Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Main Paineframe posted:

Much like the real-life capitalists they were meant to satirize, the Ferengi were happy to prioritize bigotry over profit. In particular, they were heavily misogynistic.

Failed Imagineer posted:

???

They didn't even allow females to wear clothes or work until the new Nagus shook things up. If they were willing to pass up that economic activity due to prejudice, I reckon they're gonna need a few more like Rom or Ishka before they get to trans acceptance

These are good points. You are both correct. Rom and Nog and even Quark, the most Ferengi of those three, are massive outliers in Ferengi society. Good thing you don't get probed in here for being wrong or stupid.

e: oh boy sniping with that is tempting fate if I ever saw it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Kalli posted:

Supreme Court issued a stay on the mifepristone ruling. Nothing happens until they rule on it. Thomas and Alito dissented.

Thomas' insane judicial theory and commitment to it is old news and not surprising. But, that Alito dissent is completely shameless. Regardless of the merits on the case, he is essentially agreeing that mifepristone is so innately dangerous and that there is no measurable harm in denying access to it, that out of an abundance of caution they need to restrict it until the case is over. Even if you are wildly deferential to district courts or just someone who thinks the abortion pill should be banned for moral reasons, that kind of argument is bonkers. Even people like ACB and Kavanaugh who are definitely going to be supportive of the district judge on the merits of the case won't seriously make that argument.

Alito was always pretty bad, but he has gone full mask-off crazy in the last 5 years and is even making calls that he himself considered too far in 2008.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Alito was always pretty bad, but he has gone full mask-off crazy in the last 5 years and is even taking steps that he himself considered too far in 2008.

I mean, what is anyone gonna do about it? Appointments for life, baybeeeeeee

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Everyone dunks on Harry Potter for antisemite tropes, but like… c’mon, son.

Anyway Quark seemed cool w gender fluidity since he constantly perved on Dax.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
It sounds like the case will go back to the 5th circuit (the crazy conservative one right?) for a full case in May right? And they will presumably ban it? And then it gets appealed to SCOTUS and they can either take it up (and likely ban it? not sure where Roberts + Gorsuch would stand) or refer to the lower ruling.

Is this a good interpretation of what's likely to happen?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Thomas was probably just mad that the bribes from the drug manufacturers weren't good enough.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

koolkal posted:

It sounds like the case will go back to the 5th circuit (the crazy conservative one right?) for a full case in May right? And they will presumably ban it? And then it gets appealed to SCOTUS and they can either take it up (and likely ban it? not sure where Roberts + Gorsuch would stand) or refer to the lower ruling.

Even the 5th circuit thought the outright ban was too far, but they were okay with stuff undoing a lot of the steps the FDA had taken over the last decade to make access to the drug easier, and they also invoked an 1873 law covering "obscene materials" to make it illegal to mail mifeprestone.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

koolkal posted:

It will go to the appeals court. Same circuit, but not the same judge. The 5th circuit is mostly conservative judges, but the district judge who made the ruling is an especially wild Trump judge who has had nearly all his rulings overturned (by the mostly Republican appointed appeals court) because of how far out he is.

If that gets appealed, then it goes to SCOTUS and Thomas/Alito have pretty clearly signaled they are on board with the initial 5th circuit ruling. But, the other justices haven't really made clear where they stand on the merits. ACB and Kavanaugh are likely to support based on their history and judicial philosophy that REALLY hates executive agencies making their own rules without explicit instructions from Congress.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 22, 2023

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Everyone dunks on Harry Potter for antisemite tropes, but like… c’mon, son.

People have been calling out the ferengi as antisemetic tropes for literal decades

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

As an example of how much Kavanaugh hates executive agency rule-making and how extreme his rulings are in those cases, here is a slightly dumbed down and shortened example: He once ruled that the EPA did not have authority to regulate a certain chemical in the water because the EPA created a rule based on a law that required the EPA to regulate poisonous chemicals in interstate waterways, but the specific chemical was not known as a water pollutant when the original law was passed 54 years ago. So, he believed that the EPA had acted outside the bounds of its authority because it did not go back to congress and get them to pass a new law specifically allowing regulation of this specific chemical because the original "regulate poisonous chemicals" law could never have been written with this specific chemical in mind at the time.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Ferengi from Star Trek have a ton of baggage from TNG, but the Jewish production staff of DS9 and Jewish actor who played Quark are all on record of how they tried to rehab the species. It is debateable on how well they sucedded.

As to actual news and not Star Trek posting: man, I kinda hope Thomas slips in the bath at this point.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

The Ferengi in DS9 were supposed to be a caricature of American culture, not specifically Jewish people, but it... didn't really get thought out too well.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It will go to the appeals court. Same circuit, but not the same judge. The 5th circuit is mostly conservative judges, but the district judge who made the ruling is an especially wild Trump judge who has had nearly all his rulings overturned (by the mostly Republican appointed appeals court) because of how far out he is.

If that gets appealed, then it goes to SCOTUS and Thomas/Alito have pretty clearly signaled they are on board with the initial 5th circuit ruling. But, the other justices haven't really made clear where they stand on the merits. ACB and Kavanaugh are likely to support based on their history and judicial philosophy that REALLY hates executive agencies making their own rules without explicit instructions from Congress.
The easiest thing for Roberts to do is just throw this whole case out on standing, because the plaintiffs absolutely do not have standing at all and it's a complete joke that this case is going to potentially threaten healthcare access until then.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

The easiest thing for Roberts to do is just throw this whole case out on standing, because the plaintiffs absolutely do not have standing at all and it's a complete joke that this case is going to potentially threaten healthcare access until then.

The whole case is a nightmare in terms of standing and the creative arguments for why it isn't way past the statute of limitations. The only reason it is even proceeding is because Judge Kacsmaryk is ridiculously crazy and these arguments are so out there that they haven't actually been tried in court before, so they technically can take up the case because there is no explicit precedent for their very creative and stretched legal argument.

It's one step away from "ain't no rule that says a dog can't play basketball" except at least two Supreme Court Justices and one district judge are taking it extremely seriously.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Thank you, I showed this to her and she found it interesting and agreed with it.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Youremother posted:

The Ferengi in DS9 were supposed to be a caricature of American culture, not specifically Jewish people, but it... didn't really get thought out too well.

It is debatable how effective they were in their satire, for sure, but they were also pretty explicit in what they were trying to satirize. In the first appearance Data described the Ferengi culture as similar to "Yankee traders" which Riker gets all excited about. Then he meets them and is instantly depressed about his American heritage.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Queering Wheel posted:

Oh my god the clip is great :lol:

https://twitter.com/Riley_Gaines_/status/1648892612709953537?s=20

loving owned

Maybe stop complaining because you suck at volleyball you loving loser

lol at having depression for getting owned. ugh i miss playing volleyball.

RadiRoot fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 22, 2023

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Pretty gross that she feels she has to campaign for the oppression of an entire group because she took a spike to head in a sport where that happens all the time.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Jaxyon posted:

Pretty gross that she feels she has to campaign for the oppression of an entire group because she took a spike to head in a sport where that happens all the time.

It's no different from what conservatives started this whole disengenous nonsense with. Originally, a track runner or swimmer or something like that complained she came in behind a trans woman. Except she and the conservatives also neglected to mention to the public that she also came in behind an extremely large number of (by her own standards no less) biological women who beat the trans woman as well. She was just a lovely athlete and was clearly trying to make a buck by being predatory towards a minority woman after she lost the competition by her own standards.

There's also extra elements of bigotry in this in that it lets conservatives say that any trans woman that beats a woman in an athletics sport regardless of the cis woman's performance (and in most of these cases where they try to use it to be a bigot and oppress trans people the cis woman's performance when people examined the actual full facts of the event the cis woman complaining has been fairly dismal even by their own standards going up against other cis women) is clearly just a man and doesn't belong there. Of course, if the trans woman comes in last or behind a toxic person like that then they're clearly trying to rig the results to shut down the predatory bigots and can thus be discarded as proof that these people need to be forced to shut up about their hatred of the other.

Really, the goal is to restrict people both cis and trans from playing and existing in day to day life without a fear of persecution and use it as a plank towards greater oppression and hurt for both trans women and cis women. See all the laws that Republicans have passed to try and restrict what even cis woman can do in sports (or just force some creep to examine their genitals in an invasive and rapey procedure) or to steal trans teens from their families and deliberately put them in abusive environments (literally a behavior that qualifies as genocide btw) that can and will get them killed as an example of what I mean.

But despite that these parasites get theirs by being a discardable prop to a misogynistic and oppressive world view so they have no problem throwing every other woman out there under the bus if they get ahead for even a moment.

TL;DR: It's essentially the trans-misogynistic version of a sort of no true Scotsman argument and it needs to be stopped and called out as the inane and predatory bullshit that it is.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 22, 2023

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Not that this will surprise anyone (this dude just looks like someone who throws around the n-word all the time), but the guy who shot the black teenager in Missouri is a huge racist and avid Fox News viewer. Good to see his grandson just coming out and pretty much saying "yeah, he's a piece of poo poo who would absolutely do this."

https://www.unilad.com/celebrity/ra...rjO7THW2CcByLEk

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Anyway Quark seemed cool w gender fluidity since he constantly perved on Dax.

There was an episode where Quark became female. I don't remember the details, but I do remember cringing a lot.
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Profit_and_Lace_(episode)

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Very disappointing news out of New York. Most housing policy is done at the state and local level and Kathy Hochul was one of the few Governors who proposed huge statewide housing plans and zoning reforms to try and dramatically increase housing in New York (and with New York's huge dearth of housing construction and moderate population increases, a dramatic increase in housing would still have barely started to make up the deficit) and the plan is officially dead.

It died due to the same reasons that most housing plans die: Opposition by local governments and residents to taking away local zoning control.

Putting it into the state budget to pass was assumed to be the only way to get is passed. They could technically take it up on its own, but it is unlikely to pass as a single stand-alone bill.

She probably shouldn't have sacrificed all her political capital on nominating a rightwing supreme court judge and fighting for him to the end, thus becoming a lame duck two months after getting elected.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Mellow Seas posted:

Yeah the letter (link) was PR for the Biden campaign. (It also clearly says that it is speculation, not a conclusion.) It wasn't any secret that much of the intelligence community loathed Trump. I'm not sure why Blinken instigating the letter's creation would be a scandal - although I guess I should strap in for people to pretend it is for the next 19 months.

As for the laptop, no evidence of tampering with the contents has been found. So it seems the spooks were mistaken (I doubt they knew they were incorrect at the time of its publication.) But then, it seems there's also not really anything damning in there regarding Mr. Dad President, considering the vagueness of the Greatest Hits the right wing has cited.

You’re really not sure why the (then) current Director of the CIA putting his thumb on the scale of an election by pushing a false narrative is problematic? And of course, this was all just a good-faith mistake, how could they know they had no evidence at all that what they were saying was true? I’m completely open to the idea that the Judiciary letter is removing mitigating context, but the cope here is out of control.

(Also lol at the retributive probe when Willa was clearly providing an alternative source, she shouldn’t have to quote the whole convo)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The letter has been shown to be pure Russia baiting propaganda so for that reason alone the whole thing seems bad and I wouldn't be that happy about eating it up.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You’re really not sure why the (then) current Director of the CIA putting his thumb on the scale of an election by pushing a false narrative is problematic?
That's not what happened. Did you not notice, on the list of signatories, that the word "Former" appears before literally every single title?

The CIA director at the time was Gina Haspel, the DNI was John Ratcliffe, and neither of them signed the letter. James Clapper retired from the CIA on Trump's inauguration day.

Where did you get the impression an active CIA director was involved in this?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Charlz Guybon posted:

She probably shouldn't have sacrificed all her political capital on nominating a rightwing supreme court judge and fighting for him to the end, thus becoming a lame duck two months after getting elected.
"political capital" isn't real, horse trading doesn't exist anymore. the GOP is lockstep and will never give an inch, there's nothing you can offer them to get their votes on key legislation.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shrecknet posted:

"political capital" isn't real, horse trading doesn't exist anymore. the GOP is lockstep and will never give an inch, there's nothing you can offer them to get their votes on key legislation.

I agree that political capital probably didn't play a role in why Hochul failed, but you can't blame Republicans. The Dems have a 42-21 advantage in the Senate and a 102-48 advantage in the Assembly. The problem is that people in the NYC suburbs (Westchester and Lawn Guyland), who vote Dem mostly because of social issues, are the NIMBYiest NIMBYs that ever NIMBYed.

NYT posted:

By one measure, Westchester County and Suffolk and Nassau Counties on Long Island have allowed fewer homes to be built per person in the past decade than the regions around nearly every other major U.S. city, including Boston, San Francisco and Washington.

The lack of building has contributed to a statewide housing shortage. A December report from the nonprofit Regional Plan Association estimated that New York needs to add more than 817,000 homes in the next decade to keep up with population growth and ease overcrowding.

The New Jersey suburbs offer a contrast and illustrate the potential economic benefit of building.

From 2000 to 2017, the number of people who commuted to New York City from the surrounding areas grew by around 190,000, according the Department of City Planning. About two-thirds of those people lived in northern New Jersey, where more housing was built than on Long Island and in the Hudson Valley combined.

https://www.nytimes.com/article/nyc-housing-hochul-long-island-westchester.html

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Mellow Seas posted:

That's not what happened. Did you not notice, on the list of signatories, that the word "Former" appears before literally every single title?

The CIA director at the time was Gina Haspel, the DNI was John Ratcliffe, and neither of them signed the letter. James Clapper retired from the CIA on Trump's inauguration day.

Where did you get the impression an active CIA director was involved in this?

You’re right, I somehow got Morrell’s status mixed up in my head. Sorry about that.

I still think it stinks and they lied for political reasons.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Mellow Seas posted:

The New Jersey suburbs offer a contrast and illustrate the potential economic benefit of building.

New Jersey seems to be one of those "location is key" success stories but built around housing as opposed to trade, which is pretty rare to my knowledge beyond the level of individual suburban cities as opposed to states. I suppose the tiny states of the Northeast megalopolis count in a way but Jersey is more densely populated than any of them regardless. Even "the Garden State" seems like clever marketing for people looking to live cheaper/less polluted than NYC or Philadelphia. And because many of those people are still wealthy, you get huge taxes.

I mean obviously it is not all of its economy but seems to be the foundation all of it is ultimately built on. I don't think any other state is (on paper) as thriving by many statistics while also having as lovely of a reputation. Kind of fascinating how much being next to New York can affect your general media image.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 22, 2023

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I still think it stinks and they lied for political reasons.
They didn't lie, though. The letter is very carefully worded so as to not make any factual assertions, which is maybe a bit weasely but smart. And for it to be a "lie" in any sense they would have to be aware Russia was definitely not involved, which they certainly didn't know; it wasn’t until 2022, I think, that all the contents were determined to be genuine.

Is it a little sleazy? Yeah, sure. But I thought we didn’t really care about :decorum: around here. The letter helped prevent the laptop from having a major impact on the election, which would have been a travesty anyway, because Joe Biden is not responsible for his son's actions and there is no evidence of corruption on his part on the laptop unless you make huge, unsupportable inferences. It was a slightly underhanded way to get a just result, with absolutely no lawbreaking involved.

It’s such a bullshit “scandal,” man. At least Hillary Clinton theoretically broke a law.

The letter is what it is: 50 people with a lot of experience but no inside information (because they are retired) saying "I dunno, kind of seems like this." And unless you are a person who subscribes to the bizarre theory that Russia didn't attempt to interfere in 2016, it was incredibly plausible.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 22, 2023

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Shrecknet posted:

Political capital doesn’t just mean horse trading. It is your ability to influence politics, of which horse trading is just one aspect.

For example, Trump has an enormous amount of political capital because he has control over a large part of the Republican base. This is despite the fact that he has no hard power nor any ability to horse trade.

In Hochul’s case, her nomination of that judge damaged her credibility with voters and thus cost her political capital. If she were more popular and more able to influence voters, she would have had a stronger position to push through her agenda.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's not just voters, it's also your relationship with other lawmakers and activists. She pissed a lot of people off with her idiocy, and while this particular situation doesn't necessarily tie in with that it certainly didn't help.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Seph posted:

Political capital doesn’t just mean horse trading. It is your ability to influence politics, of which horse trading is just one aspect.

For example, Trump has an enormous amount of political capital because he has control over a large part of the Republican base. This is despite the fact that he has no hard power nor any ability to horse trade.

In Hochul’s case, her nomination of that judge damaged her credibility with voters and thus cost her political capital. If she were more popular and more able to influence voters, she would have had a stronger position to push through her agenda.

I find it highly unlikely that her stance on that judge had anything at all to do with the ability to convince wealthy white suburbs to build more housing.

"Political capital" is a concept with fairly limited applicability. Even if they're very popular, national-level or state-level politicians often don't have much leverage over regional politicians, unless they're actively engaged in horsetrading political favors for those regional politicians. Even outside of that dynamic, it often fails. Trump has influence over a large portion of the Republican base, but that still didn't actually give him the ability to convince Mitch McConnell to do things that Trump wanted and Mitch didn't.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Main Paineframe posted:

I find it highly unlikely that her stance on that judge had anything at all to do with the ability to convince wealthy white suburbs to build more housing.

"Political capital" is a concept with fairly limited applicability. Even if they're very popular, national-level or state-level politicians often don't have much leverage over regional politicians, unless they're actively engaged in horsetrading political favors for those regional politicians. Even outside of that dynamic, it often fails. Trump has influence over a large portion of the Republican base, but that still didn't actually give him the ability to convince Mitch McConnell to do things that Trump wanted and Mitch didn't.

I never said that the judicial nomination was the single reason for the bill to fail. Just that her lack of capital hindered her ability to influence the suburban politicians when someone with more capital might have been more successful.

Put another way, do you think Andrew Cuomo at the height of his popularity in 2020 would have faced the same challenges Hochul did passing this bill?

In general I think people read into the term political capital too literally. It’s not some currency that you can spend to get whatever you want. It’s really just a more targeted term for soft power. Having a lot of political capital can help you when you lack hard power, but it’s not always a guarantee. It also depends on the person and how they choose to wield it - if Trump was a more savvy political actor he could have leveraged his political capital much more than he did.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

What is the functional purpose of having children undress in a communal space anyway? It seems like the stripping of privacy and imposed shame are the point. That experience was probably the first clear memory I can have of anxiety, and that is without any added baggage from dysphoria

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

When my dad was growing up, it was common for boys to have mandatory unclothed swims in h.s. or at the Y, ostensibly bc of polio/germ paranoia ("germs reside in the trunks") but it was also a likely perv magnet for swim coaches.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dubar posted:

What is the functional purpose of having children undress in a communal space anyway? It seems like the stripping of privacy and imposed shame are the point. That experience was probably the first clear memory I can have of anxiety, and that is without any added baggage from dysphoria

The functional purpose of it is the cruelty and humiliation that all Republican voters either desire or are completely ok with the full knowledge that their vote advances it.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

DarkCrawler posted:

The functional purpose of it is the cruelty and humiliation that all Republican voters either desire or are completely ok with the full knowledge that their vote advances it.

:confused: I think you either misunderstood some context or don't realize that this doesn't occur only in Republican areas. Locker-room undressing is standard at just about every school & athletic facility in the country, although there are usually a few nods to privacy barriers for those who require them.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Seph posted:

I never said that the judicial nomination was the single reason for the bill to fail. Just that her lack of capital hindered her ability to influence the suburban politicians when someone with more capital might have been more successful.

Put another way, do you think Andrew Cuomo at the height of his popularity in 2020 would have faced the same challenges Hochul did passing this bill?

In general I think people read into the term political capital too literally. It’s not some currency that you can spend to get whatever you want. It’s really just a more targeted term for soft power. Having a lot of political capital can help you when you lack hard power, but it’s not always a guarantee. It also depends on the person and how they choose to wield it - if Trump was a more savvy political actor he could have leveraged his political capital much more than he did.

Would Andrew Cuomo have pushed a bill like this in the first place? He never really struck me as the kind of guy who'd push the wealthy suburbs to build multi-family housing.

In fact, his support of wealthy interests and opposition to economic progressivism were so strong that he worked with conservative Dems in the state senate to create the Independent Democratic Conference, a group of Dem turncoats who would caucus with the Republicans in order to give them the majority.

He would never be in this kind of showdown in the first place. And if he did somehow end up in one, he'd probably just bribe his way through it; his administration was notorious for its corruption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Willa Rogers posted:

When my dad was growing up, it was common for boys to have mandatory unclothed swims in h.s. or at the Y, ostensibly bc of polio/germ paranoia ("germs reside in the trunks") but it was also a likely perv magnet for swim coaches.

While pervy old guys were probably among the most staunch advocates, the ridiculously long tradition of naked swimming in America was it's own force. That's how it was when the adults were kids, and how it was when their parents were kids. Ain't nothing never come of it before, and by god we'll keep doing it that way until...we have to have co-ed pools now? Why the hell are these boys naked!?

Pools have some of the weirdest politics involved in their existence. There was at least a decade where public pools were arguing that the only thing worse than wearing cloths when swimming, was doing so with non-white people.