/4 ounce lime juice
1/2 ounce grapefruit juice
3/4 ounce simple syrup
1/4 ounce Campari

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I remember posting a nice grapefruit cocktail a little while ago, lemme find it...

Sir Lemming posted:

After being blown away by a cocktail called Grapefruit Smash at a restaurant in Raleigh called Brewery Bhavana, I finally got off my lazy butt and made some honey syrup (and bought some grapefruit). Their menu lists the ingredients as "gin, aperol, grapefruit, honey, lime" and I think I managed to get the proportions right on the 2nd try.

1½ oz gin (I always have London dry, haven't tried a different one)
1 oz Aperol (tried 1½, was too bitter)
2 tsp honey syrup (1:1)
1 small lime (cut into 8 chunks)
About ⅛ of a grapefruit (cut into 6-8 chunks)
Ice

I did what I think is the usual "smash" thing where you muddle the fruit and syrup in a rocks glass, then add the gin & aperol & cracked ice, then stir.

It's fruity as hell, but also really herbal and dry. Highly recommended.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Navy Grogs and Volcano Bowls are some of my favorites but if I just want something simple, fruity and long a sea breeze with a nice unaged rum can be nice too. Just fill a glass with ice, add 2oz of whatever white rum you like, Banks 5 Island has been my preferred lately, strain half a grapefruits juice in and top with a bit of cranberry juice.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Buy a decent bottle of umeshu and just add grapefruit juice and soda water if you want some fizz. Dunno what it's called but it's delicious.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Hemingway Daiquiris. Peel the grapefruit and make a tasty syrup also

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fart Car '97 posted:

Siesta's are nice

1 1/2 ounces tequila
3/4 ounce lime juice
1/2 ounce grapefruit juice
3/4 ounce simple syrup
1/4 ounce Campari

What a pleasing shade of pink this makes.

Also quite tasty. I hadn't ever thought of Campari with tequila, but it's not a bad combo

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tonight I made pomegranate daiquiris for my wife and I (since she got gifted a bottle of Pama pomegranate liqueur):

1oz Pama
1oz pineapple-infused rum I had leftover (50/50 Hamilton Jamaican Pot Still / Plantation 3 star, marinated pineapple for 3 weeks)
3/4oz lime juice
1/2 demerara syrup
3 drops tiki bitters

We both really liked it, hope someone else out there does too!

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

got some chores tonight posted:

i would not describe myself as someone who prefers "sweet" cocktails, but i also recently noticed the discrepancy between beachbum and smugglers cove and i agree that a jungle bird does better with 4 oz pineapple juice than 2 oz.

I'd have to agree with this. I love Campari - Campari neat is one of my favorite drinks - but the Jungle Bird is just better as a highball.

The other night I felt like a Jungle Bird but wanted to use Orgeat. I found the Bermuda Hundred which has Gin in place of Rum and Orgeat for Simple. It sounded interesting but it was very disappointing; don't bother.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

About half the time I replace the campari with Cynar 70. This is very good.

Goddamn I just saw this, need to try it next time.

TengenNewsEditor fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 25, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I haven’t been to BevMo! often lately, but wow! They’re actually trying to compete with Costco now, carrying a lot of 1.75 L bottles at competitive prices

They should have done this along time ago

Too bad their selection isn’t as good now. 40% of the store is snacks now

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 25, 2023

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

How long can a premixed Negroni last?

I like Negronis, but if I have three in a night or two nights back to back, it’s kind of a pain to keep making them when I’m just at home hanging out.

Could I mix a batch of them and have them keep for a few days…up to a week maybe? Or would something go bad/get lost?

Seems like it’s ok but some sites mention proper sealing…do I need to worry about that over a week? I’d put it in a Tupperware or mason jar I guess.

nwin fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 26, 2023

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'd imagine the gin and campari you could keep together. The vermouth you'd probably want to keep separate. I dunno if it would be okay for a day or two or not. But for a 3 ingredient drink of equal amounts, what's so bad about spending a minute making it?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Waltzing Along posted:

I'd imagine the gin and campari you could keep together. The vermouth you'd probably want to keep separate. I dunno if it would be okay for a day or two or not. But for a 3 ingredient drink of equal amounts, what's so bad about spending a minute making it?

I just get tired of washing the jigger and spilling on the counter honestly.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

nwin posted:

I just get tired of washing the jigger and spilling on the counter honestly.

Don't spill and/or get some speed pourers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

nwin posted:

How long can a premixed Negroni last?

I like Negronis, but if I have three in a night or two nights back to back, it’s kind of a pain to keep making them when I’m just at home hanging out.

Could I mix a batch of them and have them keep for a few days…up to a week maybe? Or would something go bad/get lost?

Seems like it’s ok but some sites mention proper sealing…do I need to worry about that over a week? I’d put it in a Tupperware or mason jar I guess.

If it’s in the freezer you could probably keep a batch for a month.