Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Amechwarrior posted:

I think you got us flipped. I'm LCT #2 in 0706. The various lvl2 hexes between 0208 and the Galleon prevent LoS as 'Mechs are also 2 levels tall.

wow lol yes i misread entirely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I could r5 into the heavy woods in 0512 and get some fire on a GAL or scorp?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

that would potentially get me in a good position to harass the CDA next turn which is going to either have to stop running or eventually fall over

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Amechwarrior posted:

Edit: Where's my MG ammo by the way?

The LCT-3V keeps its ammo in its right torso.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Scintilla posted:

The LCT-3V keeps its ammo in its right torso.

Thanks.

I think I mis-counted about being able to get to 1610. Looking at it closely I think the best I can reach is 1510, but that puts the INF at my left side and they'd only need 7 to hit. I'd get 8s for everything vs the Galleon. I don't know if the risk is worth it for all of us to move to pop that Galleon. We could take out a bigger target for the same risk...

Mirage can get to 1512 for +3, and Prime to 1513 for +3 and get all 8s on the right side of the COM. This is where the LL is, in the Right Arm. We could possibly start to wound it like the CDA. This also sets you guys up for the kill on the CDA if it falls over next turn. Downside is the COM, Scorpion and INF get a shot off at 9 vs one of you. These will also be side arc shots (or one possible rear arc at 12, but I'd take the other target) but does keep you safe from the Torso mounted PPC on the CDA. If the COM uses the LL, it can't punch Prime at 1513.

This move is your call Prime and Mirage, but you'll have to do it together to help split fire between each of you.

I don't really have a good move myself, unless Razor can get to LoS on the infantry up North to help ensure the kill.

Edit - corrected unit name errors. The LCT needs to be adjacent to the COM for easy MG numbers.

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Apr 20, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I'm not sure I can make it all the way to 1513, that's a hell of a distance to cover.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

ilmucche posted:

I'm not sure I can make it all the way to 1513, that's a hell of a distance to cover.

My bad, Mirage in the JR7 goes to 1512. Prime in the LCT to 1513.

You'd just turn SE and run straight.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Scintilla posted:

Kai-xi Yeoung smiled like a tiger as the Cicada sprinted away, smoke leaking from several large holes in its rear armour. Three quarters of Ruby Lance had poured their fire into it, and at least one of their shots had hit something important. The big bug stumbled as it ran, lurching from side to side like a drunkard staggering home after too many Timbiquis.

As Kai-xi turned to pursue he spotted movement on one of his secondary monitors. Glancing at it, he saw that a platoon of infantry had dug into a small hillock below the ridge.

“Fools,” he sighed, casting a pitying gaze down at the tiny figures. “This is the chessboard of the gods. Ants like you don’t belong here. Scurry off before somebody stomps on you.”

Defying his words, the infantrymen opened fire. Kai-xi laughed derisively as their needle-thin laser beams stabbed at the air around his Locust. These ants actually thought they could hurt him! “Don’t even bother!” he sneered. “You can’t kill me. No one can!”

Fate had always protected Kai-xi. At five years old, he had accidentally eaten poisonous berries from his uncle’s garden, but miraculously suffered no ill effects. Three years later, while playing on the roof of his parents’ apartment, he had slipped and fallen nearly forty feet, but survived with only mild bruising. As a teenager, a friend had dared him to climb into the Megasaur enclosure in the Ningbo Municipal Zoo. Once inside, he had found himself face to face with Huang Long, the Zoo’s prized Salutaris Rex. Despite its fearsome reputation, the beast had not attacked, and Kai-xi had been able to climb back out unharmed.

These incidents, and many others, had proven to Kai-xi beyond all doubt that he was special. Misfortune rarely touched him, and what pain he did suffer was always mild. When he was in trouble, the world itself bent to ensure his safety. Nothing could truly harm him, and in turn Kai-xi feared nothing at all. Like the boon heroes and demigods of ancient myth, he had been blessed with immortality.

Lesser men scoffed at Kai-xi’s pretensions. They called him a solipsist, or a modern-day Icarus who would one day go down in flames. Kai-xi paid them no mind. They were bit-characters, mindless extras in the grand narrative of his life. Their doubts would only make his future triumphs more glorious.

This is a fun piece of writing. I always look forward to the updates.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

aniviron posted:

Yes, I was worried it was going to end in Kai-xi getting whacked by the INF he was so confident couldn't hurt him. I feel like glancing down at the numbers spoils the tension in reading the fictionalized results. Great job Scintilla!

Looks like the 1206 Hex shouldn't have LoS to the INF. Tested it out in MM using a default map with a similar elevation setup.

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 20, 2023

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm thinking of jumping to 1208 and punching the STG. IIRC melee attacks only check for piloting, right?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Yeah I was thinking a jump to 1207 and fire two lasers then punch or kick if I'm going after the stinger. Doesn't do much for heat. Does jumping to heavy woods come with a pilot check?

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

aniviron posted:

That's very kind of you to say. I'm trying to give every character a unique voice and persona, so I'm happy that people are taking a liking to them.

Space Kablooey posted:

I'm thinking of jumping to 1208 and punching the STG. IIRC melee attacks only check for piloting, right?

Yes, melee attacks use the piloting stat.

ilmucche posted:

Does jumping to heavy woods come with a pilot check?

No, that's an optional rule that I haven't turned on. Jumping into heavy woods carries no penalty in this LP.

Scintilla fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 20, 2023

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Space Kablooey posted:

Melee attacks do factor in target movement mods like normal attacks. That was a change made to the HBS game to encourage punching things.

Also, the Vulcan doesn't have hands. This adds +1 to your punching to-hit. So if you Jump, that's an automatic miss of 13. 5 Piloting + 3 Attacker Jumped + 3 Defender Jumped 6 Hexes + 1 Defender in Light Woods + 1 No Hands.

You could jump to 0514 and flank the COM for 9s. Not great shots but if you fire 1 ML and the MG it's something and you'll be setup for the next turn if you face SW.

I'd only do that if Mirage and Prime want to team up on the COM.

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 20, 2023

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

ilmucche posted:

Yeah I was thinking a jump to 1207 and fire two lasers then punch or kick if I'm going after the stinger. Doesn't do much for heat. Does jumping to heavy woods come with a pilot check?

You're also looking at near impossible shots. 4 Gunnery + 3 Attacker Jumped + 3 Defender Jumped 6 Hexes + 1 Defender in Light Woods = 11.

The Jenner has Minimal Arms, can't punch. Kicking would be a 10.

Right now that Stinger is untouchable unless we want to put ourselves in the open, with nearly no movement mods and in LoS to the entire force. Not worth the trade.

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 20, 2023

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Ah I thought the stinger had run. Maybe the run to attack the galleon is a better option then. A jump to 1013 and firing one laser at the galleon would let me clear all my heat and running/shooting next turn full on

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I think we all have a "good move" that focuses on a different target. We need to choose whos good move to support and move as a unit together. If we go 4 different ways this turn, next turn each of us will be alone and outnumbered.

My vote is to take the shot at the COM with Mirage and Prime, but I don't have a good answer for how Razor and myself can support it yet other than moving to setup for next turn. Mirage and Prime, this is primarily your decision as you're at risk here.

Second choice is we could also just move north to give us a round to breath and beat up some poor bloody infantry.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Yeah I wouldn't mind a move north in cover. I can get back to 0 heat then jump in and try to alpha strike something

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Yeah I will just move north then. I don't think it's great to meet the OpFor in the valley, at least for right now.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

operation move north can put me at the heavy woods 0505 facing due north (rear end out but i don't think anything can actually hit me)

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

operation move north can put me at the heavy woods 0505 facing due north (rear end out but i don't think anything can actually hit me)

Yeah you should be pretty safe. But we want to position ourselves just outside of LoS to the center field and just far enough away from the STG to make it hard (10+). Yet still close to the ridge. This will give us the most freedom next turn.

Do we still want to try and wipe the INF in the rear? I can get right up to them, and probably severely tear them up, but I don't think I can secure the kill. MLs would do about 4dmg to them due to the 2x open field multiplier. MGs will do (2D6)x2 so I'll likely leave a handful of guys left. If someone can toss in 1 ML or so that might be enough to seal it depending on if both MG hit and roll around 7s.

We could also just play it really safe.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Let's just play it safe for this turn. Next turn we can focus fire and be more sure we can wipe them out in one swoop.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I can still easily make it back to the ridge from 0505 or up into the northeast of the map if that makes more sense next turn, so I think that's my best move.

Space Kablooey posted:

Let's just play it safe for this turn. Next turn we can focus fire and be more sure we can wipe them out in one swoop.

if we want to splash INF#2 this is a good turn to do it since they moved; LCT#2 should be able to get to 1404 to put a lot of fire on them, and JR7 can jump to 1306 and fire a couple MLs for the assist?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

I can still easily make it back to the ridge from 0505 or up into the northeast of the map if that makes more sense next turn, so I think that's my best move.

if we want to splash INF#2 this is a good turn to do it since they moved; LCT#2 should be able to get to 1404 to put a lot of fire on them, and JR7 can jump to 1306 and fire a couple MLs for the assist?

I think the LCT#2 going around to the infantry sounds good, but the JR7 is already running hot, so if it wanted to get heat 0 this turn, it will only be able to help with a single laser this turn, after the jump. Your folks call, though.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I think I'm just going to jump to 0905 and run around next turn.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Space Kablooey posted:

I think the LCT#2 going around to the infantry sounds good, but the JR7 is already running hot, so if it wanted to get heat 0 this turn, it will only be able to help with a single laser this turn, after the jump. Your folks call, though.

Mirage can reach 1306 by running for 9mp unless I miscalculated. This gives you 1 ML to toss at them for like 6 to-hit and clean your heat debt with 9/10 sunk.

I'd probably also stay facing NE so you can drop down onto the ground floor if we need to push out through the base. Else you can jump to where you need to be.

I'll head to 1404 and hopefully land the MGs, the ML from the JR7 and my own should be enough to ensure the kill if both MGs hit.

Everyone else might just want to head NE to clump together, our MLs are pretty short and as long as our enemy is just as zippy, mass firing them at one target will be needed.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Space Kablooey posted:

I think I'm just going to jump to 0905 and run around next turn.

0905 works for running out the NE like I will have to, 1106 should provide you with enough intervening trees to be safe if you want more jumping options next round.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

aniviron posted:

:emptyquote:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

locked in 0505 heavy woods

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Locked into 1404 , alpha at infantry. Scintilla, put the wrong turn number in the PM title, my bad.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

going to jump to 0408 and face SE. there's a jump to 1205 but i think 0408 does a bit better for reducing where the stinger can go

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Locked in jump to 1106, facing SE.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
I wish I had been paying attention to the start of this thing because I love mechs. Not necessarily Battletech mechs since my first exposure was the strategy game on PC and I wasn't really around many other Battletech tabletop fans. Tactical mech combat? Yes, please.

You're in the middle of a contract so I guess I'll just chill and observe for now. I don't know the rules of the tabletop game all that well but. I'd love to be involved in this later. I assume there is still room for people, or there will be later. I'll figure it out at some point. Good luck lads

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

glwgameplayer posted:

I wish I had been paying attention to the start of this thing because I love mechs. Not necessarily Battletech mechs since my first exposure was the strategy game on PC and I wasn't really around many other Battletech tabletop fans. Tactical mech combat? Yes, please.

You're in the middle of a contract so I guess I'll just chill and observe for now. I don't know the rules of the tabletop game all that well but. I'd love to be involved in this later. I assume there is still room for people, or there will be later. I'll figure it out at some point. Good luck lads

welcome!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Locked in for 0408

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

glwgameplayer posted:

[...]my first exposure was the strategy game on PC and I wasn't really around many other Battletech tabletop fans[...]

I don't know the rules of the tabletop game all that well but.

hi this is literally my situation when i signed up! i got shot a bunch but also i shot other stuff more, it was fun. if hope you get to pilot a mech and stomp and shoot things and have fun!

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

glwgameplayer posted:

You're in the middle of a contract so I guess I'll just chill and observe for now. I don't know the rules of the tabletop game all that well but. I'd love to be involved in this later.

Go and PM the OP and get on the list as soon as you can. There's still a whole Lance (4 'Mechs) that's yet to even deploy. No idea how long the wait list is, but I got in during the ending of the last mission.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

glwgameplayer posted:

this is literally my first time playing the battletech TT game.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Amechwarrior posted:

Go and PM the OP and get on the list as soon as you can. There's still a whole Lance (4 'Mechs) that's yet to even deploy. No idea how long the wait list is, but I got in during the ending of the last mission.

The pilot list is actually still pretty short - there are currently four players still to take part, which is enough for the next mission. I'm always happy to add more if anyone's interested, all you need is PMs.

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
I have officially joined the reserve. I look forward to piloting with you guys. Until my time comes I'll probably lurk, ask questions, and comment on how pretty exploding battle mechs look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Welp. Now I get to write about how being caught out in the open by a mech with machineguns is every infantryman's worst nightmare. :unsmigghh: