Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

WalletBeef posted:

Just found out yesterday that you can get to Liurnia without having to kill any bosses. With that here's my new quick start guide for meele characters:

1. Starting class : Samurai with golden seed.
2. Get horse
3. Grab Great Sword in Caelid
4. Kill sleeping dragon for 71k souls in Caelid (bleed helps)
5. Level Str to 21 so you can 2h the Greatsword.
6. Enough End to not fat roll
7. Rest into Vgr
8. Grab all sacred tears in Weeping Peninsula, Caelid, Lime Grave and Liurnia.
9. Grab smithing stone miner ball bearing from Raya Lucaria Crystal Tunnel.

Takes 2 hours tops and you're positioned well for early game.

I use a similar setup to quick-start the game.

One difference is going down to Weeping Peninsula early on to pick up the Morning Star, since it's a bleed weapon with easy-to-meet stat requirements you can use to beat the sleeping dragon (this step can be skipped as a Samurai or Bandit since you already start with a bleed weapon).

Then, the levels you get from the dragon can be used to meet the requirements of whatever weapon you want to use, and then dump the rest into Vigor (with a few points in Endurance if you need the armor). Although this can be mitigated early on by dipping into the fort next to the dragon for Radagon's Soreseal to boost your physical stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

FungiCap posted:

Love this game. I want to play it again but was wondering if there are any build archtypes (that aren't super gimmicky) I haven't done yet that play significantly different from the ones I've done already which are:

Pure STR build.
STR/Faith build
Bleeder build
Pure INT build.

Any ideas? Thanks!

STR/INT or pure faith? Or tower shields if you haven't done that. But after a few games if you want a new experience it probably needs to be more of a gimmick than just a different stat distribution.

Stupid Boxes
Feb 9, 2004

good grief!

FungiCap posted:

Love this game. I want to play it again but was wondering if there are any build archtypes (that aren't super gimmicky) I haven't done yet that play significantly different from the ones I've done already which are:

Pure STR build.
STR/Faith build
Bleeder build
Pure INT build.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Make a perfumer

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

FungiCap posted:

Pure STR build.
STR/Faith build
Bleeder build
Pure INT build.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Fist weapons only run. Use the Lightning Weapon buff on the Caestus or Spiked Caestus. The cast animation looks loving awesome and the damage can be pretty respectable once you get your head around the piddling reach and fucky camera behaviour - it makes for a unique and challenging run that feels hard without quite being outright masochistic. You can swap in other weaponbuffs as needed for different elements, if you're up against something that doesn't give a gently caress about lightning. Consider keeping a ranged ash of war handy so you can scream at things so hard they die or whatever

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Wyvernil posted:

I think anyone doing this should make sure they grab some golden fowl feet (there are a few easy ones to pick up in Limgrave) before killing the dragon, huge bonus to your runes to start a specific build

FungiCap posted:

Pure STR build.
STR/Faith build
Bleeder build
Pure INT build.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Do a DEX focused duelist build (straight sword or thrusting sword, parrying with the left). Parry focused builds are different and require a new fun skillset

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

FungiCap posted:

Pure STR build.
STR/Faith build
Bleeder build
Pure INT build.

Any ideas? Thanks!

I've been meaning to try a bow-only run, seems like it could be a lot of fun

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Revins posted:

I've been meaning to try a bow-only run, seems like it could be a lot of fun

It's not that fun imo, you have to buy a loooot of arrows because of how many it takes to kill anything big. You really kind of have to do one of the moghwyn rune farms in order to make it work and even then it's still a non-trivial time investment if you're using anything besides the basic rear end arrows.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I have done bow only, and it was not a lot of fun for me personally.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I've done a bow heavy run, and it's viable as a primary weapon, but not the only weapon. Maybe pair it with another dex weapon that won't outshine it too much. Like a whip or daggers.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I killed Godrick first try :stare: maybe I am getting used to this game

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Angry Diplomat posted:

They're giant hosed up mutant corvids, of course they're vocally skilled enough to mimic the poise break noise and clever enough to lure you out with it

This is a fun rationalization, but really there's no such thing as the "poise break noise," at least not in-universe. There's no way every single creature in the world, living or undead, makes the same drumbeat sound when they get knocked off balance. The same way not everyone makes a shink noise when they die. It's just a fun cool thing for fun cool players.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Oops, nevermind.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Just been having too much fun in the colloseum! Just reached gold in duels as a mage with the wing of astel. That thing slaps so hard, and its change ups are amazing! I almost always catch dudes off guard with that thing! Also had my faith character’s duels in there too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3IMaDcZtyw

Hope you enjoy the commentary too!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Phenotype posted:

This is a fun rationalization, but really there's no such thing as the "poise break noise," at least not in-universe. There's no way every single creature in the world, living or undead, makes the same drumbeat sound when they get knocked off balance. The same way not everyone makes a shink noise when they die. It's just a fun cool thing for fun cool players.

No the corvids can hear through the fourth wall. They are not fooling the Tarnished, they are fooling you, the player

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

FungiCap posted:

Pure STR build.
STR/Faith build
Bleeder build
Pure INT build.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Dex/Int melee with weapons and sword sorceries.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Well into NG+ and I just ran into Night's Cavalry for the first time. This game.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Well into NG+ and I just ran into Night's Cavalry for the first time. This game.

Oh yeah there's a whole ton of interesting weapons, ashes and spells you're only going to get wandering around at night

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
100%'d the cheevos after having to start ng+ to get the legendary spear out of leyndell

The intro makes a lot more sense after having played through once

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Goddamn full Inferno Prelate armour with dual thorn whips goes hard. You need an asston of endurance and probably some sort of equipload ring, but you look rad and that's all that matters

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I decided to install Elden Ring Reforged and I just whipped Godskin Noble by deflecting half of his hits and two handing a rapier. Mod fun. Game fun.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Exploring at night time sure is something. Visiting that one merchant in Caelid can be a real clusterfuck if you go a little off the beaten path.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Wyvernil posted:

One difference is going down to Weeping Peninsula early on to pick up the Morning Star, since it's a bleed weapon with easy-to-meet stat requirements you can use to beat the sleeping dragon (this step can be skipped as a Samurai or Bandit since you already start with a bleed weapon).

Then, the levels you get from the dragon can be used to meet the requirements of whatever weapon you want to use, and then dump the rest into Vigor (with a few points in Endurance if you need the armor). Although this can be mitigated early on by dipping into the fort next to the dragon for Radagon's Soreseal to boost your physical stats.

Funny, this is now my strategy and I pick Wretch as a starting character.

If you're on horseback when that final hit lands, you can sprint to the site of grace and rest before the animation finishes. You'll get the runes and the dragon will be back.

Bye bye early game struggles :)

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I hit someone in Jarburg and now i feel like a monster :cry:

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Hawkperson posted:

Go pray for absolution right fuckin now

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

how do I do that

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Hawkperson posted:

how do I do that

Take yo rear end to CHURCH

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Bathe in mountain dew: celestial blue.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Hawkperson posted:

You are.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hawkperson posted:

how do I do that

There's a monument next to the turtle pope. You need an item called celestial dew.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I saw a big one buried in the ground and thought it was like the other guy who wanted a whack on the behind :smith:

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

none of this sounds familiar so I may have to live in sin until I discover these things

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Smacking jar people doesn't know the turtle pope

You are a monster

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
TIL there’s a jar burg, gently caress

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I didn't either until I killed the last boss and searched the Internet for everything I missed

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Turtle pope church is one of the best characters in the game and effectively required if you want to be a faith spell based player! It's also in Liurna and very prominently marked on the map.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Turtle pope church is one of the best characters in the game and effectively required if you want to be a faith spell based player! It's also in Liurna and very prominently marked on the map.

I always give him all the scrolls and books in every run. Everyone else is too sketchy/unreliable. Turtle pope is Solid

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

he's the best one to give all scrolls and books to because he is excited to learn it all, and he can't get around too well these days

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Hawkperson posted:

none of this sounds familiar so I may have to live in sin until I discover these things

It's just up the road from Jarburg, keep heading North. Do not hit the turtle even if you like its hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've never hit a single turtle in this game ecclesiastical or not.