Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i will only do savage/extremes if they have glamours i want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Clerical Terrors posted:

I don't do savage/extreme because I am incapable of not judging myself.

Yeah, this is the main reason I don't do Extremes/Savages. I tried once (I have been told Emerald EX was a bad place to start), and while the team that let me in the first time was actually quite supportive, I was having absolutely no fun beating myself up for constantly dying.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The level 80 EXes can still be pretty spicy. I've been trying to learn fights for gwibers, and I've been in some PF groups that legit can't get unsynched clears.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I don't do current extremes or savages because I don't have the patience to fail at something for hours on end. Farmed all the 80 exes unsynced for Mecha Gwib though and they were pretty easy

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Extremes I'll do currently, the mechanics aren't so insane that I can't handle them, but Savages are just a bit too much for me. I'll wait until I overpower them next expansion, although even then past savages are still pretty tough

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Sentient Data posted:

Yeah but did you see how short her skirt was?!

holy poo poo lmfao

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

all my trial and raid mounts are stolen valor

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The community is generally pretty good when it comes to learning extremes or savages, in the right parties, but yeah. If you don't enjoy the deaths and wiping it takes to practice current content, a good community isn't going to get you to enjoy it any more.

If it is something you want to do, week 1 is the best time. Not only are the better skilled / geared players trying it, everyone seems way more chill and you have options between parties using early guides or absolutely blind.

Latter weeks aren't bad but you start getting people that either prevented groups from getting that week 1 clear, or people joining blind groups and just trying to explain everything.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Clerical Terrors posted:

I don't do savage/extreme because I am incapable of not judging myself.

I don’t do savage because I’m a gentleman

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I'm always nervous when raiding that I'm gonna be the one who messes up and holds the group back. I've channeled that nervous energy into perfecting my understanding of fights and being a God Gamer and you can too 😎

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The frustration I run into on Savages is that I play Bard, so after a certain threshold (which took me a while but my rotation's really tightened up these days) and learning the fight enough to not die means the performance I get credited with depends entirely on what the rest of the group is doing. If they're gray, I'm gray. If some are green, I'm green. If we got someone who knows their stuff and is slumming prog groups in BiS so they have an orange, I can hit blue. This means that blindly checking meters without knowing the job doesn't say much about how I'm doing. I vary wildly from week to week and I'm never going to be that person with an orange parse out ahead of everyone else. I don't want people looking at my numbers, after a certain point there's not useful info there and I hit that half a year ago.

This was fine and I didn't mind with the static I used to be running with, but people had life aggro and while some of the replacements we got are great and in a similar boat (they pick things up quickly, just don't have time during the week to raid and learn things by doing), there are a few who it turns out were "in [raiding guild] but weren't raiding with the guild" for a reason. These are people who have to have "need if it's for your main (you should already know what's an upgrade), greed if it's for an alt, then we can all get moving" explained every single week, and need callouts to be explicit and detailed (which is exhausting for the person doing them). With people I like I can put up with it, it started as a way to spend time with friends I've had for 20 years, but these are strangers to me.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Bruceski posted:

The frustration I run into on Savages is that I play Bard, so after a certain threshold (which took me a while but my rotation's really tightened up these days) and learning the fight enough to not die means the performance I get credited with depends entirely on what the rest of the group is doing. If they're gray, I'm gray. If some are green, I'm green. If we got someone who knows their stuff and is slumming prog groups in BiS so they have an orange, I can hit blue. This means that blindly checking meters without knowing the job doesn't say much about how I'm doing. I vary wildly from week to week and I'm never going to be that person with an orange parse out ahead of everyone else. I don't want people looking at my numbers, after a certain point there's not useful info there and I hit that half a year ago.

If you want to check your performance specifically, you can look at ndps which normalizes dps numbers to only your own specific buffs. It's a decent measure of mechanical performance without depending on others. Granted this doesn't help if someone's looking at you and only looks at rdps.

The other stuff, yeah. I tend to stick to my static for savage because we all gel nicely, even if it's almost entirely grey parses across the board.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Vitamean posted:

I'm always nervous when raiding that I'm gonna be the one who messes up and holds the group back. I've channeled that nervous energy into perfecting my understanding of fights and being a God Gamer and you can too 😎

I know a girl like this from my old FC. It's gotten to the point where she regularly purple parses in release week of the new EX (she farms the totems for the mount for when it comes out later) and then somehow insists I'm better at the game than her. It's kinda funny but also kinda sad in a way.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Clerical Terrors posted:

I know a girl like this from my old FC. It's gotten to the point where she regularly purple parses in release week of the new EX (she farms the totems for the mount for when it comes out later) and then somehow insists I'm better at the game than her. It's kinda funny but also kinda sad in a way.

One of our friends in the FC, they don't play too often. But he's the kind of person that absolutely thinks he's not that good and doesn't really sign up for raids and stuff too often because he feels he just isn't good enough at the mechanics. But the thing is, when he heals he's a perfectly fine healer, he does perfectly fine DPS when he DPSes, he does mechanics perfectly fine, we've brought him into extremes and he does PERFECTLY FINE. Yes sometimes he goes running directly into the boss when he should be running away, but whatever. We are not a hardcore FC, all of us gently caress up mechanics all the time. He's not as good as some of the more regular members, but he is way better than he himself thinks he is. And it's impossible to convince him of this. Like he'll act like if he goes he's holding us back or something and we always have to be like YOU DON'T.

That being said, it is really funny every time he fails one of the more obvious mechanics and dies. One time we were fighting Doom Guy whats his name in that one Stormblood dungeon, and he leapt right into the middle when the four saws were all in the middle and died. It's okay, I accidentally hit my backflip button and send myself right off the platform at least once every time we do one of the extremes

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Bruceski posted:

This is to some degree true, but personal skill has a lot more weight to rDPS calculations on FFLogs than you’re giving it credit for. I’m a bard main too, and my parses generally tend to be two tiers higher than the average of my party’s. Yes, it’s frustrating that I can’t get oranges unless my party is getting blues and purples, but I’ve learned to judge my own performance and improvement with that context in mind.

I definitely, however, agree that just looking at live damage meters without any understanding of the jobs involved is a bad way to judge a player. If ACT shows me as 4th in the list as a bard, that’s exactly where I should be. If I’m any higher, that’s not a sign that I’m doing amazingly well, it’s a sign that someone else is really screwing up. (This holds true even when FFLogs eventually tells me I had the highest rDPS in the party.)

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Performance anxiety and low self steem are one hell of a drug. Even after I got the courage to try, I would still leave without a word sometimes after a massive fuckup cause I felt I was wasting everyone's time. Don't do that now since that's a death knell for PUGs and now it's just the usual "oh god why is this clear party still on P1"

EDIT: And this is from someone who I'd say is pretty meh, I tend to overfocus on mechanics and thus sometimes miss GCDs or mix up my rotation, which is why I usually play WAR or SMN.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I hate that kind of tracking stuff on non-extreme / savage / ultimate content and I don't really care how well dps performs in parties, as long as the tank and healer don't mess up. Hell sometimes I like crap dps because that means I get to see more of the fight that is usually blasted through nowadays. I'm not as self conscious about my skill nowadays (unless I splat as a tank / can't keep up the tank as a healer) but the idea that some jackass might take a snap of my output and post it on a forum or discord to tear it apart / make fun of me is still pretty cringe

On serious raiding content I'm fine with parses as everybody needs to contribute to the max in order to beat it.

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 22, 2023

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The other stuff, yeah. I tend to stick to my static for savage because we all gel nicely, even if it's almost entirely grey parses across the board.

I think next tier is going to be our chance to reach out to some folks and say "you know you're allowed to come back if you want, right?" People who stepped away for temporary stuff (a new kid who is now old enough dad can sleep sometimes, a back injury, fortunately not the same person) and are showing up in-game more often but not on raid night. Don't want to push anyone back who doesn't want to come back, but we're a group of people who bonded over our instincts to not be a bother.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.
Is there any source to download the game files directly rather than through the client? I'm trying to re-install this, but apparently it doesn't play well with my current internet setup (wireless for the time being), and errors/crashes after a few minutes attempting to download. I've tried a VPN set to Japan and an alternate launcher, and it still fails after a while.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Bybus Slago posted:

Is there any source to download the game files directly rather than through the client? I'm trying to re-install this, but apparently it doesn't play well with my current internet setup (wireless for the time being), and errors/crashes after a few minutes attempting to download. I've tried a VPN set to Japan and an alternate launcher, and it still fails after a while.

I don't know, but it's not just you. I hate how this game has to install by doing every patch and update one at a time, downloading installing and reconnecting each time. There's probably a bunch of wasted data and chances for things to stop talking to each other and timeout, but maintaining "bulk current install from patch X.Y" files introduces headaches of its own.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

XIVLauncher is a fan made game launcher that has a couple of download options that might help. It is also the launcher for Dalamud (the plugins management software). But you can set it to not open those.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

EDIT: And this is from someone who I'd say is pretty meh, I tend to overfocus on mechanics and thus sometimes miss GCDs or mix up my rotation, which is why I usually play WAR or SMN.

:same: except I deal with it by playing RPR and DNC; if an unfamiliar mechanic demands my attention, they're usually flexible enough that I can autopilot a few GCDs without drifting my rotation horribly.

I tried playing DRK in a P5S PUG for people trying out new jobs recently, and I was one of the two-to-three people holding the rest of the group back. Every time a tankbuster rolled around, I'd overfocus on the tank swap and forget to put on a heavy mit to deal with the bleed. Felt guilty about it every time, but didn't manage to get a handle on it before the group split up. :smith:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

This is what I like about BRD as well, if I mess up the song rotation it's a pain but anything else is easily recovered. I just need to know the proc priority. In contrast I love everything about DRG except actually playing it because the rotation is so rigid that if/when things get out of sync it feels like the whole thing falls apart. I keep meaning to practice it enough that I can learn how to be okay with being sloppy and putting it back together, but it's so jarringly different from the Bard stuff that I'm fighting a lot of instincts.

I'm curious what they'll do to the job in 7.0 but I don't want too much of an overhaul in how it plays because as much as I find it jarring there's folks who love it for that. We have enough people occasionally swinging by to "fix Bard" to whatever they personally like that I'm wary.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 22, 2023

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I'd like to play those jobs too, but haven't levelled them yet :v: Tbh I've dropped the game for a bit, been stressed with stuff and going back to the office.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I know I'm not an optimal player. I ignore Positionals. Frankly, I'd love to see 7.0 remove them.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Kheldarn posted:

I know I'm not an optimal player. I ignore Positionals. Frankly, I'd love to see 7.0 remove them.

On high-level stuff they might as well not exist given the amount of giga hitbox or no positional bosses.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Much like substats, positionals will remain in the game as a small point of optimization for people who care about squeezing every last drop of blood out of the stone. I think you lose nothing by keeping minor points of mastery in the game like that, so long as it doesn't become an absolute requirement to master them to participate in easy/hard group content.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kheldarn posted:

I think they should make the positional damage bonus 90% of the attacks damage.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I think they should make the positional damage bonus 90% of the attacks damage.

been saying this.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i purple parsed multiple savage fights with my positionals reversed from what i thought they were on my hotbars

rip the old days when you'd lose your combo chain

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Here I've been stressing on positionals on reaper in casual content

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM THE LOGIN BUTTON ON FFXIV. IT'S TROIA AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE POSITIONALS ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, THE WARRIOR OF LIGHT

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Positionals just mean I get a little bonus when True North is off cooldown.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ibram Gaunt posted:

been saying this.

I miss old monk duck and weave poo poo. i still do it out of pure muscle memory but just standing there outside of the last hits is so gosh darn boring.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

reflecting on it, i almost never have cause to bring my meter up during savage raiding. significant dps issues are almost always due to people loving up mechanics and dying or getting damage downs rather than not being able to hit their buttons in the right order. even week 1 the main issue was half the party dying to famine harvest, not their dot uptime (p8sp1 was apparently a different story but i slept on that till my static got there)

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Just beat Ravana. I feel like out of all the primals so far it's the best one to get tempered by. Just a guy having a good time

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Oneiros posted:

reflecting on it, i almost never have cause to bring my meter up during savage raiding. significant dps issues are almost always due to people loving up mechanics and dying or getting damage downs rather than not being able to hit their buttons in the right order. even week 1 the main issue was half the party dying to famine harvest, not their dot uptime (p8sp1 was apparently a different story but i slept on that till my static got there)

On a close enrage it can be useful to have access to the party DPS number to see whether it is worth calling a wipe if someone dies or not. But yeah, most meaningful analysis will be done after the raid is over.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

goblin week posted:

Just beat Ravana. I feel like out of all the primals so far it's the best one to get tempered by. Just a guy having a good time

No, the prinal that's all about having a good time is (Stormblood) Susano

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

goblin week posted:

He's great, yeah. There's one in Stormblood though who's just all about the revelry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ravana isn't "having a good time" so much as "cleansing purity of battle"