Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Darknuts, Poes, Gohma, Wall/Floormasters

Redeads scare the poo poo out of me but haven't had proper ones in decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Iron knuckles as well as darknuts, especially if both are given the lynel treatment.

Dodongos, because if there's a big cave system under Death Mountain...

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Moldorm would be cool to see again, although I guess they're already kinda in as Moldugas.

I wanna see less Stal enemies, but that's probably not going to happen. Lemme explore at night without popping up for 30 freakin' seconds :argh:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Ooh I wonder what the sky islands are like at night. We’ve only seen them during the day so far.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Zat posted:

I have no dislike towards traditional Zelda dungeons but I think BOTW did the right thing by not featuring any but replacing them with a bunch of micro- and mini-dungeons and focusing on overworld exploration instead. That served this particular game well.

I wouldn't mind seeing some traditional dungeons again in TOTK, but at this point I trust the devs regardless.

This is a pretty common sentiment, but why do the Divine Beasts not count as traditional dungeons in Breath of the Wild? They're certainly as big and involved as a lot of Zelda dungeons, they have a map you have to unlock, you get something from each to help with the rest of the game in the champion's power and personal weapons etc. It just seems weird to me that people act like the game had no dungeons :confused:

Amppelix posted:

i already feel bad for the horses in TotK lol. you think people neglected to use horses in BotW, you ain't seen nothing yet!

i'm almost hoping they'll find some way to not make horseback the obviously least efficient form of travel in TotK but i'm really not holding my breath. you probably can't even use the poor things in the underground areas either, and you definitely can't bring them to the sky islands, so where would you ever want one?? all signs point to them only existing in the game because the system was already ready, so why remove it even if it's a bit vestigial.

They're like cars in a lot of newer GTA clones, including things like the various LEGO games based on properties, many of which allow you to fly for a lot of the characters you can play. The cars are still there, but they're really just a novelty you use once or twice for the sake of it, and then forget. I kind of wish there was at least one vendor/stable that'd allow you to stash oddball mounts like the Stalhorses, Lord of the Mountain or even miscellaneous animals like a bear as someone mentioned earlier in the thread. It'd still mostly be novelty, but at least there'd be novelty as a reason to do it occasionally, rather than just doing it once the first time you see a given possible mount (regular horse, giant horse, Stalhorse, Lynel, Lord of the Mountain etc) and just ignoring them afterwards because there's no reason to do it when you can't even recall them after finally taming them to allow you to ride them. The motorcycle just makes it even more vestigial.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
Give me Patra, Arrghus, Pengator, Guma, and uhh put a Goomba in there as well.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

tsob posted:

This is a pretty common sentiment, but why do the Divine Beasts not count as traditional dungeons in Breath of the Wild? They're certainly as big and involved as a lot of Zelda dungeons, they have a map you have to unlock, you get something from each to help with the rest of the game in the champion's power and personal weapons etc. It just seems weird to me that people act like the game had no dungeons :confused:

I think my complaints, and most people's complaints are that the beasts feel too "same-y" in progress, style, and overall vibe; are relatively short; and have bosses and enemies that also feel that way in look and combat. They also feel similar to shrines in puzzle type and aesthetic so it just gives more of that boredom. Little of the lock&key progress you find in typical dungeons is present as well. In fact, there are shrines that feel more like traditional Zelda dungeons in both size and scope.
Compare that to something like OoT or TP where every dungeon genuinely feels like a different place.

Deceptive Thinker fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Apr 22, 2023

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I really loved the brain tickling that the divine beasts gave me, personally. But I totally do see them as not really dungeons.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
I just realized that if TotK does have Link time travel at some point, both games will have the three scenarios that caused the timeline splits:

Link fails and dies
Link triumphs and is sent back in time after
Link goes back in time and prevents events (maybe in TotK)

Which makes sense for the convergence. It might just be my interpretation but it feels like this is the end of the timeline, or maybe it’ll end up being a loop and TotK is the prequel to SS. There’s still countless untold iterations of this to tell between the beginning and end.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I think my complaints, and most people's complaints are that the beasts feel too "same-y" in progress, style, and overall vibe; are relatively short; and have bosses and enemies that also feel that way in look and combat. They also feel similar to shrines in puzzle type and aesthetic so it just gives more of that boredom. Little of the lock&key progress you find in typical dungeons is present as well. In fact, there are shrines that feel more like traditional Zelda dungeons in both size and scope.
Compare that to something like OoT or TP where every dungeon genuinely feels like a different place.

Which shrines are actually larger than any of the Divine Beasts? The only ones I can think of are Eventide Island or the Labyrinths, and even then (a) that's only a maybe and probably more importantly (b) the vast majority of them aren't actually a shrine, but a puzzle to get into the shrine. The shrines themselves are roughly the same size as most any other, and it's just an automatic win once you get in because getting in was the puzzle. There's not even that much to them in terms of actual mechanics, and Eventide for instance is only really difficult because you lose all your gear when you get there. Beyond that there are a couple of shrines where you have to roam around the overworld doing fetch quests to unlock the entrance. Which I wouldn't say makes the shrines themselves bigger either.

Not to be dismissive, but the majority of your argument seems to come down to "they don't count as dungeons because I don't like them", which I don't think is really a good argument. Sure, you are certainly entitled to not like them, but not liking them does not actually make them not dungeons in and of itself. I'd also add that the majority of Zelda dungeons have quite similar progressions. The actual aesthetic, enemies and lore definitely are different, but the general path of progress in each is often very similar i.e. get the map, compass and unique item to unlock the boss key using the one path through the dungeon that the developers intended using small keys to unlock doors or using the unique item to bypass obstacles and then go fight the boss. Unless you only count actual physical keys as lock and key puzzles then the Divine Beasts aren't even that different, because most of the puzzle in them is navigating the one path the developers intended by using the unique element of that Divine Beast to unlock the path forward, so you can defeat the boss. Which includes finding a map so you can navigate your way around the place. The fact they share an aesthetic for lore reasons within the story just makes them mildly different to other games in terms of dungeon structure though, and not actually not dungeons.

I'd say that they are pretty clearly meant to be the games actual dungeons, as opposed to the shrines, which are just a myriad of smaller puzzles. I can certainly see an argument that making them so similar was a misstep or that someone just doesn't like them, but again, it just seems weird to me to say the game doesn't actually have dungeons at all when the Divine Beasts exist.

tsob fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 22, 2023

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

tsob posted:

I feel the Divine Beasts are quite short and small compared to the dungeons in the previous two big-console Zeldas at least. Also the lack of distinct visual design separating them from each other and virtually no enemies besides the bosses make them lesser than "true" dungeons in my mind. That's why I tend to describe them as "mini-dungeons" and the Shrines as "micro-dungeons".

But like I said, I think this design choice suited this game very well.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
I thought the Divine Beasts were interesting mechanically and but not dungeons, per se. I didn't seem them as "larger Shrines" but they also weren't a traditional dungeon where you get some item halfway through to both unlock the rest of the dungeon and fight the boss with it. BotW defied Zelda convention by giving you all the tools you needed at the beginning so the "dungeons," by extension, had to also operate differently. You do get Champion abilities, which was nice, but the puzzle to get the new item had no place in BotW. I'm not saying that the old way or new way is better/worse but it was certainly a design constraint.

I think TotK is going to find the middle way: you'll get your "primary" abilities at the start but the abilities granted through the Tears won't just be "nice-to-have" but actually integral to progress. My question is how linear it will be. Will you be able to go after any of the 7 at the start (a la Mega Man) or will some be gated until after you complete others? The Legend of Zelda: Tiers of the Kingdom

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I am absolutely going to try to fight Ganondorf first thing armed with a bundle of sticks and attack up food.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cirina posted:

I am absolutely going to try to fight Ganondorf first thing armed with a bundle of sticks and attack up food.

Big same. Looking forward to repeat this

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

FooF posted:

I think TotK is going to find the middle way: you'll get your "primary" abilities at the start but the abilities granted through the Tears won't just be "nice-to-have" but actually integral to progress. My question is how linear it will be. Will you be able to go after any of the 7 at the start (a la Mega Man) or will some be gated until after you complete others? The Legend of Zelda: Tiers of the Kingdom

I hope not, because that's not a middle way; it's just the old way. A middle way would be dungeons that grant abilities/items as part of the dungeon itself but are only necessary to complete the dungeon and not to progress in the overall game. Beyond the dungeon they make things easier, but are not actually necessary. If they are, then what's the difference between that way and any older Zelda title?

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

FooF posted:

The Legend of Zelda: Tiers of the Kingdom

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

tsob posted:

Which shrines are actually larger than any of the Divine Beasts? The only ones I can think of are Eventide Island or the Labyrinths, and even then (a) that's only a maybe and probably more importantly (b) the vast majority of them aren't actually a shrine, but a puzzle to get into the shrine. The shrines themselves are roughly the same size as most any other, and it's just an automatic win once you get in because getting in was the puzzle. There's not even that much to them in terms of actual mechanics, and Eventide for instance is only really difficult because you lose all your gear when you get there. Beyond that there are a couple of shrines where you have to roam around the overworld doing fetch quests to unlock the entrance. Which I wouldn't say makes the shrines themselves bigger either.
Trial of Power and Blue Flame are what comes to mind, but there might be 1 or 2 others (specifically some of the DLC ones were quite long too).

quote:

Not to be dismissive, but the majority of your argument seems to come down to "they don't count as dungeons because I don't like them", which I don't think is really a good argument. Sure, you are certainly entitled to not like them, but not liking them does not actually make them not dungeons in and of itself. I'd also add that the majority of Zelda dungeons have quite similar progressions. The actual aesthetic, enemies and lore definitely are different, but the general path of progress in each is often very similar i.e. get the map, compass and unique item to unlock the boss key using the one path through the dungeon that the developers intended using small keys to unlock doors or using the unique item to bypass obstacles and then go fight the boss. Unless you only count actual physical keys as lock and key puzzles then the Divine Beasts aren't even that different, because most of the puzzle in them is navigating the one path the developers intended by using the unique element of that Divine Beast to unlock the path forward, so you can defeat the boss. Which includes finding a map so you can navigate your way around the place. The fact they share an aesthetic for lore reasons within the story just makes them mildly different to other games in terms of dungeon structure though, and not actually not dungeons.
I'm not saying "they don't count as dungeons" and I'm also not saying that I don't like them. What I'm saying (and most people critical of the divine beasts) is they aren't "traditional Zelda dungeons" in the way that most mainline games contained starting with A Link to the Past.
Overall length - even the longer Vah Naboris and Divine Trial are on the shorter side compared to something like Snowpeak Ruins
Lock & Key - other than the usual small or big keys, the dungeon item itself is usually a key in the traditional dungeon structure. You typically come up against obstacles in the dungeon that are impassible until you obtain the dungeon item. Likewise there are other "key-like" elements that work similarly, like the ball in Link's Awakening's Eagle's Tower or the monkeys in TP's Forest Temple. The map/beast controls attempted to work in this way, but it can be obtained almost immediately after you enter the beast, without any real "initial challenge" getting to it (exception being maybe Vah Rudania). Most puzzles lead to a console with little linear progression (depth) to give the freedom of tackling things in the order you want (breadth).
The aesthetics and theming is HUGE and would have gone a long way to improve the feel of the Divine Beasts. I mentioned above, all of the bosses feel "samey" where every other Zelda game the bosses are unique mechanically and aesthetically. The Water Temple and Shadow Temple actually look like different places. They have different music and textures. The only thing that makes the Divine Beasts noticably different is the layout and the occasional look out the window.

quote:

I'd say that they are pretty clearly meant to be the games actual dungeons, as opposed to the shrines, which are just a myriad of smaller puzzles. I can certainly see an argument that making them so similar was a misstep or that someone just doesn't like them, but again, it just seems weird to me to say the game doesn't actually have dungeons at all when the Divine Beasts exist.

Most people think that BOTW would have been better served with either more or longer divine beasts and fewer (or more meaningful) shrines. Pull some shrine puzzles into the Beasts to extend their length, or combine a bunch of smaller shrines to make longer ones.

I just want to reiterate. I don't think the argument is really "there are no dungeons" it's either "they don't feel like dungeons", "they aren't traditional Zelda dungeons"

edit: I'm basically saying this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GudeeRVNo5U (this series is very good at analyzing Zelda dungeon design overall)

Deceptive Thinker fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 22, 2023

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
On the topic of unlicensed merchandise: I just got this Korok (knockoff) Lego set on Amazon that’s pretty cool and cute.

https://a.co/d/bcU0acg

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I bounced off BotW for years (and not for lack of trying) until hundreds of hours in Elden Ring finally broke through my open world fatigue and allowed me to look at it with new eyes and get all the way through it. But one thing it did was completely spoil me on having a good usable horse. The horses in BotW are so hard to control and coming to a dead stop because there's a small drop-off in the terrain or a small rock is extremely frustrating, and the mechanic of getting thrown off your horse if you push the button too many times is also really bad. I probably spent a grand total of about 10 minutes on a horse in the entire game, and until I got the summoining saddle, I almost never bothered with them at all.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Deathtrap Horsecarts is a cool band name

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Oh yeah, Torrent absolutely spoiled me for horses too. But I still enjoy a nice gallop on Ridey now and again. Also, Always Be Jumping Off Into Bullet Time. (ABJOIBT)

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

God yes. It's been so weird going back to BotW after playing elden ring. What do you MEAN I can't zap my horse to me whenever I like?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I honestly don't understand the divide between the BotW being designed around horseriding and the ancient saddle being paid DLC. Like, I'd think the most fundamental thing would be making the horse summonable in any regular locations like in previous games. Having to go out of my way to find a stable if I've left the horse too far behind just means I'm even less likely to engage with the system and try to give the horses a chance.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I'm actually going to try sticking to roads and 'intended' paths in ToTK. When I was finished up BoTW I noticed there were a whole bunch of intended paths with minimal climbing up to towers and shrines that I totally ignored that would actually have been pretty fun to fight/sneak through, like the spiral path going around the pit with the Gerudo tower.

Sky Islands are probably going to make that trickier, but it should be more interesting than climbing and gliding past everything

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I just think of the horses as streetcars that are intended to stay on the road it is less annoying that they can’t handle rugged terrain and climbing. If you don’t use warp points they’re plenty useful and if you just pop in to gently caress around for a bit they are great.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I used my horse all the time, but I just find riding around, listening to the music, to be very satisfying.

It was very annoying, after Elden Ring, to not be able to pick items up from horseback.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i've been enjoying age of calamity but i just reached the part where time travel starts happening and the sheer amount of stuff it keeps asking me to collect is getting overwhelming

the number of items and rupees needed to unlock these nodes starts to outpace you even if you finish every single combat mission beforehand

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

MonsterEnvy posted:

So other than what has been shown any other classic Zelda monsters do you guys either want to show up or predict to show up.

Goriya because I think it would be really funny if there was an enemy dedicated to throwing the humongous BOTW boomerangs.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

So other than what has been shown any other classic Zelda monsters do you guys either want to show up or predict to show up.

Groose

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Pretty much any enemy from Zelda 1 or 2 that hasn't been seen much or at all since.

Stoked about Gleeok.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Volte posted:

I bounced off BotW for years (and not for lack of trying) until hundreds of hours in Elden Ring finally broke through my open world fatigue and allowed me to look at it with new eyes and get all the way through it. But one thing it did was completely spoil me on having a good usable horse. The horses in BotW are so hard to control and coming to a dead stop because there's a small drop-off in the terrain or a small rock is extremely frustrating, and the mechanic of getting thrown off your horse if you push the button too many times is also really bad. I probably spent a grand total of about 10 minutes on a horse in the entire game, and until I got the summoining saddle, I almost never bothered with them at all.
all of this is good actually and elden ring doesn't have a horse, it has a gameplay contrivance in the shape of a horse

now i don't dislike torrent not being Horse Simulator and it really wouldn't have fit in a game like elden ring anyway but BotW has some of the best horses ever depicted in a video game!

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Chasing the glow at the top of the mountain and coming upon the Lord of the Mountain was one of the most magical experiences I had in the game, right up there with seeing the dragon from the Plateau

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kassad posted:

Iron knuckles as well as darknuts, especially if both are given the lynel treatment.

Dodongos, because if there's a big cave system under Death Mountain...

Darknuts and Iron Knuckles are weird cause they seem to basically be the same thing.

Like their name in japan are Aiannakku and Tātonakku or Ironnuc and Tartnuc. But for some reasons it was translated into Iron Knuckle and Darknut.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Beat the last Divine Beast last night. Thunderblight Ganon's third phase was real tough for me, even with upgraded rubber armor.

Just Ganon now for the main quest. Breaking into the Castle seems pretty drat intimidating after staring at it for the last couple hundred hours.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

You kniw it's beena while since Ive seen a rope

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The devs should've played Death Stranding to take notes since that's still one of the coolest BotWlikes out there.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

MonsterEnvy posted:

Pols Voice. Also you have to buy a microphone peripheral to defeat them

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Bring back some Adventure of Link goobers. They're all right and I wanna steal a Rebonack's horse hovercraft thing

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

I've been playing Minish Cap on Switch and I forgot that that game was pretty fun. Not very hard but it's got some solid dungeons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

Pols Voice. Also you have to link your Nintendo Online smartphone app to defeat them