Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Am I crazy or is there some gentlemen's agreement not to discuss the spoilers anywhere? It's not even up on mythicspoiler.

??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I didn't see that you had to click through. Seems silly not to put em front and center.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

fadam posted:

I’ll be surprised if they do, at least entirely. There’s a Knight sub theme in this set, and Ixalan is probably gonna have knights too. Seems like it might be seeding for knight/castle stuff in Eldraine 2.

I really liked the first cycle of castles, I hope the rare land cycle in the new set is as cool.

I just want Locthwain and Embereth straight up reprinted, they can make new versions of the other ones if they want

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Silhouette posted:

I just want Locthwain and Embereth straight up reprinted, they can make new versions of the other ones if they want

bad news about castle locthwain

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
dont care about the lore, they should just print cards as needed regardless of the story. who cares if it got blown up or something im not reading that poo poo

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

It got brought back by magic. It's fuckin Magic the Gathering

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

It got brought back by magic. It's fuckin Magic the Gathering

this

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Just have flavour text that’s like “this is castle locthwain minutes before it got blown up.”

I think the castles are my favourite cycle of rare utility lands they’ve printed recently, but the Kamigawa ones are obviously insanely good too. I think almost all ten have seen play in a bunch of different formats, absolute home run for both cycles imo.

fadam fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 22, 2023

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Somehow, Locthwain returned

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

fadam posted:

Just have flavour text that’s like “this is castle locthwain minutes before it got blown up.”

I think the castles are my favourite cycle of rare utility lands they’ve printed recently, but the Kamigawa ones are obviously insanely good too. I think almost all ten have seen play in a bunch of different formats, absolute home run for both cycles imo.

Yeah, the castles are loving great. Even Garenbrig looks like a stinker at first glance, but then it dawns on you that the text basically reads "t: add GG" in the right deck and then you have a 6mv creature out a turn early

Edit: also the Castles aren't legendary, so the Locthwain that got destroyed isn't the Locthwain, it's a Locthwain :v:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Make the castles vehicles. Castletanks are under utilized and only used in one weird dragon quest side game.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Come to think on it, was MoM the first set in forever without a rare land cycle?

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Come to think on it, was MoM the first set in forever without a rare land cycle?

It's the first one without a rare one at all in a very long time.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i like the landcycling creatures better tbqh as limited fixing

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Just reprint the cycle with new art showing the castles as ruins, and include flavor-text appropriate to each color about how even though the court has fallen, its ideals still live on in the dark times ahead.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

LotV is in DMU even there's no in story reason for it lol, chain veil has been on Ravnica this entire time, there's even flavor text mentioning it this set.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It's in the painting behind her... it's like the equivalent of the bugs bunny gun meme

edit: lord forgive me

alternate: trust no one, not even yourself

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 23, 2023

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
The lore reason was something dumb like "she was remembering what it was like to use the Chain Veil" during her side-story

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

Just reprint the cycle with new art showing the castles as ruins, and include flavor-text appropriate to each color about how even though the court has fallen, its ideals still live on in the dark times ahead.

The Castle Lochtwain reprint is just a giant smoldering crater with a tiny Ayara lying in it, Yamcha'd for all the relevance her transformation to Furnace Queen mattered before the entire Phyrexian invasion force got dunked on by loving Rankle.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

mycomancy posted:

It crashes and the hands it's giving me seem different than before the MOM patch, like their randomizer broke. Over nine months of playing and I've never seen it give me a 6 land or a 0 land hand, I've had that happen multiple times over the course of the last week.

If there aren't some "patterns" in a random output with a vast vast number of samples then it's not random

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mr. Locke posted:

The Castle Lochtwain reprint is just a giant smoldering crater with a tiny Ayara lying in it, Yamcha'd for all the relevance her transformation to Furnace Queen mattered before the entire Phyrexian invasion force got dunked on by loving Rankle.
rankle rules and phyrexians drool, so it fits.

also prozd did another mtg ad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZJDFgWouPU&hd=1

not as good as the cow ad he did but I like it, I feel like I really "get" Red Guy

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

MrL_JaKiri posted:

If there aren't some "patterns" in a random output with a vast vast number of samples then it's not random

Yesterday I tried to play in the Standard Metagame event and got two hands in a row with zero lands on the play. I can't even get through a Bo3 on my brand new Pixel phone without it crashing. What in the Christ.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

mycomancy posted:

Yesterday I tried to play in the Standard Metagame event and got two hands in a row with zero lands on the play. I can't even get through a Bo3 on my brand new Pixel phone without it crashing. What in the Christ.

Both of these aren't particularly unusual (the latter especially)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mycomancy posted:

this is what you get for not buying an iphone like a true gamer

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Arivia posted:

this is what you get for not buying an iphone like a true gamer

:shepspends:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

mycomancy posted:

TBH this happens to me a fair amount in paper too, it's just not that uncommon an occurrence I feel like?

Although maybe they were previously mitigating it or something so that it was less likely to open with a bad hand?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

If you're used to BO1, going to BO3 will be a bit of a shock to the system because there's no hand smoothing algorithm.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Looks like people are getting their Academics from the professor, which makes me very excited for mine. Here's an excellent review of it that only makes me happier I picked it up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wninzStTLME

Click bait thumbnail, but the video is good.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

rankle rules and phyrexians drool, so it fits.

also prozd did another mtg ad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZJDFgWouPU&hd=1

not as good as the cow ad he did but I like it, I feel like I really "get" Red Guy

I would like to watch some entire matcha played out in this manner with prozd being all the creatures and spells. MtG doesn't have the content creator enthusiasm behind it like Hearthstone did. Does MtG even have their equivalent of a Trollden?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I would have loved an academic at half size for like normal 75 cards constructed

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I probably would have gotten one if he didn't put it up on kickstarter the month after they went crazy for crypto garbage I closed my account.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I just didn't see the Kickstarter till too late. If this thing is good I don't see why they don't just produce it normally? I'd buy a couple. Gamegenic has the nicest deck boxes and it feels nice to have them match to some extent.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

MrL_JaKiri posted:

If you're used to BO1, going to BO3 will be a bit of a shock to the system because there's no hand smoothing algorithm.

...oh, I thought that algo applied to all formats.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Black creature with vigilance?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

mycomancy posted:

...oh, I thought that algo applied to all formats.

lol

Arena did a disservice to the population as a whole by doing any hand smoothing because it has invited (not from mycomancy, just generally) wild speculation and people who make up so much poo poo about how rigged the game is

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Time posted:

lol

Arena did a disservice to the population as a whole by doing any hand smoothing because it has invited (not from mycomancy, just generally) wild speculation and people who make up so much poo poo about how rigged the game is

Arena COULD be "rigging" hands because an update broke their randomizer among other things. vOv

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

mycomancy posted:

Arena COULD be "rigging" hands because an update broke their randomizer among other things. vOv

there are thousands of people logging hundreds of thousands of games. anything outside of the bounds of normal would be noticed exceptionally fast

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Time posted:

there are thousands of people logging hundreds of thousands of games. anything outside of the bounds of normal would be noticed exceptionally fast

K

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Weird Pumpkin posted:

TBH this happens to me a fair amount in paper too, it's just not that uncommon an occurrence I feel like?

Although maybe they were previously mitigating it or something so that it was less likely to open with a bad hand?

Only happens when you don't manaweave :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

If you think the game is rigged against you why are you still playing?