Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

i went from high archon to high crusader which feels pretty bad as most people gained a lot of ranks I think. And in my next game there was a CK who didnt control his illusions once in 30 minutes so DOTA matchmaking really does not think much of me evidently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
been messing with it a bit and zeus is insane right now. If his winrate's gone down, it's probably because a lot of people are using pre-patch builds on him despite static field no longer being a thing and aether lens losing its build-up into octarine. Leaning into Lightning Hands instead and building for AS-based right-click gives ridiculous luna++ farming speed without any mana consumption, and the dps goes from strong to absurd after manta and moon shard. Initially I thought from reading it in the patch notes that he'd fall off and melt to a real pos1, but in actual experience that's not the case -- just needs to make durability/mobility with pike/swift blink/bloodstone/kaya-sange/shiva's/etc

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Yeah I saw a witch blade->manta Zeus wrecking in a pub yesterday. Might be legit

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I’ve been playing on-and-off for years, maybe a few games a month, and I still just buy whatever is on the top-ranked guide for any given hero. Is this how everybody plays, or does there come a point after enough sustained play that you can play a new hero and just know instinctively what you need to buy and when?

I feel like there’s a level of skill above mine where people actually think critically and contextually about the match they’re in and adjust their itemization accordingly, but that just boggles my mind as a possibility!

So I mostly play supports where my itemization is wards and smokes and a 30 minute blink lol

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I think you have to give yourself permission to try stuff. You think about what's been happening in the game -> clockwork/riki have it out for me and cogs trap/smoke bomb kill me, I should deviate my build and get a force staff to escape and live longer in team fights.

The nature of the game is to think about what seems hard for you and your team, and what items you can buy to make those things easier. Another thing you can do is look at your damage spread taken. How much is physical (buy an armor item) and how much is magical (buy a magic resist item).

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

giogadi posted:

I feel like there’s a level of skill above mine where people actually think critically and contextually about the match they’re in and adjust their itemization accordingly, but that just boggles my mind as a possibility!

You're not wrong. I play with crusader stacks on occasion and even in such a low bracket you get people engaging their brain cells.

Then I solo queue at a significantly higher mmr and my carry is too stupid to make the logical leap that if they're getting stunned and blown up with spells every single fight, perhaps buying a BKB is a decent idea.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I haven't played Dota in years, but this update seems neat and I'm considering coming back. I played a solo bot match and I seem to at least remember the basics.

I think at some point I sort of knew how to ward, but right now I have no loving clue. At least I might not be alone in that area because of the map changes.

Enchantress was my favorite hero when I played. I see that at some point Impetus was made a basic ability and Untouchable her ultimate. How much does that change playing Enchantress?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Peewi posted:

Enchantress was my favorite hero when I played. I see that at some point Impetus was made a basic ability and Untouchable her ultimate. How much does that change playing Enchantress?

There is actually a very simple test for determining how a major rework has affected a hero.
Step 1: attempt to pick them
Did someone already pick them? If yes: They are super overpowered. If no: they are unplayable trash.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Peewi posted:

If I remember correctly, that's actually going back to her original design. It really just means you have to be a bit more careful in the early game but have the potential to be a lot more annoying in lane.

She's still best a support though.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i played a game and won with jakiro

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Ogre is kinda fun, not sure how to build him but +3 str gauntlets as first items feels good, gives you like 3 str 3 int for 140 gold. plus with the neutral item tokens and all the camps, feel like midas is an every game option. Been building into halberd after getting aether lens, feel like the 0 int restriction on ogre makes some normal support items like force staff feel bad

idk why they made him 0 intelligence though, i thought his whole deal was one of his heads was smart and one was dumb

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Maybe when it was still tied to Warcraft 3 Lore but Ogre-Magi has this for dotes, even before the newest patch

quote:

The ordinary ogre is the creature for whom the phrase 'As dumb as a bag of rock hammers' was coined. In his natural state, an ogre is supremely incapable of doing or deciding anything. Clothed in dirt, he sometimes finds himself accidentally draped in animal skins after eating lanekill. Not an especially social creature, he is most often found affectionately consorting with the boulders or tree-stumps he has mistaken for kin (a factor that may explain the ogre's low rate of reproduction). However, once every generation or so, the ogre race is blessed with the birth of a two-headed Ogre Magi, who is immediately given the traditional name of Aggron Stonebreak, the name of the first and perhaps only wise ogre in their line's history.

With two heads, Ogre Magi finds it possible to function at a level most other creatures manage with one. And while the Ogre Magi will win no debates (even with itself), it is graced with a divine quality known as Dumb Luck—a propensity for serendipitous strokes of fortune which have allowed the ogre race to flourish in spite of enemies, harsh weather, and an inability to feed itself. It's as if the Goddess of Luck, filled with pity for the sadly inept species, has taken Ogre Magi under her wing. And who could blame her? Poor things.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

My winning strategy so far is to play offlane, rush pipe, then yell at your team to steal their tormentor at 20 minutes. It's a massive gold swing if you get both and pipe makes it easy.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I had some fun with Bristle last night. Troll got a silver edge later but it was too late.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IHuypjzGyk

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

i have won every single ranked game since the patch

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ItohRespectArmy posted:

Unranked but I'm 6:2 so far, and one of those losses we had a right-click CM mid :confused:

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Plank Walker posted:

Ogre is kinda fun, not sure how to build him but +3 str gauntlets as first items feels good, gives you like 3 str 3 int for 140 gold. plus with the neutral item tokens and all the camps, feel like midas is an every game option. Been building into halberd after getting aether lens, feel like the 0 int restriction on ogre makes some normal support items like force staff feel bad

idk why they made him 0 intelligence though, i thought his whole deal was one of his heads was smart and one was dumb

If you're support, I think you build Force regardless of the changes. It does feel bad to waste the int, but it's still one of the most reliable team saves you can buy.

I'm still mostly doing Arcane boots -> disassemble for Lens -> cheap support item based on game (Force/Glimmer/Drums/etc). It really sucks that Lens doesn't upgrade to Octarine anymore but I feel the cast range is too important for support Ogre to get stuns off. Fireblast's base range is absolute garbage.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

all my role queues are gone i had it maxed this is bullshit

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I decided to try a ranked game before work today and had a mid NP furious at me for being a 4k shitter (I'm barely 3k lol) and a Nyx who casually went afk long enough to get an abandon and then just returned like nothing had happened. We still won and the enemy mid started screeching that we got carried by a smurf because he looked them up on Overwolf and it said they were smurf. It might be a new patch but it's still Dota!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Courtesy of Reddit;

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

ItohRespectArmy posted:

I have lost a single one but thats because my team didn't steal the tormentor with me.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ok if i cant find a 120mm fan in one of these computer corpses at work im going to try playing dota again next week

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
first order of business is to pick venomancer and roleplay him in voice chat nonstop & get reported by all. amen

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ssssssshehehehehehe

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

im 2-1 my mmr confidence is 5%

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

im 2-1 my mmr confidence is 5%

7-1 mine is 13% :smug:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
It is absolutely wild how much they stuffed into this update

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
the new neutral item system is not nearly as fun as the old one. they got rid of the griefing possibilities but removed any need to interact with your teammates.

and the new ward health bar pips look like rear end

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Yeah the Juggernaut healing ward just looks really bad right now that no one targets it anymore

source: my one game of unranked dota since the new patch

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I like that the new Token system is at least a random list; I think letting you actually choose from the whole list of items for the given tier would be really bad. But I do wish you could like share your Neutrals with the team?

I like the new ward pips :shrug:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
They're fine, I just wish they were a bit bigger.

Grave Centipede
Apr 19, 2007
"But how can I put my lion's head in the lion's mouth? That act is ruined!"
Found a cool thing to do as warlock. Get the shard and the invisible cloak. Stand near the towers, cast upheaval and allow all the little imps to blow up creeps and take tower hits. Any one who tries to get close is slowed and damaged.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Finally after 15 ranked games it placed me.

Same as it was.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I won ten in a row and then the client placed me with an sf who didn't use a single spell two games in a row

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

idk who said it or if it was in the pro dota thread but I can confirm Lion is still a big loser this patch, they need to just rework the hero or something

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Went 14-4 in calibration and gained... 300 mmr

volvo pls

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I haven't gotten a rank yet but it's definitely putting me in with players who were ranked higher than I was before and they're still very stupid so maybe rank is still fake below immortal

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm surprised they haven't released a followup patch yet for all the bugs and the 60% winrate PL and Riki.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I think they have been fixing bugs in smaller, unlabelled patches, they might let PL and Riki rock for a bit to see how it shakes out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm surprised they haven't released a followup patch yet for all the bugs and the 60% winrate PL and Riki.

im only archon but i've been having good results as BoT2 mid kunkka vs all the PLs, think i'm 5-0 with it