Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Good poo poo getting to Murph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Live reaction from latest episode: :woop: :woop: :woop:

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Hardwon yelling "Jessica!!!!!!!" after tripping cracked me up.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I know that it might’ve pissed off Murph, but I feel like the only way this most recent episode worked was by making that character into the biggest and most pathetic loser right out the gate.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

kidcoelacanth posted:

good ep today

was a bit worried about leaning too hard into campaign 1 but i think this works really well, plus given the timing and locations of the players right now it makes a lot of sense and doesn't feel like it was pulled out of nowhere. also poor murph cannot catch a break.

I went through a cycle of reactions about it between listening to the episode itself, and the Short Rest. At first I was loved it, especially because they played the character so goofy and silly despite Murph's obvious despair and think it's a great bit of connection until the gang meet Jake's proper new character in Iron Deep, and then as I listened to the Short Rest they talked about de-leveling him and having an arc and I was a bit nervous, because I love the character but I don't want him around for a second entire show either because the character is basically done really. The fact it's just a temporary thing because Jake has to take some paternal leave to help Tucker and Jill makes sense though. I do find the hints about Hardwon having spent so much time in the Astral Plane intriguing however. I'd presume something happened to Moonshine and/or Bev in the Astral Plane and Hardwon has been trying to rescue them for decades.

Also, can someone clarify what crime Callie's mom was locked up for again? Was it just the mistreatment and trafficking of animals or what?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
she was basically running a crime family that smuggled all sorts of natural wonders from the faewild

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

tsob posted:

it's a great bit of connection until the gang meet Jake's proper new character in Iron Deep

depending on how things go he may not even need a new character beyond this if they can get calder back at irondeep

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Farg posted:

she was basically running a crime family that smuggled all sorts of natural wonders from the faewild

Yeah, that's basically what I thought but it seems weird that if that's all it was that Callie would admire her mother and somewhat romanticize her view of her. I know it's her mother and all, but in the past she seems to have been flat out disgusted with her family, and now after meeting Oberon to have somewhat of a more neutral overall view of them, and I assumed I must have forgotten something.

Also, what are the chances of Murph trying to, maybe not redeem Glen but to have Glen come back into the story as someone seeking redemption through action in the future and that warming Callie, I wonder. The character seems ripe for it, but at the same time, Murph seems to look down on the character's actions and personality enough that I'm not sure I can see it happening.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

tsob posted:

Yeah, that's basically what I thought but it seems weird that if that's all it was that Callie would admire her mother and somewhat romanticize her view of her. I know it's her mother and all, but in the past she seems to have been flat out disgusted with her family, and now after meeting Oberon to have somewhat of a more neutral overall view of them, and I assumed I must have forgotten something.

Also, what are the chances of Murph trying to, maybe not redeem Glen but to have Glen come back into the story as someone seeking redemption through action in the future and that warming Callie, I wonder. The character seems ripe for it, but at the same time, Murph seems to look down on the character's actions and personality enough that I'm not sure I can see it happening.

i know Emily made a point of declaring that Callie officially reached a point where she felt like she’d lost her affection for glen and was properly over him, so if there are any future plans for glen it’d have to respect that.

Maybe they can drag him along as a dogsbody and he can be the team gilear

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ainsley McTree posted:

i know Emily made a point of declaring that Callie officially reached a point where she felt like she’d lost her affection for glen and was properly over him, so if there are any future plans for glen it’d have to respect that.

Maybe they can drag him along as a dogsbody and he can be the team gilear

Emily and Callie are both pretty temperamental on that kind of thing though, and while Callie has decided that she no longer finds Glen hot because she's realized how pathetic and manipulative he was, I can certainly imagine her changing her mind on him if she sees him doing something heroic in future in order to make up for his actions in the past. Of course, the other option is that Glen doubles down and Murph makes him even more pathetic and that is symbolized in everyone finding him uglier and less charming.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

tsob posted:

Emily and Callie are both pretty temperamental on that kind of thing though, and while Callie has decided that she no longer finds Glen hot because she's realized how pathetic and manipulative he was, I can certainly imagine her changing her mind on him if she sees him doing something heroic in future in order to make up for his actions in the past. Of course, the other option is that Glen doubles down and Murph makes him even more pathetic and that is symbolized in everyone finding him uglier and less charming.

Yeah i wouldn't mind a redemption arc for glen necessarily, i'd just find it unsatisfying if it ends with callie reigniting a romantic spark with him; I thought it was satisfying character growth to have her put a little bow on that problem she started the campaign with and I wouldn't want to see it undone

best case scenario imo is that he becomes a balnor type, but yeah i wouldn't be surprised if the players pendergreen him even if murph tries to give him a real arc lol

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Yeah, I wouldn't ever want Callie to go back to wanting a relationship with Glen, but just like how Emily talked about Callie stepping back and seeing how small Glen was when viewing him dispassionately, I'd be okay with him having a redemption later on that allows Callie to admit that he's physically attractive, but that just finding him attractive doesn't mean anything on it's own and that the things he's done and been responsible for as well as her own growth in the meantime allow her the perspective to recognize that.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

tsob posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't ever want Callie to go back to wanting a relationship with Glen, but just like how Emily talked about Callie stepping back and seeing how small Glen was when viewing him dispassionately, I'd be okay with him having a redemption later on that allows Callie to admit that he's physically attractive, but that just finding him attractive doesn't mean anything on it's own and that the things he's done and been responsible for as well as her own growth in the meantime allow her the perspective to recognize that.

I could easily see Murph bringing him back as Glen works on stuff and maybe became a better person, but I don't see him trying to bring back the romance aspect.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Why haven’t the naddpod crew written a CYOA book.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

NieR Occomata posted:

Why haven’t the naddpod crew written a CYOA book.

They don't have the rights allowing them to end every choice with Sonic Olaf Funky Kong dead. Otherwise, it's just not worth it.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Caldwell's disdainful "one gong town" made me laugh.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Falseter is my favorite character.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

I was loving the traditional wilderness crawl they were doing in this episode, it was neat to see them do some pretty systemic play,

Then the chickens came home to roost at the end, and I laughed so hard.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i did a re-listen of eldermourne over the past couple months! it's good folks

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Just listened to the latest "DnD Court", and I think Emily is becoming too powerful. Or possibly, everyone is becoming too used to her wild statements. I love that even though they're all aware of how much of a bog they are they all still try and get some extra detail at some point.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I do enjoy the kayfabe of Emily (and Jake and Caldwell but usually Emily) trying to derail everything, and murph begging to keep things on track. But secretly I bet he wants the derail too, he just loves the heat

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
The Melbourne live show is absolutely insane just completely off the walls

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Olanphonia posted:

The Melbourne live show is absolutely insane just completely off the walls

Yeah, I'm not even finished it but I already wish there was more of these reality show spin off one shots on the feed, since I'm pretty sure I've listened to all the Mixed Bags and haven't heard any others. The Cricklorette that Moonshine keeps mentioning sounds loving wild too.

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 7, 2023

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

pray for me, i'm saving today's episode and the short rest for a long drive tomorrow. gonna be a hard wait to mash play on that bad boy

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

kidcoelacanth posted:

pray for me, i'm saving today's episode and the short rest for a long drive tomorrow. gonna be a hard wait to mash play on that bad boy

Welcome, friend. Join me in my delayed NADDPOD Purgatory :getin: (I wait until Thursday night to listen to each Short Rest and it’s very hard sometimes)

No spoilers for the newest Ep (I still have about 20 min to go myself) but drat, poo poo really escalated in this one :stare:

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Lmao there sure we're some Lucky rolls in this one.

I wish I could persuade my DM to get over his aversion to podcasts. Three out of five regulars at the table have at least finished the Bahumia campaign and it occasionally shows in how we interact with each other or NPCs and while the DM rolls with the punches it feels like he'd have more fun if he had more inspiration to draw from than Crit Role and reddit.

Hopefully he'll check out whatever fresh madness Dimension 20 releases in May, I'm psyched as hell just to see Mercer potentially having to handle Emily.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
Did all the 8 Bit Book Club episodes vanish from the feed or am I having a bad dream?

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

They seem to be still on mine

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

JOSEPH SAMOAN posted:

They seem to be still on mine

Mine too

blackcross
Apr 10, 2005

HoboTech posted:

Did all the 8 Bit Book Club episodes vanish from the feed or am I having a bad dream?

If you mean all the original pre-NADDPOD ones, I think they disappeared a few months ago. People on Reddit posted links to archives of them. I swapped my podcast feed to that when it happened so not sure if they came back afterwards.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/xcinseri/status/1647972468802420736?s=46&t=zLXh-Sjo2XE-h19N0o-1-Q

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

this is ridiculous

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

amused and slightly frustrated that jake forgot hardwon doesn't just sound exactly like calder

hardwon calling sol "frog" is very funny though

kidcoelacanth fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 21, 2023

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
look the man has played 3 different gruff down-on-thwir-luck fighters. it's gonna get muddled

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

as long as he doesn't start cooking those beans on a hot plate, it's fine

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
oneshot where hardwon, calder, and hank team up. Jake plays all of them, the other 3 co-gm

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
With guest appearances by Jvlet and Rundown Johnny

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I don't agree hardwon and calder sound exactly the same, hardwon is a lot...dumber than calder and therefore sounds a lot more oblivious and ignorant, while calder's a more inherently tragic figure than hardwon and has the sort of very understated straight man delivery that hardwon lacks.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Hardwon's gruff, Calder's whispery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

NieR Occomata posted:

I don't agree hardwon and calder sound exactly the same, hardwon is a lot...dumber than calder and therefore sounds a lot more oblivious and ignorant, while calder's a more inherently tragic figure than hardwon and has the sort of very understated straight man delivery that hardwon lacks.

they don't usually sound the same, but this episode specifically jake was slipping really hard into calder in a very noticeable and slightly distracting way. not actually a big deal ultimately, but i couldn't help but catch it each time he was talking