Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
lol caught the thread title change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

I have to say, Eida was actually fairly refreshing in this chapter.

She's been incredibly one note since her introduction. Having her come out and admit "Oh yeah, I totally hosed up your life when you've never done a single thing wrong to me, my bad." does a lot to make her seem like less of an aloof demigod and more a normal person with absurd powers. She isn't randomly evil for the sake of it, and the fact that she's able to look at Kawaki and recognize he is being a shithead is quite a nice change of pace.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Poor Eida, of the dateable boys in the world one is a monomaniac and the other is 12.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

I assume Shikamaru will become the 8th Hokage in Naruto’s absence at least

All hail the second coming of Tobirama.

My guess is he'll be an extremely effective Hokage, who in his cynicism will destroy everything Naruto dreamed of actually achieving.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I wonder if the identity switch also affects their appearance to every affected person because Shikamaru should be able to figure out something's up after like one walk through Naruto's house.

A shame they left out Boruto's sister's reaction to everything.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

iamsosmrt posted:

I wonder if the identity switch also affects their appearance to every affected person because Shikamaru should be able to figure out something's up after like one walk through Naruto's house.

Yeah, Himawari’s another factor in this as unless Kawaki’s appearance is altered in the eyes of other people then she should be able to tell that her “brother” looks nothing like her (also didn’t they say something a while back about her potentially being a threat to Kawaki?).

Speaking of, I wonder who’s going to be taking care of her now and if we’ll get to see her at least as a genin after the inevitable timeskip

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

Yeah, Himawari’s another factor in this as unless Kawaki’s appearance is altered in the eyes of other people then she should be able to tell that her “brother” looks nothing like her (also didn’t they say something a while back about her potentially being a threat to Kawaki?).

Speaking of, I wonder who’s going to be taking care of her now and if we’ll get to see her at least as a genin after the inevitable timeskip

Isn't her maternal grandad still alive?

And yeah, I get Eida's really powerful but Himiwari does have a vision-based kekkei genkai so you'd think that'd be a decent hax around it.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Himawari just asks where the byakugan is.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Larryb posted:

It wouldn't shock me if Hima is also immune, as yeah Daemon loving wigged out when he sensed her.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Isn't her maternal grandad still alive?

And yeah, I get Eida's really powerful but Himiwari does have a vision-based kekkei genkai so you'd think that'd be a decent hax around it.

Oh yeah, forgot about him (Hinata’s younger sister Hanabi is still around as well last I checked).

Regardless I’ll be curious to see how they handle her in all this (hopefully she’ll have a bigger role to play in Part 2 at least since as mentioned she seemed to trigger a pretty strong reaction in Daemon)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

Oh yeah, forgot about him (Hinata’s younger sister Hanabi is still around as well last I checked).

The episode with Boruto talking to Hanabi was really good and made me wish she had a more active role.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

iamsosmrt posted:

It doesn't effect it but Eida's technique brute forces it. People noticing big discrepancies just ignore it and carry on. Like Sasuke listed a bunch of obvious issues but said that his mind was just not caring about them.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Hypocrisy posted:

It doesn't effect it but Eida's technique brute forces it. People noticing big discrepancies just ignore it and carry on. Like Sasuke listed a bunch of obvious issues but said that his mind was just not caring about them.

It's very similar to her attraction power. People not near her recognize that her power is profoundly messed up but it just overrides their will when they are near her.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It also doesn’t seem like something Eida can just undo whenever she wants so I’m curious what it’s going to take to put things back to normal (I assume either somehow convince/force Kawaki to make her undo it or kill one or both of them). There’s also the issue of locating Naruto and Hinata and somehow bringing them back to the real world.

Speaking of, I’m curious how much longer the manga is going to run for after it comes back as it seems we’re inching closer and closer to the fight the series opened on (that is, whether we’re entering into a full Boruto Shippuden as it were or approaching the endgame)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how this recent chapter helped to explain exactly how the power works (and why the solution isn't as simple as pointing out the various things that obviously conflict with the new narrative). Sasuke specifically mentions how he can sense the Ootsutsuki in Boruto, which is solid proof that Boruto is who he says he is, but Eida's power is self-reinforcing such that he apparently can't actually persuade himself that this is the case (or at least that, even if he does, it will quickly be undone by the power). So it's only through "adhering to the request of his daughter" that he can even keep up this course of action.

iamsosmrt posted:

As mentioned above, the recent chapter basically addresses this. Sasuke directly points out the evidence that Boruto is who he says he is, but the power is self-reinforcing and you can't "defeat" it by simply realizing that its version of reality doesn't make sense. At most you'll feel temporary doubt that is quickly smoothed away by the power.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 21, 2023

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Caros posted:

It's very similar to her attraction power. People not near her recognize that her power is profoundly messed up but it just overrides their will when they are near her.

Nah proximity does not matter in this case.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

I like how this recent chapter helped to explain exactly how the power works (and why the solution isn't as simple as pointing out the various things that obviously conflict with the new narrative). Sasuke specifically mentions how he can sense the Ootsutsuki in Boruto, which is solid proof that Boruto is who he says he is, but Eida's power is self-reinforcing such that he apparently can't actually persuade himself that this is the case (or at least that, even if he does, it will quickly be undone by the power). So it's only through "adhering to the request of his daughter" that he can even keep up this course of action.

As mentioned above, the recent chapter basically addresses this. Sasuke directly points out the evidence that Boruto is who he says he is, but the power is self-reinforcing and you can't "defeat" it by simply realizing that its version of reality doesn't make sense. At most you'll feel temporary doubt that is quickly smoothed away by the power.

I appreciate this and some of the other replies, and while they may end up being correct, I don't think the chapter really addressed it as deeply as you guys are parsing. It mostly touched on Sasuke's tampered memories and not being able to trust them, the only evidence against it being Sarada's plea, Momoshiki and the headband.

We don't know yet how they'd react to like a photograph showing Boruto with his family, or even Amado's analysis once he sees the wrong Karma imprinted on Kawaki, or even however Kawaki would wiggle out of any conversations where he has no idea how to address Boruto's past relationships or actions with any of his friends or family.

Not that big of a deal I guess, I have a feeling the manga will hand wave over most nitpicky details any way.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's not as bad as it could be, certainly. recognizing the memory alteration doesn't break anything.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

iamsosmrt posted:

I appreciate this and some of the other replies, and while they may end up being correct, I don't think the chapter really addressed it as deeply as you guys are parsing. It mostly touched on Sasuke's tampered memories and not being able to trust them, the only evidence against it being Sarada's plea, Momoshiki and the headband.

We don't know yet how they'd react to like a photograph showing Boruto with his family, or even Amado's analysis once he sees the wrong Karma imprinted on Kawaki, or even however Kawaki would wiggle out of any conversations where he has no idea how to address Boruto's past relationships or actions with any of his friends or family.

Not that big of a deal I guess, I have a feeling the manga will hand wave over most nitpicky details any way.

If so, I feel like that might make for some good anime fodder if nothing else

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like the intent of the "this isn't just an illusion" stuff was basically to point out that you can't just "realize it's fake" because the power is directly acting on your thoughts (rather than just the "inputs" to those thoughts). Sasuke helps not because he has been convinced Boruto is Boruto, but because he loves his daughter enough to do something she obviously cares strongly about.

I think there's still the possibility of other characters helping Boruto, but I strongly doubt it will be through "realizing the truth"; if it happens, it'll probably be a result of Sarada's actions in some way, with "trusting friends" simply overpowering "punishing (perceived) enemies."

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Yeah I mean, the ramifications for what I'm getting at is how things would potentially unravel for Kawaki pretty quickly once people start talking and asking questions about wtf is happening, especially with Sasuke's actions and however Sarada and Sumire play this.

Like I get it's a reality altering jitsu that basically directly impacts your memories and perception of the two brothers, but there's a whole lot of poo poo that wouldn't pass a minor sniff test that would presumably happen during the course of a time skip.

As I said earlier, I generally expect them to not bother addressing this, but similar situations in other stories would probably have an entire arc of Kawaki tying up loose ends and eliminating more innocents to protect his identity.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Decided to read this latest chapter, mostly because I heard that Sarada unlocked the Mangekyo. That was pretty lame seeing her do so halfway through the chapter just to ask Sasuke to take care of Boruto, and then she gets like three or four panels because everything else is setting up the timeskip.

I miss the old writer. The concepts here are pretty cool but the dialogue is soooo exposition-y and then Sasuke spells out how this is mirroring Naruto and Sasuke like every other character in Naruto Shippuden was.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

iamsosmrt posted:

Yeah I mean, the ramifications for what I'm getting at is how things would potentially unravel for Kawaki pretty quickly once people start talking and asking questions about wtf is happening, especially with Sasuke's actions and however Sarada and Sumire play this.

Like I get it's a reality altering jitsu that basically directly impacts your memories and perception of the two brothers, but there's a whole lot of poo poo that wouldn't pass a minor sniff test that would presumably happen during the course of a time skip.

As I said earlier, I generally expect them to not bother addressing this, but similar situations in other stories would probably have an entire arc of Kawaki tying up loose ends and eliminating more innocents to protect his identity.

That's where the power comes in, though. It apparently makes you not care about any inconsistencies (as shown when Sasuke mentions how, even though he notices these weird things that don't make sense, he can still feel himself caring less and less).

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Man that Sasuke side story was cool and ends on a sweet note that actually causes the recent Burito chapter to be better.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
4 month hiatus? :negative:

I'm excited for the timeskip but this chapter reads like a rushed wrap-up.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And here's the last of Sasuke's Story:

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/naruto-sasukes-story-the-uchiha-and-the-heavenly-stardust-manga-chapter-10/chapter/37998?action=read

Did the anime adaptation a while back cut some stuff out? Because I don’t remember the epilogue bit with Sakura, Ino, and Shikamaru at all

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 22, 2023

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Next up should hopefully be Naruto Uzumaki and the Spiral Destiny, which goes into what Naruto was up to while Sasuke was playing with dinosaurs dragons, and was released in english this March

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

How many unadapted novels are left out of curiosity (I know Shippuden and the Boruto anime covered a few)? Also are they still making new books?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Darth TNT posted:

Man that Sasuke side story was cool and ends on a sweet note that actually causes the recent Burito chapter to be better.

I also like that Jiji didn't die, I hate that sort of trope where someone is tragically killed off after being "redeemed."

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

Next up should hopefully be Naruto Uzumaki and the Spiral Destiny, which goes into what Naruto was up to while Sasuke was playing with dinosaurs dragons, and was released in english this March

As I understand it, Sasuke Retsuden was a one-and-done thing due to fan demand, there are no plans to adapt either of the other two Retsuden novels.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

rndmnmbr posted:

As I understand it, Sasuke Retsuden was a one-and-done thing due to fan demand, there are no plans to adapt either of the other two Retsuden novels.

What’s the third one about out of curiosity?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

rndmnmbr posted:

...man, that's stupid

Give me Orochimaru developing Byakugan glasses, dammit

Give Orochimaru SOMETHING to do, for the love of everything

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think it is for the best when orochimaru has nothing to do.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
But then he starts making children!

On second thought I guess you're right, Mitsuki is cool. Shame he's pretty much a background character outside of his one arc.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I honestly think it's more shocking that Mitsuki came out a... well-adjusted normal only a little weird gay snake person, instead of some horrifying monstrosity hellbent on world conquest. I mean, it's Orochimaru. The man woman individual has a reputation.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
orochimaru is not in any way a good person, but they are a good parent. i suppose they were as surprised as anyone to find that out.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I can see Orochimaru being very surprised to discover he has parental instincts.

I can see Orochimaru cloning himself and then vivisecting the clone to figure out where they came from

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I've heard people talking about it happening only in the novels so I wouldn't be against seeing what Orochimaru and Hinata's tea parties look like.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Pyrotoad posted:

I've heard people talking about it happening only in the novels so I wouldn't be against seeing what Orochimaru and Hinata's tea parties look like.

....Orochimaru doing the concerned mother closed-eyed sigh with the hand on the side of their face while venting to Hinata. Alright, I'm down with it.

edit: In light of the probe, I want to make it abundantly clear, that the 'it' I am down with is this hilarious fictional headcanon.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

It started with Orochimaru pushing the boundaries by having a chat with the Hokage's wife, and Hinata far too polite to ask himherit to leave. It ends with a friendship so rock solid and stable you could bend iron bars around it. Also more coffee than a Starbucks.

Girls Parents night out is something to behold.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)