Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Maya doesn't have a key. She's just a badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

I'm guessing its the same old key, just she doesnt use it at all.

Pretty sure Incubus took that one.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

M_Gargantua posted:

Maya doesn't have a key. She's just a badass.

What's the thing in her forehead though? It's clearly embedded in the same way keys are, so it's probably not just ornamental. And we can see on this page that it glows with her will in the same way that Keys do.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

There Bias Two posted:

What's the thing in her forehead though? It's clearly embedded in the same way keys are, so it's probably not just ornamental. And we can see on this page that it glows with her will in the same way that Keys do.

lots of characters have those markings, including meti, but when they flare then it’s an expression of their personal power or resolve. only Alison and the demiurges have keys

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
You manifest the forehead sparkle the exact same way you manifest a doom sound effect and pitch black shadows on a bright sunny day

Tho thinking of it, with her facial scars and hair, she really DOES resemble scarred inky boi crossed over with his short haired shave look on these pages.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

coolusername posted:

You manifest the forehead sparkle the exact same way you manifest a doom sound effect and pitch black shadows on a bright sunny day

I carry around a speaker and green screen on my person at all times for such occasions.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Thundarr posted:

Oh. Carry on with speculation then!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S1EzkRpelY

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

Do we know anything about the Key that Meti now possesses? I assume it's one of the lesser ones.

Maya bears a Ley-Stone. It's not a true Key, but it does act as a focal point and intensifier of one's skill, just to a much lesser degree.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

ThaumPenguin posted:

Maya bears a Ley-Stone. It's not a true Key, but it does act as a focal point and intensifier of one's skill, just to a much lesser degree.

I love that magic in this setting is called The Art of Lying to the Face of God. Literally the Douglas Adams flying joke.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

What's the true name of God?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FuturePastNow posted:

What's the true name of God?

Jeff.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

You just had to pick the worst first name of all time huh

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

only Alison and the demiurges have keys

no. allison has the true key, the original formed by zoss with the syllables of god, stolen from metatron. there are many with copies of the original, with the demiurges having consolidated many of them within their own.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

funny enough, the original answer would work just as well

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

One of the reasons I love this comic so much is how it handles the tremendous forces at work here. This scene where Meti asks that question about death is one final test.

I think Meti knows that if all goes well. Allison will likely be a new 'Zoss' and have a large amount of power and control over what happens next. Will she be just? a tyrant? Be evil while having good intentions? If she's an idiot, will it be the good or bad kind?

I think one of the reasons Meti looks relieved is that Allison, despite how much power Allison has isn't trying to push some agenda, or has ideas about how to control or shape all of creation, but simply wants to undo the dire situation they are in.

That old phrase "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." comes to mind here. If you look at the other demiurges, they had personal philosophies that governed how they ran things. All of their systems, for good or ill, were built from their personal belief systems. All of them turned evil to some degree becasue of weaknesses in their personal belief systems. The comment that Mottom made about how even she was ruled by fear comes to mind. Solomon is also ruled by fear of losing the world me made, ETC. Most of them that come into great power have some flaw deep inside their philosophy that manifests itself horribly in how they use that power.

When Meti asks that question, she's probing Allison to see exactly what kind of Demiurge Allison would be, What is she going to do with this power.

And honestly, she hasn't thought much about it at all. Despite what she's learned, from her experience and teachers she hasn't been 'poisoned' by anything yet.

Allison isn't picking a philosophy and then persuing power to achieve it. Nor seeking power for the sake of having it. She's focused on survival, justice, and defeating the baldfaced evil she's come across.

Allison is still somewhat pure, despite her experiences, and that is why Meti seems relieved. Meti's last reservation about training Allison to the utmost is gone.

Tenasscity fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 22, 2023

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I only just remembered Meti has a nose piercing and didn't shed a single tear when Alison gave the perfect answer.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm just in the thread for everyone who keeps saying Meti when they mean Maya

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

We should use her full name every time

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Niavmai posted:

no. allison has the true key, the original formed by zoss with the syllables of god, stolen from metatron. there are many with copies of the original, with the demiurges having consolidated many of them within their own.

The demiurges have all 777,777 of them, the big issue at the very start was the fear that even one had gone missing and it would be enough to unbalance the thing. They do create emissaries where they loan out 1 of their 111,111 of the share of things, but those are rare to the point where I think we've seen one (1) so far and it was 000001. I think mostly all 777,777 are in the demiurges' heads and it's only by their permission there's probably like 10 individual ones walking around the multiverse.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Meti loving dunked on King Commander Of The Middle Army Mathangi Murder The Gods And Topple Their Thrones, or Maya for short

Stupid sexy sword auntie

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

FlocksOfMice posted:

The demiurges have all 777,777 of them, the big issue at the very start was the fear that even one had gone missing and it would be enough to unbalance the thing. They do create emissaries where they loan out 1 of their 111,111 of the share of things, but those are rare to the point where I think we've seen one (1) so far and it was 000001. I think mostly all 777,777 are in the demiurges' heads and it's only by their permission there's probably like 10 individual ones walking around the multiverse.

One thing I'm not sure about : since there are as many keys as there are universes, does that mean a herald with a single key lended to them can only use it to navigate from Throne to one world and back, or can it be used to travel freely?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Turns out the keys just have the power to do anything you want them to do. Only lame non-royalty categorizes them by world and wiki

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

YaketySass posted:

One thing I'm not sure about : since there are as many keys as there are universes, does that mean a herald with a single key lended to them can only use it to navigate from Throne to one world and back, or can it be used to travel freely?

Every Key has one Door to one universe. Alison's key is special because it's the only one that gives her the ability to freely travel between worlds.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The keys open the gates, and give you "absolute power" over that world. They're ALSO just really strong pure god energy that you can use like a sharp rock.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

YaketySass posted:

As I understand it each key is tuned to one universe. Allison has the master key that can open any of them.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

FlocksOfMice posted:

I think we've seen three or four of the emissary keys? Mammon's #1 had one, one was stolen sometime in the past by Yabalchoath (though those two might be the same key), one of Solomon's aides had one and Incubus gave one to Allison so he could get inside her head.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yabalchoath didn't just steal an emissary key fragment, which still draws power from the demiurge itself. She stole an actual fragment of a true key. That's what is so unprecidented - outside of the 7, since Zoss went missing with the master key, no one else has had their hands on that power since the war.

Until Allison, of course.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Little Mouse I will teach you the ancient technique of Updog

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Shoehead posted:

Little Mouse I will teach you the ancient technique of Updog

Is that similar to the power of Bofa?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

YaketySass posted:

p sure 777,777 keeps popping up for the same reason that like there's always 10,000 of anything in Chinese mythology - it's not a specific count or significant to the totally real and discernible physics of Throne it's just a more evocative way to say "too many to count". Take away one universe, or one key, and there'll still be 777,777.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

nah in this case I think it's also literal, since the universes stem from the number of gods?

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

nah in this case I think it's also literal, since the universes stem from the number of gods?

... which is also likely a metaphor

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Niavmai posted:

Yeah. It's like how '40' is often used in the bible as a shorthand for 'a long time.' Like 40 days or years wandering the desert.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Niavmai posted:

idk there are corpses of the gods in throne i'm pretty sure you can just count them

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Maya: What do you think about death?

Allison: I don't think about it at all.

Maya: :)

Allison: I do think about how to win.

Maya: :mad:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

you could try but I'm pretty sure the guild of census-takers would find out and stab you for it before you even got into five digits

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Keys open universes, but you don’t need the key to ride the lightning (travel by division) to an open universe. In theory someone with a key could probably “close” a universe but it’s not clear that would keep someone like Jagganoth out. Or maybe it’s a one-way thing.

Very few characters can ride the lightning, and nearly all of them are demiurges or emissaries or Allison - the one exception I can think of is Juggernaut Star.

Of course, the original demiurges including Zoss were people who rode the lightning from their home worlds to Throne without a key, so they were all extremely powerful without the keys - and Zoss is described as ‘breaking the gates of heaven’ when he first arrived, so he has to be even more capable in his powers to do so.

The big thing keys can do is open a permanent gate to a world, which is how that world can be brought under the heel of a demiurge and their government; Mottom had a long list of unopened worlds that she opened one by one, slowly, so her colonial forces could strip them bare. I assume Solomon David had already opened all of his, same with Jagganoth.

And yeah the number does seem to be literal and specific, while also being ‘very cool’ - it being divisible by 7 is why there’s 7 demiurges. That’s the smallest group that could evenly divide them iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Joe Slowboat posted:

And yeah the number does seem to be literal and specific, while also being ‘very cool’ - it being divisible by 7 is why there’s 7 demiurges. That’s the smallest group that could evenly divide them iirc

777,777 is evenly divisible by three. You could have a triumvirate.